What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #6,196
fresh_42 said:
May I ask for the city?
I don't own the city, other wise I'd give it to you.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #6,197
fresh_42 said:
May I ask for the city?
Lethbridge , Alberta. Are you considering suing?

• #6,198
WWGD said:
Lethbridge , Alberta. Are you considering suing?
No. I considered another case, but it's hard to gather evidence and witness reports from far. And I'm no lawyer, so I don't actually know how to proceed.

• #6,199
WWGD said:
Lethbridge , Alberta.
Sounds like the middle of nowhere. Guess there wasn't much else to do.

• #6,200
fresh_42 said:
No. I considered another case, but it's hard to gather evidence and witness reports from far. And I'm no lawyer, so I don't actually know how to proceed.
Maybe you can ask Tiberius.

• #6,201
Hmm. It seems some of the old Indiana Jones movies are streaming on Netflix. I might just re-watch one of them tonight.

I keep getting reminded of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom with Facebook's new care emoji:

Facebook-care-emoji.jpg

Kali-Ma!

Kali-Ma!

• #6,202
fresh_42 said:
Whom did you want to write anus?
Reminds me of a speech Queen Elizabeth II gave a few years ago broadcast on BBC and Newshour. To emphasize the serious nature of her comments she reverted to Latin. In a shrill British accent her majesty intoned:

"This horrible year, truly my annus horribilis!"

I literally spewed my seltzer water across the table on to the remote control.

"What did she just say?", wiping furiously.

With her strong accent her Latin sounded like horrible anus. Stifled laughter can be heard in the background. I think she meant to say, "anno meum horribile".

Likes WWGD
  • #6,203
Don't know if it was a joke or made-up but this guy told me that, while at the hospital recently, he asked the doctor: What happens when we die? Doctor replied: " We clean the bed and give it to another patient". Interesting bedside manners.

Last edited:
Likes Klystron and Keith_McClary
  • #6,204
Looking for a replacement battery for my hp. Seems absurd how they have thousands of models for their hp laptops. And battery codes are some 40+ terms alphanumerics.

• #6,205
WWGD said:
Looking for a replacement battery for my hp. Seems absurd how they have thousands of models for their hp laptops. And battery codes are some 40+ terms alphanumerics.
The costs for the battery are probably half the costs of a new laptap.

• Informative
Likes Klystron
  • #6,206
fresh_42 said:
Not quite. Some sell for $30-$50 each.

• #6,207
I once looked for a replacement and they called $150, but that was 15 years ago or so.

• #6,208
fresh_42 said:
I once looked for a replacement and they called $150, but that was 15 years ago or so.
If I had more $ , I would pay that to avoid the hassle of looking through 1000s of model+ alphanumeric strings with some 60 characters.

• #6,209
fresh_42 said:
An IT friend told me discount HP color inkjet printers cost about the same as ink replacement cartridges. When they exhaust the ink, they trade the used printer to a second-hand store for credit on cables, batteries, paper and other supplies. They buy a new printer from Walmart that also figures in their taxes as a business expense.

I checked the local store they use. New printers cost ~$30 USD. Replacement HP ink cartridges cost $45 USD. Perhaps the latter cartridges have more capacity (?) but the $40 wireless color printer I bought came with inkjet paper and latest HP software; also copies, sends and receives faxes and prints for every wireless device in my home office including laptop, TV, phone and digital cameras. Have yet to use up the ink.

Likes Jonathan Scott
  • #6,210
Klystron said:
An IT friend told me discount HP color inkjet printers cost about the same as ink replacement cartridges. When they exhaust the ink, they trade the used printer to a second-hand store for credit on cables, batteries, paper and other supplies. They buy a new printer from Walmart that also figures in their taxes as a business expense.

I checked the local store they use. New printers cost ~$30 USD. Replacement HP ink cartridges cost $45 USD. Perhaps the latter cartridges have more capacity (?) but the $40 wireless color printer I bought came with inkjet paper and latest HP software; also copies, sends and receives faxes and prints for every wireless device in my home office including laptop, TV, phone and digital cameras. Have yet to use up the ink.
Ink may end up drying up unless it includes some special ingredient. I would call my ink company Ink Inc, ( Wink!).

• Haha
Likes Klystron
  • #6,211
WWGD said:
Ink may end up drying up unless it includes some special ingredient. I would call my ink company Ink Inc, ( Wink!).
That sort of reminds me of Valve Corporation, but for the opposite reason.

For those who don't know, Valve Corporation is the software company that created/owns Steam (a place where many/most PC users get their games these days). They also created Half Life series, Portal series, Counter-Strike, Left-4-Dead, and other games.

Anyway, the official name of the company is "Valve Corporation." But it's not a corporation. "Corporation" is just part of the company's name. The company is actually a privately owned L.L.C.

Likes BillTre
  • #6,212
collinsmark said:
That sort of reminds me of Valve Corporation, but for the opposite reason.

For those who don't know, Valve Corporation is the software company that created/owns Steam (a place where many/most PC users get their games these days). They also created Half Life series, Portal series, Counter-Strike, Left-4-Dead, and other games.

Anyway, the official name of the company is "Valve Corporation." But it's not a corporation. "Corporation" is just part of the company's name. The company is actually a privately owned L.L.C.
I heard of this company that named itself ' Going out of Business' and so they have 'Going out of Business ' sales. Seriously.

• #6,213
I always found this one puzzling:

"Where are you?"
"Waiting for the bus".
"Ik, hurry up then".

• #6,214
Never trust a lawyer that accepts coupons or talks about half-a-davids ( Affidavits).

• #6,215
Evo said:
YAY! I went to the grocery store yesterday (don't tell my daughter). I found toilet paper, paper towels, flour, rubbing alcohol, BUT that had been relabeled as HAND SANITIZER and a 98 cent bottle was selling for $8! It was just plain rubbing alcohol, nothing else, just a different label! That PISSED ME OFF. But I bought it, it was all they had. :( I may go after them for price gouging. Nice to see the shelves stocked again.
My oh my, shopping has been spotty at best. Metro Detroit has been hit hard and people still have a hoarding mentality. I just wanted to pop in and say hi. Hi 😆

Likes Borg and Evo
  • #6,216
hypatia said:
My oh my, shopping has been spotty at best. Metro Detroit has been hit hard and people still have a hoarding mentality. I just wanted to pop in and say hi. Hi 😆
Welcome back! You are sorely missed!

• #6,217
A certain politician decided to " Cut all homeless people in half by 2025". Let's hope he doesn't.

• #6,218
This has got to be the worst mnemonic I've ever seen
1589298541840.png

This is known as triple product expansion... Its right hand side can be remembered by using the mnemonic "ACB − ABC", provided one keeps in mind which vectors are dotted together

Well thanks for that, Wikipedia.

• Haha
Likes collinsmark
  • #6,219
I have two chain and three cochain complexes, I even calculated the first three homology modules of each. Is there a mathematical journal for this?

• #6,220
fresh_42 said:
I have two chain and three cochain complexes, I even calculated the first three homology modules of each. Is there a mathematical journal for this?
Do papers on abstract nonsense have nonsensical abstracts?

• #6,221
fresh_42 said:
The journal for Mathematicians with clean ( meaning chalk-free) pants. What it takes a Classical Mathematician two chalkboards takes a modern one a quarter of one with a bunch of arrows and diagrams.

• #6,222
WWGD said:
The journal for Mathematicians with clean ( meaning chalk-free) pants. What it takes a Classical Mathematician two chalkboards takes a modern one a quarter of one with a bunch of arrows and diagrams.
I had a professor who started to write at the most left edge of the big boards at university with his left hand until he came to the center where he changed hands and continued writing to the most right edge with his right ...

It was almost impossible to script the lectures.

Likes Klystron
  • #6,223
fresh_42 said:
I had a professor who started to write at the most left edge of the big boards at university with his left hand until he came to the center where he changed hands and continued writing to the most right edge with his right ...

It was almost impossible to script the lectures.
I had one that was scary. Once, after writing a full blackboard and erasing it, a student told him she had missed something. The prof wrote the notes again identically on the blackboard.

• #6,224
WWGD said:
I had one that was scary. Once, after writing a full blackboard and erasing it, a student told him she had missed something. The prof wrote the notes again identically on the blackboard.
Students of von Neumann coined the term: "proof by von Neumann" because he was so fast, that he had to start wiping before the students had a chance to write it down.

Likes Klystron
  • #6,225
etotheipi said:
mnemonic
Good place for a [citation needed].

• #6,226
Today, I'm making 2lbs of Chinese pork dumplings.

I'll eat a load and freeze the rest nom nom.

• #6,227
skyshrimp said:
Today, I'm making 2lbs of Chinese pork dumplings.

I'll eat a load and freeze the rest nom nom.
I never developed my skills beyond the very basic: eggs, rice, sauteeing. Too much good stuff out there that is reasonably-priced and tastier than I can reasonably can cook for myself.

• #6,228
WWGD said:
I never developed my skills beyond the very basic: eggs, rice, sauteeing. Too much good stuff out there that is reasonably-priced and tastier than I can reasonably can cook for myself.
There is always the 2-step-emergency-plan;
1.) If in doubt, add bacon.
2.) If still in doubt, cover it with cheese and bake it.

• #6,229
fresh_42 said:
There is always the 2-step-emergency-plan;
1.) If in doubt, add bacon.
2.) If still in doubt, cover it with cheese and bake it.
Bacon makes everything better. Now they even have it with chocolate. Notice no bacon-eating competitions. People would never stop eating.

• #6,230
WWGD said:
Now they even have it with chocolate.

?:)