Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
Today I learned that the accent in the word "electrophorus" is on the third syllable: elecTROphorus. Hitherto, I thought it would be on the fourth syllable, but I watched a youtube that made me question that notion and look it up.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just learned from my daughters boyfriend that he's into parkour. Here's a video him and some of his friends in Denver.

nsaspook said:
I will omit the details of the Snipe initiation rite of passage called greasing as it's not something you want to learn today.

shhhhh! What happens below decks, stays below decks. :biggrin:

OmCheeto said:
shhhhh! What happens below decks, stays below decks. :biggrin:

As it should be, we will not speak of this again.
Sometimes I had to descent to the depths of Snipedom to check the pit-sword or fathometer transducer at the bottom of the ship. It's was always done covertly while wearing a oily never washed set of ripped overalls. Once I was almost discovered but I had a big chaw of chewing tobacco that I spit on the greasy floor in the dim light causing the snipe to smile and walk away after thinking I was a fellow dweller of the dark.

This (the tobacco part) didn't really happen but I did carry a big knife in the tool bag.

I was on good terms with most of the snipes as I liked what they liked, fast girls, faster motorcycles, guns and booze so we usually partied together off the boat. There were some that did scare me, like the guy in the middle of my photo under the dip-sticks. His nickname was Elmo and he rarely came out of the hole even in port.

Last edited:
Likes OmCheeto
What I learned today is that society wants to compartmentalize you. So speak only within your compartment, or face the consequences...

Likes Silicon Waffle
When the media gets it really wrong, . . . . Oxytots - Instead of learning from the unfounded hysteria of the crack baby era, we're repeating it.
https://screen.yahoo.com/viewfinder/crack-babies-oxytots-lessons-not-120000652.html

Likes OmCheeto
Astronuc said:
When the media gets it really wrong, . . . . Oxytots - Instead of learning from the unfounded hysteria of the crack baby era, we're repeating it.

Is oxycontin still being abused? I think they worked out a fix (no pun intended) where they "disabused" the pills from being broken down in order to be injected or snorted. Junkies are clever at overcoming these prophylactic measures, but I thought we had a handle on this. As far as the Oxytots, it's a grim prospect. I recommend the book "Three dog nightmare" by Chuck Negron, lead singer of Three dog night. There's a chapter in there where his wife gave birth to his kid and she was hooked on about 200 mg of methadone a day during the whole pregnancy. The birth was a difficult one and Chuck talks about how the hospital staff looked at them like they were scum, and that's exactly the way he felt.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1580630405/?tag=pfamazon01-20

DiracPool said:
Is oxycontin still being abused?
The article on crack babies lead to another article on addiction to Opana and other drugs in small rural communities and a resurgence of AIDS from the sharing of contaminated needles. Apparently abuse/addiction to prescription drugs is a significant problem in the country.
https://screen.yahoo.com/viewfinder/hiv-heartland-174014869.html

DIY Tractor Repair Runs Afoul Of Copyright Law
http://www.npr.org/sections/alltech...iy-tractor-repair-runs-afoul-of-copyright-law

The iconic image of the American farmer is the man or woman who works the land, milks cows and is self-reliant enough to fix the tractor. But like a lot of mechanical items, tractors are increasingly run by computer software. Now, farmers are hitting up against an obscure provision of copyright law that makes it illegal to repair machinery run by software.
There is something wrong with this.

Astronuc said:
There is something wrong with this.
:oldconfused:

From the article:

... He waited a day for the John Deere rep.

"The tech came out and it took him a couple hours to diagnose that there was one small sensor out. And that one small sensor, I think it was a $120 part."

The problem with this setup is that in farming timing is everything. When the soil is soft enough to till you have to go; when the crop is ripe you have to pick it.

"So if you have a small problem that does not allow your tractor to operate and you have downtime it's costing you money and a lot of stress," he says.

Sounds like this is a good reason for court order compensation?

I actually learned the following on Monday, when I went on a two hour, lunchtime river cruise with my sister.
They had infotainment loudspeakers around the ship, which spewed out interesting facts and figures, half of which I was not aware of, even being a local.
Anyways, the funniest thing I learned, was regarding one of our bridges that is now being replaced.
Bridges have what is called a "sufficiency rating", which goes from 0 to 100. 100 being the best.
The bridge in question, had a sufficiency rating of 2.

I see I've mentioned the bridge at least couple of times in the past:

Cracks in Sellwood Bridge fixed … with glue
[ref PF, May 2013]

It also came up in another thread regarding taxes. Probably the most horrible thread I've ever been a part of. I shall not link to it.

Here was one person's solution as to how to properly fund bridge repairs:
Sell it to someone who will make it a toll road.

On the aforementioned river cruise, they said that all of the bridges used to be privately owned. That was in the olden days, when bridges were made of wood. So we had bridge owners, all wanting to make money, by having people going over their bridge.
According to the river cruise infotainment loudspeakers, bridges were mysteriously catching fire, around 3 am. hmmmm... (they may have embellished this, for entertainment value, but I didn't care, and laughed, quite heartily. :smile: )

In addition to the $127 million from Multnomah County, the City of Portland has agreed to provide $100 million...

OmCheeto said:
Cracks in Sellwood Bridge fixed … with glue
I'll bet that 'glue" has some " Portland cement " in it too ... lol

Today I learned about the difference between a PS2 to USB adapter and a PS2 to USB converter.
Note: having electrical connections is not sufficient sometimes.

Unrelated: A Grumman F-11 Tiger shot down itself.

Likes OmCheeto
TIL how to teach my computer(mac) how to filter junk emails.
Shift + Command + J

I think I was supposed to have been doing this since I bought it.

Some Indonesian Muslim and local old men I met yesterday advised me to get married claiming that wives will keep their spouses from being less or completely zero homosexual.
psss...some of them are CEOs and scientists too.

"Rescued" one of these from local metal recycler 's crusher.

TIL the brushes in end of motor can get stuck after years of grimy buildup and lose contact so it won't run anymore.
But the brush holders come out by gently tapping from the inside.

Cleaned them up and it runs fine.

DW872_1_500X500.jpg
I couldn't afford one new, but it was sure worth gambling the $5 scrap price and an afternoon !

Likes lisab, OmCheeto, Astronuc and 2 others
jim hardy said:
"Rescued" one of these from local metal recycler 's crusher.

TIL the brushes in end of motor can get stuck after years of grimy buildup and lose contact so it won't run anymore.
But the brush holders come out by gently tapping from the inside.

Cleaned them up and it runs fine.

DW872_1_500X500.jpg
I couldn't afford one new, but it was sure worth gambling the $5 scrap price and an afternoon !
What is that used to cut ?

Steel.

Bystander said:
Steel.
Nah. The teeth are spaced too far apart. That's a radial arm saw for cutting flooring or crown molding accurately.

Borg said:
spaced too far apart
Oops --- need new glasses.
Borg said:
radial arm chop
... and, so do you. I just looked at the configuration and "saw" an abrasive cut-off blade.

Borg said:
Nah. The teeth are spaced too far apart. That's a radial arm saw for cutting flooring or crown molding accurately.
It's a chop saw, not a radial arm saw. In a chop saw the blade/motor pivots up and down. In a radial arm saw the blade/motor runs forward and back in a track

The blades are interchangable. The blade shown would not be good for steel, but they make abrasive disks that work on steel. The blade shown actually looks very much like one I once used to cut aluminum tubing.

My bad. Yes, there is no arm to it. I have one like it and always refer to it (incorrectly) that way.

... and today we all learned that people throw tools away rather than take the two minutes to clean brushes on a motor. Thanks, Jim.

Likes jim hardy
Yes it's a chop saw. Was sans blade but the residue on it was metal not wood. With a new abrasive cutoff blade for metal It throws a stream of sparks about 12 feet behind but the deflector directs them slightly downward. Looks like Buck Rogers' rocket engine.
It labors a bit on 1/4 inch steel plate but with the toothed blade shown in that picture (from their catalog) it would cut wood like a woodchuck.

I think it's part of my autism i can't stand to see good machinery wasted . A lot of aluminum boats go through the scrap yard, and I've rescued several antique outboards.
I'm learning how to wire washing machine motors for workshop applications, how else can you get a 1/2 hp electric motor for under 5 bucks ? Whirlpools are easy now.

Does PF need a "handyman's corner " ? I'm sensitive about PF's image, don't want to lower the academic standards with my play.

Last edited:
Likes OmCheeto
I find the rescue things are repeated quite a lot too, which makes me think like things being rescued are dumb or disrespectful or without any sincere gratitude.
What a practical "rescue" it does sound!

jim hardy said:
Does PF need a "handyman's corner " ?
Sounds like a great idea --- post it in Feedback, and I'll second it.

Likes OmCheeto
zoobyshoe said:
The blade shown would not be good for steel...
That's probably true, however, a company named Scotchman Industries makes a http://www.scotchman.com/cold-saws/ that does have metal cutting teeth...

My wife is from Philip, South Dakota, so while there visiting in-laws ... I went through the plant.....:oldcool:

The company is primarily known for a product called the Scotchman Ironworker, which we used way back in welding school... that be, waaaay back.... lol

Here's the 350 cold saw in operation...

Their YouTube channel...

They very definitely make good products... although, a tad on the $$$ side.

Likes OmCheeto
Silicon Waffle said:
What is that used to cut ?

Red tape.

Likes Silicon Waffle
OCR said:
That's probably true, however, a company named Scotchman Industries makes a http://www.scotchman.com/cold-saws/ that does have metal cutting teeth...

My wife is from Philip, South Dakota, so while there visiting in-laws ... I went through the plant.....:oldcool:

The company is primarily known for a product called the Scotchman Ironworker, which we used way back in welding school... that be, waaaay back.... lol

Here's the 350 cold saw in operation...

Their YouTube channel...

They very definitely make good products... although, a tad on the $$$ side.
If you notice that saw can cut steel because it can do very low RPMs. Any blade with carbide teeth can cut steel in principle, but the average chop saw is set at a fixed RPM that is just too high: the teeth would burn up very quickly.

Any material harder than steel can be fashioned into a blade that will cut soft(unhardened) steel. In fact, hardened steel will cut soft steel, which is the situation with your average hack saw. The other variable besides relative hardness is heat removal. When a blade heats up too much it loses its hardness and will become dull. You have to either saw slowly to let the heat dissipate, or use a coolant.

zoobyshoe said:
If you notice that saw can cut steel because it can do very low RPMs.
Well yes, I did notice, in fact I noticed when I went through the plant and saw one they used as a demo...

Also, I noticed...
For ferrous material, this unique type of cutting turns the blade at a very low RPM, similar to a milling process, giving a FAST, precise, burr-free cut without heat or sparks.
http://www.scotchman.com/cold-saws/

I'm not quite following ... are you agreeing, or arguing ?

Anyway... carry on.

OCR said:
I'm not quite following ... are you agreeing, or arguing ?
I'm explicating why the saw you linked to can cut steel with a toothed blade while a "normal" chop saw couldn't.

zoobyshoe said:
I'm explicating why...
I see, so... you saw a saw, saw, that could out saw any saw you ever saw, saw... so, if ever you see a saw out

saw that saw you saw, saw... I'd like to see that saw, you saw, saw, saw too, see ?......:oldbiggrin:

Last edited: