What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #9,801
When McD orders not picked up after 2 min or so: How about an auction?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #9,802
dlgoff said:
I think I'm going to scream if I get one more telephone call from Spectrum TV.
I don't pickup if I don't recognize the number. I text them asking who's calling.

Likes fresh_42
  • #9,803
WWGD said:
I don't pickup if I don't recognize the number. I text them asking who's calling.
On my land line, there's no number to see.

• #9,804
dlgoff said:
On my land line, there's no number to see.
Smoke Signals?

• Sad
Likes dlgoff
  • #9,805
WWGD said:
Smoke Signals?
ire-it_department-message-smoke_signal-llan238_low.jpg

• Haha
Likes dlgoff
  • #9,806
WWGD said:
Smoke Signals?
Sorry, DL. Cant you ask to be removed or be added to the do not call directory?

• #9,807
fresh_42 said:
Only recently I found out who IT referred to. As if everyone knew except for me.

• #9,808
WWGD said:
Only recently I found out who IT referred to. As if everyone knew except for me.
I once introduced myself as the new boss of IT with the words: "Hello! I am the new culprit!"

• #9,809
fresh_42 said:
I once introduced myself as the new boss of IT with the words: "Hello! I am the new culprit!"
CulprIT?

• Haha
Likes fresh_42
  • #9,810
WWGD said:
Sorry, DL. Cant you ask to be removed or be added to the do not call directory?
I tried to do that on the do not call directory, and couldn't find a way to get that number blocked. Something strange going on with that site.

edit: "On my land line, there's no number to see." But I could find it on their website.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Likes WWGD
  • #9,811
The best sound at Formula E races are the many Diesel generators they use to charge their batteries.

Likes dlgoff
  • #9,812
Lyons Magnus, which recalled 53 beverages including Oatly, Glucerna and Premier Protein drinks last month, has added more than 30 more drinks to the call back due to potential for botulism contamination as well as the previously mentioned Cronobacter sakazakii threat.

"This recall is being conducted due to the potential for microbial contamination, including from the organisms Cronobacter sakazakii and Clostridium botulinum," the Food and Drug Administration said in a release Wednesday. "Although Clostridium botulinum has not been found in products, consumers are warned not to consume any of the recalled products even if they do not look or smell spoiled."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...botulism-threat-ensure-pediasure/10300835002/

• #9,813
dlgoff said:
I think I'm going to scream if I get one more telephone call from Spectrum TV.
I really wish you would do that. It should confuse the heck out of the caller.

(I once pretended to be in deep dementia when I received a marketing call. I managed to waste quite a bit of their time, although in the end I couldn't suppress my laughter.)

Likes dlgoff and BillTre
  • #9,815
dlgoff said:
I tried to do that on the do not call directory, and couldn't find a way to get that number blocked. Something strange going on with that site.
The stated intent of that 'Do Not Call List' is you put your number on it so the scammers don't waste their time with you. (theoretically you've already told them No)

However, so-called Common Knowledge claims it is just another source of live, active numbers.

Here in the U.S., the phone companies allow you to enter numbers to block from getting through to you. This can help with that annoying neighbor down the street... but the scammers will randomly pick phone numbers for your Caller ID display.

An answering machine on your line helps quite a bit. Most incoming scam/spam calls will disconnect when they hear the Beep of the machine ready to take a message.

Good Luck!

[rant]
We moved about 5 years ago and got a new phone number... Peace and Quiet for over a year. Then my wife supplied our new number to an on-line business when placing an order, saying 'this one is alright.' Not! Last calendar year we reaped about 1,000 spam calls. Slowed way down this year so I haven't been tracking it.
[/rant]

• Informative
Likes dlgoff
  • #9,816
Reading the comments section of a political news story is like sticking your head in a cesspool. :oldruck:

• Haha
Likes BillTre
  • #9,817
Borg said:
Reading the comments section of a political news story is like sticking your head in a cesspool. :oldruck:
_nc_ohc=0zRTA2wroOcAX8ZIAAU&_nc_ht=scontent-muc2-1.jpg

• Haha
Likes BillTre, Borg and Rive
  • #9,818
Whenever I read Bachelor and cannot but think about Bacchus and one of our famous bars when we were students: "Ergo Bibamus!"

• #9,819
strangerep said:
I really wish you would do that. It should confuse the heck out of the caller.

(I once pretended to be in deep dementia when I received a marketing call. I managed to waste quite a bit of their time, although in the end I couldn't suppress my laughter.)
I stutter in a really, really chronic way. See how long they would take.

Last edited:
Likes strangerep and fresh_42
  • #9,820
This Nevada home is supposedly the one the Simpson's home was modeled after
20220812_155429.jpg

Likes BillTre
  • #9,821
Strange day, three people I've never met, talking with me, seem happy to see me. I guess I look like someone else. Fortunately, it seems someone who's nice enough, and not the person who owes them money and/or is sleeping with their girlfriend or wife.

• #9,822
Some days I really, really, really have to work harder to maintain inner peace.

Likes Rive and fresh_42
  • #9,823
Borg said:
Some days I really, really, really have to work harder to maintain inner peace.
Oh yes. Indeed! And then imagine I am on day 127 smoke-free. It is really hard on those days to keep it counting.

Likes pinball1970, WWGD, berkeman and 1 other person
  • #9,824
I was a two pack a day smoker when I quit over 26 years ago. Hang in there. It does get easier.

• Love
Likes pinball1970, WWGD, berkeman and 1 other person
  • #9,825
My mom said it is easy to quit smoking because "I have done it 12 times!"

Likes fresh_42
  • #9,826
The easiest way to quit smoking is to never start …

• #9,827
Dying from lung cancer is also a way to quit

• #9,828
malawi_glenn said:
Dying from lung cancer is also a way to quit
Dying from whatever quits whatever.

• #9,829
fresh_42 said:
Dying from whatever quits whatever.
The dying operator annihilates all states

• Haha
Likes fresh_42
  • #9,830
I stopped drinking, using drugs and eating junk food. Worse 15 minutes of my life.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
  • #9,831
malawi_glenn said:
The dying operator annihilates all states
Life is the leading cause of death. 100% fatality rate.

• #9,832
WWGD said:
Life is the leading cause of death. 100% fatality rate.
Life is a terminal disease.

Likes WWGD
  • #9,833
BillTre said:
Life is a terminal disease.
Food is a drug. Quitting food can lead to severe cases of abstinence issues including a feeling of hunger, strong cravings to eat, nausea, delirium, and even death.

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes malawi_glenn and pinball1970
  • #9,834
Orodruin said:
Food is a drug. Quitting food can lead to severe cases of abstinence issues including a feeling of hunger, strong cravings to eat, nausea, delirium, and even death.
wow that's worse than heroine!
Gonna withstand the peer pressure next time my collegues are asking if I want to join them for lunch.
Say no to drugs kids!

• #9,835
malawi_glenn said:
Say no to drugs kids!
Many kids do, but their parents keep insisting. Talk about getting them early…