What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #10,956
fresh_42 said:
13 - 29
What a shame!
What do you have against -16 ??!!

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #10,957
WWGD said:
What do you have against -16 ??!!
The sign, I hate the sign.

• #10,958
fresh_42 said:
The sign, I hate the sign.
🛑

• #10,959
BillTre said:
🛑
Yeah. It should have been all black ...

• #10,960
Could we either change the word for cost, or not use t as a parameter ( as " cosine t")? Specially when doing a business Math problem??

• #10,961
This championship in France does not work my way.

• #10,962
Aging: when you suddenly get sunburns in very unexpected places, like - on the very top of your head.
I start to understand hats. Just bought one.

• Care
  • Haha
Likes collinsmark, Ibix, fresh_42 and 1 other person
  • #10,963
Rive said:
I start to understand hats. Just bought one.
Last year for me...

Where is that "sympathy" reaction?

• Care
Likes Rive
  • #10,964
Ibix said:
Last year for me...

Where is that "sympathy" reaction?
🤗🫂👍:oldlove:🎩🤠👒🐥

• #10,965
fresh_42 said:
🤗🫂👍:oldlove:🎩🤠👒🐥
I swear, the lightbulb moment I had when I connected the bright sun with the vague stinging sensation when I brushed (what remains of) my hair... bloody hurt because of the UV from the bulb. 😛

(And not because of the time it took me to add two and two.)

• Haha
Likes Tom.G
  • #10,966
Fist bump(B) or handshake(H)? Confusing enough. Is there a name for the mixup when A,B meet and exchange H,B, then B,H, etc?

Hope they don't come up with new ways.

• #10,967
Not sure I understood correctly, but there's this app " Find my Android" or such, to help find your phone. But how do you use it if you can't find your phone?

• #10,968
WWGD said:
Not sure I understood correctly, but there's this app " Find my Android" or such, to help find your phone. But how do you use it if you can't find your phone?

If you have an android phone you likely have a Google account. Find a computer attached to the internet and Google "Find my device". Google's first result should bring you to either
https://android.com/find
or
https://www.google.com/android/find/
You should be able to find your device from there. You may need to log into your google account if you haven't already.

If it's not your computer, make sure you log out of your google account when you're done.

• Informative
Likes WWGD and Borg
  • #10,969
I think I understand why the band ""Nickelback" is looked down on. Their songs, at least the two I've heard( though I can't remember their names), sound too slick, as if designed from market research, rather than flowing more " naturally" through good old creativity.

• #10,970
I run this ISS video in the background during the day and it includes audio between the space station and the ground. They spend a crazy amount of time talking about turning laptops on and off. The latest was an instruction to move the mouse every once in a while to avoid going into sleep mode. :oldlaugh:

• #10,971
Borg said:
I run this ISS video in the background during the day and it includes audio between the space station and the ground. They spend a crazy amount of time talking about turning laptops on and off. The latest was an instruction to move the mouse every once in a while to avoid going into sleep mode. :oldlaugh:

And most watching it go into sleep mode themselves.

Likes fresh_42
  • #10,972
Watching that thing on orbit makes you wonder
  1. How the hell was the station assembled on orbit at those velocities :))?
  2. What level of tech is on board and how hard or easy it is to upgrade it.

• #10,973
Hmm, that .djvu file reader. I thought I had downloaded it before. Did I?

• Haha
Likes Jonathan Scott
  • #10,974
WWGD said:
Hmm, that .djvu file reader. I thought I had downloaded it before. Did I?
Maybe you did what I did. Upload somewhere convert and download instead of searching for a reader.

• #10,975
I need a snake

• #10,976
ProfuselyQuarky said:
I need a snake
Why? I have heard they taste like chicken.

Likes BillTre
  • #10,977
fresh_42 said:
Why? I have heard they taste like chicken.
the goal to own a snake and carry it in my pocket and take it on walks increases exponentially with each rattlesnake I see in the wild

• #10,978
ProfuselyQuarky said:
the goal to own a snake and carry it in my pocket and take it on walks increases exponentially with each rattlesnake I see in the wild
These animals have specific requirements.

Likes BillTre
  • #10,979
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Perhaps I am missing the humour. Animals will get stressed, restricted too hot, too cold or like a pocket watch.

• #10,980
pinball1970 said:
These animals have specific requirements.
well yes but no where in those range of requirements negates the ability to take your snake out for a walk . we used to handle all kinds snakes back when I did field work. the herpetologists were amongst the most casual of the snake handlers . you have to get to know your snake before you take it outside, of course

and some species are more friendly and mellow than others

Likes BillTre and pinball1970
  • #10,981
ProfuselyQuarky said:
well yes but no where in those range of requirements negates the ability to take your snake out for a walk . we used to handle all kinds snakes back when I did field work. the herpetologists were amongst the most casual of the snake handlers . you have to get to know your snake before you take it outside, of course

That's great, I'm not a herpetologist so you know what they need.

• #10,982
ProfuselyQuarky said:

Apologies, it's random thoughts.

• #10,983
pinball1970 said:
That's great, I'm not a herpetologist so you know what they need.
haha I'm not either! but animal biologists are amongst the coolest people I've had the pleasure to hang out with. don't even get me started with the bug people

• #10,984
ProfuselyQuarky said:

If you charm them with your special flute.

• #10,985
If you charm them with your special magic flute?

• #10,986

yes the video title has a typo

Likes WWGD and BillTre
  • #10,987
Tom.G said:
If you charm them with your special magic flute?
With their special magic flute ;).

• Haha
Likes Tom.G
  • #10,988
Cars feel like one of the dumbest things you can spend a lot of money on.
a.) They depreciate over time and require constant maintenance. The more expensive the car, the costlier the repairs/maintenance often are.
b.) Very often (not always), more expensive cars are also larger and get worse gas mileage on them.
c.) The PRIMARY functionality of the car - getting you from Place A to Place B - is mostly the same across models. There are speed limits, so having a Ferrari won't matter that much in terms of getting you somewhere faster. The reliability of cars on a basic level is also quite good, so your Honda Civic will reliably get you to work just the same as a BMW that costs 2-3x.

Yes, aesthetics and special features can be significantly better if you go from a $25K car to a $50K+ one. But, for that extra $25K+, is it worth the opportunity cost of investing that money for a return elsewhere (like stock market index fund)? To me, no.

I'm willing to spend money on food and even higher costing/higher quality food outside the home, on the other hand, b/c I think:
a.) it saves me time (there is opportunity costs associated with cooking/planning/buying ingredients/washing dishes)
b.) higher quality foods (I'm guilty of eating lots of fast food too, but I do try to balance that out with healthy higher quality meals too) lead to better health. Better health = less medical expenses and possibly even more work productivity (and life enjoyment "energy").

I consider good food a worthwhile cost to pay up for, but not cars.

My two cents.

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark
  • #10,989
Now imagine your selfconfidence was in shambles and having more of material goodies would compensate for that.

I don't know.. is that too mean ? :oldbiggrin:

• #10,990
kyphysics said:
Cars feel like one of the dumbest things you can spend a lot of money on.
You can't rest or read while driving.

That's my two cents o0)