What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #1,086
Psinter said:
For the 7th time titatos, it wasn't at work! I'm just kidding with you :-p. But yeah, it wasn't work.

Ah yes, the little detail is that it wasn't on a cellphone. It was written on a piece of paper and the paper had the name of a business, not her name. Her name also sounds foreign to my language.

Unlike, for instance, your username. This is just an example. If I were to meet someone who had your username for name, it would be harder to forget. It doesn't sound foreign in my language, it sounds cool, and it's not complex.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Because I'm so random and I'm speaking of usernames, I'm starting to regret my username. I should have chosen: Fluffy Bunny.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Another random thought: How are they doing that? I'd very much like to know the equations. Whether it is really a function or whether it is just lines animated with an equation. I think it is the latter.
l4ZTmj8.gif
Oh now I see, that's totally understandable!
There are 4 people, representatives of tobacco companies that visit my shop once a month and I have no idea what their names are. I have their numbers saved as "Marlboro man" "Winston man", "West lady " and" Pall Mall lady ".

With two dealers who come here 3x a week and once a week, I only know their first names.

BTW does Psinter mean something in your language?

Last edited:
Likes Psinter
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,087
JorisL said:
I guess that can be achieved as the visualisation of the surface of a water tank with a continuous spherical wave originating from a vibration at the center of said image.
Should be easy enough to get using e.g. Mathematica.
Hmmmmm. I suspected so.
Sophia said:
BTW does Psinter mean something in your language?
Nope. Just a random username that occurred to me when creating an account.

Likes Sophia
  • #1,088
Another RT.
What's the general English word for techniques such as cold showers, wearing light clothes in winter, sauna, exercising outside in every weather, etc in order to increase immunity and gain various health benefits?
I didn't find any useful translation.

It's widely recommended by doctors here, almost in every related report on TV and in biology textbooks, talking about it is in official PE curriculum. They say everyone who is healthy without chronic diseases, including children over 3, should do this to prevent viral infections.

However, I can't find any more in depth instructions or info about this lifestyle where you slightly shock and strengthen your body using various techniques. It's always explained only generally and superficially. I'm interested in more details of how exactly it works physiologically and how to do it most effectively.
So I was wondering about the key word that I should Google.

Likes Psinter
  • #1,089
i tried "cold therapy" and got a lot of hits for common cold treatments

but one for cold water treatments to improve health

it's an infomercial so i'll post it with this caveat -
NOT an endorsement, linked only as a resource extract keywords for further searching

Edit by mod: No it's not allowable
hope it helps

i'll report this post so mods can decide if that link is apropos . Dont want to start down a slippery slope.
old jimps try "cold therapy for health"

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Psinter and Sophia
  • #1,090
Sophia said:
I didn't find any useful translation.
What's the word in your language? Whenever my wife asks a question about translating from her native Russian, I ask what the word is in Russian. It's often close enough for me to get the English word.

Likes Sophia
  • #1,091
Thank you, @jim hardy. I don't know why but the link in your post takes me to the Hillary song :-)
I searched for cold therapy, but it seems that it is a therapy for an already existing problem.
I'm asking about the lifestyle that increases immunity so that you don't become ill. The extreme form of this is swimming in ice cold water in winter, but it has to be trained gradually and under medical supervision :-) there's one club called Polar Bears who always swim in Danube on New Year.

@Borg, the word is otužovanie which means something like making harder, stronger

• #1,092
Sophia said:
@Borg, the word is otužovanie which means something like making harder, stronger
Hardening is about the only word it seems. Most of the translations refer to equipment used for physical training which isn't quite the same as hardening.

• #1,093
Borg said:
Hardening is about the only word it seems. Most of the translations refer to equipment used for physical training which isn't quite the same as hardening.
Yes, that gave me some results.
I'll have a look at them when I come home.
Thank you and send my greetings to your Russian wife! :-) I've taken Russian at school and love it.

Likes Borg
  • #1,094
Sophia said:
Yes, that gave me some results.
I'll have a look at them when I come home.
Thank you and send my greetings to your Russian wife! :-) I've taken Russian at school and love it.
I never got so far that I could have learned the interesting stuff. Whenever I asked, the only answer has been: "I sent him far, far away ..."
I have a suspicion where this might have been, but that's all.

• #1,095
680e0330d9d6861ecf5f80610bb0ab9e.jpg

• #1,096
fresh_42 said:
I never got so far that I could have learned the interesting stuff. Whenever I asked, the only answer has been: "I sent him far, far away ..."
I have a suspicion where this might have been, but that's all.
Sorry I don't understand what you mean.
Do you mean that you studied Russian but when you asked something they sent you "somewhere" (vulgar) ?

• #1,097
Sophia said:
I don't know why but the link in your post takes me to the Hillary song :-)
:DD
@jim hardy

What was that? Oh my, I'm dying of laughter :oldlaugh:.

jim, looks like you had the video link in your clipboard when you pasted. Don't worry, it also happens to me from time to time.

• #1,098
Sophia said:
Sorry I don't understand what you mean.
Do you mean that you studied Russian but when you asked something they sent you "somewhere" (vulgar) ?
It rather has been very, very personal studies and the curses happened on occasions like, e.g. a customs officer tried to get some bribery from me and alike and she came to save me. :wink:

Likes Sophia
  • #1,099
fresh_42 said:
It rather has been very, very personal studies and the curses happened on occasions like, e.g. a customs officer tried to get some bribery from me and alike and she came to save me. :wink:

haha, ok :D it's better to leave certain things to fantasy :D

• #1,100
titatos said:
But I think Borg is a red head woman.
You couldn't be farther from the truth. :oldlaugh:

Likes titatos and Psinter
  • #1,101
This is when you learn by practice, not by reading theory or listening to others:

The Simpsons give the impression of covering every space from society. In my language that has a name, but the best translation I could find in English was: "Brute forcing." Once, in a class of advanced programming a student asked the professor: "Can we brute force the exam?" The professor asked: o_O "What do you mean by 'brute force the exam'?" The student replied: "When you don't know how to do something, but you keep messing around with the data until you get the correct answer." The professor laughed and replied: "I could give you some points if the final answer is right, but to get full points you need to use the methods that were discussed."

Other exams of other courses were so abstract that the professors allowed brute forcing. They only cared about the final answer. After all, the professors themselves brute forced the exercises from the book because they were too abstract. In the end they verified the correctness of the answers.

Likes titatos
  • #1,102
@Sophia and @Psinter

Sophia said:
Thank you, @jim hardy. I don't know why but the link in your post takes me to the Hillary song :-)
oh my goodness it does for me too how on Earth did that happen? That goes to a link i posted in "Funny Pictures" thread but it's got a different URL.

I'll fix it in that post up above

very strange, that one

Edit by mod: link not allowed goes the right place now, i checked it in both posts.

that's what showed as a link but it went to that political satire video site instead ,
i don't know what to say except "I'm Sorry" .. Lesson learned - after posting a link always check that it goes where it did before you posted it.

As you see in corrected post above it goes the right place now. Even though the identical text string directed us to the wrong place before.

I may have to append my signature with 'never trust a computer with anything trivial, either."

old jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Psinter
  • #1,103
jim hardy said:
oh my goodness it does for me too how on Earth did that happen? That goes to a link i posted in "Funny Pictures" thread but it's got a different URL.
No trouble :smile:. That happens. If you are on a Windows operating system and using an external mouse, that can happen. One clicks somewhere, but the click is not processed or it is processed late. So by the time it is processed, the mouse is already at another position on the screen. Also, sometimes Ctrl+C fails too because it gives the impression that the selected text is on focus when in reality it is not for some reasons that include the above and the window losing and re-gaining default focus elsewhere.

I have observed the same behavior in some Linux flavors too. Since URL bars of web browsers don't have a blinking cursor when there is a selection on them, it is hard to know whether they have focus or not.
jim hardy said:
I may have to append my signature with 'never trust a computer with anything trivial, either."
Hihi.

• #1,104
Also a banned sockpuppet's post's were deleted, I may have to come back and delete the responses to their posts, so be aware if your posts disappear, that is why. Sorry to be a downer, but this isn't chat, it's random thoughts. Which means lengthy discussions aren't allowed. Sorry, keep it short please.

• #1,105
Evo said:
Also a banned sockpuppet's post's were deleted, I may have to come back and delete the responses to their posts, so be aware if your posts disappear, that is why. Sorry to be a downer, but this isn't chat, it's random thoughts. Which means lengthy discussions aren't allowed. Sorry, keep it short please.
I understand. You are right.

• #1,106
Psinter said:
I understand. You are right.
I mean some discussion is fine, just keep it under a couple of pages.

Likes Psinter
  • #1,107
Vanadium 50 said:
You don't.

The temperature field of the atmosphere is everywhere too. Doesn't mean you can use it as a radio either.
Smoke+Signal+Spam.gif

Sorry, @Vanadium 50, couldn't resist.

• #1,108
curious, i did eport post #
Psinter said:
I have observed the same behavior in some Linux flavors too. Since URL bars of web browsers don't have a blinking cursor when there is a selection on them, it is hard to know whether they have focus or not.

This was strange. I copy and pasted the URL, it printed in blue in my post so i didn't check it. But it directed to a different site than it named .
So i strike-throughed it and posted the correct one. It appeared in blue, same identical text as before so i checked . It went to the right place.
But the first one, immediately above in my post with same identical characters , went to the wrong place.
So i looked at them with BB code editor instead of text editor, they were still identical characters. Yet clicking them sent users to two different places.

I confess ignorance -
i have no clue how a program can arrive at two different destinations by following two identical text strings. Same two destinations for three different users, so it's not a timing glitch..
I guess that's why they call it "software."

old jim

• #1,109
That's OK, @jim hardy , no need to apologize! In fact, I find the song HILLARYous and listened to it twice and it still played in my head afterwards :p
@Psinter, you are a true IT expert!

• #1,110
Almost got rear-ended by a drunk on the way to the gym at 4am this morning. I was stopped at a light and could see that he wasn't going to stop in time so I pulled forward and to the right. He must have realized at the last moment what was going on because he swerved into the left lane at the last second - barely missing the back of my car. If I hadn't pulled forward, he would have definitely hit me. I let him go ahead after the light turned green and the whole right side of his car was damaged from hitting something. Lucky for him, I don't have a cell or I would have called 911.

• #1,111
Borg said:
Almost got rear-ended by a drunk on the way to the gym at 4am this morning. I was stopped at a light and could see that he wasn't going to stop in time so I pulled forward and to the right. He must have realized at the last moment what was going on because he swerved into the left lane at the last second - barely missing the back of my car. If I hadn't pulled forward, he would have definitely hit me. I let him go ahead after the light turned green and the whole right side of his car was damaged from hitting something. Lucky for him, I don't have a cell or I would have called 911.
I had a similar occurance, I saw a car coming up from behind me and was going too fast to be able to stop, luckily the right lane next to me was empty and I had left enough room between me and the car in front of me so that I was able to pull into the right lane and pull forward honking my horn to alert the car in front of me, but it was too late, the car coming from behind was already hitting them.

• #1,112
Evo said:
I had a similar occurance, I saw a car coming up from behind me and was going too fast to be able to stop, luckily the right lane next to me was empty and I had left enough room between me and the car in front of me so that I was able to pull into the right lane and pull forward honking my horn to alert the car in front of me, but it was too late, the car coming from behind was already hitting them.
Are you proud of your smart quick thinking or do you feel guilty that you transferred your fate onto someone else ? :eek:o_O:wink::biggrin:

• #1,113
RonL said:
Are you proud of your smart quick thinking or do you feel guilty that you transferred your fate onto someone else ? :eek:o_O:wink::biggrin:
If I hadn't moved, my car would have been slammed into the car in front of me, so it was going to get hit no matter what, and I had a baby in the back seat. Can't feel good about it, It was an automatic reaction, but I can't feel wrong about it.

Likes Borg, fresh_42 and RonL
  • #1,114
Evo said:
If I hadn't moved, my car would have been slammed into the car in front of me, so it was going to get hit no matter what, and I had a baby in the back seat. Can't feel good about it, It was an automatic reaction, but I can't feel wrong about it.
The reason for my post, is I have been in the same situation and on both sides of the aftermaths, in two different events and no accidents, but only by thousandths of a second in timing :smile:

• #1,115
RonL said:
The reason for my post, is I have been in the same situation and on both sides of the aftermaths, in two different events and no accidents, but only by thousandths of a second in timing :smile:
The car in front wasn't hit hard, I think my horn and sudden moving caused the driver behind to slam on his brakes and the extra distance my moving gave also reduced the impact, so I think what I did avoided what could have been a serious accident. Or at least that's what I like to think. The result was just a fender bender for the two cars instead of one car crushed between two others. I was in a small Honda Civic between two gargantuan cars.

Likes RonL
  • #1,116
OMG, a skunk just sprayed outside my bedroom window and my windows are open because it's cool outside. I just finished vomiting. :H I was planning on being asleep.

• #1,117
Evo said:
OMG, a skunk just sprayed outside my bedroom window ...
Gratuitously?

• #1,118
Bystander said:
Gratuitously?
Most certainly.

• #1,119
W/o provocation, spraying is an indication of ill-health.

• #1,120
Bystander said:
W/o provocation, spraying is an indication of ill-health.
It might have run into a racoon or opossum. They all run around here at night.