What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #3,676
put a piece of lemon (lime) in the water, instead

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,678
Thanks, Iemon is a good idea and I'll get some litmus paper.

"Vitamin C is susceptible to air and the longer a fruit is frozen, the more vitamin C is lost." - Google

I always thought that when something is frozen, all the atoms stop moving. I don't know why something will get more damaged the longer is it frozen.

I have a smoothie chilling in the fridge made of a whole pineapple, 400ml of coconut cream and dark cane sugar.

• #3,679
skyshrimp said:
"Vitamin C is susceptible to air and the longer a fruit is frozen, the more vitamin C is lost." - Google

I always thought that when something is frozen, all the atoms stop moving. I don't know why something will get more damaged the longer is it frozen.

Google is not much of a source, particularly when it comes to things like nutrition. Google is a good first-order tool for finding sources (on nutrition, for example), but is not source in and of itself. (On the other hand, Alphabet's Google division might be a good source on aspects of search engine technology, for example.)

I think the source of the quote you mentioned comes from an article on livestrong.com (not Google), https://www.livestrong.com/article/361456-nutrition-loss-in-frozen-foods/. But I do not consider that a good source either since it provides no sources of its own to back up its claim.

• #3,680
There's nothing under the sky which doesn't exist somewhere: just found a website named: "mathisnoa...le".

• #3,681
Come on, or Ramon (.org)?

• #3,684
(Literally) bit my tongue like 4 times in the last few days. Wonder if it is stress-related. It hurts like $%^

• #3,685
WWGD said:
(Literally) bit my tongue like 4 times in the last few days. Wonder if it is stress-related. It hurts like $%^
Could be worse. It could have bled like $%^\, and it hardly stops if it's the tongue. And as if this wasn't enough, it tastes like licking an I-beam.

• #3,686
fresh_42 said:
Could be worse. It could have bled like $%^\, and it hardly stops if it's the tongue. And as if this wasn't enough, it tastes like licking an I-beam.
Wie Jimmy Sagte : Hast du Ehrfarung?

• #3,687
WWGD said:
Wie Jimmy Sagte : Hast du Ehrfarung?
Sure. But I haven't figured out why, and your report supports my hypothesis, that once it happened once, it will inevitably happen more than once.

• #3,688
And now for a call back to the first of the month
- - - - -
WWGD said:

Frequently people choose to to bite their tongue instead of saying something disruptive, like I dunno...

WWGD said:
...he introduces it and I just blurt out a " Oh $%^& " ( I thought they would interrupt my work ) and a bunch of people turn to look my way.

• #3,689
fresh_42 said:
There's nothing under the sky which doesn't exist somewhere: just found a website named: "mathisnoa...le".
Hmm, where's the proof of RH? :D

• #3,690
nuuskur said:
Hmm, where's the proof of RH? :D
Somewhere on the ground of the North Sea between Denmark and England. Hardy lost it there.

Likes nuuskur
  • #3,691
My project lost it's sysadmin a few weeks ago. I've had to take over until we can get a replacement (and I train him).
So, this has been my life for the past few weeks... :rolleyes:

TonightWeTestInProd.jpg

Attachments

• TonightWeTestInProd.jpg
    TonightWeTestInProd.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 766
Likes Ibix
  • #3,692
Can someone provide an answer to a question I have, that seems half baked to me, before I start a thread.

Namely, in the MWI, every possible world is equally real. Yet, this reality seems only seems real to me. I mean, to kind of dumb down the question into a nutshell, 'why haven't I won the lottery yet'?

• #3,693
There people from this company "AE" that read "AE better world". Why leave out a measure-zero non-better world?

• #3,694
Borg said:
So, this has been my life for the past few weeks... :rolleyes:

View attachment 225519
I explained the distinction between dev, test and prod to my wife, and then showed her the Leonidas meme. She laughed, then questioned whether the punchline was worth the two minute lecture on IT methodology. :frown:

• #3,695
Ibix said:
I explained the distinction between dev, test and prod to my wife, and then showed her the Leonidas meme. She laughed, then questioned whether the punchline was worth the two minute lecture on IT methodology. :frown:
Is this part of the whole " This is Parta" (Sparta?) t-shirt logos I have been seeing?

• #3,696
WWGD said:
Is this part of the whole " This is Parta" (Sparta?) t-shirt logos I have been seeing?
I've not seen those logos, but I don't see the link beyond both being lines from 300 (edit: both from Leonidas, in fact). I think the movie is just so scenery chewingly over-the-top (mis-)quotable that it gets used for all sorts of things.

• #3,697
Ibix said:
There is a difference?

• #3,698
fresh_42 said:
There is a difference?
A difference between dev, test and prod? So I'm told.

• #3,699
Ibix said:
Yeah, sometimes there can be found traces in the mud, but often it's too difficult to observe them in the wild ... because it's ...

• #3,700
Ibix said:
In the prod version all the error-checking is removed, so you won't know why it went wrong.

Likes Borg
  • #3,701
DrGreg said:
In the prod version all the error-checking is removed, so you won't know why it went wrong.
No, only their name is different: they are called change requests instead of error protocol :biggrin:

• #3,702
DrGreg said:
In production it doesn't go wrong. There are just unintended features.

Likes StoneTemplePython and Bystander
  • #3,703
DrGreg said:
Even if using Agile/Sprint? EDIT: Agile/Scrum.

Last edited:
  • #3,705

Attachments

• 1277035813-239197_1_schuh-1FNG.jpg
    1277035813-239197_1_schuh-1FNG.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 628
  • #3,707
Ibix said:
In production it doesn't go wrong. There are just unintended features.

Wait, I know this one.

ItsAFeature.jpg

Attachments

• ItsAFeature.jpg
    ItsAFeature.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 640
Likes collinsmark and Ibix
  • #3,709
Speaking of features. What can I do when my company installs a version of Windows 10 that locks the screen if there isn't any input for 15 minutes and the settings can't be changed even with admin rights?
This of course. :devil:
Java:
public static void main(String args...) {
    Robot robot = new Robot();
    Random random = new Random();
    while(true) {
        Point point = MouseInfo.getPointerInfo().getLocation();    // Get the current mouse location
        point.setLocation(point.getX()+random.nextInt(1), point.getY()+random.nextInt(1));    // Move x and y one pixel randomly
        robot.mouseMove(((int)point.getX()), ((int)point.getY());
        Thread.sleep(800000);      // wait 14 minutes and move it again  
    }
}

Likes collinsmark, fresh_42 and Ibix
  • #3,710
I don't know why search results never contain actual answer visible without/before clicking. If you, e.g., ask for the translation of Sturgeon to German, all you see are hits with lines like: The word Sturgeon translates into German as ... and you have to click to see the actual answer.