What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
Okay, I made the sauerkraut and ribs tonight. Yummy! Though, I think I'll add a bit more seasoning next time. I didn't want to overdo the caraway seeds, but didn't put nearly enough in. It was a tad bit blander than I was expecting. I think I'll add a little pepper as well next time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
Okay, I made the sauerkraut and ribs tonight. Yummy! Though, I think I'll add a bit more seasoning next time. I didn't want to overdo the caraway seeds, but didn't put nearly enough in. It was a tad bit blander than I was expecting. I think I'll add a little pepper as well next time.
Tasty! I'll be over as soon as I gas up the SS RV. I'll pick up Evo if she can stick that tree growing out of her eyeball out the passenger side window.

turbo-1 said:
Mmmm! There was a tavern about 20 miles from here that had the best Reubens. I used to order mine to be made on pumpernickel and grilled in butter with a side order of French fries and a cold bottle of Beck's. Heaven!

Sometimes I just CRAVE a good reuben sandwich. Gotta have a crisp, cold kosher dill alongside. :!)

Moonbear said:
Yeah, German food isn't the spiciest. You need to play with it if you want something a bit stronger flavored. I guess once you drink enough beer, the food doesn't matter so much. :biggrin:

I'm boiling a smoked pork shoulder tonight. It gets a lot of the salt out and leaves a really moist, tasty meat.

Evo said:
I'm boiling a smoked pork shoulder tonight. It gets a lot of the salt out and leaves a really moist, tasty meat.
That works well. If you dump out that salty juice and load that shoulder into a crock-pot with cabbage, potatoes, carrots, turnips, and onions (with black pepper for a little snap) deliciousness will ensue. Split up the meat and vegetables in meal-sized Tupperware dishes, and you'll have lots of very fast, easy meals for times when you don't have the time or energy to cook, and you can have hot lunches at work (if the microwave at your job is not a biohazard).

turbo-1 said:
If you dump out that salty juice and load that shoulder into a crock-pot with cabbage, potatoes, carrots, turnips, and onions (with black pepper for a little snap) deliciousness will ensue.
:!) :!) :!)

Split up the meat and vegetables in meal-sized Tupperware dishes, and you'll have lots of very fast, easy meals for times when you don't have the time or energy to cook, and you can have hot lunches at work (if the microwave at your job is not a biohazard).
Yep, I bought some rubbermaid bowls just for the project.

Evo said:
Yeah, German food isn't the spiciest. You need to play with it if you want something a bit stronger flavored. I guess once you drink enough beer, the food doesn't matter so much. :biggrin:

I think it's definitely something that can easily be "brightened" up in flavor. It doesn't need to be spicy, just a little extra something to bring out the flavor it has. I'm wondering if it would be better cooked with beer instead of wine? But, sometimes really simple things like black pepper can work wonders on a basic dish.

Moonbear said:
I'm wondering if it would be better cooked with beer instead of wine? But, sometimes really simple things like black pepper can work wonders on a basic dish.
Both of those sound good, Moonie! I can't seem to cook any meat or vegetables without black pepper. I love the flavor, especially if I rub the meat with black pepper and brown it in peanut oil prior to simmering to get some carmelized juices into the mix of flavors.

turbo-1 said:
Both of those sound good, Moonie! I can't seem to cook any meat or vegetables without black pepper. I love the flavor, especially if I rub the meat with black pepper and brown it in peanut oil prior to simmering to get some carmelized juices into the mix of flavors.
Damn, turbo, Moonbear and I need to get together and cook. We'd be freaking awesome!

When I cooked for work get togethers, I was told my food was "orgasmic". I have a feeling I've met my match in you two.

Hey we should start a food business "Orgasmic foods". :biggrin:

Last edited:
Evo said:
Hey we should start a food business "Orgasmic foods". :biggrin:
OK, but you've got to let me bring canned habanero/jalapeno peppers and use them liberally. MIH would probably volunteer to be the (unpaid) head of quality control and taste-tester.

"Orgasmic Foods" ...I can't wait to see the advertising campaign. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
"I'll have what she's having" comes to mind. :biggrin: (When Harry met Sally)

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
I think we can get the "organic foods" mispellers right off the bat. :-p

Evo said:
I think we can get the "organic foods" mispellers right off the bat. :-p

:smile: The same thought occurred to me. :biggrin:

turbo-1 said:
"I'll have what she's having" comes to mind. :biggrin:
:smile: :smile:

You know, this is doable. :smile:

turbo-1 said:
"I'll have what she's having" comes to mind. :biggrin:

would be great if you could get the same lady from "When Harry Met Sally" for the commercials! :smile:

I'm not sure, but I think it was Rob Reiner's mother in that cameo. Best line in the movie!

turbo-1 said:
I'm not sure, but I think it was Rob Reiner's mother in that cameo. Best line in the movie!

Ohmigosh, you're right! I just googled it!

:smile:

Does anybody have experience making Indian dishes? I would like to learn to make Saag Paneer and Makhani chicken. However, when I read a recipe and see all the steps that go into it I wonder if it would be beyond my culinary skills.

Math Is Hard said:
Question for you experts: Is sauerkraut meant to be eaten hot or cold? I've had it both ways.

I'll eat it both ways but I think I probably prefer hot.

The best thing to do with sauerkraut is to make homemade bread dough and stuff it with a mixture of precooked hamburger, bacon, onions, and sauerkraut and then bake it. That makes a great lunch for school or work if you have access to a microwave, or even a quick meal at home if you keep a supply of them in the freezer.

scorpa said:

The best thing to do with sauerkraut is to make homemade bread dough and stuff it with a mixture of precooked hamburger, bacon, onions, and sauerkraut and then bake it. That makes a great lunch for school or work if you have access to a microwave, or even a quick meal at home if you keep a supply of them in the freezer.
That sounds really good, Scorpa! Are you angling for a spot in the "orgasmic foods" project?

BTW, we really need a venture capitalist (hopefully a gluttonous, easy-to-please one) to make this go. :biggrin:

turbo-1 said:
. . . load that [pork] shoulder into a crock-pot with cabbage, potatoes, carrots, turnips, and onions (with black pepper for a little snap) deliciousness will ensue.
That does sound good.

My mom made a recipe with sliced beef and shredded red cabbage. I wish I could remember the recipe.

With respect to Reuben sandwiches - I bought one today at a nearby deli, but I got pastrami rather than corned beef, and they used Russian Dressing rather than Thousand Island. I think I'll try some permutations on that. The sauerkraut was hot.

I also like Paninis.

Last edited:
scorpa said:

That does sound really freakin' yummy. :smile:

And you can cheat a little by buying frozen bread dough. I stuff dough with all kinds of things. My favorit is chicken cubes, bacon and blue cheese.

hypatia said:
And you can cheat a little by buying frozen bread dough. I stuff dough with all kinds of things. My favorit is chicken cubes, bacon and blue cheese.

You know I was wondering if I could use biscuit dough or that croissant dough stuff. That might be really good.

This bread/meat combo stuff reminds me of a dish that my friend's mother used to make. She would brown some hamburg, onion, peppers, and garlic in a skillet with salt and pepper, then transfer that to cake pan, pour a can of tomato soup or mushroom soup over that, and top it with a layer of uncooked homemade biscuits and pop it into a hot oven. When the biscuits were tall and brown, it was suppertime. I cannot eat canned soups any more because they all contain MSG (under at least one or two aliases) but I remember those meals fondly. She had a family of hearty eaters, and that was a relatively inexpensive meal that everybody liked.

arunbg said:
Chocolate lentil cake ! That's my favourite ( drools over keyboard ) !

wow creative :) i never would have thought to put chocolate and lentils together.

I have fallen in love with chocolate croissants. So one day i decided to make something like a chocolate croissant, except in a wrap. The recipe:

-Chocolate chips (Not quite sure how many, maybe 10?)
-wrap

Instructions: Put wrap (flat) on a paper towel, and place in microwave. Put chocolate chips in wrap and wrap it up, covering with the other half of the paper towel and a small plate to hold it down. Microwave for 30 seconds. Caution: chocolate will be hot. Excessive eating may occur.

(Sorry for double posting)

I used to eat müsli <--(kant spel) from the store, but now i realize all you have to do is put half rolled oats, half dried fruit (apricots, raisins, cranberries, whatever, chopped up into small bits) then put milk and let it sit for a little while.

Strawberries on top make it that much better:!)

There's a store in the next town that has regular specials on canned crabmeat from Vietnam - usually at $1.29/can, which is 50 cents less per can than the dolphin-safe yellowfin tuna from the health food store. We had crab cakes for supper last night, made with fresh chives and herbs from our garden, and I mixed up a sauce from mayo and our homemade jalapeno/habanero salsa. Mmmmm! With some fresh garden salad on the side, that is one great meal (we had to use store-bought cherry tomatoes because ours are still not ripe yet). For anybody who's looking for an excellent bottled salad dressing (no time or motivation to make your own), I highly recommend the roasted red pepper vinaigrette dressing from Annie's Naturals.

Okay, I tried a new variant on the pork with sauerkraut dish tonight. MUCH better...at least to my taste (no idea if it tastes anything close to the authentic dish anymore since I've been playing). For starters, I didn't use pork, I used beef. The pork just seemed too bland, and I didn't like the way it tasted as leftovers (and you wind up with a lot of leftovers with the dish). I'm not as big of a fan of pork as I am beef anyway.

So, Beef with Sauerkraut a la Moonbear :biggrin:

Took about 2 lbs of stew meat (chuck), and cut it into bite-sized pieces (smaller than cubes usually put in stew). Seasoned it with lots of salt and pepper, then browned it in a little olive oil, and kept draining off the excess juices (part of this was that it was still a little frozen when I started, so was producing more water than usual). As it started to really brown, I added about half of a medium onion, chopped, about a half tablespoon of cumin seeds, and about a half teaspoon of mustard seed.

Meanwhile, I got the sauerkraut ready. Melted about half of a stick of butter, and briefly sauteed one and a half medium onions, chopped in it, then added a large can of drained sauerkraut, and sauteed in butter a bit longer. This seemed to help a bit more with developing the sauerkraut flavor compared with just dumping it in and boiling.

When the beef was fully browned, I deglazed the pan with a bit of white wine, and let the beef absorb all of the liquid before adding the onion and sauerkraut. I then added enough water to get the whole mixture boiling, but not drowned (you want to have a sauce out of this, but not runny). Once it was boiling, I added more cumin seed (total about a tablespoon), more black pepper, and a sprinkle of onion powder. Then, just let it simmer on low heat for a while until the meat finished getting tender.

And, I'm eating it now with a slice of bread and a bottle of beer. Excellent! The cumin is the most important spice, and I was too cautious last time. Now I see that it's hard to go overboard, and better to add more cumin than you think it'll need than to underdo it. I was also afraid to add more salt to the sauerkraut last time, thinking it would be salty enough on its own, but the added salt was definitely required.

Moonbear said:
Okay, I tried a new variant on the pork with sauerkraut dish tonight. MUCH better...at least to my taste (no idea if it tastes anything close to the authentic dish anymore since I've been playing). For starters, I didn't use pork, I used beef. The pork just seemed too bland, and I didn't like the way it tasted as leftovers (and you wind up with a lot of leftovers with the dish). I'm not as big of a fan of pork as I am beef anyway.

So, Beef with Sauerkraut a la Moonbear :biggrin:

Took about 2 lbs of stew meat (chuck), and cut it into bite-sized pieces (smaller than cubes usually put in stew). Seasoned it with lots of salt and pepper, then browned it in a little olive oil, and kept draining off the excess juices (part of this was that it was still a little frozen when I started, so was producing more water than usual). As it started to really brown, I added about half of a medium onion, chopped, about a half tablespoon of cumin seeds, and about a half teaspoon of mustard seed.

Meanwhile, I got the sauerkraut ready. Melted about half of a stick of butter, and briefly sauteed one and a half medium onions, chopped in it, then added a large can of drained sauerkraut, and sauteed in butter a bit longer. This seemed to help a bit more with developing the sauerkraut flavor compared with just dumping it in and boiling.

When the beef was fully browned, I deglazed the pan with a bit of white wine, and let the beef absorb all of the liquid before adding the onion and sauerkraut. I then added enough water to get the whole mixture boiling, but not drowned (you want to have a sauce out of this, but not runny). Once it was boiling, I added more cumin seed (total about a tablespoon), more black pepper, and a sprinkle of onion powder. Then, just let it simmer on low heat for a while until the meat finished getting tender.

And, I'm eating it now with a slice of bread and a bottle of beer. Excellent! The cumin is the most important spice, and I was too cautious last time. Now I see that it's hard to go overboard, and better to add more cumin than you think it'll need than to underdo it. I was also afraid to add more salt to the sauerkraut last time, thinking it would be salty enough on its own, but the added salt was definitely required.
OOOOOHH!

I'll bet this goes well with beef short ribs also! (I learned to exchange pork for beef ribs from my late Jewish step mother-in-law by my first husband).

For a minute there MB, I was afraid you were going to exchange the sauerkraut for pasta and I'd have to fish slap you into the food blashpemy thread. :rolleyes: I also notice you had the class to rename the dish, as should be done. Gold star for you.

I think I'll make this tomorrow! Did you leave the cumin seeds whole or crack them with a mortar and pestle? (Evo doesn't get to use her mortar and pestle very often).

Evo said:
OOOOOHH!

I'll bet this goes well with beef short ribs also! (I learned to exchange pork for beef ribs from my late Jewish step mother-in-law by my first husband).

For a minute there MB, I was afraid you were going to exchange the sauerkraut for pasta and I'd have to fish slap you into the food blashpemy thread. :rolleyes: I also notice you had the class to rename the dish, as should be done. Gold star for you.
:smile: I actually contemplated doing that just to see your reaction. :biggrin:

I think I'll make this tomorrow! Did you leave the cumin seeds whole or crack them with a mortar and pestle? (Evo doesn't get to use her mortar and pestle very often).
I didn't crack the cumin, but I'm sure it could only help (I tend to forget I own a mortar and pestle when I get opportunities to use it).

Wow, that does sound good. Think I'll try it tomorrow night for dinner. About how long from prep till dinner is ready?

Oh my, I just found another sauerkraut recipe. I'm not so sure about this one.

Roadkill Stew
Servings: 17
Submitted by Gertrude Bartle, Kerhonkson New York

2 lbs sauerkraut
4 cups beef broth
sh!tload of beans if you got em
3 big-@ss onions
1 head garlic
6 pack of gud beer [schlitz,meisterbrau etc.]
bunch of dead critters [squirrel,possum,skunk,deer,cat,muskrat,dog]

debone the dead muther-humpers and boil in a big kettle

chug 2 of the beers