What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #4,621
Klystron said:
Let's gather examples to refine the definition.
  1. Computer science is the twisted child of Physics and Mathematics.
2. One that is the issue of another.

Likes Klystron
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,622
fresh_42 said:
I don't see a problem here. 13% of the city's population is Jewish and Hanukkah is over!
Did you move to Manhattan?

• #4,623
WWGD said:
Sorry fresheimer/freshmeister, yet again did not get your point.

• #4,624
WWGD said:
Well, in a way, but this is another story.
WWGD said:
Sorry fresheimer/freshmeister, yet again did not get your point.
I just thought with over a million Jews in town who currently have no holidays there shouldn't be a problem with locations that are open.

• #4,625
My ancient but active great-grandmother was proud of her language (and engineering!) skills. Asked if her gender or strong accent affected her job prospects, she would answer,

"Achk-sint? Vhat achsint, Dahlink?" (sotto voce "Vas hass Du gizack?" *)* literally "What's that you say?"

Last edited:
  • #4,626
Some nice (somewhat) recent lyrics "She says she she don't believe in God , but her shoes is Christian*"

*Dior. "Might Not , by Weeknd"

Likes Klystron
  • #4,627
Second 1st world problem after not finding a place open to hangout in Christmas: the i's I write are often capitalized, since I guess OS assumes they are the pronoun "I". So I see, e.g., I.e , instead of i.e., or I+3 instead of i+3. The Humanity! BTW, whatever happened to that thread, " First World Problems"?

• #4,630
EDIT: File under "Who gives a #$%^"
Phrase of the (my)week: " Thank you for your Kindness". I had heard it way back, but then had not for years. Then I heard it 4 times last week and not again this week (yet?), strangely for holding the door open for someone once and thre times overheard from others. The word of the(my) week is "Heretic". I have heard it and looked it up many times, and then gone on quickly to forget it ( other than having a vague idea of what it is).

• #4,631
Heretic is highly context sensitive!

• #4,632
fresh_42 said:
Is he, really? ;).( No, I am not _that_ lost).
fresh_42 said:
But still, as it is a word, it must have a generalized meaning to it, right?

• #4,633
WWGD said:
Is he, really? ;).( No, I am not _that_ lost).

If you want to test its meaning here, then go to the astronomy forum and start a thread: "I have a proof that the Earth is a flat disk!"
A couple of centuries earlier, it was sufficient to be a Christian fundamentalist and the disk remark wouldn't have anybody bothered.

• #4,634
fresh_42 said:
If you want to test its meaning here, then go to the astronomy forum and start a thread: "I have a proof that the Earth is a flat disk!"
A couple of centuries earlier, it was sufficient to be a Christian fundamentalist and the disk remark wouldn't have anybody bothered.
Yes. What annoys me is to not have excuses to not look it up. Nowadays, with the web, you can search anything and only reason not to is laziness. .

• #4,635
WWGD said:
[snip]

I prefer iconoclast. Idol breaker.
Heretic requires a foil, a standard doctrine that can be modified into heresy.
Iconoclast spots a malformed icon knows it's time to clast.

Likes BillTre and WWGD
  • #4,636
Klystron said:
I prefer iconoclast. Idol breaker.
Heretic requires a foil, a standard doctrine that can be modified into heresy.
Iconoclast spots a malformed icon knows it's time to clast.
Thanks. Clast-away? Clast-on ( But then we need Clast off)?

Likes Klystron
  • #4,637
To be honest. I have exactly the same problem with this word: a slight idea what it means and something in mind what it once meant. Me, too, looks it up to be sure. And I learned that it came from a Christian sekt in the 11th century which was even for other Christians too extreme. But its meaning evolved soon and the origin was soon forgotten, too. My (wrong) memory thought it meant early Christians from the Roman or Jewish point of view, but it origoinated a thousand years later.

• #4,638
WWGD said:
Wlison?

Likes WWGD and Klystron
  • #4,639
fresh_42 said:
Wlison?

"Clast-away into the C".

Likes WWGD
  • #4,640
Klystron said:
"Clast-away into the C".
And then transpose Fresheimer's 2nd and 3rd letters ;).

• #4,641
fresh_42 said:
To be honest. I have exactly the same problem with this word: a slight idea what it means and something in mind what it once meant. Me, too, looks it up to be sure..
It has been one of my holy grails to understand why some things just do not stick in my mind while otehrs are absorbed almost immediately ( and, of course, the mid-range or in-between). But this seems too ambitious.

• #4,642
fresh_42 said:
To be honest. I have exactly the same problem with this word: a slight idea what it means and something in mind what it once meant. Me, too, looks it up to be sure. And I learned that it came from a Christian sekt in the 11th century which was even for other Christians too extreme. But its meaning evolved soon and the origin was soon forgotten, too. My (wrong) memory thought it meant early Christians from the Roman or Jewish point of view, but it origoinated a thousand years later.

Those categories are not exclusive. I've read different definitions with connotations that suit the author. Kindest def:

Sabbath breaker: some sects and dispersed groups required holy days of repose. Trusted members and family broke these rules to defend their people on holy days. Early security, perhaps. Like Roman lictors; ready to strike but according to doctrine.

• #4,643
WWGD said:
It has been one of my holy grails to understand why some things just do not stick in my mind while others are absorbed almost immediately ( and, of course, the mid-range or in-between). But this seems too ambitious.
Out of all those information which are absorbed immediately is a tremendous amount of the category: completely useless. That's the actual annoying aspect. E.g. yesterday I was told: "Did you know that <insert a celebrity of your choice> is gay?" No, I did not, and for sure it doesn't bother me, and I definitely didn't want to know. I don't even like him. Nevertheless, there is no chance to forget it again.

Likes Klystron
  • #4,644
fresh_42 said:
Out of all those information which are absorbed immediately is a tremendous amount of the category: completely useless. That's the actual annoying aspect. E.g. yesterday I was told: "Did you know that <insert a celebrity of your choice> is gay?" No, I did not, and for sure it doesn't bother me, and I definitely didn't want to know. I don't even like him. Nevertheless, there is no chance to forget it again.
Yes, I have plenty of useless trash. I remembered some 15 different Starbucks bathroom codes for a pretty long time. And I didn't know <...> was gay, but I suspected it ( Not that there is anything wrong with that, right, Jerry?)...

• #4,645
Heretic => Iconoclast ==> Rebel

proofiness:
  1. The film "Rebel Without a Cause" starred young gay actors (see above).
  2. rebel spelled backwards is "leber" which (almost) sounds like leper.

Last edited:
  • #4,646
WWGD said:
"Clast on, clast off, grasshopper"

<waves hands like falling rocks>

Likes WWGD and Klystron
  • #4,647
Ibix said:

Actually the lights went on and off . Maybe we can install one for when people clap at the opera.

Likes Klystron
  • #4,648
Ibix said:

I don't know why, but after reading this I went to wash my car . And I don't even have one!

Likes Ibix and Klystron
  • #4,649
I am trying to learn phrases in another language, but not the usual, boring ones.

How can I say:" I am not afraid of clowns anymore" ,
or " I can logon to the network but it will not give me internet access"
or " Yesterday's meat must have been spoiled".

in, Say, Hindi, Russian, Nepali.

• #4,650
Ja bol'she ne boyus' klounov for the first thing in Russian.
я больше не боюсь клоунов

Likes WWGD
  • #4,651
nuuskur said:
Ja bol'she ne boyus' klounov for the first thing in Russian.
я больше не боюсь клоунов
Spasiba , Tovarich.

• #4,652
Will say it at random, ptetendingtobealking on the phone when I see Russians around.

• #4,653
WWGD said:
Will say it at random, ptetendingtobealking on the phone when I see Russians around.
Just through in a few дура(к)'s from time to time! :biggrin:

• #4,654
fresh_42 said:
Just through in a few дура(к)'s from time to time! :biggrin:
Klown on, Klownov, Herr Miyagi.

Likes nuuskur and Klystron
  • #4,655
I listened to music by this new group ( maybe a groupoid?) and felt the need to listen to it every time there after.But then after the third or so song, each time, the music felt unbeaable and ii turned it off. At least I am making Google/YouTube nearest neighbor work .