What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #6,231
etotheipi said:
?:)
I didn't think it was that bad. Still, a waste of sacred bacon.

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #6,232
Still waiting to see whether NK's Kim Jong Un is dead or alive.

• #6,233
Idiot sitting right ne t to me in park when there are plenty of empty benches within short distance.

• #6,234
I want to grow my own food but I can’t find bacon seeds.

• Sad
Likes WWGD and Keith_McClary
  • #6,235
gmax137 said:
I want to grow my own food but I can’t find bacon seeds.
They are easier to find in Germany. They are hidden in our walls:
1589926983215.png

• Love
Likes nuuskur
  • #6,236
Too bad we don't have a playground forum. I have found a machine which eats the simplest of all non trivial Lie algebras and spits out the gauge groups of the standard model.

• #6,237
Ended up exhausted on a duscussion on whether 1=0.999... in the Surreals , Hyperreals and other models. I'm pretty far from having a full understanding of the topic.

• #6,238
WWGD said:
Ended up exhausted on a discussion on whether 1=0.999... in the Surreals , Hyperreals and other models. I'm pretty far from having a full understanding of the topic.
It is a crackpot discussion. There is no ambiguity as soon as notation has been properly defined. It's a debate for hobby calculators.

I just found this - looks a bit like the Scottish west coast:

middle_math.jpg

Likes Borg, etotheipi, DrGreg and 1 other person
  • #6,239
fresh_42 said:
It is a crackpot discussion. There is no ambiguity as soon as notation has been properly defined. It's a debate for hobby calculators.

View attachment 263255
No, there are actual issues if you work with Hyperreals or Surreals without the Archimedean property. True that it is settled within the standard Reals.

• #6,240
Seems kind of strange these people who describe themselves as _passionate_ something: Chess players, Mathematicians, etc. Is this a separate sexual thing or do they have " feelings" towards these activities, etc?

• #6,241
fresh_42 said:

View attachment 263255
You know how maps like that in fantasy novels never look quite plausible? I strongly suspected I'd enjoy Juliet E McKenna's books the instant I picked one up, because the maps of her continents had long narrow triangular cutouts, so you could have cut them out and constructed a partial sphere (or polyhedral approximation to one, anyway).

This version seems to have the maps crossing the cutouts, but the version in the books doesn't.

• #6,242
WWGD said:
Seems kind of strange these people who describe themselves as _passionate_ something: Chess players, Mathematicians, etc. Is this a separate sexual thing or do they have " feelings" towards these activities, etc?

I'm passionate about partial fraction decompositions

• Wow
Likes collinsmark, WWGD and BillTre
  • #6,243
etotheipi said:
I'm passionate about partial fraction decompositions
No details, please, unless you're a gorgeous woman.

• Haha
Likes etotheipi
  • #6,244
WWGD said:
No details, please, unless [...].
Reminds me of this

20130402.gif

(Source: https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2013-04-02)

[Edit: click the source link for a more readable version of the comic that avoids PF's auto-resizing.]

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
  • #6,245
The sentences that finally put a nail in the coffin on doubts about the usefulness of commas. " How do you know Einstein* ? "Me: I never said I knew Einstein .

*Instead of " How do you know, Einstein?"

• #6,248
WWGD said:
Aftermath=? After Math=...? Good luck!
Just hopeing I'll still have some math skills in the after math. Thanks for the "good luck"

Likes Klystron, ProfuselyQuarky, fresh_42 and 1 other person
  • #6,250
Ibix said:
You, I take it? I hope you're on the mend. Those staple things are amazing - they come out and barely leave a mark.
They're coming out this coming Monday

Likes WWGD, ProfuselyQuarky and Ibix
  • #6,251
Undergrad logic: non-constructive proof, instructor (I) can't give counter-examples to false claims in proof, therefore proof is correct. :oldgrumpy:

• #6,252
Given it is made in China, it works astonishingly long.

• #6,253
Staples are out and I'm feeling great!

Likes WWGD, Klystron, BillTre and 2 others
  • #6,254
I had BBQ ribs, fries and sweet pickled tomatoes for lunch.

I think I'll order Chinese for dinner. I'll get the House Special chow mein, the spicy king prawns and a pancake roll.

• #6,255
I have a new metal in my collection; titanium. Except it's in my head, not a jar.

• #6,256
I was told that my neighbor killed a big black-snake trying to get his baby chicks. I cried since I've caught a large one every summer for years; thinking it was my pet he killed. But I heard this sound in my chicken coop and low and behold MY Snake!
IMG_3248.JPG

This big boy is 2 meters+ in length.

• Wow
Likes atyy, nuuskur and BillTre
  • #6,257
I thought this was mildly interesting to look at :wink:

1591486472312.png

Likes WWGD, nuuskur and Ibix
  • #6,258
"bi" means "two/twice"
"semi" means "half"
Why are biannual and semiannual synonyms in English?

• #6,259
mfb said:
"bi" means "two/twice"
"semi" means "half"
Because we have "biennial" to mean "once every two years", and we wouldn't want to confuse anything.

• #6,260
mfb said:
Why does "flammable" mean the same thing as "inflammable"?

Likes Klystron
  • #6,261
DrGreg said:
Aren't there serious efforts to deprecate "inflammable" and just use "flammable" and "non-flammable", because this is a genuine safety issue?

• #6,262
Ibix said:
Aren't there serious efforts to deprecate "inflammable" and just use "flammable" and "non-flammable", because this is a genuine safety issue?
From TIL:
hmmm27 said:
army : "say again", because "repeat" is an artillery command.
Do they say "conflagration" in the army?

• Haha
Likes Klystron
  • #6,263
Keith_McClary said:
From TIL:
Do they say "conflagration" in the army?
I imagine they do. Probably not so much over the radio in combat, which was what I was referring to.

Last edited:
  • #6,264
DrGreg said:
Both are used...irregardless.

• Haha
Likes hutchphd and Keith_McClary
  • #6,265
Supposedly, thinking is calorie-intensive. Wonder if you could lose weight by eating the same amount of calories ( holding all else constant) and thinking more.