What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #7,071
What is " Uncured Ham"? Is it still sick? Should I wait until it recovers to eat it? Or is it just a political division in the UK? Brits love their ham(s)? Still, Robin Hood and the sheriff of Uncured Ham does not sound right to me. Bet the clerk in the story I mentioned would consider it " To die for".

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #7,072
186972991_10226526806182375_3227604621500708807_n.jpg

Likes Keith_McClary, BillTre, WWGD and 1 other person
  • #7,073
I can't remember the name of the hunchback of Notre Dame, but ' Quasimodo' rings a bell.

• #7,074
How do you respond to " Tschuss"? Yes, Adidas Tschuss, or " Gesundeheit"?

• #7,075
WWGD said:
Still, does this happen often enough to fall into systemic problem territory/criterion?
It is a serious matter to miss such a defect in a critical structure. There are signs of corrosion, and one has to wonder what else has been missed. An inspection should be based on the most highly stressed areas of the bridge, since that is where corrosion and fatigue are mostly likely. It is clear that the inspection program was deficient.

In fact, the Inspector who failed to catch interstate bridge crack fired, according to the AP.
https://apnews.com/article/business-205afe66ae13ef7cd945db9c48947da1

Arkansas Department of Transportation Director Lorie Tudor said the inspector was fired after drone video showed the crack on the bridge spanning the Mississippi River in May 2019. Tudor said the crack was not noted by the inspector in his reports that fall or the following year.
Arkansas’ DOT on Monday released an image and video from the drone, which showed the crack. The drone footage was taken by a consultant inspecting the bridge’s cables.

Traffic on the six-lane bridge was shut down last Tuesday after inspectors found a “significant fracture” in one of two 900-foot (274-meter) horizontal steel beams that are critical for the bridge’s integrity. River traffic under the span was closed Tuesday but reopened on Friday.

Edit/update: ARDOT Confirms Failure in Inspection Process and Vows to Increase Redundancies to Avoid Repeat Event
https://www.ardot.gov/news/21-134/
The Arkansas Department of Transportation (ARDOT) has confirmed that there was a failure in the inspection process which allowed evidence of damage to the I-40 Mississippi River Bridge to go unnoticed, according to agency officials.

“From our investigation we have determined that the same employee who conducted the inspection in both 2019 and 2020 failed to carry out his responsibilities correctly,” Director Lorie Tudor said. “This is unacceptable and this employee has been terminated as of this morning,” she continued.

The drone video that showed evidence of this fracture in May of 2019 was taken when Michael Baker International was performing an inspection of the cables and upper portion of the bridge, not the metal supports below. The Department will start changing the inspection process by adding redundancies, with further changes possible in the future.
It appears from the last paragraph that there was evidence of 'the crack' from May 2019. It's not clear to me at present, if they are saying the crack was partial or fully through the beam. If it was clear that there was a crack, then there was a complete failure in the inspection process that allowed continued operation of the bridge in that condition.

Last edited:
  • #7,076
Astronuc said:
It is a serious matter to miss such a defect in a critical structure. There are signs of corrosion, and one has to wonder what else has been missed. An inspection should be based on the most highly stressed areas of the bridge, since that is where corrosion and fatigue are mostly likely. It is clear that the inspection program was deficient.

In fact, the Inspector who failed to catch interstate bridge crack fired, according to the AP.
https://apnews.com/article/business-205afe66ae13ef7cd945db9c48947da1
Is it realistic today to have some sort of AI check the condition of different infrastructure?

• #7,077
If you are the father or mother of someone transgendered, you are (a) trans parent.
If you are invisible too, you are a transparent trans parent.

Likes Rive
  • #7,078
WWGD said:
Is it realistic today to have some sort of AI check the condition of different infrastructure?
One would need some data from calculations or predictive analysis and/or non-destructive inspection results in order to process with AI. I used to work for a company that specialized in predictive analysis for large structures, including bridges. The engineers used sophisticate finite element analysis to determined locations of peak stress under normal and off-normal conditions, and the results were used to reinforce structures. The results could be and were combined with periodic inspections which include visual (for flaws and corrosion) and techniques like ultrasonic inspection, eddy-current, radiography, magnetic particle, dye penetrant, or some combination.

An example of available technologies for steel bridges (and other structures).
https://www.bakerhughesds.com/waygate-technologies
https://www.tac-atc.ca/sites/default/files/conf_papers/elbeheri.pdf

Reinforced concrete structures require additional technologies, e.g., ground-penetrating radar.
https://www.giatecscientific.com/education/bridge-inspection-technologies/
https://www.ndt.net/article/ndtce03/papers/v001/v001.htm
WWGD said:
systemic problem territory/criterion
The American Society of Civil Engineers does an annual report card on the nation's infrastructure, and they typically rate a D (lately a C-) due to the large proportion of bridges and other critical infrastructure that are in need of repair or replacement. The article from tac-atc.ca mentions the ASCE reports and a similar report for Canada.

https://infrastructurereportcard.org/

There are more than 617,000 bridges across the United States. Currently, 42% of all bridges are at least 50 years old, and 46,154, or 7.5% of the nation’s bridges, are considered structurally deficient, meaning they are in “poor” condition. Unfortunately, 178 million trips are taken across these structurally deficient bridges every day. In recent years, though, as the average age of America’s bridges increases to 44 years, the number of structurally deficient bridges has continued to decline; however, the rate of improvements has slowed. A recent estimate for the nation’s backlog of bridge repair needs is $125 billion. We need to increase spending on bridge rehabilitation from $14.4 billion annually to $22.7 billion annually, or by 58%, if we are to improve the condition. At the current rate of investment, it will take until 2071 to make all of the repairs that are currently necessary, and the additional deterioration over the next 50 years will become overwhelming. The nation needs a systematic program for bridge preservation like that embraced by many states, whereby existing deterioration is prioritized and the focus is on preventive maintenance.
https://infrastructurereportcard.org/cat-item/bridges/

• Informative
Likes BillTre and WWGD
  • #7,079
Skyscraper Begins Swaying, Sparking Mass Panic As People Flee
https://www.newsweek.com/skyscraper-begins-swaying-sparking-mass-panic-people-flee-1592406

The 356-meter (1,167-foot) SEG Plaza skyscraper began swaying causing panic and subsequent evacuation.

Why would a building sway? Well, if not ground motion, then wind, especially if the wind increases then decreases, or if the wind blows periodically and particularly if it matches a natural frequency, which depends on the building's height and geometry, or if a steady (or periodic) wind results in vortex shedding on the backside, which also matches a natural frequency.

Appropriate damping is necessary in areas that are seismically active and windy.

• #7,080
Astronuc said:
Skyscraper Begins Swaying, Sparking Mass Panic As People Flee
https://www.newsweek.com/skyscraper-begins-swaying-sparking-mass-panic-people-flee-1592406

The 356-meter (1,167-foot) SEG Plaza skyscraper began swaying causing panic and subsequent evacuation.

Why would a building sway? Well, if not ground motion, then wind, especially if the wind increases then decreases, or if the wind blows periodically and particularly if it matches a natural frequency, which depends on the building's height and geometry, or if a steady (or periodic) wind results in vortex shedding on the backside, which also matches a natural frequency.

Appropriate damping is necessary in areas that are seismically active and windy.
Wasn't there a similar case with some bridge in Washington state a while back with a bridge? I thought they would have learned to avoid the eigenvalues.

• #7,081
WWGD said:
Wasn't there a similar case with some bridge in Washington state a while back with a bridge? I thought they would have learned to avoid the eigenvalues.
Yes, the Tacoma Narrows Suspension Bridge, which is a classic example. And yes, architects and structural engineers, should know this stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacoma_Narrows_Bridge_(1940)#Collapse

Likes WWGD
  • #7,082
WWGD said:
The Millennium Bridge, London, a pedestrian footbridge across the River Thames, started resonating on the day it opened and had to be closed for two years of remedial work.

Likes WWGD
  • #7,083
@etotheipi: Following up on sleep, something else I wonder is wether lack of sleep can be " repaired" by sleeping , say, 15 hrs in one day.

• #7,084
I'm in the minority I expect, but after thoroughly analysis, I have determined with 100% confidence that a bowl of cereal with milk IS, or should be considered to be, a form of soup.

I won't go into the details, but ALL of the counter arguments fall short.

Ultimately, it becomes a matter of whether something, which does fit the rough description of a soup, should be discluded from the category based on bias subjective reasoning. However, IF we do not categorize cereal with milk as a soup, then we are left with a type of food that has no reasonably specific higher level category. Maybe this is OK, but it goes against the idioms of complexity management in language and communication to put cereal with milk (which is not particularly novel) in a sub category of food with size 1.

Typically, categories are hierarchical. If we find a new creature, we don't just make a new isolated tree in the animal kingdom. We find where it fits into the existing hierarchical/categorical models.

For cereal, I believe it belongs in the category of cold instant soups. Hypothetically, if a suitable subcategory of soup could not be found to classify cereal with milk, then we should add one.

• Haha
Likes BillTre and Ibix
  • #7,085
Jarvis323 said:
I'm in the minority I expect, but after thoroughly analysis, I have determined with 100% confidence that a bowl of cereal with milk IS a form of soup.
This bring another interesting train of thought regarding coffee with milk as the 'sister' of tea with butter :wink:

By the way I think the difference is about the usage of salt. If it's with salt, then it's closer to soups. If it can be eaten sweet then it's... dessert o0)

Likes BillTre
  • #7,086
Rive said:
This bring another interesting train of thought regarding coffee with milk as the 'sister' of tea with butter :wink:

By the way I think the difference is about the usage of salt. If it's with salt, then it's closer to soups. If it can be eaten sweet then it's... dessert o0)
Hmm this is a good point.

I believe also it might be the case that pizza is a form of open face sandwich.

Likes BillTre
  • #7,087
Ah, the great philosophical questions: So when, if ever, does a can of beans with a light broth become a soup? Does it make a sound? ( just to throw in another philosophical question).

Last edited:
  • #7,088
Beans with water is definitely soupy. It would be hard to argue it's not a soup in my opinion. Maybe it depends on the viscosity.

Some canned chili is probably too viscous to be a soup while at room temperature.

• #7,089
I remember a power breakfast I used to make using beef soup with barley, vegetables and eggs. But brutal for summer.

• #7,090
There is a poorly defined line between soaps and stews. Just a matter of concentration.

My dog's kibble, with water thrown on, sounds like a soup from your point of view.

• #7,091
BillTre said:
There is a poorly defined line between soaps and stews. Just a matter of concentration.

My dog's kibble, with water thrown on, sounds like a soup from your point of view.
How about gravy? But I read the labels on soup : " Soup Concentrate". I concentrate but nothing changes.

Likes BillTre
  • #7,092
BillTre said:
One of the primary arguments that I've seen against milk and cereal being a soup, is that it's neither cooked nor processed together to form something more cohesive.

In the case of cereal, I say that cereal is preprocessed to react with the milk quickly. That reaction is an accelerated process, in which the cereal absorbs the liquid and is softened, while (in most cases) the flavor from the cereal is also imparted into the milk (forming a broth). So it can be seen as an instant cold soup in this regard.

I don't know if the "heating or processing" condition is necessary.

Kibble and water may coincidentally react together when mixed in a similar way as milk and cereal. Technically it may also meet that criteria, but at least with cereal it is by design.

Likes BillTre
  • #7,093
Jarvis323 said:
One of the primary arguments that I've seen against milk and cereal being a soup, is that it's neither cooked or processed together to form something more cohesive.

In the case of cereal, I say that cereal is preprocessed to react with the milk quickly. That reaction is an accelerated process, in which the cereal absorbs the liquid and is softened, while (in most cases) the flavor from the cereal is also imparted into the milk (forming a broth). So it can be seen as an instant cold soup in this regard.

I don't know if the "heating or processing" condition is necessary.

Kibble and water, may coincidentally react together when mixed in a similar way as milk and cereal. Technically it may also pass meet that criteria, but at least with cereal it is by design.
How about gravy? Or sauces of different sources? Or thick hot chocolate?

Likes BillTre
  • #7,094
WWGD said:
How about gravy? Or sauces of different sources? Or thick hot chocolate?
I can't say for sure. I've only analyzed cereal in depth.

With hot chocolate we already have a category, which is drink. Some say a drink may become a soup if it is thickened.

Gravy I think might be a sauce? It might be enough to determine if a sauce is a soup. This is tough question, but I don't think it has s bearing on cereal being a soup.

Likes BillTre
  • #7,095
Jarvis323 said:
Some say a drink may become a soup if it is thickened.
A soup may become a drink if served in a cup.

I've seen some coffee vending machines which had 'soup'.
I've checked it. It was ... well: 'something like that'.

Likes BillTre
  • #7,096
Jarvis323 said:
One of the primary arguments that I've seen against milk and cereal being a soup, is that it's neither cooked nor processed together to form something more cohesive.
So is porridge a soup?

• #7,097
DrGreg said:
So is porridge a soup?
No. That's a torture instrument for sick kids.

• Haha
Likes nuuskur
  • #7,098
BillTre said:
There is a poorly defined line between soaps and stews.
Soap has a lot more lye in the recipe.

• Haha
Likes nuuskur, BillTre and WWGD
  • #7,099
dlgoff said:
I've often said, "my biggest regret in life was not going to Graduate School."

Well, I decided to go to the https://physics.ku.edu/overview-physics-ms and printed out all the relevant documentation. I looked in my file cabinet and found my GRE Interpretation Booklet for Candidates 1972-73. My scores in Math and Physics were well above what's required but I'm wondering if they would be accepted or if I could do it again if I had to retake the GRE.

Thoughts?
I've now applied. Just waiting to see if my application is accepted.

edit: actually I applied to the School of Engineering's graduate program
http://eecs.ku.edu/prospective-students/graduate/masters

Last edited:
Likes Ibix and BillTre
  • #7,100
Keith_McClary said:
Soap has a lot more lye in the recipe.
And none in soups; that's no lye.

• Haha
Likes nuuskur
  • #7,101
dlgoff said:
I've now applied. Just waiting to see if my application is accepted.
Good luck, keep us posted. I suggest if you have a clear, specific idea of your research topic you can start looking for someone to work with and save yourself a lot of time in completing your thesis. Others here that know more physics than I ( which is just about everyonr here) may be able to guide you in that regard.

• Love
Likes dlgoff
  • #7,102
Using "a" or "an" before before another word, as I understand it, is determined (usually) by whether or not the following word starts with a vowel.
"An" goes before vowels, "a" goes before consonants (in the first position of letters in the following word).

Abbreviating of a word starting with an "m" makes an abbreviation (M), which would be spoken as "em" (beginning with a vowel).

Should it get the "an"?
Sounds better that way to me.

What's that relationship between the words called?

• #7,103
BillTre said:
Using "a" or "an" before before another word, as I understand it, is determined (usually) by whether or not the following word starts with a vowel.
"An" goes before vowels, "a" goes before consonants (in the first position of letters in the following word).

Abbreviating of a word starting with an "m" makes an abbreviation (M), which would be spoken as "em" (beginning with a vowel).

Should it get the "an"?

What's that relationship between the words called?
Not sure. But I do remember this guy who would keep saying the likes of , "A hour" and " A accident" despite others suggesting he do otherwise.

Likes BillTre
  • #7,104
If auto ( in)correct is at the cutting edge of A.I, there should be no fear of machines rebelling and taking over any time soon.

Likes Klystron and BillTre
  • #7,105
BillTre said:

Should it get the "an"?
It's based on how you pronounce it, not how you spell it. So, yes it is "an em".

Words that begin with "h" can go either way because some pronounce the "h" ("a historic victory") and some don't ("an historic victory"); either is acceptable.

Last edited:
Likes BillTre