What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #4,376
WWGD said:
freshmeister

Love this alternate name!

Likes WWGD
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,377
BillTre said:
Love this alternate name!
I came to it after weeks of deep meditation : Freshmeister or Freshenheimer. I hope I chose correctly!

• #4,378
Fresh will let you know.

• #4,379
I may have run into a social phenomenon. Every single time I have asked to share a table at St Arbucks with a woman, she has said yes, and then has stood up and left after 15 minutes or less.

• #4,380
WWGD said:
I may have run into a social phenomenon. Every single time I have asked to share a table at St Arbucks with a woman, she has said yes, and then has stood up and left after 15 minutes or less.
I know this effect from replacing books on the table with titles like "Differentiation and Integration" or so. Which is your trick?

• #4,381
WWGD said:
Is that a video of you after the hot water?The handler is an abstraction for the hot water?

I feel like Mr Bubz dude. All I know is that I'm treating each fart with extreme caution.

• #4,382
fresh_42 said:
I know this effect from replacing books on the table with titles like "Differentiation and Integration" or so. Which is your trick?
Appearance and cheap deodorant, I guess?

• #4,383
skyshrimp said:
I feel like Mr Bubz dude. All I know is that I'm treating each fart with extreme caution.
They deserve your(our) highest regard indeed!

• #4,384
Wait what, St Arbucks??
you mean Starbucks?

• #4,385
I saw what he did there

• #4,386
nuuskur said:
Wait what, St Arbucks??
you mean Starbucks?
Starbucks _before canonization_ . I submitted an application for sainthood: $9.95 + S&H.

Likes nuuskur
  • #4,387
skyshrimp said:
I saw what he did there
Maybe you can send me the pics, to apply for sainthood? I will appoint you the holy(wholly?) Caffeinator-in-chief?

• #4,388
I want to go to the shops quick. It's just up the road.

Should I risk it? My bum might give out half way there, but I'm feeling confident.

Wish me luck PF!

• #4,389
skyshrimp said:
I want to go to the shops quick. It's just up the road.

Should I risk it? My bum might give out half way there, but I'm feeling confident.

Wish me luck PF!
God luck! If anything, remember, you have been annointed. Claim your sainthood if anything.

Likes skyshrimp
  • #4,390
I always wondered why there seems to a much larger variety of alphabets than of number systems; mist sm to use 1,2,3,... But the $#@ internet takes away any good excuse and I just have to admit that I am too lazy to look it up.

• #4,391
Our number system emigrated form India over Arabia to Europe and then the Americas and Australia. Which leaves little left. So the question turns into: What happens east of India? E.g. China has its own numbers, and the Babylonians had 60 as a base. And what about the aborigines in Australia, tribes in the Amazon rainforest, or the first nations. My guess is, that it has basically been driven by trade. Talk whatever you like, but when it comes to money, ambiguities aren't fun anymore. However, it took the European traders embarrassingly long to change from the stupid Roman number system to the Arabian decimal system.

• #4,392
fresh_42 said:
Our number system emigrated form India over Arabia to Europe and then the Americas and Australia. Which leaves little left. So the question turns into: What happens east of India? E.g. China has its own numbers, and the Babylonians had 60 as a base. And what about the aborigines in Australia, tribes in the Amazon rainforest, or the first nations. My guess is, that it has basically been driven by trade. Talk whatever you like, but when it comes to money, ambiguities aren't fun anymore. However, it took the European traders embarrassingly long to change from the stupid Roman number system to the Arabian decimal system.
But how about the ambiguities caused by having, not just different languages, but different alphabets?

• #4,393
Wow, psychodelic: Pizza served in elliptical plate:
Used to be, for circular plates (Say) : 6'' for just $12.
What now:
Minor axis 4'' , major axis 6'' just for $12?

• #4,394
WWGD said:
Wow, psychodelic: Pizza
So it had mushrooms on it?

• #4,395
dlgoff said:
So it had mushrooms on it?
Maybe . It may have been thatat the plate was actually circular but the 'shrooms made it look elliptical yo me.

Likes dlgoff
  • #4,396
I felt guilty and did not collect the winning bet on watching a movie in 5d.

• #4,397
WWGD said:
I felt guilty and did not collect the winning bet on watching a movie in 5d.
That was a puzzle. I was reading a book of puzzles recently. The answer is that 5d is the apartment...

• #4,398
I got an email request for tutoring 'avance calculas' (advanced Calculus). I think I'll skip it.

• #4,399
Avance calculas is very simple, isn't it? :)

Likes WWGD
  • #4,400
WWGD said:
I got an email request for tutoring 'avance calculas' (advanced Calculus). I think I'll skip it.
English included or not?

• #4,401
fresh_42 said:
English included or not?
Not sure, still, too avance for me.

• #4,402
WWGD said:
Not sure, still, too avance for me.
Good that they wrote calculas and not analisit.

• #4,403
Speaking of which, the first time I read (probably a list of courses in the uni) some "Advanced calculus" (in Estonian roughly translated to "Higher calculus" or "Higher algebra") I thought it sounded very fearsome and complicated. A bit further down on the list was "Mathematical analysis I" which sounded..you know, more friendly, more neutral.

..oh how wrong I was.

These days the course has a more fearsome title: "Single variable real analysis" (analysis I)

• #4,404
Another weird discussion ( i am seeing a pattern here) someone talking about communication : We should all spend more time listening than talking. Is that possibleif everyone were to spend, say, 60% of their time listening, don't we need to have at least one person talking more than 60% of the time? I guess it is complicated since we communicate with many people, but it is definitely impossible with two people: if they get together for an hour, they cannot both listen for 40 minutes.

• #4,405
fresh_42 said:
Good that they wrote calculas and not analisit.
Usually analisit are psychiatrist. When I had a problem in integration, I told someone I need an analyst. They told me :" No kidding".

Likes nuuskur
  • #4,406
Greco-Roman ## \neq ## Greek or Roman!

• #4,407
WWGD said:
Greco-Roman ## \neq ## Greek or Roman!
Have you joined a wrestler group?

• #4,408
fresh_42 said:
No, maybe I should try wrestling with women like Andy Kauffman did. It was his way of meeting women , since he was too shy.

BTW, something similar happened today. I ended up in a video for a song " East End Boys and West End Girls" a while back and wanted to hear it again.

I kept looking for "Eastern Boys and Western Girls" , found nothing. Somehow managed to end up on right video.

• #4,409
fresh_42 said:
I did do a few lessons of MMA a while ago. The instructor kept calling it Gecko-Roman style, which made me smile. When he wasn't looking my way, anyway.

• #4,410
WWGD said:
BTW, something similar happened today. I ended up in a video for a song " East End Boys and West End Girls" a while back and wanted to hear it again.

I kept looking for "Eastern Boys and Western Girls" , found nothing. Somehow managed to end up on right video.
Google is pretty good at fixing that kind of thing. The error is called Mondegreen, apparently. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondegreen

Likes WWGD