What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #7,946
WWGD said:
Which is the price of a paradox; a nickel each.
Sounds Scouse...

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #7,947
Ibix said:
Sounds Scouse...
Ox meat may be too tough for Scouse. Maybe that's why it's so cheap?

• #7,948
Seems show ' Raymond' is off the air. Apparently not everybody loves Everybody Loves Raymond.

• #7,949
New cringe: " Project to a higher dimension" (SVMs in ML)

• #7,950
WWGD said:
New cringe: " Project to a higher dimension" (SVMs in ML)
You mean, as in ##y## is a higher dimension than ##x## or ##z##?

• #7,951
Jarvis323 said:
You mean, as in ##y## is a higher dimension than ##x## or ##z##?
I meant points in dimension n projected into dimension n+k.

• #7,952
WWGD said:
I meant points in dimension n projected into dimension n+k.
Or sometimes even an infinite dimensional space.

• #7,953
Jarvis323 said:
Or sometimes even an infinite dimensional space.
Right. Iirc, some how sets that are not linearly separable in dimension n can be mapped to ( " projected") to higher /inc infinite dimensions so that their images in this higher dimensional space are separable. Don't know if it has to see with Hahn Banach geometric form using convex sets.

• #7,954
WWGD said:
Right. Iirc, some how sets that are not linearly separable in dimension n can be mapped to ( " projected") to higher /inc infinite dimensions so that their images in this higher dimensional space are separable. Don't know if it has to see with Hahn Banach geometric form using convex sets.
This is why people who use ML usually don't even try to understand the underlying theory. You basically have to be a PhD level mathematician.

• #7,955
Jarvis323 said:
This is why people who use ML usually don't even try to understand the underlying theory. You basically have to be a PhD level mathematician.
True, though geometric HB only requires sets A,B be disjoint and convex to be linearly separated. I think this is what is used/assumed.

• #7,956
Halfway through submitting a paper to "Studies in Post Modernism"
Emulsify the vituperative dichotomy of caustic Saccades vis a vis the tumultuous cockade of servitude.

• #7,957
Other people can focus like physicists

The Economist(8/28/21) said:
For some readers, “Lady Chatterley’s Lover” was a disappointment. “[T]his fictional account of the day-by-day life of an English gamekeeper is still of considerable interest to outdoor-minded readers, as it contains many passages on pheasant raising,” wrote a reviewer in Field & Stream, a hunting periodical, in 1959. Unfortunately, “one is obliged to wade through many pages of extraneous material” to get to the passages “on the management of a Midlands shooting estate”.

Likes Ibix
  • #7,958
caz said:
many pages of extraneous material...
Sounds like my wife trying to tell me what time we need to will leave for a party. :oldeyes:

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
  • #7,959
Borg said:
we need to leave
we need to will leave

• #7,960
DYK that Murphy's Law can be used to get an advantage?

I have an appointment in the city. If all works fine, it will take 15 minutes. If not, up to 45 minutes. Now the more I pay to lovely Rita, the less waiting time I will have.

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary
  • #7,961
Is that IDA in NYC currently (on tv) already?

• #7,962
fresh_42 said:
DYK that Murphy's Law can be used to get an advantage?

I have an appointment in the city. If all works fine, it will take 15 minutes. If not, up to 45 minutes. Now the more I pay to lovely Rita, the less waiting time I will have.
Rita? Is that a reference to Mambo #5? How about Sandra and the others? I am apparently one of the 5 people who liked the song.

• #7,963
WWGD said:
Rita? Is that a reference to Mambo #5? How about Sandra and the others? I am apparently one of the 5 people who liked the song.
Two decades older:

• #7,964
fresh_42 said:
Two decades older:

Not familiar with it. Somehow it seems most music videos posted here are not available.

• #7,965
Kind of bizarre when they used music themes from TV shows for a dance party. Try dancing to " I'll be there for you", etc.

• #7,966
WWGD said:
Not familiar with it. Somehow it seems most music videos posted here are not available.
The truth is, that I have no idea how that parking fee automates are called in English (parking meter?). The song surrounded this problem.

• #7,967
fresh_42 said:
The truth is, that I have no idea how that parking fee automates are called in English (parking meter?). The song surrounded this problem.
Yes, when you park you put money in the parking meter. I guess an issue of licensing and royalties?

• #7,968
WWGD said:
it seems most music videos posted here are not available.
I get a lot of that too, here in Canada (and not just on PF). Do you get a "Watch on YouTube" link?
Does this version work for you?

Likes BillTre
  • #7,969
Keith_McClary said:
I get a lot of that too, here in Canada (and not just on PF). Do you get a "Watch on YouTube" link?
Does this version work for you?

Same here, thanks: " Watch in You Tube".

• #7,970
And I thought that was a German thing. I get this "Watch on YouTube" message (which works) for about a month or so now.

• #7,971
fresh_42 said:
And I thought that was a German thing. I get this "Watch on YouTube" message (which works) for about a month or so now.
The message is uglier than writing an umlaut in unicode.

• #7,972
WWGD said:
The message is uglier than writing an umlaut in unicode.
Umlaute / umlauts are easy. If I don't have them on the keyboard, then I copy them from Wikipedia:
Ångström, København, etc.

• #7,973
fresh_42 said:
Umlaute / umlauts are easy. If I don't have them on the keyboard, then I copy them from Wikipedia:
Ångström, København, etc.
Fahrvergnugen? I just wanted to come out with a new saying!

• #7,974
I
WWGD said:
Fahrvergnugen? I just wanted to come out with a new saying!
I used to do that with ñ , but I realized I can use it just by changing the language settings on my phone. You can probably do the same with your phone settings.
Now I can talk about an actual Piña Colada.

• #7,975
Did my good deed for today. I noticed two dogs that I've seen before with their owner but running free and headed down the street towards a busy road and a freeway beyond that. I managed to get them to follow me and put them in my back yard. Fortunately there was a phone number on their tags and the owner was able to come get them.
:partytime:

• Love
Likes collinsmark, WWGD, hmmm27 and 2 others
  • #7,976
Gah! Again: Burn Notice is the name of the show, not Burn Unit! No wonder I get these blank stares when I use the wrong name.

• #7,977
WWGD said:
Gah! Again: Burn Notice is the name of the show, not Burn Unit! No wonder I get these blank stares when I use the wrong name.
Another show (Burn Notice) where I favored the side-kick (Fiona) over the lead character.

791357.jpg

• #7,978
fresh_42 said:
Another show (Burn Notice) where I favored the side-kick (Fiona) over the lead character.

View attachment 288569
Sure, who wouldn't?

• #7,979
fresh_42 said:

View attachment 288569
But I don't get how the pic matches the show.

• #7,980
I need to drive Dakar to get to Senegal.

Likes Bystander