What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #7,911
ergospherical said:
Quick poll: what's been the best TV show of 2021 so far? Options:

A. Clarkson's farm
B. Clarkson's farm
C. Clarkson's farm
D. Clarkson's farm

E. Clarkson's Farm
Though I don't even own a TV.

Likes ergospherical
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #7,912
A worrisome post modern trend " It is obviously true, no need to bring up statistics nor studies to verify it".

• #7,913
WWGD said:
A worrisome post modern trend " It is obviously true, no need to bring up statistics nor studies to verify it".
I rest my case.

• Haha
Likes nuuskur
  • #7,914
fresh_42 said:
I rest my case.
?

• #7,915
WWGD said:
?
You mean I should have written "Q.E.D." or what I favor "Q.E.E."?

• #7,916
fresh_42 said:
You mean I should have written "Q.E.D." or what I favor "Q.E.E."?
No, I don't know what your point was, nor even whether you agree or not.

• #7,917
WWGD said:
No, I don't know what your point was, nor even whether you agree or not.
You have proven your own statement.

• #7,918
fresh_42 said:
Ah, sorry, I bet self-reference. It reminds me of A bizarre meta- exchange in which someone claimed " There are no true general statements", to which other party replied " That is a general statement". Then it was adjusted to: " Only true general statement is that there are no general ones". Then he was asked to show the latter was consistent.

• #7,919
fresh_42 said:
Got It. Sorry, just had my first caffeine today ;).

• #7,920
Before looking up the lyrics:
" I barely knew your lover, baby"

Lyrics:
" I never was your mother's favorite"

Hey, I got one word right!

Likes Keith_McClary
  • #7,921
I'm trying to do a blood test at home but every time my finger stops bleeding after like 10 seconds and it almost solidifies/clots in the tube? Wtf am I supposed to do :oldconfused:

• #7,922
ergospherical said:
I'm trying to do a blood test at home but every time my finger stops bleeding after like 10 seconds and it almost solidifies/clots in the tube? Wtf am I supposed to do :oldconfused:
Hydrate.

Likes ergospherical
  • #7,923
What is the nature of your test?
Did you clean your finger first?

Likes ergospherical
  • #7,924
Yeah it said to wipe it with antiseptic, leave it to dry then use the lancet to make a pin prick and "milk" 20 or so drops into the tube. I did everything they said, like take a shower beforehand & hold a cup of tea but it didn't work 😥
caz said:
Hydrate.
That's a shout...

• #7,925
If things aren't clean, particular chemicals can cause clotting.

• #7,926
ergospherical said:

1630283511539.png

• Haha
Likes ergospherical
  • #7,927
BillTre said:
If things aren't clean, particular chemicals can cause clotting.
Didn't know that... I've used 3 different fingers now and got it to like 500ul but it's so clotted that I doubt they're going to be able to use it. Oh well I'll just send it off and hope for the best 🤷‍♂️

Maybe next time I'll just ask somebody to punch me in the face and wait for the nosebleed ?:)

• #7,928
Depending on the test, the clot can be spun down (in a centrifuge), yielding a supernant (the serum, a fluid) which might be usable for the test.

• Informative
Likes ergospherical
  • #7,929
ergospherical said:
Didn't know that... I've used 3 different fingers now and got it to like 500ul but it's so clotted that I doubt they're going to be able to use it. Oh well I'll just send it off and hope for the best 🤷‍♂️

Maybe next time I'll just ask somebody to punch me in the face and wait for the nosebleed ?:)
Take an ASA.

Likes ergospherical
  • #7,930
ergospherical said:
Yeah it said to wipe it with antiseptic, leave it to dry then use the lancet to make a pin prick and "milk" 20 or so drops into the tube. I did everything they said, like take a shower beforehand & hold a cup of tea but it didn't work 😥

That's a shout...
I don't know who "they" or "it" is, but I've never gotten more than a drop or two of blood from a lancet finger stick on my Pts. If you want 20 drops, you need to do a small gauge IV stick, IMO. I can fly over and take care of that if you want, but you'll have to pay for my flight and beers. Probably cheaper for you to go to your local health lab...

• Haha
  • Love
Likes Keith_McClary and ergospherical
  • #7,931
fresh_42 said:
Take an ASA.
That increases the yield to 2-3 drops. Don't ask me how I know this please...

• Haha
Likes ergospherical
  • #7,932
berkeman said:
That increases the yield to 2-3 drops. Don't ask me how I know this please...
Ours have ##500\,mg## as standard.

Likes ergospherical
  • #7,933
caz said:
Hydrate.
Save it for bangers/sausage , Dracula style ;)

Likes ergospherical
  • #7,934
well I've only got about £5.16 left in my bank account right now... but give it a few months then if you're ever in London I'd more than happily go for a few doom bars and some vodka shots with you 🤓
WWGD said:
Save it for bangers/sausage , Dracula style ;)
oi oi
should've seen my face when 6yo me found out what black pudding was 🥺

Likes WWGD
  • #7,935
"You may lead any horse/ruminant to water/beverages, but you'll never be able to feed it to the 'trolls'."

• #7,936
Bystander said:
"You may lead any horse/ruminant to water/beverages, but you'll never be able to feed it to the 'trolls'."

You can lead a horse to Ivermectin but you can't make him... oh wait, no you can't. Sold out.

• #7,937
So much for my plans for visual voice mail. After like 5 tries ( all fails), will leave it at that for now.

• #7,938
"M-U-S-T N--O--T F---E---E---D trolls." Today has been a real struggle...

• #7,939
Bystander said:
"M-U-S-T N--O--T F---E---E---D trolls." Today has been a real struggle...
...forgive me, PF, for I have sinned. My mind could not overcome my vanity.

• #7,940
Bystander said:
...forgive me, PF, for I have sinned. My mind could not overcome my vanity.
I have no idea what you are talking about, but I will respect your recommendation.

• #7,941
fresh_42 said:
I have no idea what you are talking about, but I will respect your recommendation.
It was not a "Report"able post, but I was unable to "stifle" myself (Archie Bunker, All in the Family, for those not native to "Yankee" culture) and DID "feed the troll."

• #7,942
Brother, can you spare a paradigm?

• Haha
Likes nuuskur, Ivan Seeking and Bystander
  • #7,943
A paradigms is four nickels, right?

Likes WWGD and Bystander
  • #7,944
Ibix said:
Our paradigm is mainstream. So what is the fee on the nearest ferry at your location's main stream? This is the value of your paradigm.

• #7,945
Ibix said:
Which is the price of a paradox; a nickel each.

Likes Ibix