What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #4,516
Melon collie will be your main problem!

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,517
happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me, happy birthday dear me-e, happy birthday to me

Likes mrgrtt123, WWGD, BillTre and 2 others
  • #4,518
Got six bags of groceries at the supermarket but I arrived home with only 4. I thought I had a few more years until senility :(.

• #4,519
nuuskur said:
happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me, happy birthday dear me-e, happy birthday to me

I hope that it's not just you that remembers it's your hatch day. :nb)

• #4,520
mrgrtt123 said:
I hope that it's not just you that remembers it's your hatch day. :nb)
interesting terminology :oldbiggrin:
my family knows, of course :partytime:

• #4,521
Got the same email this year. Pure poetry, all warmth: "Have a merry Christmas , or whatever it is you celebrate".

Likes collinsmark
  • #4,522
Why do I always forget what I am about to post right before I post it

• #4,523
Stephenk53 said:
You need to remember what you forgot. Did you forget that?

• #4,524
Stephenk53 said:
Douglas Adams, of Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy fame, wrote a very short story about a man going to the lost property office and saying he's lost something... he doesn't remember what it was... but it wasn't a very good whatever it was... it was a bit like a sieve...

• #4,525
WWGD said:
You need to remember what you forgot. Did you forget that?

I totally forgot to remember what I forgot

Likes nuuskur and WWGD
  • #4,526
There is a guy called Juan Garcia in my building. He is the only Juan.(EDIT: Pronounce Juan: Who - Ann )

Last edited:
Likes nuuskur
  • #4,527
Every time I venture out of Math, Physical "Exact" Sciences I feel like puling my hair. Precise definitions seem to disappear. How the #$% do we define a Latent Class? 300 videos in YouBoob on motivating the concept-- nothing wrong with that-- but no actual definition: Aaaaaargh... After 3 days I think I more or less figured it out.

• #4,528
I think 'irregardless' has met it's match ( or at least close): 'unrelentless'.

• #4,529
One of my new favorites: "Please forget everything you have learned at school; because you did not learn it." (E. Landau) or one from Erdös: "You do not learn mathematics, you just get used to it."

• #4,530
fresh_42 said:
One of my new favorites: "Please forget everything you have learned at school; because you did not learn it." (E. Landau)
cc: @Stephenk53

Last edited:
  • #4,531
WWGD said:
I think 'irregardless' has met it's match ( or at least close): 'unrelentless'.
People keep telling me to "hang fire". They mean "don't do this just yet, we might not need to do it at all". But that's what "hold fire", "hold on", or "hang on" mean. Presumably someone just completed the pattern. But a "hang fire" is a kind of weapons malfunction that's frequently fatal to the user: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hang_fire

It irritates me every time.

Likes Drakkith, WWGD, Bystander and 1 other person
  • #4,532
fresh_42 said:
One of my new favorites: "Please forget everything you have learned at school; because you did not learn it." (E. Landau) or one from Erdös: "You do not learn mathematics, you just get used to it."

That is so true, I’ve just started college and I already forgot a lot and I forgot what I even forgot

• #4,533
Stephenk53 said:
That is so true, I’ve just started college and I already forgot a lot and I forgot what I even forgot
I'll remember that (last one on this, I promise.) regardless and hang fire unrelenlessly.But I could care less.

Last edited:
  • #4,534
WWGD said:
I'll remember that (last one on this, I promise.) regardless and hang fire unrelenlessly.But I could care less.
There have been more quotations on the site I got those from, e.g. Mathematics is music of the mind, music is the mathematics of the soul. (D. Charms (sic!))

Just saying, IAHFU.

• #4,535
fresh_42 said:
Just saying, IAHFU.
Gesundheit??

• #4,536
WWGD said:
Gesundheit??
Thank you, regardless and hang fire unrelenlessly!

• #4,537
fresh_42 said:
Thank you, regardless and hang fire unrelenlessly!
How did you guess the motto in my family seal??

Likes Drakkith
  • #4,538
WWGD said:
How did you guess the motto in my family seal??
I think I saw it somewhere on tv but can't remember ...

upload_2018-12-6_20-30-21.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-6_20-30-21.png
    upload_2018-12-6_20-30-21.png
    132.6 KB · Views: 295
Likes WWGD and nuuskur
  • #4,539
I forgot my other rant ( no, it's not "Get off my lawn!") : the phrase " At a fraction of the cost" , which, strangely, assumes a fraction is a small number. How about 100/1, 20000/1, etc?

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42
  • #4,543
Weird,
My shoe soles are wearing out unevenly. I tried to put my body weight evenly over each foot.
Let's see if this works in next ew weeks.

• #4,544
Wife said "That's a bit half fetched." Probably meant "Far baked".

Likes collinsmark, fresh_42 and Ibix
  • #4,545
Jonathan Scott said:
For some reason, that reminds me of a story told by the late Humphrey Lyttelton, whose hobbies included bird watching. An interviewer once asked him:

"You're a bit of an orthinologist (sic), aren't you?"​

He couldn't think of a witty reply at the time, but on the way home it came to him:

"No, I'm more of a word botcher"​

Likes collinsmark and Ibix
  • #4,546
Jonathan Scott said:
I like that one! It's like "not thought to the end". I see hundreds of applications!

• #4,547
Jonathan Scott said:
You're married to "Mrs. Malaprop?":wink:

• #4,548
I have colonoscopy in the morning. Bends in the colon can make passing the scope uncomfortable and in some cases cause pain. Occasionally, the pain can be so severe that the procedure has to be stopped. There's a 1 in 100 chance of a perforation when removing large polyps which will need surgery :nb)

• #4,549
That sounds... unpleasant. Hope it goes well.

Likes WWGD and skyshrimp
  • #4,550
It makes more sense: hey there Delilah, not hey there saliva.And, to the guy in the table next to mine : it is dumkopf , not dumf*ck.