What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #2,451
Ivan Seeking said:
Cool, I hope you like them.

Btw, I checked and the enchilada sauce comes in ten-ounce cans, not eight ounce cans as I had thought. So the quantity should be fifteen ounces of enchilada sauce, not twelve. The original post has been edited. The original recipe called for ten, but we found that another 50% works well. Ten ounces just isn't quite enough.

While I was growing up, my best friend was Mexican, so I frequently ate authentic, home-cooked, mexican food. I was eating menudo for years before they would tell me what's in it!

Something else, if you like Mexican food, you must try tripe tacos. I used to brave one of the most dangerous areas of Los Angeles just to get tripe tacos from this wonderful little hole-in-the-wall Mexican taco stand.

They were a hit! Well, one friend who is a spice-wimp cried a bit, otherwise, demolished in minutes. I called them, Taco a la Ivan, and everyone agreed the shells and salted lettuce are acts of genius. I did not get the perfect texture of the meat, but with practice I will. Thank you Ivan.

For tripe, I am a great fan, in Pho, in Menudo (good they did not tell you early what was in it: everything lol), so I will try it in a taco. I was in mexico for a few months about 15 years ago, and had carnitas made by a lady who took fresh masa, made tortilla, and had whole roasted pig. Mexican food was a revelation to me, it, you are lucky to have that friend.

Borek: Oh my god, he hired homeless to murder! Stupid as well as soulless.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,452
A few other favorites that we've discovered.

http://www.benjerry.com/flavors/our-flavors/# are a few of our favorite dessert recipes.

Also, we looooooove using Oroweat Oatnut bread for making French Toast. Mmmmmmm. We don't eat French Toast too often, but if we don't have any Oatnut bread, French Toast is now considered to be a huge waste of time.

[PLAIN]http://www.oroweat.com/Images/Products/Sliced_Variety_Oatnut.png

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,453
Ivan Seeking said:
A few other favorites that we've discovered.

http://www.benjerry.com/flavors/our-flavors/# are a few of our favorite dessert recipes.

Also, we looooooove using Oroweat Oatnut bread for making French Toast. Mmmmmmm. We don't eat French Toast too often, but if we don't have any Oatnut bread, French Toast is now considered to be a huge waste of time.

[PLAIN]http://www.oroweat.com/Images/Products/Sliced_Variety_Oatnut.png[/QUOTE]

That looks like Arnold's Oat bread!

0007341001354_215X215.jpg

I love that bread, for peanut butter, banana and honey (tupelo is best) sandwiches, and everything else.

It IS the same!

http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=76611

• #2,454
  • #2,455
foamlover said:
I whip three raw eggs and drink them mixed with water in a cup. I been doing this for most of this year. I eat about 9 whole eggs a day.

I also like to eat tuna and egg omelette every breakfast.

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/8594/eggtuna.jpg

Hmmm, not my cup of tea, but you made me think of something:

Take the oat bread of the previous threads, cute a hole in the center. Brown some butter in a pan, and place the bread in the pan. Add one egg into the hole you made. Over easy, and serve! A fun breakfast for kids, or those of us who still feel like them. :smile:

• #2,456
I'm baking Beer Barrel Rye bread this morning. Should have done it yesterday, but time might have been an issue, since the baked beans and ham required lower oven temps than the bread. It sure would be nice to have a second oven... No room in this little place, though.

• #2,457
turbo-1 said:
I'm baking Beer Barrel Rye bread this morning. Should have done it yesterday, but time might have been an issue, since the baked beans and ham required lower oven temps than the bread. It sure would be nice to have a second oven... No room in this little place, though.

If you have a fireplace or wood-stove or stove-top you could use a cast iron dutch oven.

• #2,458
Back to cooking tools. Our old Osterizer blender still works, but it is tired. My wife makes smoothies/shakes every day, so I started looking for a replacement. I found a professional-grade Oster on Amazon sold through JR Music World. Retail of $170, sold for $55. It has a 1/2 hp motor, and my wife loves it. Very solid and heavy. I can't vouch for long-term longevity of course, but it is a powerhouse. Unlike the old blender, this does not have lots of push-buttons, just a toggle switch to choose between a pulse, and a high-speed constant "liquify". I don't know why the huge price reduction - perhaps the introduction of a "new and improved" model, but I have not found anything negative about this model.

The old blender (pushing 10-15 years now) will be relegated to the summer camp or to my mother-in-law's house so my wife can make fruit drinks while caring for her mother on weekends. The new blender will take on the 5-6 day/week task of making fruit smoothies, ice and all.

Last edited:
  • #2,459
turbo-1 said:
Back to cooking tools. Our old Osterizer blender still works, but it is tired. My wife makes smoothies/shakes every day, so I started looking for a replacement. I found a professional-grade Oster on Amazon sold through JR Music world. Retail of $170, sold for $55. It has a 1/2 hp motor, and my wife loves it. Very solid and heavy. I can't vouch for long-term longevity of course, but it is a powerhouse. Unlike the old blender, this does not have lots of push-buttons, just a toggle switch to choose between a pulse, and a high-speed constant "liquify".

The old blender (pushing 10-15 years now) will be relegated to the summer camp or to my mother-in-law's house so she can make fruit drinks while caring for her mother on weekends. The new blender will take on the 5-6 day/week task of making fruit smoothies, ice and all.

J&R through Amazon has terrific deals; I snagged a stick blender from them years ago, and an ergonomic keyboard. A good blender needs just what you say, power and simplicity. I just bought some fresh blackberries, strawberries, and bananas. Add some strained yogurt and bam, perfect smoothie or parfait.

On an unrelated note, I really love Gruyere cheese wrapped in smoked chicken, with some horseradish mustard. YUM>

• #2,460
Here's something I just improvised this afternoon that turned out pretty delicious. There is nothing remotely German about this...it just uses bratwursts as an ingredient. We try to keep sausages on hand in our freezer precisely because it's easy to throw together something good without much of a plan. Some of these ingredients I decided to add halfway through, so it may be slightly haphazard:

1 package white bratwurst or similar
1 large onion
2 large carrots
3 celery stalks
3 tomatoes
1 large potato
1 bottle of beer (a sweeter variety, with strong flavor)
1/2 c dry vermouth
butter (I use clarified...it's easier)
salt to taste
black pepper
thyme
marjoram
dry mustard
dill seed (or caraway would work)

Chop vegetables into rough 1-inch chunks (or however you like...I was in a hurry). If you're feeling adventurous, peel and seed the tomatoes...I didn't bother, but it improves the texture if you do.

In a pot or dutch oven, pour in the beer, add the herbs, salt, tomatoes and celery, and start them simmering...you want it to bubble a bit, but you don't want to boil the thin layer of liquid away. You're on your own as to the proportions of herbs...I always guess these things. If it tastes just a little bit too salty, that's good, as the potatoes will absorb it.

In a separate pan/skillet, saute the onions in butter on medium heat to get some browning on them; then remove with slotted spoon and add to simmering pot. Repeat with carrots.

Now brown the sausages in butter...don't touch them for about 3 minutes, then flip over and don't touch again for about 3 minutes...should get some deep browning that way. Then add the sausages to the pot.

The idea is to brown everything in butter and then simmer it for about an hour in the liquid. The catch is that if you do the potatoes too early, they'll turn to mush...they should only spend about 20 minutes in the liquid. So, wait until the appropriate time and then do the same with the potatoes (brown in butter, then add to liquid).

After that, deglaze the pan with vermouth (i.e. add vermouth, bring to boil and scrape up whatever is stuck to the pan), and add that to the simmering pot as well.

When simmering is done, remove sausages and vegetables with a slotted spoon and place them into serving dish, container, whatever. Try to leave the liquid in the pot. Finally, bring the liquid to a boil and reduce until a spoon leaves a trail when dragged across the bottom. Pour reduced sauce over waiting ingredients.

Enjoy.

• #2,461
Sounds good, Ben! Good advice with cooking times/mush.

• #2,462
Sounds really good Ben. I also agree on the potatoes, I like a little toothiness to the potatoes, or "owl Don tay" as a cooking judge on tv said the other night.

• #2,463
Last night I lightly cooked 3 pounds of hamburger meat and used about 1/2 pound in a makeshift "stir fry". Turned out very yummy.

But now I need to think of something fabulous to make with the rest of it. I'm going to use 1 pound for shepherd's pie, but I need something new to do with the rest.

Any suggestions?

• #2,464
Evo said:
Last night I lightly cooked 3 pounds of hamburger meat and used about 1/2 pound in a makeshift "stir fry". Turned out very yummy.

But now I need to think of something fabulous to make with the rest of it. I'm going to use 1 pound for shepherd's pie, but I need something new to do with the rest.

Any suggestions?

May I suggest...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/swedish-meatballs-recipe/index.html

• #2,466
When we cook a bunch of loose hamburg (nearing expiration, perhaps), we often throw together quick and dirty meals using soft tortillas. Sautee onions, mushrooms, peppers (including chilies of course) and other vegetables to taste, put cooked hamburg on a soft tortilla, and top with the vegetables. Top all that with some home-made salsa (my green tomato-jalapeno is my favorite) fresh chopped tomatoes and shredded cheese, roll them up and 'nuke 'em in the microwave. Very tasty, and easy to make.

Last edited:
  • #2,467
Evo said:

Any suggestions?

burritos or tacos

• #2,468
rewebster said:
burritos or tacos

If it is cooked, then that would not absorb enough...

Now a bolognese, would work...

• #2,469
Hamburger soup:

• Lightly saute some carrots, onion, celery, garlic and green beans (oh the green beans are so great in this dish!)
  • Add some of your already cooked beef
  • Add a can of diced tomatoes (undrained) and beef broth (canned is OK) and a bay leaf
  • Bring to a low boil
  • Add some elbow macaroni and return to a boil. Monitor the liquid level, adding water as needed.
And it's done when the macaroni is soft. I left all the proportions out because everyone does it differently, plus I know you're an experienced cook and can figure it out.

Great, fast soup for a cold day.

• #2,470
Thanks guys!

• #2,471
BTW, you may be tempted to hold out the chopped fresh tomatoes until you have microwaved the roll-ups. Don't do it. Tomatoes have a nice character when lightly cooked this way, and that works well with the melted cheese.

• #2,472
Evo said:
or "owl Don tay" as a cooking judge on tv said the other night.
:smile: why do you torture yourself by watching these shows!

• #2,473
Monique said:
:smile: why do you torture yourself by watching these shows!
It's a sickness. My wife watches some Food Network shows "for ideas", though we are probably better cooks than 90+% of the "chefs" on that network. I finally got her to stop watching the Neelys. I just can't stand the over-the-top saccharine fawning and honey-dear talk, with the obligatory "y'all" every 10 seconds or so.

• #2,474
Evo said:
Sounds really good Ben. I also agree on the potatoes, I like a little toothiness to the potatoes, or "owl Don tay" as a cooking judge on tv said the other night.

I wonder how much owl you're supposed to put in there :confused:

• #2,476
So Evo, what did you end up making?

My dinner:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/grilled-romaine-recipe/index.html

and a lovely chicken slow cooked in a crock-pot with basic mirepoix, subbing some of the onion for Chipotles, added cilantro, salt, pepper, a little chicken stock, some rutabaga, parsnip. My wife does the dishes and hates to cook, I love to cook and hate dishes. Life is good :)

• #2,477
lisab said:
I wonder how much owl you're supposed to put in there :confused:

I don't want to hear about your interpretation of spotted dick. Now to be honest, when I was 9 years of age, I was taken to a nice restaurant, and ordered the Sweetbreads. I believed that it was SWEET BREAD, and I was not happily surprised. 2 years later I experienced catharsis by tricking a cousin in the same way. :biggrin:

• #2,478
IcedEcliptic said:
So Evo, what did you end up making?

My dinner:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/grilled-romaine-recipe/index.html

and a lovely chicken slow cooked in a crock-pot with basic mirepoix, subbing some of the onion for Chipotles, added cilantro, salt, pepper, a little chicken stock, some rutabaga, parsnip. My wife does the dishes and hates to cook, I love to cook and hate dishes. Life is good :)
Nothing yet. I ate more of the stir fry and I'm not hungry, so perhaps tomorrow.

• #2,479
Evo said:
Nothing yet. I ate more of the stir fry and I'm not hungry, so perhaps tomorrow.

Mmmm, stir fry is a no-lose proposition. You could use it to make Chili, or a "do it yourself without the crap" hamburger helper! Spices, cheese, some Italian breadcrumbs, a little beef stock or water, a dash of salt, sugar, and pepper...

• #2,480
Hyped said:
Lebanese food is one of the best in the world.

True.

• #2,481
IcedEcliptic said:
They were a hit!

You and I posted at about the same time, so I never saw this. Glad you liked them.

I'm guessing that you cooked the meat until it was too dry? I like them best when just a little liquid burns my fingers with each bite. :biggrin:

Yes, I love all Mexican food with a passion. Over the years it became clear that in particular, I love the flavor of serrano peppers. And you can't put too much cilantro in salsa, afaic. Chorizo and eggs on a flour tortilla, for breakfast? Mmmmmmmm! And I'll make a taco out of just about anything, Try a ham, cheese, and egg [omlette] taco with Pico Pica hot sauce - wonderful.

Fried ice cream is another favorite of ours.

• #2,482
This is what I'm having right now:

http://lahary.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/lasagne.jpg"

• #2,483
Just fried up some bacon, threw in some finely chopped green vidalias and garlic, let them sweat, threw in a pound of black beans, water to cover, salt. When they get tender, I'll add some lime juice, cumin and cilantro.

I am so glad that cooking with bacon and bacon grease is back in fashion.

• #2,484
Evo said:
I am so glad that cooking with bacon and bacon grease is back in fashion.
It went out of fashion? That's what I get for living in a backwater.

• #2,485
turbo-1 said:
It went out of fashion? That's what I get for living in a backwater.
All of these health food nuts that would have the rest of us eating like anorexic rabbits. And they're the ones dying off.

Unless you have serious medical conditions that require restricted diets, eat! Eat good food, just eat in moderation. I'd rather eat a small amount of orgasmic food than a bucket of crap. You only live once. Don't deprive yourself.