What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #1,191
Found it! OpenCV.

This is what I need to properly process image frames from a camera to detect spiders at night. Although I'll need to check how well it works with night-vision camera created images.

Coming soon, a spider detection system for those who are afraid of spiders. So they can sleep well at night, trusting that they will be alerted of when a spider is on the move in the same room :oldlaugh:.

Married people are so lucky. They get to sleep with someone who protects them at night from spiders. I on the other hand have to always be on alert. Asleep, but not super asleep.

Likes Sophia
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,192
Here in California we are voting on whether or not to make marijuana legal. If it passes, it looks like it will be handled much like alcohol:

• Smoking is a-okay in a private home or at a business licensed for on-site consumption.
  • Smoking is illegal while driving, in any public place, or anywhere where smoking tobacco is already prohibited (e.g. restaurants, bars, planes, etc).
https://ballot.fyi/64/

• #1,193
Astronuc said:
There is a point at which he should have veered left where the slope and trees drop below his glide plane. He kept right - and into the trees.
Old pilot's saying: "Power into conifers, stall into deciduous" .:wink:
mheslep said:
Wingsuit flying risk seems to be akin to something like,
I don't understand the compulsion to daredevil. If i felt need of a Russian Roulette fix i'd just watch "Deer Hunter" again .
But then I'm over fifty. That's the age where a male starts to value his life.

old jim

Likes OCR, Bystander and mheslep
  • #1,195
Psinter said:
Volkswagen

May or may not be a play of words.
I don't understand your confusion. Hitler wanted a "People's Car," which was going to be called a "People's Car," which, in German, is "Volkswagen." There is no accidental play on words to speculate about.

Likes Evo
  • #1,196
zoobyshoe said:
Hitler wanted a "People's Car," which was going to be called a "People's Car," which, in German, is "Volkswagen." There is no accidental play on words to speculate about.
Source?
zoobyshoe said:
I don't understand your confusion.
Naturally, zooby. I have no confusion. So there's nothing to understand about confusion. When you are not certain about something you just use the word "may" like I did. Not certain does not mean confusion.

I don't know German. I just noticed when my eyes by chance landed on a German writing that had the word "wagen" on it and I was like: "Wait... wagen?... that sounds like Volkswagen..." So I looked about it's definition and thought that if wagen means car, maybe the first part of the name also had a meaning. So I searched and that's how I came to it.

• #1,197
Psinter said:
Source?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen

Naturally, zooby. I have no confusion. So there's nothing to understand about confusion. When you are not certain about something you just use the word "may" like I did. Not certain does not mean confusion.
First definition that came up when I googled:

con·fu·sion/kənˈfyo͞oZHən/
noun
  1. lack of understanding; uncertainty.
  2. the state of being bewildered or unclear in one's mind about something.

Likes Psinter
  • #1,198
jim hardy said:
Old pilot's saying: "Power into conifers, stall into deciduous" .:wink:
I don't understand the compulsion to daredevil. If i felt need of a Russian Roulette fix i'd just watch "Deer Hunter" again .
But then I'm over fifty. That's the age where a male starts to value his life.

old jim
I'd "like" this three or four times but, sadly, is not possible.

Likes Bystander
  • #1,199
mheslep said:
I'd "like" this three or four times but, sadly, is not possible.

• #1,200
Psinter said:
I just noticed when my eyes by chance landed on a German writing that had the word "wagen" on it and I was like: "Wait... wagen?
Wagen and wagon are very likely of the same origin. Same as folks and Volk I assume.

• #1,202
cool-TV-shows-History-Discovery-ad.jpg

No one can argue with that anymore.
cool-TV-guide-show-fat-forest.jpg
Because TV, that's why.

I do not laugh at the guys, maybe they are trying hard to be active. I laugh at the idea of making it a show.

Likes jim hardy
  • #1,203
Yep. Meanwhile they broadcast everything that either fills the minutes and / or has high audience ratings. And the latter isn't qualified for accuracy, rigor and old fashioned journalism.

It became an MTV world: every message that takes longer than 10 seconds is no message anymore.

• #1,204
It's so hard for me to avoid jokes in the serious threads ...

E.g.:
Monkeys aren't humans.
asks, no, shouts for this comment:

Likes BillTre
  • #1,205
It's been more than 365 days since I had a flu cold. Time to celebrate. You may wonder: "how did you accomplish this, Psinter?"

The answer is simple: I stopped socializing. :-p

Jokes aside, the sick are everywhere. If you are a person that must walk everyday and go to places with lots of people, take a closer look. There is almost always someone with flu or something contagious.

At uni for example, I can always point some student that is sick. I bet professors have noticed too.

Last edited:
  • #1,206
Psinter said:
It's been more than 365 days since I had a flu. Time to celebrate. You may wonder: "how did you accomplish this, Psinter?"

The answer is simple: I stopped socializing. :-p

Jokes aside, the sick are everywhere. If you are a person that must walk everyday and go to places with lots of people, take a closer look. There is almost always someone with flu or something contagious.

At uni for example, I can always point some student that is sick. I bet professors have noticed too.
That's cool!
I had a flu maybe 10 years ago but I have a cold and sore throat every year, sometimes twice. In last few years, it affected my vocal cords more than before.
Last week I got an ear infection, something I haven't had since 4th grade.
My 28yo friend has a chronic angina and he will have his tonsils removed like a little boy, he jokes about it :-)

Likes Psinter
  • #1,207
I actually looked and I got it wrong :sorry:. It is not flu what I meant. I meant cold. Flu is short for influenza o:).

My bad :sorry:.

I used to get a cold always every month until I decided not precisely stop socializing, that was just a joke, but keep my distance from those who are sick. It hasn't been easy avoiding them, but I have managed to not catch a cold for more than 1 year. There is always a sick student that sits next to you. My smell sense is very sensitive and I swear, people with cold reeks of bacteria or whatever is that smell that characterizes them. I can't stand it, but I suppose it is because my smell sense is very sensitive.

Wait, I can still edit my post. I'll fix it.

• #1,208
Psinter said:
Wait, I can still edit my post. I'll fix it.
You've forgotten this one ##\uparrow##. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Likes Psinter
  • #1,209
fresh_42 said:
You've forgotten this one ##\uparrow##. :biggrin:
Yup, I keep saying flu o:).

• #1,210
Psinter said:
Yup, I keep saying flu o:).
The viruses themselves are to blame. They simply don't introduce themselves no matter how often you complain.
If at least the golf versions could ... "Hello, I'm the Birdie / Eagle / Albatross / Condor - Flu!"

Likes Psinter
  • #1,211
While joking here, I just thought:

What Alan Alexander Milne would have said, if somebody had told him that a century later, people around the globe were still (simultaneously; in the authors rest frame :wink:) having fun with his inventions.

O tempora, o mores!

Likes Psinter
  • #1,212
There is a saying about there being 2 responses: fight or flight.

What about one when you are too freaking scared to do either and you get paralyzed?

Just random stuff that crossed my mind.

• #1,213
Psinter said:
There is a saying about there being 2 responses: fight or flight.

What about one when you are too freaking scared to do either and you get paralyzed?

Just random stuff that crossed my mind.
Freeze

Likes Psinter
  • #1,215
The 6th movie of Harry Potter, despite being the one that introduced an unforgettable tragedy, it was also the funniest. There is humor from the very beginning. Most of it is humor and the tragedy begins only like after more than 1 and half hour later.

• #1,216
Kind of interesting/unusual, this guy in Barnes and Noble, in his 60s, doing coloring with crayons.

• #1,217
WWGD said:
Kind of interesting/unusual, this guy in Barnes and Noble, in his 60s, doing coloring with crayons.
Stroke rehab? 'Til you've been there, 'tis a bit hard to say.

• #1,218
Bystander said:
Stroke rehab? 'Til you've been there, 'tis a bit hard to say.
No, I am not mocking him, I am just kind of curious. It may actually be fun to do it.

• #1,219
WWGD said:
not mocking him,
Did not mean to imply you were --- just pointing out some possibilities.

Likes WWGD
  • #1,220
WWGD said:
Coloring books for adults are very popular here. We sell several types in our shop. Me and three of my friends in their late twenties do it, too. It's true that mostly women buy it, but men do buy them from time to time as well. It's very relaxing. What I like about it is that it gives those without talent the opportunity to relax by creating art and they don't have to be stressed that they can't draw properly. With coloring pictures someone else has drawn, you can't make a mistake :)

You can find them on Amazon or simply search "adult coloring pages" on google pictures and you can print out thousands of pages

Likes WWGD and Psinter
  • #1,222
Sophia said:
Coloring books for adults are very popular here. We sell several types in our shop. Me and three of my friends in their late twenties do it, too. It's true that mostly women buy it, but men do buy them from time to time as well. It's very relaxing. What I like about it is that it gives those without talent the opportunity to relax by creating art and they don't have to be stressed that they can't draw properly. With coloring pictures someone else has drawn, you can't make a mistake :)

You can find them on Amazon or simply search "adult coloring pages" on google pictures and you can print out thousands of pages

Do you ship from your store to the U.S (NYC)?

• #1,223
WWGD said:
Do you ship from your store to the U.S (NYC)?
:-) I theoretically could but I'm 100% sure you can find lots of coloring books in the stores in the US or in online shops based in the US :-)
If you can't find anything I can send something to you without a problem.
I just think it's unnecessary for you to pay for intercontinental shipping.

Likes WWGD
  • #1,224
Sophia said:
:-) I theoretically could but I'm 100% sure you can find lots of coloring books in the stores in the US or in online shops based in the US :-)
If you can't find anything I can send something to you without a problem.
I just think it's unnecessary for you to pay for intercontinental shipping.
Thanks, Sophia, just shaking you up a bit :).

Likes Sophia
  • #1,225
Oh :-D
You see I'm at work right now so I'm in that marketing mindset :-p
Professional deformation

Likes WWGD