Weird News Compilation

• News
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News Weird
In summary, a man who used to be a Fox News guest analyst and claimed to be a CIA agent was sentenced to 33 months in prison for lying about his security clearance, criminal history, and finances.
fresh_42 said:
@davenn and all other southies: Don't hesitate to tell us if we should send packages by mail!
It's almost to that stage ... 2 supermarkets I were to and the loo paper shelves were empty

Physics news on Phys.org
Some supermarkets here had ordered loo paper in advance. They had to put the palettes somewhere in the aisles as they came from the truck. People couldn't buy fast enough, ... or staff was busy with other goods ... I haven't paid much attention to it.

Here's a funny one I heard today about the toilet paper shortage:

«Some people aren't shaking hands because of the Coronavirus. I'm not shaking hands because everyone is out of toilet paper.»

• Haha
Likes Borg, nsaspook, Ibix and 2 others
I think I fell in love.

rotary-phone-83.jpg

https://nypost.com/2020/03/05/space...martphones-builds-cellphone-with-rotary-dial/

Likes Keith_McClary, BillTre and jack action
A railroad engineer tried to crash a locomotive into the USNS Mercy (hospital ship) in LA.
Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 11.39.40 AM.png

Around 1 p.m. Tuesday, Moreno allegedly ran the train at full speed off the end of the tracks near the Navy medical boat, smashing through several concrete and chain barriers, before sliding through a parking lot nearly 250 yards from the Mercy, according to the criminal complaint.

After his arrest he said:
Moreno allegedly told officers and FBI investigators that he deliberately derailed the train because he was suspicious of the Mercy's intentions and thought it was actually part of a government takeover...
"he did it out of the desire to ‘wake people up,’"

Loco with a loco. o0)

• Haha
Likes 2milehi, Tom.G, phinds and 1 other person
It might not be museum quality but I like the picture of the sailboats mounted on the wall behind the card table in the first picture. My guess is the spotted grey dog on the right smoking a pipe and drinking whiskey painted the sailboats. :smile:

• Haha
Likes berkeman
Czech nudists told to wear face masks by police

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/czech-nudists-virus-police/index.html

"Citizens are allowed to be without clothes in designated locations, but they still must cover their mouths, and only gather in appropriate numbers."

The message seems to have been heeded. The statement said a subsequent police patrol found that of 150 people encountered, only half needed reminding about masks.

"We understand that many people do not have a garden and want to get some fresh air in the countryside, but we all have one common desire to respect the government's guidelines so that the restrictions can be gradually lifted," the statement said. "That however will not happen until everyone starts to dutifully respect the rules."

• Haha
Likes BillTre, jack action and Klystron
French Fighter Jet Joy Ride Goes Très, Très Wrong
https://autos.yahoo.com/french-fighter-jet-joy-ride-203000730.html

Apparently the quick and dirty safety briefing failed to properly emphasize the fact that the black-and-yellow striped loop in the middle of the seat, between his legs, was not a grab handle but the trigger for the ejection seat. The good doctor's g-load recommendations were surely exceeded as pyrotechnics blasted a hole in the canopy and rocket motors fired the seat and its terrified denizen out into the slipstream high above the French countryside.
🤣

• Haha
Likes diogenesNY, OmCheeto and BillTre
:( This is what I get. Hope it wasn't important.

Video Unavailable
Sorry, this video could not be played.

Tom.G said:
:( This is what I get. Hope it wasn't important.

Video Unavailable
Sorry, this video could not be played.
If you're referring to the video posted by @fresh_42 in post #538, it played for me -- it showed chickens wearing and being fitted with flourescent traffic vests in case they managed to get out of their low-security fenced-in allotted barnyard, and then chanced to wander onto the paved road -- it showed some low-speed car drivers duly avoiding hitting them -- it appeared to me to be a semi-rural edge-of-village low-traffic area somewhere in Europe.

Last edited:
nsaspook said:
https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020...-wearing-bikini-under-see-through-gown-a70324

“The men in the ward had nothing against the medic’s outfit,” the Newstula.ru website reported, citing an unnamed person who shared the photo.

View attachment 263341

1. Her excuse is a good one. I personally find PPE traps a lot of body heat.
  2. I used to work in a lab in an non-air-conditioned building that got hot during the summer.
    There was a gal there who did the same thing, but with a normal opaque white lab coat.

Likes sysprog
BillTre said:
  1. Her excuse is a good one. I personally find PPE traps a lot of body heat.
  2. I used to work in a lab in an non-air-conditioned building that got hot during the summer.
    There was a gal there who did the same thing, but with a normal opaque white lab coat.
That physique is enough of an excuse.

Professional sports are a joke:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/gaming/audi-suspends-daniel-abt-after-he-cheated-online-race

Audi suspends Daniel Abt after he cheated in an online race

With no real-life electric car racing likely to take place for at least the next couple of months, since mid-April Formula-E has been hosting official online races as part of its ‘Race at Home Challenge’.

[...]

These races are contested by proper Formula-E drivers – the very same blokes who’d be racing for real had the series not been put on hold – using the rFactor2 PC sim, and taken just as seriously as the real thing.

[...]

Then the truth emerged – Abt wasn’t driving. He had enlisted a professional sim-racer called Lorenz Hoerzing to race in his car, under his name. On Sunday Abt, who’s been a Formula-E driver since 2014, was disqualified, stripped of his points and ordered to pay a €10,000 euro fine to charity.

[...]

And now Abt has been full-on suspended by Audi Sport, meaning he could well lose his seat when real-life racing eventually resumes.

Yeah, last weekend I saw that "MotoGP" racing was going to be on Xfinity mid-day Sunday, and got all excited. Heck, even if it was going to be a repeat, I was going to watch since I haven't had TV access to the races for years. I set up to record it, and just happened to be home the day and time that it was starting.

I clicked into the race, and after about 5 seconds I realized that it was the video game version of MotoGP, with little live windows of the racers sitting at home with their video game controls. I said bad words...

https://www.roadracingworld.com/wp-...05/lumzeenecvc_image_1588349912-1920x1080.png

1590519531925.png

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto, Klystron, jack action and 1 other person
berkeman said:
I said bad words...
Wait ... what? YOU said bad words? I'm shocked. Shocked I say. :oldlaugh:

• Haha
Likes Bystander and berkeman

EZZfNijUEAAL08V.jpeg
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/06/01/video-tesla-model-3-crashes-into-overturned-truck/
According to a roughly translated excerpt from CNA, the driver was expecting the car to brake without his input.

"The police said that the driver of the Tesla electric vehicle, Huang, claimed to have the vehicle assist system turned on, and the speed was fixed at 110 kilometers per hour," the article says. "He thought that the car itself would detect the obstacle and automatically brake, but he was surprised that the car did not slow down."

From this passage, it sounds like the driver was using either adaptive cruise control or some form of Tesla's Autopilot driving assistance technology, though it was not directly named or confirmed. This type of speculation sprouts from Tesla's previous issues with its Autopilot system, which is not autonomous nor self-driving. Autopilot remains a safety-focused driver assistance program that requires driver attention at all times. Self-driving cars do not exist yet.

I think that Tesla, Inc. is culpable for the misunderstanding. From https://www.tesla.com/autopilot:

Autopilot enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically within its lane.​
Current Autopilot features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous.​
and:

1591077749781.png

It seems to that something like this would be less dangerously irresponsible:

1591078193059.png

jack action said:
A convicted murderer who momentarily died says his life sentence has been served
Yeah, I read about that at the time (8 months ago) and can't fault his logic. Any follow-up on whether he got away with it?

nsaspook said:
“The men in the ward had nothing against the medic’s outfit,”[...]
Yes -- that's why the gentleman in the background has his hands folded in a strategic position over his lap. :oldeyes:

Tom.G said:
Yeah, I read about that at the time (8 months ago) and can't fault his logic. Any follow-up on whether he got away with it?
The Appellate Court affirmed the decision to dismiss ##-##
From https://cases.justia.com/iowa/court-of-appeals/2019-18-1824.pdf?ts=1573067396:
As such, the district court did not err in dismissing Schreiber’s PCR application because “no conceivable state of facts” support Schreiber’s claim. See Allison, 914 N.W.2d at 892. Schreiber is either alive, in which case he must remain in prison, or he is dead,3 in which case this appeal is moot.

3 Given Schreiber appears to have signed his name on the PCR application and his motion for reconsideration—both filed after his “death”—we find this possibility unlikely.

50070813186_90e5f4459b_b.jpg

Likes berkeman