What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #3,746
WWGD said:
Jerry!, Jerry !, ...
Too many beeps and bars. I'm an adult and don't like to be told what I'm allowed to hear and see and what not. This censoring - under the assumption that it had already been added to the original tape - is a single metaphor on the American hypocrisy: either you produce such shows (<substitute by a subject of your choice>) and live with the results, or you do not. But do not pretend as if it was of any quality or you had to prevent your audience from disturbing sounds or views, that's ridiculous. That's why I complain about the news: what happened and weekly happens were and are more or less free decisions, and to complain about them afterwards, is ridiculous.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,747
Change of subject: What is it, that people are interested in whether Mr. Xyz married Mrs. Uvw or not? I don't get it. It's even less interesting than this famous sack of rice in China.

Likes dlgoff
  • #3,748
fresh_42 said:
Too many beeps and bars. I'm an adult and don't like to be told what I'm allowed to hear and see and what not. This censoring - under the assumption that it had already been added to the original tape - is a single metaphor on the American hypocrisy: either you produce such shows (<substitute by a subject of your choice>) and live with the results, or you do not. But do not pretend as if it was of any quality or you had to prevent your audience from disturbing sounds or views, that's ridiculous. That's why I complain about the news: what happened and weekly happens were and are more or less free decisions, and to complain about them afterwards, is ridiculous.
It's trash TV, embarrassing -enough that it is out. But you omitted the last 20-or-so seconds of the show , where Jerry pretends there is a message to the show beyond " Hey, for whatever reason, people watch this trash I am putting out".

• #3,749
fresh_42 said:
Change of subject: What is it, that people are interested in whether Mr. Xyz married Mrs. Uvw or not? I don't get it. It's even less interesting than this famous sack of rice in China.
The NY Times has a few pages devoted to that. Maybe it is a way for those who appear in the column to show that they have made it -- it must cost a fortune to be mentioned there.

• #3,750
If a flat earther flew around the Earth in a plane, how would he explain that event?

• #3,751
skyshrimp said:
If a flat earther flew around the Earth in a plane, how would he explain that event?
Easy:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/225989

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-20_20-39-19.png
    upload_2018-5-20_20-39-19.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 338
  • #3,752
WWGD said:
Sorry I didn't go for your namesake Python; still, we don't have StoneTempleJAva (still?) ;).

Well good luck with Java. I know that some people do start with it, though I cannot imagine doing so -- too many Classes and too verbose... doesn't fit with my motto of start simple and build.

My vote in general for applicability and complementers (a useful idea coined by Andy Grove... maybe worth reading about him and the idea some more) is to learn C or Python first. I'm not aware of much great Java based intro to coding MOOC stuff but I am for C and Python, see here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/where-to-start-computer-science.903126/#post-5687288
- - - -

• #3,753
fresh_42 said:
Easy:

So what if he wanted to fly in a straight line, across the ground at level height? Where would he be after traveling for 40,075 km? :D

• #3,754
Ibix said:
Things I learned from the movies #26: all rooms in Paris have a view of the Eiffel Tower.
That's not so far from the truth. On my recent trip to Paris I was quite surprised to see that there are almost no high-rise buildings in the main part of Paris at all, so you can see the Eiffel Tower without much difficult across much of the city. The Pompidou Centre is about 7 floors and is taller than everything else around it, so from the top floors you can see right across Paris in all directions.

• #3,755
skyshrimp said:
So what if he wanted to fly in a straight line, across the ground at level height? Where would he be after traveling for 40,075 km? :D
It does more or less. I assumed the disc rotating.

• #3,756
StoneTemplePython said:
Well good luck with Java. I know that some people do start with it, though I cannot imagine doing so -- too many Classes and too verbose... doesn't fit with my motto of start simple and build.

My vote in general for applicability and complementers (a useful idea coined by Andy Grove... maybe worth reading about him and the idea some more) is to learn C or Python first. I'm not aware of much great Java based intro to coding MOOC stuff but I am for C and Python, see here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/where-to-start-computer-science.903126/#post-5687288
- - - -
I agree but the jobs I was applying to where denying me on that ground and I am tired of part-time gigs.

• #3,757
WWGD said:
I agree but the jobs I was applying to where denying me on that ground and I am tired of part-time gigs.

Life has a funny way of messing up my plans too

Likes WWGD
  • #3,758
StoneTemplePython said:
Life has a funny way of messing up my plans too

Worse of all, no one is willing to pay me to watch tv all day while eating cheese puffs. So I must do something else. Go figure!

Likes StoneTemplePython
  • #3,759
WWGD said:
Worse of all, no one is willing to pay me to watch tv all day while eating cheese puffs. So I must do something else. Go figure!

I read somewhere that "if you build it, they will come."

So obviously, you just need to create your own YouTube channel and set up a camera. Then the big bucks just start flowing in, right?

Likes WWGD
  • #3,760
StoneTemplePython said:
I read somewhere that "if you build it, they will come."

So obviously, you just need to create your own YouTube channel and set up a camera. Then the big bucks just start flowing in, right?
Consider it done!

Likes StoneTemplePython
  • #3,761
skyshrimp said:
People who buy into conspiracy theories that elaborate would probably have no problem just wrapping that up in some other wild hypothesis, like "the plane ride was a simulation!" or "they moved everything around on a giant conveyor belt!"

• #3,762
skyshrimp said:
They would likely respond with something containing the fragment: " That is what they want you to believe" ( With an ominuous tone of voice; you know, the " They" that have done so much to continually cover up just-about everything). Then they would get upset at me: " Why are you rolling your eyes?" .

• #3,763
WWGD said:
"Why are you rolling your eyes?"
Suggestion of an answer: "Because I cannot afford a contract killer."

Likes Ibix
  • #3,764
fresh_42 said:
intrigue, potential drama. It sells. I don't get it, either, but it is what it is.
fresh_42 said:
Easy:

without turning the plane, that diagram would demonstrate the Earth is bowl-like o0)

How does a flatearther explain polar days/nights?

• #3,765
Still, the question comes back: If we have the term 'Overwhelmed' and 'Underwhlmed' , why not 'Whelmed'?
And again: 'Ministry' is not a small stry, 'Satisfactory' is not a place where Satis are produced. What gives?

• #3,766
WWGD said:
Still, the question comes back: If we have the term 'Overwhelmed' and 'Underwhlmed' , why not 'Whelmed'?
And again: 'Ministry' is not a small stry, 'Satisfactory' is not a place where Satis are produced. What gives?
Not so fast, young man:
  • to whelm
  • satisfactory is indeed a place where satis is produced
  • and if it aren't the functions of priests which diminish nowadays, I don't know what else should be mini

• #3,767
WWGD said:
Worse than that, why do "flammable" and "inflammable" mean exactly the same thing?

• #3,768
fresh_42 said:
Not so fast, young man:
  • to whelm
  • satisfactory is indeed a place where satis is produced
  • and if it aren't the functions of priests which diminish nowadays, I don't know what else should be mini
Reminding me of what I had posted here a while back: never to make a joke, comment or vent on a nerd site :). I have had jokes on the pope's infallibillity ( " The pope just said: I was wrong, I _am_ infallible" ) corrected.

Last edited:
  • #3,769
DrGreg said:
Worse than that, why do "flammable" and "inflammable" mean exactly the same thing?
Irregardless ;).

Likes fresh_42
  • #3,770
Besides, you drive on the parkway and park in the driveway.

• #3,771
In some countries ordinary roads are free and you pay to use the freeway.

Likes WWGD
  • #3,772
CWatters said:
In some countries ordinary roads are free and you pay to use the freeway.
Right, haha , pay the toll to get into the freeway.

• #3,773
More from the restaurant with the 50% off every dish from noon to 4 p.m. which then gives you portions half the size of the original: Coupons at the exact same price for things sell in the restaurant.

• #3,774
WWGD said:

It's kind of like, how is "Manure" a gross thing? I mean there's two words under there "Ma" being your Ma, which is a good thing, and "Newer" and new is good too.

Likes WWGD
  • #3,775
StoneTemplePython said:
It's kind of like, how is "Manure" a gross thing? I mean there's two words under there "Ma" being your Ma, which is a good thing, and "Newer" and new is good too.
...And it almost got George a date with Marissa, so , how bad can it be? I call my favorite French wine: Caumanure. Sounds French-wine-like.

Likes StoneTemplePython
  • #3,776
WWGD said:
...And it almost got George a date with Marissa, so , how bad can it be?

I was talking about this bit with someone a couple weeks ago believe it or not. I have it mixed up in my head with the Marisa Tomei timeline too (and also the 'By Mennen' episode where George steals his date's alarm clock with hilarious after effects).

So I had to look it up -- this one is with a waitress at Monk's, epic lunch date in the park... it ends with George eating alone at Reggie's :cry:

WWGD said:
I call my favorite French wine: Caumanure. Sounds French-wine-like.

a nice edit -- I almost didn't see this! I like it, but I don't know if I'd drink it!

Likes WWGD
  • #3,777
StoneTemplePython said:
I was talking about this bit with someone a couple weeks ago believe it or not. I have it mixed up in my head with the Marisa Tomei timeline too (and also the 'By Mennen' episode where George steals his date's alarm clock with hilarious after effects).

So I had to look it up -- this one is with a waitress at Monk's, epic lunch date in the park... it ends with George eating alone at Reggie's :cry:
a nice edit -- I almost didn't see this! I like it, but I don't know if I'd drink it!

Isn't that the episode of " The Summer of George" , where he was going to decompress/decompose ( decompress from not having worked for , basically ever)?
Just ask the waiter if he has cow manure, but pronounce it with French accent. And ask for it fresh. Don't give me the old stuff, I want my wine fresh.!

Likes StoneTemplePython
  • #3,778
WWGD said:
Isn't that the episode of " The Summer of George" , where he was going to decompress/decompose ( decompress from not having worked for , basically ever)?
haha what? The Summer of George is extra classic but I was thinking of the lunch date / walk in the park which was in season 6.
WWGD said:
Just ask the waiter if he has cow manure, but pronounce it with French accent. And ask for it fresh. Don't give me the old stuff, I want my wine fresh.!
what vintage year? Perhaps '42? :wink:

Likes WWGD
  • #3,779
StoneTemplePython said:
what vintage year? Perhaps '42? :wink:
No, make a scene if they offer you the '42 , shouting " This is old wine! I want my wine fresh ! " like a gauche new-rich.

Likes StoneTemplePython
  • #3,780
WWGD said:
No, make a scene if they offer you the '42 , shouting " This is old wine! I want my wine fresh ! " like a gauche new-rich.
By the way, I really like dumb word association games. Frequently the other people don't even know they're playing though!

Likes WWGD