What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #4,411
Ibix said:
I did do a few lessons of MMA a while ago. The instructor kept calling it Gecko-Roman style, which made me smile. When he wasn't looking my way, anyway.
Beside merging two different cultures, which I don't find especially strange, considering that the Romans copied the Greek culture anyway, what's really funny is, that Greco-Roman means not to grab anything below the waist. Now in contrast to our modern taboos, neither the Greek nor the Romans would have had any problems touching any parts of the body above or below the waist. However, I don't know whether there are written rules how they really wrestled at the competitions.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,412
  • #4,413
WWGD said:
Thank you, will keep it in mind when Gecko -wrestling East end girls.
Don't forget horse and lance when you will fight the Hook Mill.

• #4,414
fresh_42 said:
Don't forget horse and lance when you will fight the Hook Mill.
Ok, will look it up, but now iguana drink some water.

• #4,415
I don't really like guano drinks.

• #4,416
fresh_42 said:
I don't really like guano drinks.
Not even Iguana guano? Iguana know why.

• #4,417
Ibix said:
The instructor kept calling it Gecko-Roman

My wife buys paint from "Sherman Williams" and likes the PF Chang "Asian Beefstro." She was honestly shocked when I corrected her on these. We still laugh about them.

• #4,418
gmax137 said:
My wife buys paint from "Sherman Williams" and likes the PF Chang "Asian Beefstro." She was honestly shocked when I corrected her on these..

She panhandle the truth!

Likes nuuskur
  • #4,419
My wife used to tell people that she got married on an American man.

She had a few issues with prepositions.
Or maybe it was pre-positions. :oldtongue:

• #4,420
Borg said:
My wife used to tell people that she got married on an American man.Or maybe it was pre-positions. :oldtongue:

I thought you did not end sentences with pre-positions.

• #4,421
Borg said:
My wife used to tell people that she got married on an American man.

She had a few issues with prepositions.
Or maybe it was pre-positions. :oldtongue:
Is she from Finnland?

csm_1028283723_b5383c9d5d.jpg

https://www.moz.de/artikel-ansicht/dg/0/1/1585700/

Attachments

• csm_1028283723_b5383c9d5d.jpg
    csm_1028283723_b5383c9d5d.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 495
  • #4,422
fresh_42 said:
Is she from Finnland?

View attachment 232073

https://www.moz.de/artikel-ansicht/dg/0/1/1585700/

Some people take Yoga to new levels!

• #4,423
Written on the pancake bottles:

American version: enough for 12-14
German version: 4-6

My output:
American version: enough for 4-6
German version: 12-14

And no, I did not confuse them, as they have different names: the American version is literally called pancakes whereas the German version is named pancakes.

• #4,424

pancake Bottles?!

• #4,425
nuuskur said:

pancake Bottles?!
4000400112170_270922.png

Attachments

• 4000400112170_270922.png
    4000400112170_270922.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 601
  • #4,426
  • #4,427
Theoretical Physicists exists only in theory ...

• #4,428
WWGD said:
I think most would call it pancake mix bottles.
But my German is 10000 worse than your English .

• #4,429
WWGD said:
But my German is 10000 worse than your English .
I didn't want to destroy the absurdity that comes along with pancakes + bottles. I mean it is pretty absurd to buy them ready made if it only takes a bit flour, sugar, eggs and ##NaHCO_3##, but somehow my experiments to mix the dough on my own haven't resulted in the desired taste, yet. My suspicion is, that fresh eggs instead of egg powder makes the difference. Or we are already so used to convenience food that the taste of real eggs feels strange.

• #4,430
fresh_42 said:
I didn't want to destroy the absurdity that comes along with pancakes + bottles. I mean it is pretty absurd to buy them ready made if it only takes a bit flour, sugar, eggs and ##NaHCO_3##, but somehow my experiments to mix the dough on my own haven't resulted in the desired taste, yet. My suspicion is, that fresh eggs instead of egg powder makes the difference. Or we are already so used to convenience food that the taste of real eggs feels strange.
I don't know about eggs but I know that after using Splenda for a while, I now need like 3x the amount of regular sugar I needed before that.

• #4,431
WWGD said:
I don't know about eggs but I know that after using Splenda for a while, I now need like 3x the amount of regular sugar I needed before that.
I remember that I once tried to find a yogurt. Simple as that: no sugar, no tastes, no left or right turning bacteria, nothing but a simple yogurt. I gave up after ten minutes or so.

• #4,432
English is strange once again.

Is it correct to say "I'm going to go to the shop" or "I'm going to the shop"/"I will go to the shop"/"I will be going to the shop"?
The 'going to go' expression seems so strange / redundant yet I hear it used Everywhere.

• #4,433
nuuskur said:
English is strange once again.

Is it correct to say "I'm going to go to the shop" or "I'm going to the shop"/"I will go to the shop"/"I will be going to the shop"?
The 'going to go' expression seems so strange / redundant yet I hear it used Everywhere.
I will let you know when I get back from the shop.

Likes pinball1970 and nuuskur
  • #4,434
I can’t wait till I get home from college today. I say that everyday and feel excited to get home but once I get home I feel neutral about being home.

• #4,435
P
Borg said:
Maybe it was a typo. :oldwink:
No, I am AB positive. Positive.

• #4,436
WWGD said:
I will let you know when I get back from the shop.
are you going to go to work or will you be going to work?

• #4,437
nuuskur said:
are you going to go to work or will you be going to work?
Usually I have heard I am going to work. I am going to go to workis rare in my experience and it sounds very indirect.

• #4,438
WWGD said:
Usually I have heard I am going to work. I am going to go to workis rare in my experience and it sounds very indirect.
right, I say these phrases the following way.
I am going swimming/shopping. I am going to work/school. I am going home.
These all sound much more natural than their "going to go" counterparts. But I do hear "going to go" being used. Is it legit English or is there something fishy with it?

• #4,439
051dc4599d04750ac6cb08b48fad43675e7833-v5-wm.jpg
<- that does sound somewhat fishy:smile:

Attachments

• 051dc4599d04750ac6cb08b48fad43675e7833-v5-wm.jpg
    051dc4599d04750ac6cb08b48fad43675e7833-v5-wm.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 207
Likes nuuskur
  • #4,440
nuuskur said:
right, I say these phrases the following way.
I am going swimming/shopping. I am going to work/school. I am going home.
These all sound much more natural than their "going to go" counterparts. But I do hear "going to go" being used. Is it legit English or is there something fishy with it?

it is the difference between something you intended to do now and something you intend to do later. I am playing foot ball then i am going to the pub

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes WWGD
  • #4,441
see, you didn't say "going to go to the pub". That settles is: "going to go" is slang, strange incorrect English. Nothing to see here :)

• #4,442
nuuskur said:
see, you didn't say "going to go to the pub". That settles is: "going to go" is slang, strange incorrect English. Nothing to see here :)

of this is to do with going not tense.

If the event involves a going rather than a doing then a go can be utilised

I'm on a bus so it's hard to type!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #4,443
I agree here with Pinball, going to go is more when you are in planning mode.

Last edited:
  • #4,444
I got either 78% or 87% on my online dyslexia quiz.

Likes pinball1970 and dlgoff
  • #4,445
At least you didn't get 8%7. That would really be bad.