What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #9,766
malawi_glenn said:
Ö is used a lot in swedish. Same with Å and Ä.
∅ empyt set, is norwegian Ö.
Swedish set theory be like Ö##\cup##Ö ##=## Ö
Fun fact. Common Swedish student expression in class is also Öööööööööö.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #9,767
Orodruin said:
Fun fact. Common Swedish student expression in class is also Öööööööööö.
My students only says "Ååååååå" during my classes ;)

• Haha
Likes fresh_42
  • #9,768
malawi_glenn said:
My students only says "Ååååååå" during my classes ;)
That much pain?

• #9,769
Orodruin said:
That much pain?
No pain no gain

• #9,770
Orodruin said:
Pain is weakness leaving the body.
Pain is temporary, glory is eternal

Likes berkeman
  • #9,771
Languages are funny. I observed that there is a big difference between Europeans and Americans. We are so used to changing the language every few hundred kilometers, dialects often within dozens of kilometers or even less, that it is completely normal to meet people who speak something entirely ununderstandable. I even have this experience when I go to the grocery store. Americans usually simply expect English.

• #9,772
fresh_42 said:
I once was handed a shot by Hungarian-speaking relatives of my then-girlfriend in Romania. I speak neither language. So I didn't understand the "cheers" and thought I was asked to say the German word for it. I did. It turned out that it meant "idiot" in Romanian. So instead of lifting my glass with a loud "cheers" I accidentally lifted it with a loud "idiot".
I once was explaining in Spanish to a guest that we had goat's milk in the fridge. Unfortunately, I mixed up the word for goat with another word (almost the same except for the ending) which means either "dude" or a mild insult depending on where you're from - either way, you don't get milk from 'em. That was nearly twenty years ago, and I still occasionally get reminded of it...

• Haha
Likes berkeman and fresh_42
  • #9,773
Ibix said:
I once was explaining in Spanish to a guest that we had goat's milk in the fridge. Unfortunately, I mixed up the word for goat with another word (almost the same except for the ending) which means either "dude" or a mild insult depending on where you're from - either way, you don't get milk from 'em. That was nearly twenty years ago, and I still occasionally get reminded of it...
Reminds me of that scene in "Kingpin" with Woody Harrelson
1659995551977.png

• #9,774
fresh_42 said:
Languages are funny. I observed that there is a big difference between Europeans and Americans. We are so used to changing the language every few hundred kilometers, dialects often within dozens of kilometers or even less, that it is completely normal to meet people who speak something entirely ununderstandable. I even have this experience when I go to the grocery store. Americans usually simply expect English.
It's interesting how much you can understand if you know bits and pieces of various languages. I know a few words in German and French, a bit more in Russian, and I'm pretty fluent in Spanish. A lot of European languages have at least something in common with one of those, and with a bit of patience and educated guesswork you can read quite a lot of simple stuff.

I found the Netherlands very frustrating, though. Every time I see Dutch written I feel like I ought to be able to understand it a lot better than I can...

Likes fresh_42
  • #9,776
Internet down in Scotland today. No access to LAN for the McLachlan Clan.

• #9,777
fresh_42 said:
But [Moose] is a very nasty word for a female body part.
TIL! (Even Google didn't really help me.)

But I must have led a very sheltered life. I've never met a female who looked like... that. :eek:

• #9,778
malawi_glenn said:
Pain is temporary, glory is eternal
Pain is temporary, but lengthy. Death is eternal. (There's a reason he/she/it is called the "Angel" of Death.)

• #9,779
strangerep said:
TIL! (Even Google didn't really help me.)

But I must have led a very sheltered life. I've never met a female who looked like... that. :eek:
To find moose, you need to shower, dress up and go out. Neither PF nor Google will help you!

• #9,780
Ibix said:
Leche de cabron?

• #9,781
Orodruin said:
Leche de cabron?
Yes. Cabra would have been correct.

• #9,782
WWGD said:
I don't mean to imply he's insane or something, I just found it a bit unusual.
Not if you happen to be in his kitchen at the time.

Likes WWGD
  • #9,783

TikToker’s theft recovery iPhone hack sparks debate​

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/tech...ecovery-iphone-hack-sparks-debate/ar-AA10pIfY

A TikToker's viral theft-recovery iPhone hack sparked debate in the comments about whether knowing the location of a stolen device is helpful if there's no way to retrieve it.

The creator, Katrina Audrey (@katrinaforeal), shared her own iPhone theft story and walked users through a step-by-step process of how to find your iPhone's location, even if the device has been turned off. Her video has received over 11.5 million views.

"You need to do this iPhone hack in case your phone gets stolen because mine did last night, and I actually got it back," Katrina says. She adds that she learned the hack from @reviewingtech on Instagram.

• #9,784
pinball1970 said:
Not if you happen to be in his kitchen at the time.
He ultimately explained he had received them from a food pantry and did not want them. But, yes, it's kind of bizarre.

• #9,785
Two more for my list of triple syllable phrases:
The Waikiki kiss
The Lolo Lovers ( Lolo is weed in Hawaian)

Happy Birthday, Singapore, Independence from Malaysia in Aug 9, 1965. Isn't @atyy Singaporean?

Likes atyy
  • #9,786
Why is the routing table metric for my 127.0.0.1 loopback equal to 331??

After reading the article on Routing tables, I still have no idea on how to route a table!

• #9,787
WWGD said:
I still have no idea on how to route a table!

1660088795992.png

Likes BillTre and WWGD
  • #9,788
Can it be that Samuel Clemens's sayings are better than his books? Not that the latter are bad.

• #9,789
fresh_42 said:
Can it be that Samuel Clemens's sayings are better than his books? Not that the latter are bad.
How so?

• #9,791
Are those Az quotes verified to be authentic?

• #9,792
WWGD said:
Are those Az quotes verified to be authentic?
I'm not sure, but many have a reference.

• #9,793
Our internet knot achieved a new record yesterday: 12Tbit/s.

... I wonder whether this explains that I was several times randomly off-line.

• Wow
Likes malawi_glenn and pinball1970
  • #9,794
I received my full on hair cut a few days back, the number 0. Several acquaintances apparently didnt recognize me. So maybe the whole Clark Kent/ Superman thing is believable after all.

• #9,795
My friend wants to quit smoking. I suggested he go to De Vice Manager and just delete smoking.

• #9,796
Google's algorithms are the best. I mean, you know, sometimes you have a song in mind, or better, a certain line of the lyrics, but you neither know the band nor the exact title. What shall I say: first hit on YouTube after typing "yo". Eerie.

• #9,797
fresh_42 said:
Google's algorithms are the best. I mean, you know, sometimes you have a song in mind, or better, a certain line of the lyrics, but you neither know the band nor the exact title. What shall I say: first hit on YouTube after typing "yo". Eerie.
1660172325590.png

?
Or maybe it's a \Whoosh for me?

Last edited:
  • #9,798
Gwaah! :oldcry:

My telescope's declination runaway problem is back again.

The optical encoders arrived, but they're the wrong bore size (the size of the shaft they fit on). I didn't realize they had multiple versions, and I was just going by the photo they had for it. But the same photo is used for multiple versions. That's a week* lost and a hundred bucks down the drain.

Doing some more digging, I need exactly the US Digital part, "E4T-256-091-S-D-D-2" (to be a drop-in replacement for my existing encoders, which are now obsolete). And unfortunately, Digi-Key, or any other online supplier, doesn't carry that exact part as far as I can find.

So I guess I need to call US Digital in the morning and hope they can ship me a couple directly.

*(I was able to coax a little out of the telescope in the mean time. Sometimes the existing encoder works. Sometimes.)

• Sad
Likes BillTre
  • #9,799
I think I'm going to scream if I get one more telephone call from Spectrum TV.

Likes collinsmark
  • #9,800
Spoke with US Digital today, and they're sending a new set of encoders (they were in-stock!). 'Should probably arrive next week.

If I have more to add, I might do it in a new thread. It's starting to look like I have enough content on this telescope encoder replacement topic for its own thread.