Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
DiracPool said:
Well, he did lecture Clarise at some point, didn't he?
:oldlaugh: The hell he did! He didn't, he analyzed her.
Why at a certain night the lamb doesn't bleat. Her father killed them. "And you can only get all the way to the F . B . I", the only quote that I remember

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, I remember something. It's Clarice, not Clarise. Clarice Starling. It's been 20 years ago, it's classic all right. Not that I like horor/sadist movie.

DiracPool said:
I just realized that Hannibal rhymes with cannibal!
How can you only have just realized it‽ The FBI agents refer to him as "Hannibal the Cannibal" right there in the film. That's his official serial killer nickname, just like the other one is "Buffalo Bill."
Now it all makes sense. Silence of the lambs came out in 1991 and I just put that together. Jeez. Now it makes sense why Hannibal Lecturer wanted Chianti with his human brains :woot:
Not brains:

"A census taker tried to count me. I et his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

zoobyshoe said:
"A census taker tried to count me. I et his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

Ok, you got me. It's been close to a quarter century since I've seen that movie, so gimme a break o0)

DiracPool said:
Ok, you got me. It's been close to a quarter century since I've seen that movie, so gimme a break o0)
Of all movie, Star Trek, Gravity, I Robot, you guys choose Hannibal Lecter :olduhh:

DiracPool said:
I just realized that Hannibal rhymes with cannibal! Now it all makes sense.
Stephanus said:
Of all movie, Star Trek, Gravity, I Robot, you guys choose Hannibal Lecter :olduhh:
O.K. Let's start over...

I just realized Gravity rhymes with depravity! Now it all makes sense!

Likes OmCheeto, Silicon Waffle and Stephanus
Today I learned that most people do not realize the importance of vitamin K2 and that it's in availabe in very low quantities in food.

I sometimes say to telemarketers:

"No, you've reached Hannibal Lecter . Guess who's coming to dinner . "

Likes zoobyshoe, Silicon Waffle and OmCheeto
:oldsmile: I learned about this today. I would also like to know any apparently supportive evidence of positive mutations in human beings (something like gifted X-Man's hands)

Today I learned that the every action has an equal and an opposite reaction except when Newton started rapping.

DUR!

Today I learned that tomato juice is actually ineffective against skunk spray oder.

The effective solution is to use hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and hand soap:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Removal_of_Skunk_Odor/Removing_Odor.

Caveat: This remedy cannot be premixed and stored as it will explode(?). So says the article.

zoobyshoe said:
Today I learned that tomato juice is actually ineffective against skunk spray oder.

The effective solution is to use hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and hand soap:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Removal_of_Skunk_Odor/Removing_Odor.

Caveat: This remedy cannot be premixed and stored as it will explode(?). So says the article.
Any particular reason that you were looking that up? Hope you weren't reading out of necessity. :wideeyed:

Borg said:
Any particular reason that you were looking that up? Hope you weren't reading out of necessity. :wideeyed:
No, no necessity. But a long story:

I just got done reading a novel whose plot revolved around an extinct American species, Miller's Weasel. Googling, I discovered it's completely fictional. Miller's Weasel never existed and was invented by the author to represent a species thought to be extinct but which was discovered to still exist. Regardless, that lead me to look up weasel, which lead me to pole cat. This confused me, since I thought a pole cat was a skunk. I had to google skunk, and happened across tomato juice being a myth.

Likes Stephanus
We all Google differently. The phrase "fictional species" led me to think of a Snipe Hunt. Today I learned that there is such a thing as a Snipe which is where the word sniper comes from.
The origin of the term is a practical joke where inexperienced campers are told about an imaginary bird or animal called the "snipe" as well as a usually preposterous method of catching it, such as running around the woods carrying a bag or making strange noises such as banging rocks together. Real Snipe (a family of shorebirds) are difficult to catch for experienced hunters, so much so that the word "sniper" is derived from it to refer to anyone skilled enough to shoot one.

Likes OmCheeto and Enigman
zoobyshoe said:
No, no necessity. But a long story:

I just got done reading a novel whose plot revolved around an extinct American species, Miller's Weasel. Googling, I discovered it's completely fictional. Miller's Weasel never existed and was invented by the author to represent a species thought to be extinct but which was discovered to still exist. Regardless, that lead me to look up weasel, which lead me to pole cat. This confused me, since I thought a pole cat was a skunk. I had to google skunk, and happened across tomato juice being a myth.
Today I learned that somewhere out there, there are people like me. Googling after reading a novel. But in the case of Da Vinci Code, well.. Google, Wikipedia, discussion with my friends and my pastor, but not to my children.

TIL that google is more paranoid than me!:mad: Every time I sing into my account from another device it sends me this email:

Someone just used your password to try to sign into your Google Account

:oldlaugh:

Lisa! said:
TIL that google is more paranoid than me!:mad: Every time I sing into my account from another device it sends me this email:

:oldlaugh:
I guess that I can't use Google because I can't sing. :oldwink:

Likes OmCheeto
Borg said:
It's a typo, it's "SIGN" :biggrin:

Likes Lisa!
TIL that "TIL" is the short for "Today I Learned".

Lisa! said:
I get that mail with my computer as well, no need to switch devices.

Stephanus said:
Today I learned that somewhere out there, there are people like me. Googling after reading a novel. But in the case of Da Vinci Code, well.. Google, Wikipedia, discussion with my friends and my pastor, but not to my children.
I think most people at PF would google while/after reading a novel except that most people at PF don't have time to read novels.

zoobyshoe said:
I think most people at PF would google while/after reading a novel except that most people at PF don't have time to read novels.
When character "Robert Langdon" almost shouted to the japanese CIA director woman "Google is not the synonym of research!" I didn't google "The Lost Symbol" I Bing

Borg said:

Oops! I made that mistake again!

mfb said:
I get that mail with my computer as well, no need to switch devices.

So I'm not the only 1 that Google is worried about!:angel:

Lisa! said:
So I'm not the only 1 that Google is worried about!:angel:
That worried about Google? My English is not good. But I think this is what you mean.

Borg said:
We all Google differently. The phrase "fictional species" led me to think of a Snipe Hunt. Today I learned that there is such a thing as a Snipe which is where the word sniper comes from.
hmmm... It's been a while since I've been called a "Snipe".

3. Snipe [urban dictionary]
Navy slang for crewmen who work below decks, especially in the engine room.
Used in a sentence: "The world of the aircraft carrier is largely inhabited by snipes, deck apes, airdales, and zeros."

I have no idea how we got that name.
hmmmm...
google google google

Ah ha!

TIL:
http://navyformoms.com/group/snipemomsenginers/forum/topics/1971797:Topic:255527 [navyformomsdotcom]
Posted by Becky on June 6, 2008

Along about this time came an Engineer Officer by the name of John Snipes.
[...blah blah blah...]
They became known as Snipe's men and over the years as just Snipes.

old.snipes.never.die.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Stephanus said:
That worried about Google? My English is not good. But I think this is what you mean.

Nope, I meant Google is worried about me!

OmCheeto said:
hmmm... It's been a while since I've been called a "Snipe".

3. Snipe [urban dictionary]
Navy slang for crewmen who work below decks, especially in the engine room.
Used in a sentence: "The world of the aircraft carrier is largely inhabited by snipes, deck apes, airdales, and zeros."

I have no idea how we got that name.
hmmmm...
google google google

Ah ha!

TIL:
old.snipes.never.die.jpg
Snipes are birds which inhabit marshy, low-lying areas near bodies of water:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe

Because of their erratic flying pattern when startled, snipes are particularly difficult to hunt with a gun, which is why "snipe hunt" stands for a difficult or impossible task.

A "sniper" is one who is especially skilled at using a gun to make a difficult shot, such as bringing down a bird which intentionally flies erratically to escape danger.

Likes Silicon Waffle
SteamKing said:
Snipes are birds which inhabit marshy, low-lying areas near bodies of water:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe

Because of their erratic flying pattern when startled, snipes are particularly difficult to hunt with a gun, which is why "snipe hunt" stands for a difficult or impossible task.

A "sniper" is one who is especially skilled at using a gun to make a difficult shot, such as bringing down a bird which intentionally flies erratically to escape danger.

Ummm... I think Borg posted that. But now you've got me thinking. How did John Snipes get the surname?

google google google

Ah ha!
Snipes Early Origins [houseofnamesdotcom]
The name is derived from the Old English word "snaep" or the Old Norman word "snap" which means "dweller by the pasture"

This is fun. :smile:

Likes Borg
OmCheeto said:
This is fun. :smile:
I agree. It's been a crappy week for me and this is a great way to relieve the stress.

Googling the word 'sniping' led me to XKCD. :woot:

nerd_sniping.png

Likes Buzz Bloom and OmCheeto
Borg said:
I agree. It's been a crappy week for me and this is a great way to relieve the stress.

Googling the word 'sniping' led me to XKCD. :woot:

Oh. My. God.
That is tooooooo funny. :DD

On to something new that I learned.

I wanted to review the sine rules so I Googled sin of x + y and got a 3D rotating plot.

How to Graph Equations in Google:
YpVChn67K-5c2DgUfAiH02GYFwtbHPpuNIlVBmE3h9gzEQCsHMMDzeN757-Y1ZLSXfkD_UKy=w450.png

Tips
  • To plot multiple functions together, separate the formulas with a comma.
  • To explore the function in more detail, zoom in and out and pan across the plane.
Functions you can graph
  • Trigonometric
  • Exponential
  • Logarithmic
  • 3D graphs (for desktop browsers that support WebGL)

Likes Czcibor
Borg said:

There are other types of Snipes that live deep inside ships.

16059132392_9d8ce264ce_z.jpg

http://navyformoms.com/group/snipemomsenginers/forum/topics/1971797:Topic:255527

nsaspook said:
There are other types of Snipes that live deep inside ships.

16059132392_9d8ce264ce_z.jpg

http://navyformoms.com/group/snipemomsenginers/forum/topics/1971797:Topic:255527

/me rolls eyes...

OmCheeto said:
/me rolls eyes...

I will omit the details of the Snipe initiation rite of passage called greasing as it's not something you want to learn today.

Likes OmCheeto