What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #10,991
kyphysics said:
Cars feel like one of the dumbest things you can spend a lot of money on.
I guess that you haven't bought a boat before. :wink:

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto, Tom.G, collinsmark and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #10,992
kyphysics said:
But, for that extra $25K+, is it worth the opportunity cost of investing that money for a return elsewhere (like stock market index fund)?
what if I invest my money, get 50k back, then decide to buy a bmw then lol

• #10,993
ProfuselyQuarky said:
what if I invest my money, get 50k back, then decide to buy a bmw then lol
That would be very expensive for maintenance. The turn signal fluid alone which is chronically empty is unreasonably expensive.
s-l1600.jpg

• Haha
Likes Borg and Ibix
  • #10,994
all I know is that I've never felt more like an "adult" than when I replaced all four tires in one shot...and that hurt

• #10,995
ProfuselyQuarky said:
all I know is that I've never felt more like an "adult" than when I replaced all four tires in one shot...and that hurt
..., particularly the landfill/disposal fees for the used carcasses.

• #10,996
fresh_42 said:
That would be very expensive for maintenance. The turn signal fluid alone which is chronically empty is unreasonably expensive.
View attachment 332384
Still cheaper than yesteryear when you had to fill it at the pump:
fetch?id=1899079&d=1623765345.jpg

• Love
  • Haha
Likes dlgoff, BillTre and fresh_42
  • #10,997
Ok, heavy accent. ' Where clause', not ' Bear Claws'. When I'm hungry, ' Workshop' becomes ' Pork Chop', ' Where Clause' becomes ' Bear Claws'.

• #10,998
this campus has an affinity for people carrying their MacBooks tucked in the back of their pants I'm genuinely confused

• Wow
Likes BillTre
  • #10,999
ProfuselyQuarky said:
this campus has an affinity for people carrying their MacBooks tucked in the back of their pants I'm genuinely confused
Pictures please.

• #11,000
BillTre said:
Pictures please.
IMG_3480.jpeg

• Wow
Likes collinsmark, WWGD, Rive and 2 others
  • #11,001
He needs a bigger pocket!

• #11,002
ProfuselyQuarky said:
So Siri can hear them more clearly?

• #11,003
What’s worst is that this isn’t the first I’ve seen

• #11,004
ProfuselyQuarky said:
I'm sure it's just a preventive measure against an unexpected mason cleavage (if you don't know what that is, don't ask)

• Haha
Likes BillTre and Ibix
  • #11,005
I hope they remember where it is before sitting. Maybe we can challenge the guy in the pic to fit the entire podium just to his right in his pants.

• #11,006
here's to hoping he's a member of pf so he can explain himself . a mentor perhaps

• Haha
Likes BillTre
  • #11,007
ProfuselyQuarky said:
here's to hoping he's a member of pf so he can explain himself . a mentor perhaps
He's likely pretty profusely quirky.

• #11,008
ProfuselyQuarky said:
But, yes, it'd be interesting to be in a coffee shop and see someone logged on to PF.

• #11,009
Quantum mechanics is the branch of physics where mathematical solutions have been given names.

• #11,010
I thought it was just a strange dream until I read again , here in PF, on people wanting to use human milk to make jewelry.

• #11,011
I prefer to only discuss deadlines with Europeans when they occur on or after the 13th day of the month.

• #11,012
I have read dozens of times people mocking that man in math schoolbooks who buys 57 water melons, but never seen anybody be surprised by things like that:
1696346790820.png

Likes Ibix
  • #11,013
Is that a typo, or is that what you're actually supposed to prove?

I have to say I've never seen the 57 melons thing in the wild. Although somebody on here (I think - my search is failing me) did ask a question about a 1.5g diamond falling out of a ring in the swimming pool, which posters noted was worth in the hundreds of thousands, if not millions.

• #11,014
Ibix said:
Is that a typo, or is that what you're actually supposed to prove?
No, typo. Screenshot from SE.
Ibix said:
I have to say I've never seen the 57 melons thing in the wild.
Or similar strange exercises. E.g., "Three men are digging a hole in three days. How long do six men need?" As if they were faster!

Likes Ibix
  • #11,015
Slightly related, a topic that always puzzles me is how difficult people find simple order of operations problems. If I say I have three 10p coins and four 20p coins everybody will agree I have £1.10, give or take arithmetic slips. As soon as I write 3 × 10 + 4 × 20 a sizeable minority will start moaning how they can't understand why the answer isn't £6.80.

Likes fresh_42
  • #11,016
iOS 17 is so trash I hate it

• #11,017
ProfuselyQuarky said:
iOS 17 is so trash I hate it
So, don't use it!

• Love
Likes Tom.G
  • #11,018
One of the first American guys I met in Manchester was in 1990. A funny smart as hell lad. Lovely guy. From NY but I think he wanted to eventually live in Tel Aviv. I thought of him this week.

• Sad
Likes ProfuselyQuarky, dlgoff and fresh_42
  • #11,019
Why do they send me a document to sign assuming I have a digital pen? My pc doesn't have one!!

• #11,020
It took exactly one month between the assassination and the Austrian declaration of war in 1914. Just saying.

• #11,021
I retired from my company and started working for another company. My old company has been giving my contact info to various companies like life and health insurance companies. Fortunately, I don't need either but the plans that they're offering are an insult. For example, the health insurance plan that they offered is twice what it would cost me if I purchased it directly from the health insurance company. I found out quite some time ago that they were charging employees based on their salary. I guess that extends into retirement as well.

I have seen similar things in health insurance before. One time when I was picking up a prescription, the price seemed pretty high even though I had insurance. I decided to ask the pharmacist how much it was without insurance and it was actually cheaper. Buyer beware.

• Wow
Likes BillTre
  • #11,022
Borg said:
I found out quite some time ago that they were charging employees based on their salary.
That's how it was where I worked. Each option (single, married, with kids) was a certain percent of monthly base pay. It really didn't bother me that I was paying more in dollars than some others.

• #11,024
So now examples in Wiki pages are abstract, sort of the same as the body, only are called examples.

• #11,025
Post 11,025 in the aptly named Random Thoughts thread.