What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #3,536
fresh_42 said:
You can use this phenomenon if you shout "Caution! Fresh paint!" instead, to make your way through a crowd, e.g. in stadiums.
Watch out for the fresh paint, Lisa!

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,537
Back to @Evo and trees.

620709.jpg

That's the avatar of member Vital, https://www.physicsforums.com/members/vital.620709/

Attachments

• 620709.jpg
    620709.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 267
Likes Evo
  • #3,538
WWGD said:
They have these flyers about lost dogs with pictures in them. Instead of just mentioning the type, color, weight of dogs. Can a human tell apart dogs by the difference in the dog's faces?
For me, yes. However I also get a lot of clues by a dog's mannerisms.

• #3,539
I've beaten my head against a coding problem for several days and it finally submitted to my will.
:partytime: :woot:

Likes Evo and collinsmark
  • #3,540
I just remembered why I know so little about biology... It's gross, revolting. Why does it have to be so graphic? What's the big idea?

I feel I'm going to be sick. You don't want to see what I just saw. That's... I don't think I could ever get a degree on biology. Whatever you do, don't google frog dissection. Or dissection for all that matters. I'm... I'm just going to lay in the floor for a while. Don't mind me. :cry:

• #3,541
Psinter said:
I just remembered why I know so little about biology... It's gross, revolting. Why does it have to be so graphic? What's the big idea?

I feel I'm going to be sick. You don't want to see what I just saw. That's... I don't think I could ever get a degree on biology. Whatever you do, don't google frog dissection. Or dissection for all that matters. I'm... I'm just going to lay in the floor for a while. Don't mind me. :cry:

The grossness is something you can easily get used to.

Biology, itself, is the most intriguing of subject, very complex, yet still very approachable experimentally (including using a lot of physics).
Seeing anatomy is a, to me, is a expression of amazingness of biological phenomena (which extends from the atomic scale to the global scale) and the natural world in general.
It is also placed between physics and the less easily studied, but interesting, world of psychology.

I got over the grossness of it in grade school (biology class).
Now in my oldish age I do recoveries for an eyebank.
The actual recoveries are pretty fun for me (I am actually really good at dissecting things- got the Golden Scissors Award in neurophysiology class!).
The body exams for signs of disease can be kind of gross: blood, poop, puke, pee, feces), but since I have been doing this for more than a year and seen things like gunshot and car crash victims, do not much fazes me now.
I would suppose @berkeman has similar experiences.

Likes collinsmark, Psinter and berkeman
  • #3,542
BillTre said:
seen things like gunshot and car crash victims, do not much fazes me now.
I would suppose @berkeman has similar experiences.
I was lucky -- In my early emergency response training, "moulage" was used extensively. Moulage is makeup that looks like very realistic injuries. I don't want to gross out @Psinter so I won't go into a lot of detail about all of the different moulage variations that I've seen, but the big advantage of that kind of training is when you see it in a training situation you know it's fake (no matter how realistic it looks), which helps to keep it from seeming too gruesome in the training. And then when you see the same kinds of injuries in real life, you basically say to yourself, "I've seen that before", which keeps it from being a distraction or seeming gruesome. You just go straight to treating it without spending much time being distracted by the injury's appearance.

One of the most amazing pieces of moulage I've ever dealt with in training was at a mass casualty training event where a bomb had gone off in a crowd at a large political gathering on a high school football field. The shift I was on was in the middle of the night, and as my team and I worked our way through the field of victims (performing "triage", which is tagging the victims with their severity level so we can prioritize transport), I came upon a semi-conscious man with blast injuries, and no lower left leg. I thought to myself, "Boy that is amazing moulage! What did they do, bury his lower leg in the ground and make it up to look like it has been blown off?!" Turns out the actor/victim is a retired Army veteran who lost his lower leg in Afghanistan a few years ago, and he volunteers at these training events to act (very realistically!) like his leg was just blown off there in the scenario. Kudos to him, amazing realism! :smile:

Likes collinsmark, Psinter, BillTre and 1 other person
  • #3,543
BillTre said:
Now in my oldish age I do recoveries for an eyebank.
Wait, what? No. I am so not going to google what that is.
eb4.gif

Attachments

• eb4.gif
    eb4.gif
    588.5 KB · Views: 715
Likes BillTre
  • #3,544
Psinter said:

I take out corneas and sometimes whole eyeballs (only from dead people).
They are used in transplants for people with eye problems.

Likes pinball1970 and berkeman
  • #3,545
BillTre said:
I do recoveries for an eyebank.
Psinter said:
He misspelled it. He's a Repo Man for the iBank, a division of Apple that does loans for self-driving smart bicycles.

Likes Psinter, fresh_42 and BillTre
  • #3,546
Psinter said:
I feel I'm going to be sick. [...]
Hmm, that probably rules out a career in most forms of medicine. And don't visit an abattoir, or even a farm.

Likes Psinter
  • #3,547
BillTre said:
I did not want to hear that. Where's the 'nope' button? 1 person 'noped' this post. Because of reasons. :-p
berkeman said:
He misspelled it. He's a Repo Man for the iBank, a division of Apple that does loans for self-driving smart bicycles.
:DD Makes sense now.

• #3,548
BillTre said:
Wait - so if I got a corneal transplant I could say "I see with dead people"?

Likes BillTre
  • #3,549
Ibix said:
As long as you don't see like dead people. :oldwink:

• #3,550
Psinter said:
Why does it have to be so graphic?

We have to thank the morbid curiosity of the guys who wanted to see how the human body was made and functioned.
The basis of medicine pathology anatomy physiology

Da Vinci is a good example, he supposedly did dissections to improve his art but I bet he was curious about what muscles tendons etc really were made up and worked.

His studio probably did not smell very nice given 16th C cleaning and sterilizing methods

Likes Psinter and BillTre
  • #3,551
Ibix said:
Even worse: By a very massive coronal mass ejection many of us will become a client for the coroner.

... duck and cover ...

Likes pinball1970
  • #3,552
Bill is the dead people's ICU .

• #3,553
I need to lose 10 pounds. I will shape up Ipso Fatso.

Likes atyy
  • #3,554
WWGD said:
I need to lose 10 pounds.
Easy. Have a trip to UK. You'll lose probably more than ten though.

• #3,555
fresh_42 said:
Easy. Have a trip to UK. You'll lose probably more than ten though.
Ah, I forgot they never adopted the Euro, right? Sterling all the way, I guess.

• #3,556
Hmm @fresh_42 are you talking about the cost of English cuisine or its palatability?

Likes atyy
  • #3,557
WWGD said:
Ah, I forgot they never adopted the Euro, right? Sterling all the way, I guess.
I moved them. I thought this would be better as Jim had a serious request that shouldn't have gotten drowned.
Dale said:
Hmm @fresh_42 are you talking about the cost of English cuisine or its palatability?
I know we have British members, so I better do not say something about the English cuisine. Let me state some facts instead: The Scottish fry Mars bars in a form of tempura and in England you'll find a lot of good Indian restaurants.

• #3,558
fresh_42 said:
I moved them. .

Wow, that's like 64 million people. You must be pretty strong. Still, just because they don't use the Euro? Wow!

Likes fresh_42
  • #3,559
If you're worried about losing pounds, visit Pret for lunch.

Come to think of it, there's a bunch of Pret's in New York, too. I miss them.

• #3,560
There is a school of thought that the best British food is actually foreign. The corollary is that our empire was the largest food run in history, with the most gunships.

Likes BillTre
  • #3,561
Ibix said:
There is a school of thought that the best British food is actually foreign. The corollary is that our empire was the largest food run in history, with the most gunships.

We have a concentration of takeaway places in the cities. Indian Chinese Pizza and Turkish (Kebabs, burgers) and some American chains some very unhealthy stuff

Traditional "English" food is something of a novelty you get it in Pubs rather than restaurants, watered down versions.

• #3,562
StoneTemplePython said:
If you're worried about losing pounds, visit Pret for lunch.

Come to think of it, there's a bunch of Pret's in New York, too. I miss them.
Thanks, Spring will take care of it; will cut down on the rich foods needed to stay warm + sitting all day when temperature is too cold to go for a quick walk. It is just some 10lbs after all, just " Winter weight".

Last edited:
  • #3,563
In my dream, it was my SO's birthday. So I bought all the tickets for a movie so the two of us could watch it alone. Just keeping each other's company.

I heard in the US, movie the tickets are expensive. But where I live they are rather cheap. You could buy the whole session for about $1500.

Does it makes sense? I don't know. But who's to say dreams make sense. The point wasn't the money, the point was to spend some time with each other.

What other ways of spending time alone could there be?

• #3,564
A good way to start a conversation with someone would be:

"...but... have you tried garlic bread?"

:DD

Garlic bread is the best. I can't tell you how much satisfaction I get when I eat it together with grilled chicken thigh kebabs. Although I don't use all the extra ingredients they use in that article or even marinate it. I go plain and it still tastes awesome. And if you combine it with rice you will have not only a full stomach, but full satisfaction. Garlic bread gives that touch that will make you say: "Best lunch ever." :approve:

• #3,565
I have risen from my grave. Hast Riemann's great conjecture been proved?

• #3,566
Argh! If I say I've got a ten pound note and two five pound notes everyone agrees I've got twenty pounds. As soon as I write 1×10+2×5 there's always someone who thinks I have 60 and operator priority is a ridiculous conspiracy by moustache-twirling mathematicians to make their life difficult.
nuuskur said:
I have risen from my grave.
Welcome back. Saw you on another thread and thought I hadn't seen you in a while.
nuuskur said:
Hast Riemann's great conjecture been proved?
No. Maybe the operator ordering is wrong. :oldgrumpy:

• #3,568
Borg said:
Somebody is taking April Fools just a little too far. Please tell me the European Model is wrong. 18 inches of snow in APRIL?!? :wideeyed: :nb) ?:)
Not sure which weather model they use, but my local European forecast page says something about 20°C in DC.

• #3,569
fresh_42 said:
Not sure which weather model they use, but my local European forecast page says something about 20°C in DC.
The picture above is using the European Model (see selections on left). It is supposed to be 65 F on Friday followed by snow on Saturday.

• #3,570
Borg said:
The picture above is using the European Model (see selections on left). It is supposed to be 65 F on Friday followed by snow on Saturday.
They forecast a temperature drop to 7°C / 45°F on Sat 4/7 for DC and 25 l/sqrm up to 33 l/sqrm precipitation. Still too warm but a lot of rain. And in case it falls as snow before it will melt, but they say rain ...