What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #9,556
Likes Oldman too
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #9,557
Borg said:
I've heard the name but don't remember much about him.
I just wanted to mention that I was at a fight recently and a hockey game broke out.

• Haha
Likes BillTre, pinball1970 and hmmm27
  • #9,558
share_image_1550343730442.png

• Haha
Likes Hamiltonian, WWGD, nuuskur and 4 others
  • #9,559
I just got an email for my middle daughter that she and one of her sons have gotten COVID.

edit: I think this is the second time she has gotten it.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Likes pinball1970
  • #9,560
Windows 10 has decided to log me off every application whenever I turn off my PC.

Likes Oldman too
  • #9,561
S
dlgoff said:
I just got an email for my middle daughter that she and one of her sons have gotten COVID.

edit: I think this is the second time she has gotten it.
Sorry to hear, DL. Good luck for their recovery.

Likes pinball1970 and dlgoff
  • #9,562
The number of unskippable adds on YouTube are getting absurdly high:headbang:

Likes Algr and fresh_42
  • #9,563
Hamiltonian said:
The number of unskippable adds on YouTube are getting absurdly high:headbang:
I've noticed that too. I figured it was because I was watching channels with high subscriber counts. It's not as bad on lesser channels, afaict.

• #9,564
strangerep said:
I've noticed that too. I figured it was because I was watching channels with high subscriber counts. It's not as bad on lesser channels, afaict.
In songs, adds ( seemingly) absurdly are shown some 5 seconds after/before the beginning/ end of the song.

• #9,565
Just had my Android #$&* again randomly change the background color from white to black. Overreactive piece of %$#@

• #9,566
WWGD said:
Windows 10 has decided to log me off every application whenever I turn off my PC.
I assume security settings in my pc were randomly changed; now I log back on, but I have to do it for each tab having the same app. So, e.g., if I'm reading different tabs here in pf, I must log on to pf separately for each tab. Good thing several forums available where others have posted same question.

• Informative
Likes Oldman too
  • #9,567
Since the "logged in" condition is saved as a cookie on your machine, try doing a screen refresh on those tabs after logging in.

Cheers,
Tom

• Informative
Likes Oldman too and WWGD
  • #9,568
WWGD said:
Overreactive piece of %$#@
I have one of those also.

Likes WWGD
  • #9,569
Oldman too said:
I have one of those also.
Send your spies to take care of it.;).

• #9,570
dlgoff said:
Only problem with living in Kansas are the thunderstorms. Power loss=No PF
There's no Toto Tone for phone either. ;).

• #9,571
It seems Euclid plead the Fifth re his Parallel Postulate.

• Love
Likes pinball1970
  • #9,572
I really enjoyed it today. A cup of coffee. Hot coffee. Just coffee. No latte, no cappuccino, no artificial flavors, nothing. The only question was: with a cover or not? Milk and sugar were available as much as I liked. But that was all extras. And it was all that was needed.

And, yes, nobody asked my name.

Likes pinball1970
  • #9,573
fresh_42 said:
I really enjoyed it today. A cup of coffee. Hot coffee. Just coffee. No latte, no cappuccino, no artificial flavors, nothing. The only question was: with a cover or not? Milk and sugar were available as much as I liked. But that was all extras. And it was all that was needed.

And, yes, nobody asked my name.
Sort of goes with this offer by YouTube: White noise for studying, reading ,
if you're in a somewhat noisy place. I remember Toffler's prescient observation on how society would need to cut down on overstimulation.

As for me, I just asked for my Pepsi. All I wanted was a Pepsi. Just a Pepsi...

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes pinball1970 and diogenesNY
  • #9,574
What to do when a person firmly believes the following are equivalent?
  1. ##\forall x \exists y P(x,y)##
  2. ##\exists x_0 \forall y P(x_0,y)##
and it's driving you nuts. Could ignore and let someone else deal with their malfunctioning mind. Am I responsible for letting it get there, though?

• #9,575
nuuskur said:
  2. ##{}\underbrace{\lnot}_{\text{now they are ...}}{}\left(\exists x_0 \forall y {}\underbrace{\lnot}_{\text{... equivalent}}{}P(x_0,y)\right)##

Likes nuuskur
  • #9,576
nuuskur said:
  2. ##\exists x_0 \forall y P(x_0,y)##
and it's driving you nuts. Could ignore and let someone else deal with their malfunctioning mind. Am I responsible for letting it get there, though?
Every person is someone's father does not imply there is a specific person who's everyone's father.
Not even for Luke.

Edit: Will they accept a Universe/Possible World in which their argument does not hold:

##\{ x_1, x_2, x_3 \} ; P(x_3, x_3),P(x_1, x_2), P( x_2, x_3) ##?

Last edited:
  • #9,577
What are the odds? Starbucks had a worker wearing a sign tag : " I'm in Training". I was wearing one that
read " I'm Not"??

• #9,578
Learning something new every day.

Wife out in the blackberry/blueberry patch pulling weeds. She had noticed a chipmunk in one of the blueberry bushes, so she went out to put down some rubber snakes (we'll see if they work). She started pulling weeds, so I went out to join her. She had several kinds in her hand and made a comment the weeds were out of control.

I reached down and asked about a weed I didn't recognize.

Me: You want to get rid of this?

Wife: Yeah, it's invasive. (I thought she said evasive).

Me: (pulling weed) What is it?

Wife: It's black medic.

Me: (Still pulling he weed)

Wife: It's poisonous.

Me: Thanks for letting me know. Is it poisonous to touch? (I'm thinking like poison ivy or giant hogweed).

Wife: No, just the berries (which the plant had).

I tossed the weed in the garbage and washed my hands. Not sure about its toxicity after reading about it.

• #9,579
Astronuc said:
I tossed the weed in the garbage and washed my hands.
I don't think it (medicago lupulina) is poisonous. Invasive in America, yes. It grows everywhere in Eurasia and is used as food for cattle. You won't do that if it was poisonous.

Last edited:
  • #9,580
fresh_42 said:
I don't think it (medicago lupulina) is poisonous. Invasive in America, yes. It grows everywhere in Eurasia and is used as food for cattle. You won't do that if it was poisonous.
After reading up on it, I agree that it does not appear to be poisonous. It is a just another nuisance.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #9,581
Astronuc said:
After reading up on it, I agree that it does not appear to be poisonous. It is a just another nuisance.
Heracleum mantegazzianum (giant hogweed / Riesen-Bärenklau) is our common enemy.

• #9,582
fresh_42 said:
Heracleum mantegazzianum (giant hogweed / Riesen-Bärenklau) is our common enemy.
I just read about this somewhere. Its a nasty plant!

• #9,583
BillTre said:
I just read about this somewhere. Its a nasty plant!
I recently learned that Taxus is dangerous.

• #9,584
fresh_42 said:
Taxus
Source of taxol (an anticancer drug). Better know as yew trees to me.
We had them in our yard as ornamentals, when I was a kid. I was aware they were poisonous nature (I never ate any of their cute red "berries"!).
Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 2.08.05 PM.png

Here a really weird plant I read about recently:
Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 2.06.26 PM.png

A kind of pitcher plant, in Indonesia, that grows its pitchers underground and catch most invertebrates there. Pitcher plants trap and digest animals to supplement their nutrients in a nutrient poor environment. They make a pot (pitcher) of digestive juices to digest trapped insects. Nutrients freed by digestion are absorbed through the walls of the pitcher.
This CNN report has some video.
Here is the original research report.

• #9,585
BillTre said:
I never ate any of their cute red "berries"!
The berries aren't poisonous, only the seeds. At least the European variant. The needles and the bark are. And 100g needles isn't very much. My favorite syrupe against cough is made of needles. Or was it pinecones?

• Informative
Likes BillTre
  • #9,586
Day 90. And still tempted.

• #9,587
Wonder if all constructions of Fractals are algorithmic. ("Standard")Cantor set has the obvious "Remove Middle Third of each remaining component. No idea ofr others.

• #9,588
WWGD said:
Wonder if all constructions of Fractals are algorithmic. ("Standard")Cantor set has the obvious "Remove Middle Third of each remaining component. No idea ofr others.
More famous is the Mandelbrot set (here: apple men).

Likes Klystron
  • #9,589
A Lottery Lawyer Won Their Trust, Then Lost Their Mega Millions
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...inners-lost-riches-after-using-lottery-lawyer
Jay Kurland built a practice giving legal and financial advice to jackpot winners. He’s now accused of fraud.
In 2018 he started representing the biggest solo lottery winner of all time, a woman who’d bought a $1.5 billion ticket at a convenience store in South Carolina.
I wondered what happened to that anonymous woman who won the $1.5 billion (probably about $950 million after taxes).

• #9,590
WWGD said:
Send your spies to take care of it.;).
The spies recommended dumping the android and going with the "dark side", yup, iphone. I don't miss the glitchy android one bit and comparing play store and apple store apps for malware is a little sobering. (spy vs. spy was my favorite strip from mad, thus the avatar.)

Likes WWGD