What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #3,641
Sausage rolls downhill or uphill?

Likes nuuskur
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,642
WWGD said:
Sausage rolls downhill or uphill?
They have a cable car on that hill, no need to roll.

• #3,643
Almost every morning before work - used to drop by a Caltex station. Grab a battery (a can of red bull) and two sausage rolls. Breakfast of champions! :D Only possible in Aussieland

• #3,644
Hey, given the whole Syria, Korea deals, will just say : It was good knowing you all, in case we are all gone in the morning.

• #3,647
fresh_42 said:
I'm more afraid of the local absurdities :nb) , and of course the many cultural differences.
How can something be "locally absurd"?

• #3,648
WWGD said:
Depends on whether you have a donkey in AZ
If you allow your donkey to sleep in a bathtub, you’re an ass. If you allow it while you’re in Arizona, you’re a criminal. According to a law made in 1924, it is illegal for donkeys to sleep in bathtubs. etc.
(https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/weird-laws-in-america_us_56a264abe4b0d8cc1099e1cd)

Edit: I like Idaho! But New Jersey can really get you!

• #3,649
WWGD said:
Presumably, surdity can be made to vanish at a point by an appropriate choice of coordinates, but not globally.

• #3,650
Ibix said:
Presumably, surdity can be made to vanish at a point by an appropriate choice of coordinates, but not globally.
I can conceive of many absurdity maps that would preserve the properties.

• #3,651
WWGD said:
I can conceive of many absurdity maps that would preserve the properties.
True, but by hypothesis local absurdity exists. Therefore my statement in #3649 holds, although other possibilities may exist if we discard the requirement of local absurdity.

• #3,652
Ibix said:
True, but by hypothesis local absurdity exists. Therefore my statement in #3649 holds, although other possibilities may exist if we discard the requirement of local absurdity.
We may be violating Some Monty Python intellectual property in the process, though ;).

Likes fresh_42
  • #3,653
WWGD said:
We may be violating Some Monty Python intellectual property in the process, though ;).
The Ministry of Silly Theories? Schrodinger's Parrot?

• #3,654
Ibix said:
I think it was one where they dressed like women --doesn't narrow it down much from what I remember.

• #3,655
WWGD said:

Ibix said:
Are you guys suggesting to open a blackmail forum?

• #3,656
fresh_42 said:
Are you guys suggesting to open a blackmail forum?
Just £500 to stop us publishing that personal theory you came up with when you were 12!

• #3,657
Another classy move today: I was getting some work done in a coffee shop when the manager comes in and announces a band will start playing. Right then, he introduces it and I just blurt out a " Oh $%^& " ( I thought they would interrupt my work ) and a bunch of people turn to look my way. Inner voice and outer voice...

Likes nuuskur and StoneTemplePython
  • #3,658
Oh $%^&", indeed. Do you get to keep your job, at least :oldsurprised:

• #3,659
I just read the Intermediate math challenges, again. I remember problem 6 as an exercise in the course of black magic (read: complex analysis). The theory of residues really is..black magic.

• #3,660
"Every minute counts". Hmmm... I saw a few minutes and I did not see them/ hear them counting.

• #3,661
Wow, bacon was tasty, but not $5.45 tasty. Will stick to usual breakfast place.

• #3,662
I am not addicted to caffeine ..

.. I'll be right back, need a cup of tea.

• #3,663
WWGD said:
"Every minute counts". Hmmm... I saw a few minutes and I did not see them/ hear them counting.
Every second counts. You were probably observing odd-numbered minutes.

Likes nuuskur and WWGD
  • #3,664
Ibix said:
Yes, when I saw the counting minutes, I thought : How odd...

• #3,665
Ibix said:
I guess I will listen especially carefully next time an odd minute comes, to hear whether it counts, too, or not. But usually the fireworks are so loud that it's almost impossible to hear it count. Maybe that's why they release it then.

• #3,666
WWGD said:
Deontological, profilactic sausage encryption? I will hire this guy as the PR guy for my group:

It may not be "random enough", but I was wondering if there is more wisdom to be had from In Living Color, perhaps once a week?

:biggrin:

• #3,667
Things I learned from the movies #26: all rooms in Paris have a view of the Eiffel Tower.

• #3,668
Ibix said:
Things I learned from the movies #26: all rooms in Paris have a view of the Eiffel Tower.
Yeah, and all places in Germany are full of flags. If I want to see some, I'll have to watch an American show, 'cause outside it'll be far too troublesome to find any. And of course, the Turkey at the corner selling kebabs automatically turns into some kind of Hofbräuhaus.

• #3,669
Getting up and personal with a landing gear.
landing gear.jpg

Attachments

• landing gear.jpg
    landing gear.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 307
Likes Ibix, Borg and OCR
  • #3,670
StoneTemplePython said:
It may not be "random enough", but I was wondering if there is more wisdom to be had from In Living Color, perhaps once a week?

:biggrin:
There is Wisdom galore to be gained from Living Color, particularly from Oswald " Wisdom Galore" Bates.

• #3,671
Bear with me: I ran into Yogi at Yellowstone.

• #3,672
WWGD said:
Bear with me: I ran into Yogi at Yellowstone.
Nope, always been a Boo Boo fan.

• #3,673
My friend just sent a message to Pujols in LinkedIn for his 3,000th hit. Wonder if Pujols will reply.

• #3,674
WWGD said:
There is Wisdom galore to be gained from Living Color, particularly from Oswald " Wisdom Galore" Bates.

I guess my question is:

is this one of those "this is left as an exercise to the reader" situations? Or will we have a (weekly?) guided tour here? :oldwink:

- - - - -

I have a feeling I'll like this Oswald guy. Sounds like a Bond character. I have a feeling DAG may have some wisdom too.

Likes WWGD
  • #3,675
If I added vitamin c powder to a bottle of water and froze it, would the vitamin be destroyed?