What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #3,781
StoneTemplePython said:
By the way, I really like dumb word association games. Frequently the other people don't even know they're playing though!
Yea, I end up conversations often wondering: what the @#$ was s/he talking about? Pretty sure the other party feels the same way.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,782
Why am I so entertained by my GPS attempting to pronounce Hawaiian streets and place names?

• #3,783
Janus said:
Why am I so entertained by my GPS attempting to pronounce Hawaiian streets and place names?
Well, it's fun, in a way, kind of... . :blushing:One time, I changed the default "voice command" prompt to "Hello, Hal" , but it never would respond... it just

sat there on the dash, and silently mocked me... . :oldgrumpy:Of course, when I slammed my locked pickup door closed, and my keys were still inside, I heard... " I'm sorry Dave ! "

Hell, it didn't even know my real name ... . :oldmad: . lol.

Last edited:
  • #3,784
OCR said:
Well, it's fun, in a way, kind of... . :blushing:One time, I changed the default "voice command" prompt to "Hello, Hal" , but it never would respond... it just

sat there on the dash, and silently mocked me... . :oldgrumpy:Of course, when I slammed my locked pickup door closed, and my keys were still inside, I heard... " I'm sorry Dave ! "

Hell, it didn't even know my real name ... . :oldmad: . lol.

A computer or so ago, I replaced the sounds that Windows played with clips of HAL's voice. When I tried to do something not allowed, I would hear "I'm sorry Dave. I can't do that. ", and when I shut it down, it sang "Daisy".

Likes fresh_42, OCR and nuuskur
  • #3,785
Janus said:
Because that means that you are driving around in Hawaii? That would be entertaining for me. :woot:

• #3,786
Borg said:
Because that means that you are driving around in Hawaii? That would be entertaining for me. :woot:
Only for another day, we catch a red-eye for home tonight .

• #3,787
Before I will forget it: Make sure to have your towel with you tomorrow!

• #3,788
Boston Dynamics and Madame Tussauds should team up and make very realistic, humanoid robots together.

Naughty robots that do very naughty things!

Amirite?

Maybe they could get them to cheat at cards or something.

Last edited:
  • #3,789
Here's another ponderer: Why is it that the people who walk like they are trying to squash a bug with every step spend most of their time pacing back and forth in their Hotel room?. We had one on our last night. CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP to one side of the room, then two seconds later, CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP back to the other side, a slight pause, then CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP back again ...

• #3,790
I added another girl to the list of kids I want for a total of six, Sophia. So now it's Christopher Jr, Samantha, Maxwell, Sabrina, Alexander and Sophia in that order. I don't plan to die so quick.

• #3,791
Why don't companies sell carbonated pure fruit juice?

The only ones I've found are less than 10% juice.

• #3,792
Chris Riccard said:
I added another girl to the list of kids I want for a total of six, Sophia. So now it's Christopher Jr, Samantha, Maxwell, Sabrina, Alexander and Sophia in that order. I don't plan to die so quick.
Congratulations!

• #3,793
fresh_42 said:
Congratulations!
Hehe, I don't have the kids yet, I have to make a lot of money first. ;)

• #3,794
Chris Riccard said:
Hehe, I don't have the kids yet, I have to make a lot of money first. ;)
Though you have their names already ... In this case, I recommend to work on your attitude towards women first. The woman in question might want to have a word in it, too, and in numbers as well as names!

• #3,795
I have to say this is non negotiable, not only do I want two wives they must give me each three baby's and use hormone therapy to assure that I get the right sex. ;)

• #3,796
Chris Riccard said:
I have to say this is non negotiable, not only do I want two wives they must give me each three baby's and use hormone therapy to assure that I get the right sex. ;)
Your name doesn't sound Arabic. So I guess your only other option is Utah. :biggrin:

• #3,797
Utah if need be, strangely I've been training all the little girls to be successful with my microcontroller powers, it's kinda cool that I get to raise the future. God knows I waited long enough.

• #3,798
Btw, the keyword isn't
Chris Riccard said:
hormone therapy
but IVF.

• #3,799
I'll learn about it more when the times right, did I mention l want to deliver my own baby's, a hospital just in case with all it's resources but when it comes to this I want to do it myself.

• #3,800
My breakfast.

breakfast.jpg

Attachments

• breakfast.jpg
    breakfast.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 330
  • #3,802

• #3,803
That moment when you drive on your car and tell everyone talking too loud to shut up so you can see better.

:doh:

• #3,804
Wonder if the Indy or Daytona 500 would be fun with self-driving cars?

Likes fresh_42
  • #3,805
This morning, as I sat waiting at a traffic light by myself, I looked up at the slowly moving clouds in the early morning light and thought to myself "heat exchangers".

• #3,806
Borg said:
This morning, as I sat waiting at a traffic light by myself, I looked up at the slowly moving clouds in the early morning light and thought to myself "heat exchangers".
Yep. There's a nice word in my language to describe that. It cannot be translated in a way which covers all its connotations, so I'll describe it: "illness caused by profession".

cp. https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/you-know-youre-a-nerd-if.895558/#post-5633537

Likes jim mcnamara and Borg
  • #3,807
I kind of scoffed and laughed it off when a group of psychics did a ceremony to clear the city of evil spirits.
But then the landlord association decided to change their annual meeting outside of the city?

Likes BillTre
  • #3,808
Still trying to understand eigenvalues/eigenvectors in Face recognition process. Instead of "Phase Space" we have an actual " Face Space" , and a notion of distance between faces ( to decide whether two faces belong to the same person). So why do some believe Mathematicians are weird?

• #3,809
WWGD said:
Still trying to understand eigenvalues/eigenvectors in Face recognition process. Instead of "Phase Space" we have an actual " Face Space" , and a notion of distance between faces ( to decide whether two faces belong to the same person). So why do some believe Mathematicians are weird?
Distance is trivial. As you have match - doesn't match at the end of any process, the discrete metric is given. However, I assume the actual metric is a better example than this. But this is only my eigenopinion and maybe I should better grab my eigennose. I first typed eigennoise. Freud?

• #3,810
fresh_42 said:
Distance is trivial. As you have match - doesn't match at the end of any process, the discrete metric is given. However, I assume the actual metric is a better example than this. But this is only my eigenopinion and maybe I should better grab my eigennose. I first typed eigennoise. Freud?
Well, Ok, yes, my bad, I was referring to the loss function used to decide whether two faces are equal or not. EDIT So we compute whether the faces are "close enough" to represent the same person.

Last edited:
  • #3,811
WWGD said:

This seems like a topic for the Eigenlounge

hmmm...

Likes WWGD
  • #3,812
StoneTemplePython said:
This seems like a topic for the Eigenlounge

hmmm...
Eigen D#$% right!

Likes StoneTemplePython
  • #3,814
I really miss Miss Miss(issippi). Sorry, couldn't help myself.

• #3,815
WWGD said:

what a difference a word makes...

in this vein -- if I tell non-mathematically inclined people "I really like decompositions" that could sound really strange, particularly if they watch a lot of CSI, right?

I suppose German speakers will think I'm saying that I like "die Komposition(s)"... so there's that.