What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #3,501
Ibix said:
Doesn't surprise me - you can't swing a cat round here without hitting an expert on something random like dealing with cat scratches to the head.
I recently said ##p+V## is affine for ##p\neq 0## and linear if ##p=0## for the sake of clarity to emphasize the difference. My greatest fear is, that someone starts a discussion on whether linear spaces are also affine spaces, just a special case. I don't really care and actually think so, too, but it would leave the OP completely confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,503
fresh_42 said:
You should have warned me. To me this is a persona non grata :cool:
Agreed, his views verge on the disgusting. Not a right- nor left- thing, just kind of disgusting.

• #3,504
Psinter said:
I make everything right even when I make it wrong.

I will go along with that claim, you have an almost 3 likes per comment ratio whereas mine is approximately 1 like for every two comments

This means you are 6 times more something than I am

• #3,505
WWGD said:
That's the problem of trying a joke with the science crowd; they fact-check you when you try to use some license :) . I remember once I told the joke that the Vatican's logicians were working over time after the pope said: " I am sorry, I was wrong before -- I actually _am_ infallible" , and someone (seriously) gave me a pretty full argument for EDITwhy the Pope making a mistake did not contradict the doctrine of infallibility. Serenity Now!

that poor Lloyd Braun

Likes WWGD
  • #3,506
StoneTemplePython said:
that poor Lloyd Braun
Anyt
StoneTemplePython said:
that poor Lloyd Braun
...Insanity later ;).

Likes StoneTemplePython
  • #3,507
WWGD said:
Anyt

...Insanity later ;).

Indeed.

Ibix said:
Doesn't surprise me - you can't swing a cat round here without hitting an expert on something random like dealing with cat scratches to the head.

Watch out-- a couple of us are Seinfeld Advisors on here

Likes WWGD
  • #3,508
WWGD said:
Anyt

...Insanity later ;).

the one with Lloyd and the Alex Theater may be my favorite episode -- 'your cars on fire'

Likes WWGD
  • #3,509
StoneTemplePython said:
the one with Lloyd and the Alex Theater may be my favorite episode -- 'your cars on fire'
Any question about life can be answered by watching some episode of Seinfeld.

Likes StoneTemplePython
  • #3,510
pinball1970 said:
I will go along with that claim, you have an almost 3 likes per comment ratio whereas mine is approximately 1 like for every two comments

This means you are 6 times more something than I am
Hihi. I have no clue as to why, but it gives me the impression that most of my likes appear to come from girls (mostly one though :doh:). Looks like guys don't like me :frown:. Why you no like me boys, why? I should ask how to impress boys :-p. What content would mostly impress boys.

In reality I must have a zero point something ratio, but because my posts are mostly on the lounge, my post count is stuck. Check @Greg Bernhardt number of likes. He's godlike :biggrin:. Most liked perhaps? Hmmmmmmm. Who's most liked I wonder. Must be Greg or a mentor.

• #3,511
WWGD said:
Any question about life can be answered by watching some episode of Seinfeld.

That's pretty close to my mantra though Seinfeld is quiet on important things like the Internet and Ben Stiller, so I think Curb needs to be consulted as well.

- - - -
edit: it may have been too subtle, but my mantra is not Serenity Now

Likes WWGD
  • #3,512
Psinter said:
In reality I must have a zero point something ratio, but because my posts are mostly on the lounge, my post count is stuck. Check @Greg Bernhardt number of likes. He's godlike :biggrin:. Most liked perhaps? Hmmmmmmm. Who's most liked I wonder. Must be Greg or a mentor.

With me its the musics tracks! I read mostly and only comment when I think I can add something

If the comment is not savaged then perhaps I have some understanding of that point or least have not posted something completely idiotic

I am still learning- I will check out Greg- just for interest.

• #3,513
pinball1970 said:
If the comment is not savaged then perhaps I have some understanding of that point or least have not posted something completely idiotic
When I post something idiotic:
joey-not-even-sorry.gif

Attachments

• joey-not-even-sorry.gif
    joey-not-even-sorry.gif
    500.9 KB · Views: 267
Likes pinball1970
  • #3,514
Me passenger. Vehicle moving at 65 mph in highway when suddenly another vehicle rear bumped us. Other car rolled and got vertically nailed onto the ground. Driver who bumped us was covered in blood and his passenger fled the scene with a broken ankle before the police arrived. Leaving the driver alone. No idea why she left, but I didn't care. Non of my business. Nothing happened to me :smile:.

The police officer cracked a joke and said: "You have an angel up your a**" To which I replied: "Yeah. He's telling me 'I'm tired of protecting you. I want a salary.'" And while we were cracking jokes the other guy was sitting there covered in blood and all confused. But an ambulance arrived quickly, so there's that.

I don't really know if I was lucky. I mean, could something bad have happened to me? I went to sleep thinking, but I'm not even worried. Just thoughts that float your mind.

• #3,515
I think I've accidentally killed a tree using a 3W led light :-(

Due to problems with delivery men not being able to find my house I erected a small sign illuminated by a 3w led wired to a light sensor so it only comes on at night. Six months later this nice 30 year old evergreen oak next to it has died. I noticed the light was illuminating the under side of the leaves at night but didn't realize it could kill the tree. Gutted.

• #3,516
Hmm... I wonder what the modus operandi of that is! Any plant biologists around?

• #3,517
CWatters said:

Due to problems with delivery men not being able to find my house I erected a small sign illuminated by a 3w led wired to a light sensor so it only comes on at night. Six months later this nice 30 year old evergreen oak next to it has died. I noticed the light was illuminating the under side of the leaves at night but didn't realize it could kill the tree. Gutted.
MURDERER!

• #3,518
Evo said:
MURDERER!
Inadvertently, therefore Manslaughter.
But the tree would first have to be declared as a Person, as corporations are. Does that make a defunct corporation a victim of suicide?
Or one that was sued out of business a victim of Homicide?
Oh what a tangled web we weave...

Maybe I should just delete this post!

• #3,519
Tom.G said:
Inadvertently, therefore Manslaughter.
But the tree would first have to be declared as a Person, as corporations are. Does that make a defunct corporation a victim of suicide?
Or one that was sued out of business a victim of Homicide?
Oh what a tangled web we weave...

Maybe I should just delete this post!
You don't understand how deeply some people feel the death of rocks and trees.

• #3,520
Unusual video. Of course we cannot know how others feel, we can however have empathy for them. I have felt sadness at the loss of a tree, often because of its connectedness to history - either personal or generally. For a rock - that would be a stretch, for me at least.

But at least on this site, most of us can discuss things and appreciate that others may have different views.

Be well, Evo.

Tom

• #3,521
Tom.G said:
Unusual video. Of course we cannot know how others feel, we can however have empathy for them. I have felt sadness at the loss of a tree, often because of its connectedness to history - either personal or generally. For a rock - that would be a stretch, for me at least.

But at least on this site, most of us can discuss things and appreciate that others may have different views.

Be well, Evo.

Tom
I have felt sad at losing a plant. I love plants. Never lost a rock, maybe misplaced one.

• #3,522
Evo said:
Never lost a rock, maybe misplaced one.
Even just misplacing a shiny one that is worn on the finger could be, mmm... disconcerting.

• #3,523
Tom.G said:
Even just misplacing a shiny one that is worn on the finger could be, mmm... disconcerting.
Tom, you're my brother from another mother! I've grown a huge staghorn fern from a cell in a test tube. I've collected rocks and feathers. Yeah, Ok, maybe I am am weirder than you.

• #3,524
Likes Tom.G
  • #3,525
Already covered in a PM with Evo. Sorry to disappoint you.

• #3,526
CWatters said:

I doubt your little light killed the tree.
Trees under street lights don't die. Those lights are probably brighter.
You have an N of 1.
Put your light on some other trees and report back.
Also, plant another tree to make Evo happy.

• #3,527
BillTre said:
Trees under street lights don't die. Those lights are probably brighter.
My thought, too, but maybe the location matters. Street lights are mainly above plants or shielded by their caps towards the sky. So it could be, that the daily change of light direction for the leaves might have played a role.
BillTre said:
Also, plant another tree to make Evo happy.
#MeToo.

• #3,528
I suppose it could be a coincidence but adding the light was the only change I could see. Couldn't see any disease but I'm no expert.

Tree was planted by a now 90 year old resident of the village and is a relatively rare multi stem evergreen oak. A fabulous tree that we named our house after. Hope to replace it next season if I can find one.

• #3,529
Look around base. About this time of year rodents get after new bark. Voles eat a half inch strip all the way around right at ground level .
A few years ago after losing my third apple tree i thought it was a neighborhood hare. So we made him into a delightful stew.
Then my sister showed me what vole damage looks like.
Three years later when the voles got my fourth apple tree i gave up.

• #3,530
I did one of the most dangerous things in my life yesterday. No parachuting, jumping, climbing, etc. I went to this place to buy shirts, discounted at 5 for $10 ( and of good quality; the whole thing legit, of course). The dangerous part: I followed the salesman through several doors in order to get to the place where the shirts were. He could have easily just close one of those doors when I was far in , pull a gun/knife on me and I would have no way to get away from him. I could have made this post more dramatic by claiming to be posting from within the building, but I made it out. Not a smart decision on my part.

• #3,531
Evo said:
You don't understand how deeply some people feel the death of rocks and trees.

What the hell!? A tree falls over one should be glad that they were not under it - that is far as my emotion goes on that one.

As for rocks? Come on.

• #3,532
They have these flyers about lost dogs with pictures in them. Instead of just mentioning the type, color, weight of dogs. Can a human tell apart dogs by the difference in the dog's faces?

Likes Tom.G
  • #3,533
WWGD said:
lost dogs with pictures
"Answers to ______," not that any animal will answer to just about anything that catches its attention.

Likes WWGD
  • #3,534
Bystander said:
"Answers to ______," not that any animal will answer to just about anything that catches its attention.
I have also noticed something similarly weird with people. In a crowded place, someone will shout : Lisa! And everyone will turn their heads, even many men. ?

• #3,535
WWGD said:
I have also noticed something similarly weird with people. In a crowded place, someone will shout : Lisa! And everyone will turn their heads, even many men. ?
You can use this phenomenon if you shout "Caution! Fresh paint!" instead, to make your way through a crowd, e.g. in stadiums.

Likes Bystander