What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #2,521
DaveC426913 said:
Jumpin'!

All it's lacking is a whistle and a cow catcher!

[PLAIN]http://www.heritage.nf.ca/society/images/cuff_last_steam_loco_550.jpg[/QUOTE]This might the working end of the dining car...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,522
Supper was pretty good. I cooked thin-sliced potatoes and onions in a foil pack with salt, pepper, olive oil and some smoked paprika. Then, when the potatoes were close to done, I put 4 ears of corn (with butter, salt and pepper) on the grill, and lastly, seared a flat-iron steak seasoned with just salt and pepper. It's nice to have a charcoal grill with a side-smoker. The corn really benefited from the hickory smoke and the charring.

She went to bed recently, still raving about the grilled corn. Who knew?

Last edited:
  • #2,523
Does anyone here love radishes sauteed in butter? If you haven't tried it, trust me, they are heavenly.

Slice them really thin and sautee in butter until they turn translucent. They are alos fantastic added to soups and casseroles.

It's better if you have home grown, they have a fresh, peppery flavor. The ones at the store aren't as peppery, but they'll do.

• #2,524
I often had fried radishes as a kid. You can thin-slice yellow turnip and fry them, too. That's a nice flavor.

Edit: When you have a large garden, it's often necessary to thin vegetables. Slicing root vegetables and frying them was a popular way to use the thinned product.

Last edited:
  • #2,525
turbo-1 said:
Supper was pretty good. I cooked thin-sliced potatoes and onions in a foil pack with salt, pepper, olive oil and some smoked paprika. Then, when the potatoes were close to done, I put 4 ears of corn (with butter, salt and pepper) on the grill, and lastly, seared a flat-iron steak seasoned with just salt and pepper. It's nice to have a charcoal grill with a side-smoker. The corn really benefited from the hickory smoke and the charring.

She went to bed recently, still raving about the grilled corn. Who knew?
Sounds incredible. I *LOVE* your rig. I had to get rid of my weber gas grill when I moved, no place for it. But I won a coleman mini propane grill from work, but I'm afraid of propane, I prefer to work with charcoal. But to be honest, any kind of outdoor grill is illegal here. The apartment manager usually tries to warn everyone if the police are planning to come through to check for grills, it's a $100 fine.

• #2,526
Evo said:
Sounds incredible. I *LOVE* your rig. I had to get rid of my weber gas grill when I moved, no place for it. But I won a coleman mini propane grill from work, but I'm afraid of propane, I prefer to work with charcoal. But to be honest, any kind of outdoor grill is illegal here. The apartment manager usually tries to warn everyone if the police are planning to come through to check for grills, it's a $100 fine.
Ack! $100 buck fine if you have a grill? Even a tiny hibachi or a Weber Smokey Joe mini grill?

I had a ton of fun tonight with that new grill. The propane tank might last a couple of years... the charcoal and hickory is pretty fun right now. When my wife was heading to bed, she said "that was the best supper ever!". Hyperbole, for sure, but she was pretty pumped, and I have put together meals that have wowed friends and family.

• #2,527
turbo-1 said:
Ack! $100 buck fine if you have a grill? Even a tiny hibachi or a Weber Smokey Joe mini grill?
Anything with a flame. Crazy, but there are so many idiots out there, I understand.

I remember when my little sister started school at UT, she was staying with friends of ours that had just bought a gorgeous new townhose in the Austin, TX hills, lovely wooden terraced decks all around. There was a huge fire, luckily they were spared. Apparently a newly wed wife decided she would surprise her new husband by lighting up a hibachi on the deck and cooking dinner. She sprayed charcoal lighter all over the place and burned down her home and a half dozen other units. I'm sure her husband was surprised when he got home and there was no house left. I wonder how that marriage worked out?

• #2,528
Evo said:
Anything with a flame. Crazy, but there are so many idiots out there, I understand.

I remember when my little sister started school at UT, she was staying with friends of ours that had just bought a gorgeous new townhose in the Austin, TX hills, lovely wooden terraced decks all around. There was a huge fire, luckily they were spared. Apparently a newly wed wife decided she would surprise her new husband by lighting up a hibachi on the deck and cooking dinner. She sprayed charcoal lighter all over the place and burned down her home and a half dozen other units. I'm sure her husband was surprised when he got home and there was no house left. I wonder how that marriage worked out?

sort of like the (manly) guys first deep fried turkey --(which I haven't done)

--I think that's the largest deck-style grill I've seen turbo

• #2,529
rewebster said:
sort of like the (manly) guys first deep fried turkey --(which I haven't done)

--I think that's the largest deck-style grill I've seen turbo
I have never deep-fried a turkey, either. That's maybe a cultural "jump the shark" thing. I love cooking on my new grill, though.

• #2,530
How do you people make your eggs?

I always do them sunny side up. I leave the yolks runny. There's a narrow window where the yolks begin to gel, but to prevent them overcooking I tend to err on the side of runniness. Since I'm not flipping the eggs over, it helps to use a lid (and the lowest possible heat) to cook the tops and bottoms evenly...especially a glass lid, because then you can watch the eggs for the critical moment. Luckily, I have a glass lid that happens to fit my #8 cast iron skillet. I cook some bacon first and then fry the eggs in the bacon grease.

• #2,531
Ben Niehoff said:
How do you people make your eggs?

I always do them sunny side up. I leave the yolks runny. There's a narrow window where the yolks begin to gel, but to prevent them overcooking I tend to err on the side of runniness. Since I'm not flipping the eggs over, it helps to use a lid (and the lowest possible heat) to cook the tops and bottoms evenly...especially a glass lid, because then you can watch the eggs for the critical moment. Luckily, I have a glass lid that happens to fit my #8 cast iron skillet. I cook some bacon first and then fry the eggs in the bacon grease.
The way I was taught to cook sunnyside up was to baste the top of the yolk with the hot drippings until the top of he yolk turns opaque. You will find that this turns the top the perfect shade with very little cooking. Just tilt the skillet then use a spoon to keep pouring the drippings over the top of the egg.

• #2,532
While on vacation I learned how to cook a french omelette with cheese on the inside, from the cooks who were preparing breakfast. It really is a delicious way to prepare eggs, but I do need to buy a non-stick pan because right now it's really tricky to get the egg to cook evenly and to fold it without making a mess.

Good tip Evo! I should try that some time, I love eggs sunny-side up.

• #2,533
Good idea, Ben. I should keep my eyes peeled for a glass lid or two for my frying pans. I use whatever metal lid fits (we have a lot of copper-clad Reverewear pots with lids that fit the pans pretty well). Of course, that means I have to use the "sneak a peek" method to get the perfect doneness on sunny-side eggs.

When I'm in a hurry, I crack a couple of eggs in a bowl, add water and whisk it in very briskly while the frying pan is getting near temperature, then slap a big dab of butter in the pan, and dump in the eggs as soon as the butter has melted and is sizzling. I put pepper in the eggs before cooking, but never salt because it makes the eggs too firm. I like using water to make scrambled eggs because the great difference in density and viscosity (eggs:water) makes it easy to entrain lots of air, so I get nice light scrambled eggs not heavy or wet ones.

My mother used to whisk milk into the eggs, but I switched to water when I went off to college, and never looked back. I was never a big milk-drinker, and milk would go sour on me before I'd use it, so water was the logical choice.

• #2,534
I just pulled 12# of smoked pork butt. I love my new smoker/grill! The pork came out perfectly. I started the offset drum smoker at 6:30 am, got the temperatures stabilized, and smoked the sections of butt at around 225 deg (indirect heat) starting around 7:30 or so. This supper is a birthday present to our neighbor (organic gardener's wife) - we also have chicken, burgers, dogs, and rib-eyes, too, so everybody gets choices. Add in my wife's potato salad, the birthday-girl's macaroni salad, and the surprise dessert (chocolate cream pie with oreo crust) and it's shaping up to be a feast.

I want to tinker with the composition of the dry rub a bit, but the smoker is already a keeper. Easy to control the temperature, compared to my old Brinkman smoker.

• #2,535
turbo-1 said:
...we also have chicken, burgers, dogs, and rib-eyes, too, so everybody gets choices. Add in my wife's potato salad, the birthday-girl's macaroni salad, and the surprise dessert (chocolate cream pie with oreo crust) and it's shaping up to be a feast.
Is that place still for sale next to yours? I think I want to be your neighbor.

• #2,536
dlgoff said:
Is that place still for sale next to yours? I think I want to be your neighbor.
The place is still up for sale, dlg. I think you could like living here if you can stand the climate. The neighbors are great, and the swaps of food and other stuff like services/skills help us all. I will gladly use my tractor and roto-tiller to help my neighbors feed themselves. If I need some back-hoe work, welding, wood-milling, etc, I get it all for free from my neighbors. Come move here. You'll love it.

• #2,537
turbo-1 said:
The place is still up for sale, dlg. I think you could like living here if you can stand the climate. The neighbors are great, and the swaps of food and other stuff like services/skills help us all. I will gladly use my tractor and roto-tiller to help my neighbors feed themselves. If I need some back-hoe work, welding, wood-milling, etc, I get it all for free from my neighbors. Come move here. You'll love it.
DL, buy it and I'll marry you.

• #2,538
Evo said:

I think we have the beginnings of a PF retirement commune...but in Maine?

• #2,539
Evo said:
Wow! I could get two PF denizens next-door at one shot! Most of us natives have experience in carpentry, concrete work, mechanics, forestry, and many other fields. Self-reliance is highly-prized here, but even more highly regarded is the willingness to use one's talents to leverage the prosperity of one's neighbors.

• #2,540
lisab said:
I think we have the beginnings of a PF retirement commune...but in Maine?
If you can stand the winters, the place is pretty nice.

• #2,541
turbo-1 said:
Wow! I could get two PF denizens next-door at one shot! Most of us natives have experience in carpentry, concrete work, mechanics, forestry, and many other fields. Self-reliance is highly-prized here, but even more highly regarded is the willingness to use one's talents to leverage the prosperity of one's neighbors.
I'm actually quite skilled at carpentry, I can build fences, my first husband taught me many things.

I'm an awesome cook. I can preserve. I have many basic skills.

• #2,542
Evo said:
I'm starting my savings for it today. You think we can handle the cold though?

• #2,543
dlgoff said:
No problem.

• #2,544
dlgoff said:
The old couple is asking $142K for the place. House, outbuildings, and 22 (mostly forested) acres. There are some massive trees on the property. Also a very nice garden spot with good truck access. They got 14 yards of rotted manure last fall, after I got mine, and I tilled it in with my tractor this spring.

I've got a feeling that they would accept a much lower offer because the housing market around here is dead, and they don't want to face another winter here. The old fellow had a subdural hematoma a while back, and his wife is anxious to move back to Massachusetts to be closer to their sons, especially if he continues to have episodes.

Back to food. We have lots of left-overs from the cookout, so brunch is potato salad.

• #2,545
I was given some deer meat. A tenderloin, eye of round, sausage, and burger.

• #2,546
Turbo, you got some recipes for the roasts?

• #2,547
I would cut the tenderloin into relatively thin steaks and sear them hot and fast in a cast-iron pan. Pre-heat the pan (dry) and dust the steaks with salt and pepper. When the pan is quite hot, toss in a good dollop of butter, smear it around and throw in the steaks, browning on each side ONCE, and put them on a covered plate to relax a couple of minutes before serving. Flipping thin venison steaks from side to side is a good way to make them dry, and tougher than they should be.

Generally, when I get a larger venison roast, I make a traditional New England boiled dinner out of it. Even tougher shoulder and neck roasts come out great that way. Sear the roast in peanut oil in a large heavy-bottomed pan with salt and pepper, making sure to brown all the surfaces. De-glaze the pot with red wine and water, add garlic powder and onion powder and simmer for 3 hours or until the roast "gives" easily when pierced with a large fork. Then add chunks of potato, cabbage, turnip, onion, carrot, etc and continue to simmer until the vegetables are tender. If you did a good job browning the meat, the broth should give the vegetables a nice brown tinge and great flavor. This makes a nice big meal that is great for microwaving leftovers. Now that you have boarders that don't cook, large batch meals like this will pay off.

• #2,548
Another nice cooking tool! My wife found Outset brand stainless-steel grill woks on sale for $6.99 each, so she bought a couple of them. She used one last night to grill potatoes, mushrooms, and onions to accompany our rib-eye. It's a great low-fat way to get grilled vegetables. Also, MUCH easier to clean than the wire baskets we've been using.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AQI146/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,549
Evo Child has been raving about the best BBQ pork ribs she's ever eaten is mine and she wants some.

I got my *secret trick* from a multiple world champion.

Get pork country ribs, boil them in water for an hour, then slather them in BBQ sauce and grill. I can't grill, so I bake them in the oven.

Seriously, the boiling is the key to success. It gets rid of a lot of fat, makes the meat juicy, moist, and fall off the bone. No one has been able to guess that they aren't smoked for hours.

All I hear is "OMG, OMG, they are orgasmic!"

• #2,550
Garlic scape season is here and that means lots of special touches to meals. I grilled some scapes last night, along with corn on the cob and flat-iron steak. Grilling makes the scapes too bland, so no more of that for me. There are better ways to incorporate them into dishes.

This morning, my wife cooked breakfast on the grill. Potatoes, onions, and mushrooms done up in one of our grill-woks, and omelets done on the grill-top in a cast-iron pan. The omelets featured sharp Vermont cheddar and chopped scapes. Very tasty. I just had an early supper of a tuna-salad sandwich on fresh home-made beer-barrel rye bread. The tuna salad has chopped onion, celery, and garlic scapes. Again, very tasty. Scape season is brief, so we need to take advantage of it while it's here.

• #2,551
Sorry to hear the grilled scapes tasted bland, Turbo. Eric really enjoyed them grilled. I believe I'd also like them in a salad or an omelet. I don't have any garlic growing but my chives and egyptian onions all good. I just go out and snip a few when I need some for the pan.

Evo's country ribs sound delicious (Yummm). I believe Alton B would approve of this method. :approve:

Last edited:
  • #2,552
MIH asked me about this recipe, so here it is. If you like chocolate, you will LOVE this. It is the best chocolate ANYTHING I've ever eaten. Well worth the effort.

006uf.jpg

Hershey's Fudgey Chocolate Torte

3/4 cup butter or stick margarine
6 Tbps Cocoa powder
1 cup sugar, divided
2/3 cup ground blanched almonds
2 Tbps flour
3 eggs, separated
2 Tbps water
Chocolate glaze (recipe follows)

Melt butter in medium saucepan over low heat. Stir in cocoa and 3/4 cup sugar; blend until smooth. Remove from heat, cool 5 minutes. Blend in almonds and flour. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time. Stir in water. In medium bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating just until soft peaks form. Gently fold chocolate mixture into egg whites, blending thoroughly. Pour into greased and floured 9-inch layer pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. (Cake will settle slightly). Remove from pan onto wire rack. Cool completely. Invert cake onto serving plate. Spread top and sides with chocolate glaze.

Garnish as desired. 8-10 servings

CHOCOLATE GLAZE:

Melt 2 tablespoons butter or regular stick magarine in small saucepan over low heat. Add 2 tablespoons Hershey's cocoa and 2 tablespoons water; stir constantly until mixture thickens. Do not boil. Remove from heat; add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Gradually add 1 cup confectioner's sugar, beating with whisk until smooth.

• #2,553
Ack! I prefer that my cappilaries pass blood.

• #2,554
turbo-1 said:
You don't eat eggs?

• #2,555
turbo-1 said:

Chocolate is good for you - it has antioxidants! This recipe is clearly health food!

<lisab places hands over ears and says lalalalalalalalalal...>