What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #6,896
WWGD said:
Talking about Eurosceptics, is Brexit finally through? It seems to have taken endlessly to be implemented.
I'm neither eurosceptic, just eurorealist (euro-reformist), but UK left the EU since February 1 last year.

Likes WWGD
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #6,897
Strange that it does not seem phone charges faster when not on. Would seem otherwise.

• #6,898
WWGD said:
Strange that it does not seem phone charges faster when not on. Would seem otherwise.
I bet they do. The question is probably which device is necessary to measure the difference, or easier, how much energy is needed to simply be on.

• #6,899
Breathtaking image released by NASA:

A penguin colony in the sand dunes at Mars's Northpole!

504716main_pia13662-full_full.jpg

• Haha
Likes dlgoff and collinsmark
  • #6,900
fresh_42 said:
I bet they do. The question is probably which device is necessary to measure the difference, or easier, how much energy is needed to simply be on.
Maybe not that much energy needed. I often start with my phone at x%. If I go out and not use it at all for an hour or so, it will often remain at x%.

Likes Ibix
  • #6,901
etotheipi said:
I called my mum and she drove all the way up to college to throw it out the window. Sike! I'm actually, like really, unbelievably brave and after a pretty long stare-off I captured the little miscreant all by myself ☺️
Apparently those really big ones you see wandering around are males out on the pull. As long as you don't look like a hot lady spider it'll ignore you.

In halls I once captured a really large spider in an empty ice cream tub. I was ready for bed when I spotted it, but I didn't want to throw it out of my ill-fitting ground floor window, so I started getting dressed again, planning to walk down to the main entrance and chuck it far away from my room. But I could hear a strange tapping noise while I was dressing. I eventually worked out that I could actually hear the spider walking around on the raised base of the ice cream tub, which was presumably acting a bit like a drum skin. I was half afraid it was going to wrestle me when I opened the lid...

I did, indeed, throw it far away from my room.

Likes etotheipi
  • #6,902
I got into an absurd discussion when someone stated, about an issue" No one knows about it. No one cares". But if no one knows about it, how can they be expected to care? It went into a bizarre, absurd exchange after that. I want thosr 10 minutes of my life back!

• #6,903
Spider in an
Ibix said:
Apparently those really big ones you see wandering around are males out on the pull. As long as you don't look like a hot lady spider it'll ignore you.

In halls I once captured a really large spider in an empty ice cream tub. I was ready for bed when I spotted it, but I didn't want to throw it out of my ill-fitting ground floor window, so I started getting dressed again, planning to walk down to the main entrance and chuck it far away from my room. But I could hear a strange tapping noise while I was dressing. I eventually worked out that I could actually hear the spider walking around on the raised base of the ice cream tub, which was presumably acting a bit like a drum skin. I was half afraid it was going to wrestle me when I opened the lid...

I did, indeed, throw it far away from my room.
Spider in an ice cream tub? They're running out of ideas for new ice cream flavors! Maybe Pralines & Spider bits?

• #6,904
WWGD said:
Spider in an ice cream tub? They're running out of ideas for new ice cream flavors! Maybe Pralines & Spider bits?
It's the spider venom that gives it the flavour.

Actually, the ice cream tub was the only thing I had to hand that was large enough to catch the thing. I'd have broken its legs if I used a glass and it moved even slightly.

Likes WWGD
  • #6,905
WWGD said:
Spider in an
I have heard from a shop here (Berlin IIRC) which offers "Döner" flavor.

• Haha
Likes dlgoff
  • #6,906
fresh_42 said:
I have heard from a shop here (Berlin IIRC) which offers "Döner" flavor.
I've heard of avocado, plantain and black bean ice cream flavors. Not desperate to try them.

• #6,907
WWGD said:
I often start with my phone at x%. If I go out and not use it at all for an hour or so, it will often remain at x%.
It's mining bitcoins.

• #6,908
I wonder why nobody ever tried to use background em to charge cellphones.

• #6,909
delighted to see that PF looks the exact same as the last time I was here. I wish I could be a meaningful presence but alas lol

Likes fresh_42
  • #6,910
fresh_42 said:
I was surprised to read you can now charge your phone remotely. So maybe sometjing along those lines.

• #6,911
ProfuselyQuarky said:
delighted to see that PF looks the exact same as the last time I was here. I wish I could be a meaningful presence but alas lol
Welcome back.

• #6,912
Keith_McClary said:
It's mining bitcoins.
It should mine it's own business. Maybe that's what is doing.

• #6,913
WWGD said:
Welcome back.
why thanks. It's like I come back annually every year, read a little, and realize there's nothing I have worth contributing so it's just a matter of time in which one slinks back into the cave of shame.

Likes WWGD
  • #6,914
To advertise himself, the clown mimed his own business.

• #6,915
I wrote a pretentious little booklet called " So am I". It is a followup to Von Neumann's " I am a Mathematician".

• #6,916
fresh_42 said:
I like the new world. {snip}Google? They only try to figure out which music I like most, desperately and in vain. If you can't convince them, confuse them.

WWGD said:
You tube has offered me just about every type of music; a few times even things I liked.
I love living in the future.

YouTube music suggestions often seemed fey. I play a favorite song. YT follows with a song supposedly based on my favorite but almost always something annoying if not disgusting. Now with Google ownership the suggested selections have become sadistic.

I enjoy "Sympathy for the Devil" by the Rolling Stones. YT/Google follows with Herman's Hermits played at Alvin and the Chipmunks speed. Not "Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter" or "Woke Up This Morning" but some clinker from the album filler.

Nostalgic for some Soviet rock, I listen to Picnic. YT/G follows with a children's choir singing Stalin's greatest folk hits. I reject the song. YT/G plays the soundtrack from the movie "Picnic".

Once I liked a YT suggestion from an artist I did not know. So, I liked the song. Now every list and mix includes songs by that artist irrespective of genre or any logic. That one like was a fluke, perhaps a deliberate parody. Every other song is in a genre I never enjoy. Refer to "Most Hated Music" thread.

• Haha
Likes WWGD and fresh_42
  • #6,917
Wow, they seem to have a problem with feral pigs in part of the world. Check this out: Shwarma for everybody, it's on me
main-qimg-651ce17da5f79906e9fb0d066b06e146.jpeg

• #6,918
WWGD said:
feral pigs in part of the world
1619474228981.png

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Map-of-predicted-population-density-of-wild-pigs-for-habitat-occurring-across-the-world_fig3_314394782​

Likes WWGD
  • #6,919
fresh_42 said:
Or plot it! If it wasn't then NP=P wouldn't be a problem.
Don't get the point here. How does NP=P relate to the exponential?

• #6,920
Re charging/"de-charging" the phone, function does not seem linear. Phone seems to charge increasingly faster, decay increasingly faster ( i.e., the lower the charge left, the faster it loses charge).

• #6,921
WWGD said:
Don't get the point here. How does NP=P relate to the exponential?
We can solve SAT in exponential time, but not in polynomial. If ##x\longmapsto e^x## was a polynomial, then ##NP=P## would be decided.

Likes WWGD
  • #6,922
fresh_42 said:
We can solve SAT in exponential time, but not in polynomial. If ##x\longmapsto e^x## was a polynomial, then ##NP=P## would be decided.
A bit more convincing than NP=P iff N=1 or P=0. ;). That was from sci.math a few years back.

• #6,923
WWGD said:
They're running out of ideas for new ice cream flavors!

• #6,924
fresh_42 said:
They have. And while it's possible in theory, you would need an impractically large charging (i.e., EM gathering) loop. Any way you look at it, there would be lots of wire involved.

• #6,925
collinsmark said:
They have. And while it's possible in theory, you would need an impractically large charging (i.e., EM gathering) loop. Any way you look at it, there would be lots of wire involved.
I heard it is possible to send power wirelessly/remotely, but I don't know the details.

• #6,926
How do you reply to someone saying " Hey, is that you?" . Yes, last I checked, I was me.

• #6,927
WWGD said:
Wow, they seem to have a problem with feral pigs in part of the world. Check this out: Shwarma for everybody, it's on meView attachment 282083
When I worked for the Kansas Animal Health Dept. There were expeditions where they took helicopters to shoot feral pigs to stop the spread of pseudorabies

• Wow
Likes WWGD and Keith_McClary
  • #6,928
dlgoff said:
When I worked for the Kansas Animal Health Dept. There were expeditions where they took helicopters to shoot feral pigs to stop the spread of pseudorabies
Is it reasonably under control? They seem at least to not have reached the cities.

• #6,930
WWGD said:
Is it reasonably under control? They seem at least to not have reached the cities.
From the testing we did, it seemed to be.