What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #6,861
WWGD said:
What part are you skeptical about, Keith?
Here, the specials tend to be less healthy and nutritious.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #6,862
Keith_McClary said:
Here, the specials tend to be less healthy and nutritious.
Could be. I select the ones that are reasonably healthy, not just any one. But valid point. They may not be the best, but hardly the Wurst ;).

• #6,863
Physics exams are so rude, it's always "calculate this" or "show that" and never "please calculate this" or "please show that". From now on I refuse to do a question if it does not ask nicely.

• Haha
Likes WWGD and Ibix
  • #6,864
etotheipi said:
Physics exams are so rude, it's always "calculate this" or "show that" and never "please calculate this" or "please show that". From now on I refuse to do a question if it does not ask nicely.
Even worse: they talk about quantum mechanics. Ever seen a quantum car? What do these mechanics repair?

• #6,865
Always thought it would be interesting if one of these late night interview shows decided to interview random everyday people, instead of celebrities. Like Joe the plumber.

• #6,866
WWGD said:
Even worse: they talk about quantum mechanics. Ever seen a quantum car? What do these mechanics repair?
I always feel uncertain about my quantum mechanic's estimates.

Likes BillTre, WWGD and Keith_McClary
  • #6,867
DrGreg said:
I always feel uncertain about my quantum mechanic's estimates.
Just don't let your cat hang out in your shop . You will never know if it's dead or alive ( pushing it to its limits; probably way beyond).

• #6,868
I did not accept the invitation of the Stoic Philosophy group to join them. They didn't seem to care much; " That's Life", but cared more than the Nihilists.

• #6,869
I intend to join the Procrastination Society one day.

• Haha
Likes BillTre
  • #6,870
DrGreg said:
I intend to join the Procrastination Society one day.
I thought about it. But I think I will do it on Monday.

• #6,871
fresh_42 said:
I thought about it. But I think I will do it on Monday.
Careful: if the secretary ( nor anyone ) else is there, it may not ring.

• #6,872
WWGD said:
Careful: if the secretary ( nor anyone ) else is there, it may not ring.
(Recycling) The ASPCA * Quantum group cannot tell if its cat died or not. They lost the keys to the room where the cat lives. Edit: The representative for the Godel chair called his cat "My Dog" and his dog " My Cat" . Therefore he claims " My cat is My Dog and My Dog is my cat".

*Society for protection of animals.

Last edited:
  • #6,873
WWGD said:
(Recycling) The ASPCA * Quantum group cannot tell if its cat died or not. They lost the keys to the room where the cat lives. Edit: The representative for the Godel chair called his cat "My Dog" and his dog " My Cat" . Therefore he claims " My cat is My Dog and My Dog is my cat".

*Society for protection of animals.
It is with a probability of 90% still alive:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/math-challenge-august-2020.991944/#post-6374281

• #6,875
WWGD said:
Can't reply. I used up the 3 things I know about philosophy .
The story of the stoics has to be rewritten anyway. I just checked the origin of hemp. They found 5,500 years old traces in Germany, so the ancient Greeks definitely had it, since it originated from the steppes in Central Asia. That explains the entire school.

Likes Klystron
  • #6,876
fresh_42 said:
The story of the stoics has to be rewritten anyway. I just checked the origin of hemp. They found 5,500 years old traces in Germany, so the ancient Greeks definitely had it, since it originated from the steppes in Central Asia. That explains the entire school.
Not sure I get the connection.

• #6,877
WWGD said:
Not sure I get the connection.
Lethargy (stoicism) is one of the symptoms of weed consumption.

• #6,878
fresh_42 said:
Lethargy (stoicism) is one of the symptoms of weed consumption.
Ah. How about cravings for Cheetos and other snacks, a supposed side effect as well? I am a practicioner of that school. I just gave myself cravings just by posting this. Will go get (Stoic) chips and will be back.

• #6,879
Many countries now legalizing consumption of weed. Maybe we will see a raise in the proportion of Stoics. And consumption of chips.

• #6,880
They sold a Dollar from 1794 today. For $840.000. However, a dollar in 1794 is worth only $24.08 today. Now was this the greatest investment of all time or evidence in a case of fraud?

• #6,881
fresh_42 said:
They sold a Dollar from 1794 today. For $840.000. However, a dollar in 1794 is worth only $24.08 today. Now was this the greatest investment of all time or evidence in a case of fraud?
Maybe it was a rare coin/bill?

• #6,882
I keep , some how, getting questions about closure of operations. So I was asked again if polynomials are closed under operations. Yes, for finite case. I use Taylor series of ##e^x## to show lack of closure under limits. But then they ask me how to prove ##e^x## is not a polynomial. We'll, it equals its own derivative and there is no extension under which it takes the value 0. Is there another good argument?

• #6,883
You could use its functional equation: ##f(x+y)=f(x)\cdot f(y)## which together with ##f(0)=1## determines the exponential function.

• #6,884
Or Euler's formula.

• #6,885
Or plot it! If it wasn't then NP=P wouldn't be a problem.

• #6,886
fresh_42 said:
You could use its functional equation: ##f(x+y)=f(x)\cdot f(y)## which together with ##f(0)=1## determines the exponential function uniquely.
Yes, this may show it's not a polynomial, but is this straightforward? In the complexes, we can use it's periodicity. I don't see, is it significantly easier than the other arguments?

• #6,887
omg help there's an absolute f*cking unit of a spider on my ceiling and I don't know what to do, it's really creeping me out

• #6,888
etotheipi said:
omg help there's an absolute f*cking unit of a spider on my ceiling and I don't know what to do, it's really creeping me out
Broom time?

• #6,889
I think I found the Holy frail: An effective sleep algorithm. Still, effective for only 3 days. Fingers crossed.

• #6,890
etotheipi said:
So what ultimately happened with it?

• #6,891
  • #6,892
WWGD said:
So what ultimately happened with it?
I called my mum and she drove all the way up to college to throw it out the window. Sike! I'm actually, like really, unbelievably brave and after a pretty long stare-off I captured the little miscreant all by myself ☺️

• Wow
Likes Keith_McClary and WWGD
  • #6,893
Was it a wolf spider

or funnel web spider

?

• #6,894
Keith_McClary said:
Was it a wolf spider

or funnel web spider

?

Both taste well over rice ;).