What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
1. Cut steak across the grain into thin strips.
Beat eggs in a bowl with the salt and flour, adding a little water if necessary.
Add beef strips to batter and mix well until coated.
2. Heat the oil in a preheated wok until smoking.
Add beef and deep fry for 4-5 minutes, stirring to separate the shreds.
Remove with slotted spoon and drain on absorbent kitchen paper.

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
Beat eggs in a bowl with the salt and flour, adding a little water if necessary.
That sounds good.

And it would go well with shredded or chopped red cabbage and shredded carrot, in a sweet and sour sauce (optional).

Or season it like Mongolian beef.

Evo said:
I meant something without potatoes since I'm making the potato salad. It doesn't have to go well with potato salad either.
Hot dogs or hamburgers would go well with potato salad.

I've been told that I make the world's best, . . .
So when can I put it to the test? :-p :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
Really! This is a pretty hefty claim, and it needs to be tested. My cousin's potato salad is world-class, but my wife's is killer, made with Caine's mayonnaise, Yukon Gold or Katahdin potatoes (which-ever are the crispest and tastiest at the time) and whatever ingredients that she wants to throw in.

wolram said:
Shredded crispy beef?
Now you've got me craving shredded beef in ginger sauce or Mongolian style.

I also like to cook beef in a nice sweet red wine. It forms a really nice gravy.

Astronuc said:
Now you've got me craving shredded beef in ginger sauce or Mongolian style.

I also like to cook beef in a nice sweet red wine. It forms a really nice gravy.

Gravy makes the dish. :smile:

wolram said:
Ooooh, that sounds yummy!. :approve:

Astronuc said:
I need to make a few batches to remember how I made it. I gave out the recipe several times, but never kept a copy for myself and I haven't made it in years. Then you, Wolram and turbo are invited over and we'll have a big cook off. The spawn of evil has been learning to cook and she's quite good, her chicken breasts with pine nuts were heavenly.

I decided not to go to the store and just deal with what I have on hand, so it's cappellini with alfredo sauce and asparagus tips with lemon and garlic.

Make sure I go to the grocery store tomorrow!

Evo said:
I need to make a few batches to remember how I made it. I gave out the recipe several times, but never kept a copy for myself and I haven't made it in years. Then you, Wolram and turbo are invited over and we'll have a big cook off. The spawn of evil has been learning to cook and she's quite good, her chicken breasts with pine nuts were heavenly.
Sounds delic :-p

And after dinner we can watch the "Dark Ages" and "The Barbarians".

I decided not to go to the store and just deal with what I have on hand, so it's cappellini with alfredo sauce and asparagus tips with lemon and garlic.
That sounds like a tasty meal. :-p

We'll remind you. Don't forget a list.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
That sounds good.

And it would go well with shredded or chopped red cabbage and shredded carrot, in a sweet and sour sauce (optional).

Or season it like Mongolian beef.

I do not know if it was a true Mongolian, they cooked on a hot plate, the food
was to die for, the place is gone now :cry:
replaced by a ( no way am i going to say it) burger joint.

Evo said:
Ooooh, that sounds yummy!. :approve:

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

One thing that annoys me is so called eye food, you know artsy plates,
flavour and texture is all that matters, keep the art for the wall.

wolram said:
One thing that annoys me is so called eye food, you know artsy plates,
flavour and texture is all that matters, keep the art for the wall.
:smile: As long as it tastes good - I'm satisfied. :-p

This is just so wrong. Cheese and meat baklava? :bugeye:

Just because it uses phyllo does NOT make it baklava. It's pizza in phyllo dough.

I mean it sounds tasty, but do they not know that baklava is a traditional sweet pastry?

Cheesy Brunch Baklava

INGREDIENTS

1 lb. Italian sausage
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 cups (8 oz.) Sargento® Fancy Mozzarella Shredded Cheese
1 cup Sargento® Part-Skim Ricotta Cheese
1 egg, beaten
16 sheets (about 1/2 pkg.) prepared frozen phyllo pastry, thawed
Non-stick cooking spray

DIRECTIONS

Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 35 minutes
Serves: 8

Cook sausage, onion and red pepper in large skillet over medium heat until meat is brown and crumbly; drain and cool. Combine Mozzarella cheese, Ricotta cheese, egg and sausage mixture; set aside.

Spray 13x9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Trim phyllo sheets to 13x9-inch. Working with one sheet at a time, (keep remaining phyllo covered), spray eight sheets with cooking spray.

Place phyllo pastry into prepared baking dish. Spoon filling over phyllo. Spray remaining 8 sheets with cooking spray and layer over filling. Using a sharp knife, cut into 8 squares. Bake, uncovered, in preheated 400°F oven 35 minutes or until golden brown.

http://www.sargentocheese.com/recipe/recipeDetail.jsp?recipeId=436

Last edited by a moderator:
For Father's Day, I smoked a big locally-raised turkey over charcoal and water-soaked hickory chunks, my wife made a batch of baked beans and biscuits and some raspberry/blackberry cobbler and some blueberry cobbler and potato salad. My sisters brought salads and a blueberry cake and artichoke dip with crackers, and we all had a feast on the back deck. When my father headed home, he was loaded up with leftovers and a lobster one of my sisters had cooked for him. On Thursday, I hopped on the bike and took him up a big dish of turkey soup made from that smoked turkey, and he had just that day gotten through the left-overs and was about to tear apart the lobster to make lobster rolls, when I showed up. He shoved the lobster back into the refrigerator, saying he was going to have the soup for supper. For years, lobster had been his favorite food, but it certainly takes a back seat to my smoked turkey and my wife's cooking baked beans and biscuits.

I'm cooking beef ribs tonight, very meaty, they were on sale. Dang, I wish I had started them earlier. I can smell 'em but I can't eat 'em. :frown:

Evo said:
I'm cooking beef ribs tonight, very meaty, they were on sale. Dang, I wish I had started them earlier. I can smell 'em but I can't eat 'em. :frown:
That's torture! How can you do that to yourself?

turbo-1 said:
That's torture! How can you do that to yourself?
I'm not too bright turbo. I was thinking about a steak, then remembered they were ribs. :cry:

The store advertised corned beef for 99 cents a pound. I went there at all hours for several days and they never had any, the butcher kept saying they were getting more. I should have demanded a raincheck. :mad:

Last edited:
Evo said:
I'm not too bright turbo. I was thinking about a steak, then remembered they were ribs. :cry:

The store advertised corned beef for 99 cents a pound. I went there at all hours for several days and they never had any, the butcher kept saying they were getting more. I should have demanded a raincheck. :mad:
Ok , the ribs vs steaks thin I can accept, but the corned beef?? You are buying meat from sadists!:rolleyes:

turbo-1 said:
Ok , the ribs vs steaks thin I can accept, but the corned beef?? You are buying meat from sadists!:rolleyes:
:rolleyes: They corn the beef "after" it's off the cow.

You don't like corned beef?? Good god man, you'd have never survived back in the olde days.

I'm a large part Irish, it would be unnatural to dislike corned beef.

I always wash the seasonings off if there are any and I don't use the spice packets that come with it, it ruins the beef flavor.

Otherwise, it's just old fashioned salted beef.

Last edited:
Corning is "salting" and we would have to be less than human or at least less than Irish (Google on Orr, my family name) to not want to eat salted meat. Salted beef, fish, pork, etc was critical to the extension of naval/military power a couple of centuries ago, when proteins could not be preserved otherwise. If your ships had to beach and forage to make up that shortfall, that was a weakness that your enemies could exploit.

Edit: The part about "sadists" is because they would torture you with a come-on price for corned beef, then not have it available. I really like corned beef and cabbage with boiled potato.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
I really like corned beef and cabbage with boiled potato.
:!) My kind of man! :!)

The ribs were great. Turned out they were boneless, and so fall apart succulent.

Tonight I made a Sicilian tuna, rice, and mayonaise salad, so good.

Tonight, we had a salmon loaf with steamed Swiss chard, baked potato, and some (too) early corn (probably from Mexico). Everything was pretty nice, except the corn, which was a bit flat.

Unfortunately for me no one in my household knows how to cook to save his life, so my idea of non-microwaved food is a can of tuna for supper.

Turbo, I was given some deer sausage yesterday with cheddar cheese and jalepenos that was to die for. A guy I work with took a deer he shot to a processor that makes these incredible sausages. Unfortunately I can't get deer sausage unless I provide my own deer (that's not going to happen) but he thinks they can make me some with beef.

I found this great chicken stir fry recipe.

Stir-Fried Chicken with Chinese Cabbage

1 1/3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon soy sauce
3 tablespoons dry sherry, divided
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon wine vinegar
1/2 head Chinese cabbage, sliced
3/4 cup drained sliced water chestnuts
4 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1/4 teaspoon dried red-pepper flakes
3 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro or scallion tops
1/8 teaspoon salt

In a medium bowl, combine the chicken with the 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of the sherry, and the cayenne. Let marinate for 10 minutes.
In a wok or large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over moderately high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until almost done, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove.

Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add the onion, garlic, and coriander. Cook, stirring, until the onions are golden, about 4 minutes. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons sherry and the vinegar. Cook, stirring, 1 minute longer.

Add the cabbage, water chestnuts, the remaining 4 teaspoons soy sauce, the tomato paste, red-pepper flakes, and water and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes longer. Add the chicken and any accumulated juices, the cilantro, and the salt and cook, stirring, until the chicken is just done, 1 to 2 minutes longer.

Yield: 4 servings

Question for you experts: Is sauerkraut meant to be eaten hot or cold? I've had it both ways.

Math Is Hard said:
Question for you experts: Is sauerkraut meant to be eaten hot or cold? I've had it both ways.
Growing up, my mother always made it the German way with ribs, hot.

I like it cold sometimes.

Evo said:
Growing up, my mother always made it the German way with ribs, hot.

I like it cold sometimes.

I didn't know about serving it with ribs. Sounds good! We had it the other night with some bratwurst and german potato salad (my favorite).

I've always had sauerkraut hot. Never even considered eating it cold. :rolleyes:

I wonder if we can persuade Zz to post the recipes here for the rice dish and the meat stew-type dish he prepared for the PF gathering? Both were extremely tasty, and I'd like to learn to make both for myself. I know the rice had cardamom in it (we were warned not to eat the pods if he missed any), which was really a nice flavor, but don't remember what else he said was in there. The beef dish was very flavorful and tender...slow cooked, Philippine cuisine.

I also need to compile a list of quick to prepare, done in 15 min, healthy meals for Zenmaster. He has a habit of eating out a lot when he's tired at the end of the day because he doesn't feel like spending the time cooking. He can find his way around a kitchen well enough, just is tired and doesn't feel like it. I think if the meals could be ready faster than he could get served in a restaurant, we might persuade him to eat more healthy food at home. :wink:

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
I didn't know about serving it with ribs. Sounds good! We had it the other night with some bratwurst and german potato salad (my favorite).
There are a lot of bizarre recipes on the internet, but just throw some spareribs into a skillet with sauerkraut, cover and simmer until the meat is falling off the bone. I'd have to ask my mom is she added any beef boullion, probably couldn't hurt, I don't remember her adding anything.

Evo said:
There are a lot of bizarre recipes on the internet, but just throw some spareribs into a skillet with sauerkraut, cover and simmer until the meat is falling off the bone. I'd have to ask my mom is she added any beef boullion, probably couldn't hurt, I don't remember her adding anything.

Ooh, yum. That's nice and easy. Sounds like a good slow-cooker recipe too. Do you brown the spare ribs first or anything? Do you add any onion to your sauerkraut? Some people like onion in it, and others don't, and I'm trying to decide which way might be better with spare ribs.

One of my favorite pizza topping combinations is sauerkraut and hot sausage. Yummm!:-p

Moonbear said:
Ooh, yum. That's nice and easy. Sounds like a good slow-cooker recipe too. Do you brown the spare ribs first or anything? Do you add any onion to your sauerkraut? Some people like onion in it, and others don't, and I'm trying to decide which way might be better with spare ribs.
This recipe looks just like my mom's. But since she was cooking for my finicky brother, no wine, no caraway seed or juniper berries,

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/000254spareribs_and_sauerkraut.php

I *love* Reuben sandwiches. Rye bread, corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss cheese and Thousand Island dressing.

Evo said:
This recipe looks just like my mom's. But since she was cooking for my finicky brother, no wine, no caraway seed or juniper berries,

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/000254spareribs_and_sauerkraut.php

Ooh, yum. I'm also reading all the variations listed under it. I particularly like the sound of the one that's oven-baked. I think I'd try it with caraway seeds, but probably not juniper berries (mainly because I've never had juniper berries, and don't even know where to find them, but it sounds like something caraway would go well with). Hmm...guess it's time to head out to the grocery store and get myself some ribs! :biggrin:

Evo said:
I *love* Reuben sandwiches. Rye bread, corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss cheese and Thousand Island dressing.
Mmmm! There was a tavern about 20 miles from here that had the best Reubens. I used to order mine to be made on pumpernickel and grilled in butter with a side order of French fries and a cold bottle of Beck's. Heaven!