What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #4,586
WWGD said:
Not Unix.
I've Hurd about that.

Likes Klystron and WWGD
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,587
Ibix said:
I've Hurd about that.
I gnu that!

Likes Ibix
  • #4,588
Wow, when did " The Economist" start costing some $8/7 Euro/ 6 E (whatever sign for pounds)? I remember buying it for some third of that. Did they mess up and start a trade war with the UK ( And maybe tried Chixit or something)?

• #4,589
Ok, I may have been drunk when I suggested he name his new-born girl Geppetta. No lie.

• #4,590
Wow, a single avocado kept me satisfied for some 12 hrs, no need to eat anything else.
Doesn't mean I won't eat, since I am sometimes just an undisciplined pig.

• #4,591
It rained heavily here for several days and finally quit last night. This morning I saw deer everywhere on the way to work. I guess that they just hunkered down during the storm and now they're out getting something to eat.

Likes Klystron
  • #4,592
This kid will be really confused about the meaning of the word 'relax'. The kid was jittery and the mom shouts at him at the top of her lungs "Relax!" and then slaps him. Wonder what he'll think next time someone asks him to relax.

• #4,593
WWGD said:
This kid will be really confused about the meaning of the word 'relax'. The kid was jittery and the mom shouts at him at the top of her lungs "Relax!" and then slaps him. Wonder what he'll think next time someone asks him to relax.
relax (v.)
late 14c., "to make (something) less compact or dense," from Old French relaschier "set free; soften; reduce" (14c.), from Latin relaxare "relax, loosen, open, stretch out, widen again; make loose,"

No doubt: relax = blow up.

• #4,594
At the Naval Academy, they have equations for a Happiness Factor and GAS factor (acronym definition redacted). The Happiness Factor is the number of days of vacation divided by the number of days until vacation. The GAS factor is the inverse of the Happiness Factor. The critical value of each is 1.

Tomorrow is my last day of work until 2019.

This informs to my current mood.

Likes Klystron
  • #4,595
Parsing English:
It's better than drinking a loan.
Your company must have excellent liquidity!

Likes Klystron
  • #4,596
I am always bothered by the phrase : " I would like to be alone together". It is confusing. But I can't think of a reasonable way of making it more clear.

• #4,597
WWGD said:
I am always bothered by the phrase : " I would like to be alone together". It is confusing. But I can't think of a reasonable way of making it more clear.

If I understand correctly that 'together' refers to a significant other, then I'd wax poetical

"You shatter my solitude".

• #4,598
Klystron said:
If I understand correctly that 'together' refers to a significant other, then I'd wax poetical

"You shatter my solitude".
She ultimately preferred to be alone alone. So I am out.Now I have to drink a loan. Or, reversely, like Heart sang : " How do I get you a loan". Or Pink Floyd: " Give these kids a loan" (Apparently teachers loan money in the UK -- talk about anarchy)..

Likes Klystron
  • #4,599
Wonder if anyone drinks hot beer in Winter. I always wondered how these seasonal businesses made it. The Soup stores, the Ice Cream places, Jamba Juice, selling ice-cold fruit shakes. And then ice cold beer in Winter.

• #4,600
Sauna is very popular here. Cold beer after a steam bath is one way to do it. It's not a niche business, either, quite the tradition, actually. Many would say serving warm beer is a crime :oldbiggrin:

• #4,601
nuuskur said:
Many would say serving warm beer is a crime
:thumbup:
Indeed! Same as well done steaks.

• #4,602
fresh_42 said:
:thumbup:
Indeed! Same as well done steaks.
Well -done steaks won't make you freeze over when you go outside. But I agree with the steak thing.

• #4,603
I have developed this strange, intense, fascination with seeing how coffee blends into hot milk, "drawing" into it, turning it from white into a nice, warm, brown tone.

• #4,604
Just glimpsed a strange kind of humor. I've seen (on tv) a sticker on an instrument in SOFIA. The project is a collaboration of the US and Germany, and the sticker read: "This instrument is kraut-funded"...

• #4,605
My phone died when I was out, so I entertained myself by solving by one of either the father, mother or child:

Look at the child and the mom and "solve" for the father by trying to figure out what he must look like to combine with mom to produce the child.

Do the same for mom and the child.

• #4,606
WWGD said:
Wonder if anyone drinks hot beer in Winter.
Not really hot, but ...

71OgFYP0e4L._SY355_.jpg

... usually only found in barbarian Bavaria.

Attachments

• 71OgFYP0e4L._SY355_.jpg
    71OgFYP0e4L._SY355_.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 530
  • #4,607
fresh_42 said:
Not really hot, but ...

View attachment 236177

... usually only found in barbarian Bavaria.
Do you know any Bar barbar Bavar with warm beer?

Likes Klystron
  • #4,608
Is there a definition for "kid"?

I mean, when I was 10, kids have been all up to 9. When I was 20, kids were at most 16, and when I was 30, 20 year old have been still kids. Meanwhile it reached 25 and appears to be stable so far.

• #4,609
fresh_42 said:

I mean, when I was 10, kids have been all up to 9. When I was 20, kids were at most 16, and when I was 30, 20 year old have been still kids. Meanwhile it reached 25 and appears to be stable so far.
I know they have language academies in some countries --Spain is the only one I know, but I think France also has one -- where they actually discuss issues of this sort and arrive at an answer. Wonder if it is a paid post: go to Starbucks and duck it utuntil the espresso runs out or until someone forces themselves on all others...

• #4,610
fresh_42 said:

Sounds like a relative term. Younger than you.

• #4,611
is "child" a well-defined object?

Likes Klystron
  • #4,613
nuuskur said:
Many would say serving warm beer is a crime
An exception to that rule would be Guiness Beer, but only the stuff bottled in Ireland.
Even if brewed there, shipped in bulk, and bottled in the USA, it just doesn't work. :oldruck:

• #4,614
Tom.G said:
An exception to that rule would be Guiness Beer, but only the stuff bottled in Ireland.
Even if brewed there, shipped in bulk, and bottled in the USA, it just doesn't work. :oldruck:

Worked with a Turkish scientist who said the same. She drank Guinness stout like I drank tea.

• #4,615
Klystron said:
She drank Guinness stout like I drank tea.
Boiled, with milk and two sugars?

• #4,616
Ibix said:
Boiled, with milk and two sugars?
Ugh! I prepare tea with water (hopefully) just below boiling, coaxing flavor from the tea leaves. Unless you refer to boiling Guinness with milk and sugar? Double-ugh or the next taste sensation?

• #4,617
Klystron said:
Unless you refer to boiling Guinness with milk and sugar? Double-ugh or the next taste sensation?
I'd go with double-ugh, but you said she drank Guinness like you drank tea so I guessed how she drank it. Thanks for your clarification. Nearly boiling Guiness sounds better than with milk and sugar, but it seems like the alcohol would be long gone either way.

Likes Klystron
  • #4,618
I repeatedly complained in this forum that it was a painnot to know what was open not on Christmas Eve, and no one has done anything about it!

• #4,619
WWGD said:
I repeatedly complained in this forum that it was a painnot to know what was open not on Christmas Eve, and no one has done anything about it!
I don't see a problem here. 13% of the city's population is Jewish and Hanukkah is over!

• #4,620
nuuskur said:
is "child" a well-defined object?

Let's gather examples to refine the definition.
  1. Computer science is the twisted child of Physics and Mathematics.