Weird News Compilation

• News
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News Weird
In summary, a man who used to be a Fox News guest analyst and claimed to be a CIA agent was sentenced to 33 months in prison for lying about his security clearance, criminal history, and finances.
Teenager spends INR 1.6 million on PUBG in-app purchases

News article: https://indianexpress.com/article/t...khagar-pubg-16-lakh-in-app-purchases-6489572/
In a bizarre incident, a teenage boy from Punjab spent a whopping Rs 16 lakh on popular battle royale game PUBG making in-app purchases. The 17-year-old spent money from his parents’ account to buy in-game cosmetic items, artillery, passes for tournaments, and virtual ammunition...

The parents were unaware of the situation as the boy told his parents that he was using the smartphone for studying online during the lockdown... Making online transactions became easier for the boy as the bank details and card details were saved on the smartphone only. Most of the in-game transactions were made in a month’s period.

The boy’s parents revealed that they learned about the transactions upon receiving bank details. The boy would delete messages of transactions from their smartphones and often shuffled money between two accounts to avoid zeroing down the balance. The teenager also ended up emptying his mother’s provident fund and his own bank account.

Physics news on Phys.org
A true learning experience... for the parents!

Likes Wrichik Basu
Shocking!

• Haha
Likes berkeman
Q_Qbpb_Ynkc9QIu-GWMDKFqq-Vo&_nc_ht=scontent-ham3-1.jpg

• Haha
Likes jack action
No joke: Someone blackmailed the Deutsche Bank. He demanded 1,000,000 €. And he added his true bank account data at the same institute for the transfer.

Maybe it's even funnier that he got away with a monetary fine. Next blackmail will be on € 1,004,500.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes berkeman
Helicopter removes ‘Into the Wild’ bus that lured Alaska travelers to their deaths

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2020/06/18/helicopter-removes-into-the-wild-bus-that-lured-alaska-travelers-to-their-deaths/ said:
There were 15 bus-related search and rescue operations by the state between 2009 and 2017, according to Feige’s department.

In April, a Brazilian tourist was evacuated from the bus by helicopter. And last year, a newlywed woman from Belarus died after being swept away while trying to cross the Teklanika River on her way to the bus.

Another hiker drowned in 2010.

Likes OmCheeto
Kind of a new spin on the old excuse "The dog ate my homework"... o0)

Hey, I'd log her out too if she dropped a sloppy joe on me !

phinds said:
Hey, I'd log her out too if she dropped a sloppy joe on me !
Hey! Gimme back my homework!

berkeman said:
What not to do in a bear attack ...
Reminds me of the advice a Yellowstone Park ranger gave to some campers who asked about off-trail camping. He told them to go by the ranger station and they would get little bells to attach to their clothes so the bears would avoid them, and some pepper spray for otherwise.

He also told them to be aware of the bear signs so they'd know if they were in bear territory. Brown bear poop, he told them, will likely have some squirrel fir and maybe some berries in it but the grizzly bear stuff may have little bells and smell like pepper spray.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes Astronuc, nsaspook, Tom.G and 5 others
jack action said:
I don't see what the big deal is :confused::wink::
Maybe she has forgotten to borrow the appropriate shoes before stepping on the lane.

Likes jack action

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto, strangerep and DaveE
https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2020/09/17/driver-arrested-after-jumping-over-drawbridge-on-detroits-west-side/ said:
“And I looked, I said, ‘No he ain’t,’” said drawbridge operator Andre Locke.

Locke, who witnessed the incident, said he hit the emergency stop and the bridge jammed.

“Over he went, blew out all four of his tires, and then he crashed into the other gate,” Locke said.
:biggrin:

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes collinsmark, nsaspook, Borg and 1 other person
Bad language warning
Within 20 minutes of them being on display to the public there were reports of the parrots swearing at a customer, and things quickly escalated.

First I thought about linking some vid too, but then I've decided against it.
I will check it in private o0)

• Haha
Likes berkeman
A guy I knew had a 'Severe Macaw', and that bird seemed to know the meanings of some the words that he could say. He could say the word for an object and then pick up the said object ##-## this isn't an image of that bird, but it's an image of a bird of that species:

1601391896112.png

Gang who stole Isaac Newton and Galileo books by abseiling into building to avoid motion sensors jailed
https://news.yahoo.com/gang-stole-isaac-Newton-galileo-174127927.html
First editions of significant works by Sir Isaac Newton, the Italian astronomer Galileo, and Spanish painter Francisco Goya were among some 200 books - with an estimated worth of £2m - stolen from the warehouse during the five-hour operation, which saw thieves cut holes in the warehouse roof and abseil in, landing on ledges to avoid detection by sensors.
I did a double take on the headline. These are not books about Newton and Galileo, but books by them. They should be in a museum library for the public, not some private stash.

• Sad
Likes jack action and OmCheeto
A Swedish company developing autonomous trucks applied for a license to test them on public roads. It was denied for two reasons:
  • The trucks do not have a drivers license
  • The trucks cannot blow into an alcohol test machine

I would expect the second issue to be easy to fix for engineers, but for the drivers license the trucks might need to be 18 years old?

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes Wrichik Basu, phinds, Astronuc and 2 others
mfb said:
I would expect the second issue to be easy to fix for engineers
Would an alcohol test be positive, if the truck is run on bio-diesel?

Likes Wrichik Basu and jack action
Round, roughly skin-colored.

Likes wukunlin
Today's news: Albert Einstein now dead for 65 years 2 months and 23 days.

Clickbait version: You won't believe for how long exactly Albert Einstein has been dead already!

Oops, typo.

Today on the Einstein Newsletter: Someone made a mistake in yesterday's newsletter.

• Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu