What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #4,551
Wow, two women fighting it out, beating the crap out of each other, just outside the supermarket. Jerry!,Jerry!...

Likes fresh_42
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,552
I guess you regretted wearing no hat, so you could walk around and collect some bucks.

• #4,553
fresh_42 said:
I guess you regretted wearing no hat, so you could walk around and collect some bucks.
Iocal cops won't let me in on their action.

• #4,554
Strange. My carton of eggs from last time contained all "twin eggs", so I only need to use one egg instead of two. Maybe that has a special meaning in some cultures; to me it just means good luck: more food for the same price :).

• #4,555
Started working on a new project at work and it's the same old thing - overly complex code built by someone who then left and nobody understands how it works. :oldruck:

Likes Ibix
  • #4,556
Borg said:
Started working on a new project at work and it's the same old thing - overly complex code built by someone who then left and nobody understands how it works. :oldruck:
Let me guess - there's exactly one comment in the code, and it says "I don't understand this next bit - Dave wrote it for me".

• #4,557
Ibix said:
Let me guess - there's exactly one comment in the code, and it says "I don't understand this next bit - Dave wrote it for me".
Comments? :oldeyes:

Likes collinsmark
  • #4,558
Borg said:
Comments? :oldeyes:
They're for wimps, I gather. ?:)

• #4,559
The architecture may be documented on an unreferenced Wiki someplace. But then again, maybe not.

I think that what I might have to do is write a machine learning program that will predict the slowdown of productivity based on the complexity of code being checked in and then create some pretty graphs of the results (for the managers). :oldbiggrin:

• #4,560
I can suggest one metric: number of times a function is cut-and-paste into the same program, with only the function and argument names changed.

• #4,561
Ibix said:
I can suggest one metric: number of times a function is cut-and-paste into the same program, with only the function and argument names changed.
Ah, lucky, I found a place that sells frying cheese. Now I would like to find plantains somewhere.

• #4,562
New all philosophy radio station: WYOY.

Last edited:
  • #4,563
Do you fry the plantains or eat them raw?

Last edited:
  • #4,564
skyshrimp said:
Do you fry the plantains or eat then raw?
Fried, but then they must be ripe. I don't like the green ones. How about you?

• #4,565
I like them raw and not ripe. Same with bananas. Weird I know.

• #4,566
skyshrimp said:
I like them raw and not ripe. Same with bananas. Weird I know.
Hey, good deal, we won't have to fight for the same food,d more for each :).

Likes skyshrimp
  • #4,567
Night shows on particularly sharp knifes don't seem to make the connection. " Cuts through everything as if it was butter, with no effort". Pssst...How about _your fingers_?

Likes fresh_42
  • #4,568
How about we settle and have hugs AND drugs. why choose?

• #4,569
Shut up, Niemoller. Not in front of my conscience.

• #4,570
Another triple syllable repeat : Will Diego Go Golfing? Any others out there, aka, anyone else with so little useful to do with their time?

• #4,571
Another $50 for a visit to help someone with PC issues. Again, all easily solvable with , at most, a quick internet search. Go lazyness!

• #4,572
Borg said:

Reminds me of a project I made in high school (not for a class) where I took random code from random sites (just small bits at a time) and tried to integrate said code into my site, even when the total number of lines of code was under 100 lines I had no idea what was happening so I decided to double down and added over 10000 lines of code which I eventually got to work but if you asked me what any of the code did I would not be able to tell you except for the beginning which mostly had code I made from scratch.
Edit: not even my teacher could figure out my code

• #4,573
Sounds ready for a production delivery. :oldtongue:

• #4,574
The real joy is a mile long spaghetti code from the 80's with "if ... then ... else go to ..." every few lines! So if you skip anywhere in the code, the only thing for sure is: "I'm here because I'm not anywhere else." What a information density!

• #4,575
It's Friday so I've had quite a few beers tonight. You'll find me unbearably dumb right now. I ponder things that are retarded to the sober. I currently have a possibly false sense of security in random thoughts, wondering what's ok to say. A thread title with this post content would be snuffed out quickly here in General Discussions.

I wonder why members can't question pseudo science 'brain farts' in the safety of off topic. Debunking brain farts can only be a good thing. Some of those threads are people reaching out to the great minds here. As weird as their threads are, they might be asking for psychological assistance anonymously. Possibly mentally vulnerable? My ex's uncle was in special school as an autistic, yet now runs a multi million £ business in IT.

Maybe add a sub forum for General Discussions were 'off' threads can be moved to instead of deleted (brain fart forum)? Debunking pseudo science sets the disillusioned on a way forward. You maybe pruning out those on the spectrum by stomping out their irregular thoughts.

Harsh, but maybe a necessary evil?

Have a great weekend.

• #4,576
skyshrimp said:
(brain fart forum)?
Why not?

Likes skyshrimp
  • #4,577
skyshrimp said:
Maybe add a sub forum for General Discussions were 'off' threads can be moved to instead of deleted (brain fart forum)? Debunking pseudo science sets the disillusioned on a way forward. You maybe pruning out those on the spectrum by stomping out their irregular thoughts.
That's not what we intend to do.
  1. We want to avoid to give nonsense any platform here.
  2. There are enough places on the internet for nonsense of all kind.
  3. It is a waste of time, even to read them, let alone to answer it.
  4. We teach, we do not deal with nonsense. It is simply not doable.
  5. Crackpots cannot be convinced, so it is futile to even try.

• #4,578
skyshrimp said:
Debunking brain farts can only be a good thing.
Regardless of the amount of deodorant it still stinks and spreads.

• #4,579
I love this site the way it is. I was just entertaining the random thought of a sub forum for the unenlightened so they don't feel shut out and lost completely :biggrin:

There will be batches of flat earthers there too (shudders).

Maybe not...

cAFOwQ3.gif

nuke-it-from-orbit-gif-4.gif

Attachments

• cAFOwQ3.gif
    cAFOwQ3.gif
    857.3 KB · Views: 336
  • nuke-it-from-orbit-gif-4.gif
    nuke-it-from-orbit-gif-4.gif
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,081
  • #4,580
As in nuke my sub forum idea

'I can confirm that beer nukes brain cells too' - skyshrimp

• #4,581
skyshrimp said:
There will be batches of flat earthers there too (shudders).
I gather that the collective noun for gnu is an "implausibility of gnu". I think that would work for flat earthers, too. Or a scourge of mosquitos. That works too.

Likes Klystron
  • #4,582
What is gnu?

• #4,583
Just type it into Gnoogle.

Likes TachyonLord
  • #4,584
skyshrimp said:
What is gnu?
Not Unix.

Likes Ibix
  • #4,585
WWGD said:
Not Unix.
Weird expression " Britophiliac" instead of "Anglophile". Maybe Nonsence ( Sorry, I don't get the c/s swap thing too well)?