What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #2,486
Life without some modicum of pork fat is probably not worth living. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,487
Evo said:
All of these health food nuts that would have the rest of us eating like anorexic rabbits. And they're the ones dying off.

Unless you have serious medical conditions that require restricted diets, eat! Eat good food, just eat in moderation. I'd rather eat a small amount of orgasmic food than a bucket of crap. You only live once. Don't deprive yourself.
My mother and my grandmother always cooked with bacon, salt pork, and the saved greases, as well as butter. I never managed to crack 120# until I entered engineering school, stopped competitive long-distance running and Nordic skiing, and started planting my butt in a desk-chair for 3-4 hrs a night studying. Really lean! Every summer, my parents would let me spend a week or two with my grandparents, and my grandmother would load me with cream and berries in the morning, with bacon, eggs, and fried potatoes, etc for breakfast. Every meal went the same. She tried to put 5# on me every week because I was "too skinny". She was brought up on a farm, and fed river-drivers as a cook, so she knew how to fuel calorie-burners.

• #2,488
turbo-1 said:
My mother and my grandmother always cooked with bacon, salt pork, and the saved greases, as well as butter. I never managed to crack 120# until I entered engineering school, stopped competitive long-distance running and Nordic skiing, and started planting my butt in a desk-chair for 3-4 hrs a night studying. Really lean! Every summer, my parents would let me spend a week or two with my grandparents, and my grandmother would load me with cream and berries in the morning, with bacon, eggs, and fried potatoes, etc for breakfast. Every meal went the same. She tried to put 5# on me every week because I was "too skinny". She was brought up on a farm, and fed river-drivers as a cook, so she knew how to fuel calorie-burners.
Even if you don't need to put on pounds, satisfying food keeps you full longer, so you eat less.

The Evo Child and I were discussing this. If we eat "light" food, we're hungry and eat all day. One salad can have 1,200 or more calories, but you feel hungry again in a few hours. But one Hardees burger will keep us fed and satisfied for two days.

• #2,489
Did you know that if you cook ultra expensive sashimi grade ahi tuna well done that you can't tell it apart from 50 cent canned tuna?

Yep, it's true. :devil: Now I know.

No wonder they never cook it, but only sear the outside, or serve it raw.

I will never pay for that stuff again. Especially after watching the parasite marathon on DHC yesterday.

• #2,490
Evo said:
Did you know that if you cook ultra expensive sashimi grade ahi tuna well done that you can't tell it apart from 50 cent canned tuna?

Yep, it's true. :devil: Now I know.

No wonder they never cook it, but only sear the outside, or serve it raw.

I will never pay for that stuff again. Especially after watching the parasite marathon on DHC yesterday.

WHY would you cook it well done? The point of getting sashimi grade is so you can eat it raw as sashimi! :bugeye:

• #2,491
Moonbear said:
WHY would you cook it well done? The point of getting sashimi grade is so you can eat it raw as sashimi! :bugeye:
Because I had a large chunk of it left after making sushi, and wondered what would happen if I thoroughly cooked it. Now I know, it turns into canned tuna. :frown:

Here's the sushi I made with the raw tuna.

006tm.jpg

• #2,492
Evo said:
Because I had a large chunk of it left after making sushi, and wondered what would happen if I thoroughly cooked it. Now I know, it turns into canned tuna. :frown:
Oh, okay. The "it was going to spoil anyway" view. Though, I've never had leftover sashimi. :biggrin:

Here's the sushi I made with the raw tuna.

006tm.jpg

Nice. Though, way too much rice there for my taste. But that's mostly because I prefer sashimi to sushi. :smile:

• #2,493
That was my first attempt at sushi, I'm getting better. It's really fun to make. The most work is the rice.

Evo Child has suggested a smoked salmon sushi she had with cream cheese. Jewish sushi. :biggrin:

• #2,494
Evo said:
That was my first attempt at sushi, I'm getting better. It's really fun to make. The most work is the rice.

Evo Child has suggested a smoked salmon sushi she had with cream cheese. Jewish sushi. :biggrin:

Jewshi.

• #2,495
lisab said:
Jewshi.
:smile:

• #2,496
So a crab-roll would be anti-Jewshi? Would it release riceons and norions when it annihilates with jewshi? :)

• #2,497
Evo said:

These are often a hit at parties. But the way I've seen them is not with rice, it's with a flatbread:
smoked-salmon-and-cream-cheese-bites.jpg

• #2,498
I'm going to buy a new cooking tool tomorrow. Tractor Supply's Memorial Day sale starts tomorrow, and they have the Chargriller Trio on sale for $300. It's a dual-fuel grill (propane and charcoal) with a side fire-box for low-heat smoking. I was thinking of taking down the Forester because it has AC, but I'm going to have to take my truck instead. That monster is 200# and probably too big to fit comfortably into an SUV. I'll have to break down the carton in the bed of the truck and lug the components out to the back deck for assembly. I hope to get my mitts on some more culled brooder-salmon from the hatchery this summer, fillet them and smoke them in my peppery maple-syrup glaze.

http://www.chargriller.com/testimonies.php

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,499
DaveC426913 said:
These are often a hit at parties. But the way I've seen them is not with rice, it's with a flatbread:
smoked-salmon-and-cream-cheese-bites.jpg
She had them in a restaurant. They were sushi, but the filling was slices of smoked salmon and cream cheese. I've got to make some, she said it was the best sushi she'd had.

• #2,500
Not that different from lox and bagels. There was a trendy restaurant about 50 miles from here that did a good job with that. Toasted bagels spread with cream cheese and topped with smoked Atlantic salmon bellies. I'd start with that "appetizer", follow with their spinach salad topped with walnuts and mustard vinaigrette dressing, and finish off with one of their sinfully delicious desserts and an espresso. The grasshopper pie was excellent.

• #2,501
My wife and I just enjoyed our last meal cooked on the old Char-Broil gas grill. BBQ'd shrimp, potatoes and onions in a foil envelope, and steamed whole kernel corn. This old grill has been through 3 burners, 2 lower grates, and 2 upper grates. It's still doing OK, so it's going to be moving to my mother-in-law's camp at the lake. The grill that her son brought over there is so wimpy that you can't sear or brown anything, just dry it to death under low heat. Not good for cooking meats, even 'dogs and burgers.

• #2,502
Well, I've been pushed into the deep end of the pool. My wife was visiting our neighbors and she invited them and their grandchildren to our place on Saturday night for a BBQ. It's their anniversary, and my wife volunteered me to cook up some nice rib-eyes on a grill that I haven't yet bought, assembled, or learned how to control for best results. EEK! :eek:

• #2,503
turbo-1 said:
Well, I've been pushed into the deep end of the pool. My wife was visiting our neighbors and she invited them and their grandchildren to our place on Saturday night for a BBQ. It's their anniversary, and my wife volunteered me to cook up some nice rib-eyes on a grill that I haven't yet bought, assembled, or learned how to control for best results. EEK! :eek:
The new grill sounds awesome turbo, but you really do need time to learn the hot spots, etc... I watched a BBQ champion lose recently because they had a new rig.

• #2,504
Evo said:
The new grill sounds awesome turbo, but you really do need time to learn the hot spots, etc... I watched a BBQ champion lose recently because they had a new rig.
I've been lusting after this rig for a while, and now Tractor Supply not only carries them (no shipping) but puts them on sale for the same price as the dual-fuel model with no side firebox. My wife is thrilled. I told her about this when she called me during her lunch break today. Tonight she declared that this new grill is her birthday present. She loves it when I grill food for us.
"Where is your husband?" "Out back, cooking supper."

I'll have to grab a couple of decent steaks and practice a bit before our neighbors' anniversary. It's a sacrifice I'll willingly make. Time is short and there are some quirks to work out, including dampered chimneys on both the gas and charcoal cookers. Still, built-in thermometers will help a lot.

Last edited:
  • #2,505
I had a charcoal grill for a while---I'm going to stay with propane for the time being---right now its the 'ease' of grilling that's nice---

• #2,506
rewebster said:
I had a charcoal grill for a while---I'm going to stay with propane for the time being---right now its the 'ease' of grilling that's nice---
Propane is nice for "quick and easy" since it's normally just my wife and me that need an easy supper. When it's time to smoke a turkey or some ribs, or put a smoky touch on some nice seared (on the gas) steaks, I want charcoal and wood. When we invite the family for a BBQ, I want to have flexibility, and the trio will give me that. Gas-grilling, charcoal-grilling and/or smoking over direct heat or with indirect heat... I think I'm going to like this rig. BTW, I have about 9 acres of woodlot, so if I want to cook/smoke with native woods, I ought to be OK for a while.

For those who like to smoke foods, fresh-cut fruit wood is preferable to soaked chips or chunks. Apple, pear, and cherry are very nice, as is alder. Alder has a sweet smoke that you have to experience to appreciate. Smoke with apple or alder, and hickory fades quickly.

• #2,507
yep---sounds good with the three--

and the wife...

I cut down that apple that wasn't producing and save some of the logs, dug up the stump so that I could put the new yellow delicious in the same spot (space). The stump I saved also--turned it upside down so it wouldn't root---and the thing gave off spouts from the bottom of the roots anyway--funny site to see

forgot the n't

Last edited:
  • #2,508
rewebster said:
yep---sounds good with the three--

and the wife...

I cut down that apple that wasn't producing and save some of the logs, dug up the stump so that I could put the new yellow delicious in the same spot (space). The stump I saved also--turned it upside down so it would root---and the thing gave off spouts from the bottom of the roots anyway--funny site to see
Apple trees are tenacious. Subject them to almost any kind of insult, and they find a way to bounce back. The largest tree on my property was lopped back to just a few major limbs by the fool that owned the place before us, and I am training it back to nice scaffold-type limbs. Still it throws off enough sun-suckers every year to fill the bed of my pickup.

• #2,509
turbo-1 said:
Apple trees are tenacious. Subject them to almost any kind of insult, and they find a way to bounce back. The largest tree on my property was lopped back to just a few major limbs by the fool that owned the place before us, and I am training it back to nice scaffold-type limbs. Still it throws off enough sun-suckers every year to fill the bed of my pickup.

they need to be trimmed every year--the ones in orchards are umbrella shaped and low; and that's the way I've trimmed the nectarines, peaches and the apple---there's no sense in having height to them

• #2,510
If you have alders surrounding your brooks, wetlands, etc, consider cutting them and using them to smoke meats. Alder is even sweeter than black cherry - what a taste!

• #2,511
I was watching Alton doing sushi. He said in Japan sushi knives can cost over $5,000 a piece. On Amazon.com I saw a wooden bowl to cool sushi rice that cost $460.00.

I made sushi in a plastic bowl I paid $1 for and no one could tell my sushi from what is sold at the corner sushi place where the people can hardly speak English.

Ok, it was only me and the Evo Child, but we know our sushi. :biggrin:

I have a can of vienna sausage. I love vienna sausage. I don't care that there is nothing in it that resembles real food. If they can make sushi from spam in Hawaii, why not vienna sausage in Kansas?

• #2,512
Evo said:
I was watching Alton doing sushi. He said in Japan sushi knives can cost over $5,000 a piece. On Amazon.com I saw a wooden bowl to cool sushi rice that cost $460.00.

I made sushi in a plastic bowl I paid $1 for and no one could tell my sushi from what is sold at the corner sushi place where the people can hardly speak English.

Ok, it was only me and the Evo Child, but we know our sushi. :biggrin:

I have a can of vienna sausage. I love vienna sausage. i don't care that there is nothing in it that resembles real food. If they can make sushi from spam in Hawaii, why not vienna sausage in Kansas?

The only time I ever ate vienna sausage was when I was about 9. I was camping with my family, and I got a stomach virus. So they left me behind (:confused:) and went hiking. After a few hours, I finally felt better, and was *starving* but they weren't back yet. I scrounged around and found a can of them.

I think being in a state of febrile confusion was the only way I could eat them, haha.

• #2,513
lisab said:
The only time I ever ate vienna sausage was when I was about 9. I was camping with my family, and I got a stomach virus. So they left me behind (:confused:) and went hiking. After a few hours, I finally felt better, and was *starving* but they weren't back yet. I scrounged around and found a can of them.

I think being in a state of febrile confusion was the only way I could eat them, haha.
You have something against something that has it's main ingredient listed as "mechanically separated meat"?

• #2,514
Guacamole. Do *NOT* buy Wholly Guacamole. The stuff is terrible. It was bitter and I kept spitting out pieces of avocado skin. A LOT of avocado skin, which is probably why it tasted so bad. Apparently anything but the seed is ok, and maybe the seeds are in there too. Nasty stuff.

The stores used to carry a really good guacamole in the same plastic bags, but suddenly all you could find anywhere was the wholly guacamole crap, like they'd paid off a local food distributor.

I can't remember the name of the good stuff. It was cheap too.

The best, of course is Calavo, but at $5 for 6 ounces you'd have to be nuts to buy it.

• #2,515
I never buy guacamole. It always seems terrible. I guess they have to do something to preserve it and keep it from getting discolored, and whatever that is, it tastes awful. I had a fairly simple recipe somewhere, but I think I've lost it. In addition to the avocado, it had some chopped onion, tomato and cilantro, plus some lime juice. That's what I remember, but don't recall the proportions or if there was anything else in it.

For really quick guacamole, I'll mix an avocado with some store bought salsa (if Turbo lived closer, I'm sure I would like it better with homemade salsa). I just add it about a tablespoon at a time until the texture and taste seem right...no fixed proportions there.

• #2,516
lisab said:
Jewshi.

LOL! Though, sorry, it's already been done. One of the local grocery stores sells that version of sushi (by a more PC name). I don't think they use smoked salmon, just regular salmon, but they do put the cream cheese on it, and I thought it would be good with smoked salmon too. I would have to special order sushi grade tuna around here, so the idea of making sushi with smoked salmon has crossed my mind too.

Just one more day and I can have good sushi in NY again! :smile:

• #2,517
My wife and I just had our first meal cooked on the new ultimate grilling machine. I had fired up the propane burners and loaded the charcoal grill and the side-burning smoker with charcoal to burn out the oil coating the steel. It was blistering hot out on the deck this afternoon, but about 3:30 a large bank of clouds moved in so the temp got down around 80. By 5:00 or so, the oil smell and smoke had totally dissipated, so we opted for a quick supper of grilled hot dogs, toasted rolls, chili relish and mustard. Very simple and fast, and really tasty with a cold beer.

I wish that PFrs lived in the area, so I could share my salsas and chili relishes. I love jalapeno relish with garlic on my hot dogs (along with hot Farmer's mustard) and I just cannot imagine a cheeseburger without my green-tomato/jalapeno salsa and mustard. It's not quite as tart as tomatillo salsa, but nearly so, and I load in the fresh cilantro just before final simmering/canning.

• #2,518
Here's the monster. It dominates the West end of the deck. From left to right: propane side-burner, propane grill with 3 separate burners, charcoal grill with a wide range of easily- selectable grate heights to bring the hot coals very close to the cooking grates if wanted or keep the coals lower, and last a side-burner for charcoal and/or wood. It can be used as a mini-grill or it can be a source of indirect heat and/or smoke for the main charcoal grill. If I can get my mitts on some more culled salmon brood stock, I won't have to smoke the fillets in shifts on my little Brinkman. This bad-boy will handle that chore in large batches.

The chimneys on the gas grill are fixed. The chimney on the charcoal grill is dampered, and there is a nice large louver on the end of the charcoal side-burner so that you can control the air flow through that small body and control the smoke-flow and the temperature in the main charcoal grill.

BTW, if you can find one of these on sale, and the assembly fee is $40 or less, TAKE the deal. Assembling this thing alone was a huge pain because there are lots of massive parts. I'm glad my dog is not a parrot. He heard LOTS of bad words today.

chargriller.jpg

Last edited:
  • #2,519
Evo said:
Guacamole. Do *NOT* buy Wholly Guacamole. The stuff is terrible. It was bitter and I kept spitting out pieces of avocado skin. A LOT of avocado skin, which is probably why it tasted so bad. Apparently anything but the seed is ok, and maybe the seeds are in there too. Nasty stuff.

I'm pretty sure that, if there were an avocado seed in your guacamole, you'd notice it.

:grin:

• #2,520
turbo-1 said:
chargriller.jpg
Jumpin'!

All it's lacking is a whistle and a cow catcher!

[PLAIN]http://www.heritage.nf.ca/society/images/cuff_last_steam_loco_550.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: