What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #7,771
I want to open a perfume store called " 50 scents".

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #7,772
WWGD said:
Well, I suppose that's better than "50 shades of spray".

• #7,773
WWGD said:

DrGreg said:
Well, I suppose that's better than "50 shades of spray".
As long as you do not make the same stupid mistake a German franchise made. Their advertisement was by the slogan:

"Come in and find out!" I wonder whether they sold anything at all.

Last edited:
  • #7,774
fresh_42 said:
As long as you do not make the same stupid mistake a German franchise made. Their advertisement was by the slogan:

Those were not perfumes, they were just non-scents.

• #7,775
fresh_42 said:

There used to be a UK chain of budget jewellery stores called Ratner's. The owner, Gerald Ratner, said publically that what they sold was "absolute crap" but people bought it anyway. I don't recall how long it took for them to file for bankruptcy after that - a week or two I think.

• #7,776
Ibix said:
There used to be a UK chain of budget jewellery stores called Ratner's. The owner, Gerald Ratner, said publically that what they sold was "absolute crap" but people bought it anyway. I don't recall how long it took for them to file for bankruptcy after that - a week or two I think.
I remember that. You can read the details in the Wikipedia article: Gerald Ratner

Likes Ibix
  • #7,777
DrGreg said:
I remember that. You can read the details in the Wikipedia article: Gerald Ratner
Thanks - I see I had a few details wrong.

• #7,778
Ibix just beat me to post #7,777. I challenge you for #77,777, which I estimate to be at around the year 2035. You in? Edit: Or let's see about #8,888

• #7,779
WWGD said:
Ibix just beat me to post #7,777. I challenge you for 77,777, which I estimate to be at around the year 2035. You in?
I make it more like 2066 given it's taken about five years to get to 7,777, but yeah, I'm in.

Likes WWGD
  • #7,780
Are you supposed to suck on tic tacs or crunch them?

• #7,781
ergospherical said:
Yes.

Likes ergospherical and fresh_42
  • #7,782
ergospherical said:
Did you know that labelling rules in the US allow a single 0.49g Tic Tac's 90% sugar content to be declared as 0g, since it is below the threshold of 0.5g? See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tic_Tac#Ingredients

• Wow
Likes ergospherical, russ_watters and BillTre
  • #7,783
DrGreg said:
Did you know that labelling rules in the US allow a single 0.49g Tic Tac's 90% sugar content to be declared as 0g, since it is below the threshold of 0.5g? See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tic_Tac#Ingredients

I did not that know that, but I am so not surprised.

Last edited:
  • #7,784
WWGD said:
I understand her hotel was close to the school. She came straight out of Compton.;).
What? Do you know who she is?

• #7,785
WWGD said:
Ibix just beat me to post #7,777. I challenge you for #77,777, which I estimate to be at around the year 2035. You in? Edit: Or let's see about #8,888
Or you could get a job. ;)

• #7,786
What ca
Ivan Seeking said:
What? Do you know who she is?
What can I say? Math/IT people tell me to stick to comedy. Comedy people tell me to stick to IT/Math.

• Sad
Likes Tom.G
  • #7,787
Ivan Seeking said:
Oh yes, oddly enough, I learned a key concept from the show, The West Wing. A woman is explaining how guys who are not proverbial hunks or knockouts get beautiful women: Smart and funny. Many women are attracted to men who are smart and funny.

I remember thinking, "I can do smart and funny!" This just helped to reinforce what I had already been learning. It's true! Unflinching confidence, smart, and funny. That was the ticket along with losing 60 pounds and adding a bunch of muscle. Gotta take great care of yourself too!
84cd3eb06ebd01395351005056a9545d.gif

Truth Facts by Wulff & Morgenthaler for July 16, 2021

• #7,788
WWGD said:
What ca
What can I say? Math/IT people tell me to stick to comedy. Comedy people tell me to stick to IT/Math.
I suppose you could try Grave Digger, no customer complaints that way. :wink:

• #7,789
Tom.G said:
But any you do get are serious - there are no minor errors, only grave errors.

• #7,790
Tom.G said:
I suppose you could try Grave Digger, no customer complaints that way.
Festus to Marshall Dillon: "Matthew you look like you was buried a week, and dug up clumsy," or words to that effect.

• #7,791
Keith_McClary said:

LOL! I raised my standards to dream girl. And it worked. If I posted photos of the women I've dated you wouldn't believe it.

But I'm not looking for a wife or life partner. No plans to do that again. So it's a very different game. I have also talked online with something around 6000 women over the last 6 years. I work very hard to find someone when I'm looking. It's a full-time job after my full-time job.

• #7,792
I call it Excel Dating because I have to use Excel to keep track all of my conversations. It isn't easy trying to carry on conversations with ten different women at once. Name, age, education, looks, job, passions, other interests, location, looking for?, wants to do?, names of children if any, names of pets, etc, etc, etc,

Oh yes, the most amazing relationship that I've had was with a women with which I seemingly had nothing in common. It never made sense. I never could have guessed that we could have three amazing years together. There was no basis for it. But we had magic. Since then I mainly look for that inexplicable personal chemistry. There is nothing logical about passion.

Last edited:
  • #7,793
Tom.G said:
But they are also known for notoriously not paying the bill.

• #7,794
I've run recently, in other sites, into some strange/unusual cases of people who's writing was excellent but their content was at best mediocre.

Likes BillTre
  • #7,795
WWGD said:
I've run recently, in other sites, into some strange/unusual cases of people who's writing was excellent but their content was at best mediocre.
How's there spelling ?

• Haha
Likes BillTre
  • #7,796
hmmm27 said:
How's there spelling ?
My bad, auto (in)correct. Whose . Maybe is to help Canadians avoid confusion with a house.

• #7,797
:wink:

• #7,798
They're giving away free groups!

• #7,799
Guy wants to keep his business secret. Including from me. So I have to setup a database for a phantom business I know nothing about. I suspect even he barely knows. Should go well. I believe @fresh_42 was a pm? Any ideas, fresh?

• #7,800
WWGD said:
Guy wants to keep his business secret. Including from me. So I have to setup a database for a phantom business I know nothing about. I suspect even he barely knows. Should go well. I believe @fresh_42 was a pm? Any ideas, fresh?
That's how Oracle, SAP, and all the others came into our world. There is a huge gap between 'from scratch' and e.g. SAP. You could start with the usual suspects (depending on how OO you want to be): clients, deliverers, credits and debits, bills, addresses, and so on. Those databases get bigger automatically, and painful if import and export are involved.

Likes WWGD
  • #7,801
Dang. When it rains, it pours. Earlier I received a phone call from the American Embassy in the Philippines where my brother was living, telling me that he was found dead on July 6th in his apartment. Don't know how it happened. I've been spending most of the evening making contact with his children; one son and two daughters. The embassy officer said he would be sending me some forms that I need to forward to the kids about funeral arraignments. :oldcry::oldcry:

edit: spelling

Last edited:
  • Sad
Likes Wrichik Basu, Borg, collinsmark and 2 others
  • #7,802
dlgoff said:
Dang. When it rains, it pours. Earlier I received a phone call from the American Embassy in the Philippines where my brother was living, telling me that he was found dead on July 6th in his apartment. Don't know how it happened. I've been spending most of the evening making contact with his children; one son and two daughters. The embassy officer said he would be sending me some forums that I need to forward to the kids about funeral arraignments. :oldcry::oldcry:
I'm very sorry to hear that Don. I just lost my brother as well.

• Sad
Likes WWGD, collinsmark and Keith_McClary
  • #7,803
Ivan Seeking said:
I'm very sorry to hear that Don. I just lost my brother as well.
I'm sorry for your loss as well Ivan. :oldcry:

Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #7,804
fresh_42 said:
That's how Oracle, SAP, and all the others came into our world. There is a huge gap between 'from scratch' and e.g. SAP. You could start with the usual suspects (depending on how OO you want to be): clients, deliverers, credits and debits, bills, addresses, and so on. Those databases get bigger automatically, and painful if import and export are involved.
Are changes like adding a table too painful for small databases? Problem is the business has not started yet. I asked client for a "projected invoice" ; one the business will likely issue, but I get the likes of " Just set it up!". He is an acquaintance, so I stick around. I doubt anyone else would go along unless seriously desperate. Very desperate. Guy has found the Stalin within.

• #7,805
Adding tables isn't a big thing. The difficulties come with constraints, foreign keys, or an OO architecture. OO is basically excluded in your case, and as you do not know anything, all you can do is set up naked tables with a bunch of just-in-case fields without any references to related tables. Good thing is, you can later program and hopefully charge hundreds of plausibility checks because you couldn't insert them from scratch into the database.