What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #1,226
SQ said:
How dare you contradict my delusions with facts.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,227
WWGD said:
No, I am not mocking him, I am just kind of curious. It may actually be fun to do it.

I think it can be more difficult for adults to slow down enough to actually start. But, if you remember from childhood that single-minded focus that takes over once the coloring begins- that's still there! At first, the idea of adult coloring books seemed odd and restricting to me, but I have found a few really good ones and they are soothing! There are usually little stations set up in buildings on my campus with ongoing games and puzzles; this year, they've added adult coloring sheets and quality pencils/colors/markers. My library has an acrylic display for finished works. I can't help but smile when I walk past it and see that no one has taken down my daughters pink, pink, and pink peacock she drew! Personally, I like the sheets with thinner lines, fewer repeating elements, and with enough variety that I discover more detail as I go. Some of these designs are so beautiful that they could stand alone on a wall without needing coloring!
_

This reminds me --being on the topic of beautiful, creative, fun, colorful, and all-- that this thread seems to be missing it's usual element. Wonder if Pepper Mint will be allowed back? Sure would be nice for her to bless us with her presence again... Seemed like such a genuinely sweet person to me that she could be packaged and distributed herself: Pepper Mint therapy.

• #1,228
Hey there. How's it going?

• #1,229
Char. Limit said:
The Char is back... :woot:

• #1,230
Char. Limit said:
It's Friday. I need a pint after this week. I do not have a pint. Mixed, in summary. You?

Likes fresh_42
  • #1,231
Char. Limit said:
Hi Char! :)):woot::biggrin:

• #1,232
Borg said:
The Char is back... :woot:

For now, at least. I'm not dead, which I'm sure you're happy to hear. Let's hope my presence can last.

Ibix said:
It's Friday. I need a pint after this week. I do not have a pint. Mixed, in summary. You?

It's Friday here too. My co-worker has been absent for two and a half days in a row now, but the workweek is over and I can relax now. So all in all, pretty nice. Hell is coming though.

collinsmark said:
Hi Char! :)):woot::biggrin:

Hello! Long time, no see.

• #1,233
Char. Limit said:
welcome-back-sign-smiley-emoticon.gif

image from http://www.sherv.net/emoticons/welcome.htm

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,234
Char. Limit said:
For now, at least. I'm not dead, which I'm sure you're happy to hear. Let's hope my presence can last.
Very glad to see you back again and hope that your presence will last. :oldsmile:

• #1,235
Seems kind of laughable. There is this new (correct, I believe) belief that sitting all day is bad for one's health.
Fine so far. Still, the solution some seek seems over the top: there are these new movable work desks. One can
elevate or just shift the desk around so that one can work while standing. But this costs a few 100 $.
My solution at work: I get off my ass every hour or so, do some quick calisthenics , go up and down the stairs.
I do this around 3x daily. I also take a 10-min walk during lunch break. Cost of my solution: $0 (My health
condition is good).
EDIT: My post may be somewhat simplistic, as I have no data to support the benefits of my approach vs the movable desk approach. Not intended to be rigorous.

Last edited:
  • #1,236
Your solution has been recommended for years as far as I know.
I'd also say it's better compared to the new desk.
People will always try to make money by appealing to people's laziness. Just think of all the machines that exercise for you while you watch TV :-)

I'm of course not saying that ergonomics is not important because it is.

• #1,237
Sharing
TL;DR: Sometimes you learn from friends.

I didn't tend to share sweets with other people. I liked sweets too much and I wanted them only for me. But something my friend told me once sort of made sense. I was talking with him when he opened a box of cookies and there was only one left. While I was talking he interrupted me and he offered me the last cookie. Paraphrasing our conversation, I was like: "Dude, no. That's your last cookie." To which he replied: "I ate the whole box. That I give to you the last one doesn't mean anything."

I was like: :bugeye:

I never thought of it that way. Strange because the way I was back then, I would have never shared with anyone my last cookie. Sometimes you learn stuff from your friends.

In the end I didn't take it, I was too struck by his words to be thinking of sweets. Now if there is one of a sweet left and there is someone with me, I offer it to them.

Likes Sophia
  • #1,238
Four time keeping devices I have to physically correct myself.

• #1,239
zoobyshoe said:
Four time keeping devices I have to physically correct myself.
Last year I had about 35, including digital cameras, old hi-fi equipment, and even landline phones. I've deliberately turned off the clock built into the microwave as it was never right. This year I haven't yet found the instructions to change the digital clock in my car. The worst ones are where one can only advance the time by pressing a button, but the button often advances by more than one (probably switch bounce), so it can overshoot and need another cycle. I also hate things where the minutes increment at a time which isn't affected by setting, so I carefully set the exact time only for it to increment to the next minute a second or two later. The situation is slowly improving (all our computers, smartphones, TVs, set top boxes and so on pick up the time automatically). What I need now is a way to set my appetite and wakefulness to match the new time; it takes weeks to get used to it.

• #1,240
Jonathan Scott said:
This year I haven't yet found the instructions to change the digital clock in my car.
I once did this on my way home. It's been on a big road heading outside of town. I'v been going with the wrong time for a while and decided it was time to adjust it. To do this while driving I had to slow down a little to keep an eye on the road while playing with the clock.
Long story short: the alternative would have resulted in a probably expensive ticket for speeding :wink:

• #1,241
Jonathan Scott said:
This year I haven't yet found the instructions to change the digital clock in my car.
I just add six hours five minutes to what clock says and convert back from 24 format.
Too many counterintuitive computer menus of that blasted radio. Sometimes I really miss my '49 Buick.

Likes Jonathan Scott
  • #1,242
Had a lot of chaos lately. Adding a guest house for kids and grandkids' summer visits . If my posts have seemed scrambled, well, probably they were.

Had good help,
GuesthousefrontView.jpg

but we sure tore up the yard running electric and water to it.
guesthouseConduits.jpg

Whew glad that part is done !

Likes Ibix, Psinter, Sophia and 1 other person
  • #1,243
jim hardy said:
Adding a guest house for kids and grandkids' summer visits
Nice Jim. I'm impressed.

• #1,245
rbelli1 said:
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-if-you-like-but-dont-brag-about-its-benefits
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/03/17/470713717/stand-to-work-if-you-like-but-dont-brag-about-its-benefits said:
After all, America's sitting itself into an early grave.
Hey hey hey! That's offensive. I invest a lot in my pyramid for your information. I prefer the term Awesome Breath Taking Pyramid over grave, if you don't mind.

:-p

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,246
Psinter said:
Hey hey hey! That's offensive. I invest a lot in my pyramid for your information. I prefer the term Awesome Breath Taking Pyramid over grave, if you don't mind.

:-p
America's sitting into...a country of fat, flat asses. We need to shake our chairs (that have become stuck) off our asses and can barely stand without pulling them away with us.

Likes Psinter
  • #1,247
WWGD said:
America's sitting into...a country of fat, flat asses. We need to shake our chairs (that have become stuck) off our asses and can barely stand without pulling them away with us.
I think a better approach is to move forward using logic and reason. There's no need to shake anything. (Edit: although, yeah, I suppose a bit of physical exercise couldn't hurt. As a matter of fact, shaking one's bottom once in a while probably isn't a horrible idea. Okay, so maybe that's not altogether a bad idea [so long as it's tempered with logic and reason.] -- nevermind. :oops:)

Last edited:
Likes Enigman and Psinter
  • #1,248
WWGD said:
Far worse is: Ever since I've been there, I reduced possible shopping facilities to those which can be arrived by car plus free and easy parking.

• #1,249
WWGD said:
We need to shake our chairs (that have become stuck) off our asses and can barely stand without pulling them away with us.
Funny because I have trouble gaining weight. The only way I have tested that allows me to keep on normal weight is by lifting weights. Otherwise I plummet back to underweight.
:oldlaugh:
J1ugTK4.jpg

Can it watch. I do what I want. I don't need a computer giving me advice.

• #1,250
Psinter said:
Funny because I have trouble gaining weight. The only way I have tested that allows me to keep on normal weight is by lifting weights. Otherwise I plummet back to underweight.

Lucky you!

[ mod note: oversize image removed ]

Likes Psinter
  • #1,251
Psinter said:
Can it watch.
That confused me for a bit until I realized you probably mean something like "Can it, watch!", telling the watch to stop telling you things.

• #1,252
Jonathan Scott said:
That confused me for a bit until I realized you probably mean something like "Can it, watch!", telling the watch to stop telling you things.
Yup :smile:. I completely forgot the comma o0).

• #1,253
A bad start to the day - a sinkhole on a major street in Fukuoka, Fukuoka Prefecture, Kyushu, Japan.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/parts-street-collapse-southern-japan-city-no-injuries-045508141.html

I'm guessing the sewer main broke and the surrounding soil was flushed downstream.

• #1,254
Days are getting shorter and maybe you too have to walk after dark. Don't forget your reflective clothing!

• #1,255
When I was a kid, I once visited in a boat a mini island that was in the middle of the sea. One part of the island connected directly to the sea and the water was deep (pretty normal). But the other side of the island was different. The water was cystal clear, very shallow (not deep) and the terrain was rocky. It was so shallow you couldn't submerge on it, you could just wet your feet.

The shallow (not deep) water extended for a long distance, and far away you could see wild waves hitting some place and raising white foam. I walked over the shallow water for a long distance to see what was that place the waves were hitting only to find out and get scared. It was like you are walking on something you can see, but all of a sudden, that terrain you are walking becomes a cliff and the water becomes very dark blue.

It was like a cliff, but in the water! :nb) Like when you are in a mountain and reach a cliff? Like that, but it was in the water!

I got scared and ran back to the island with the others. I mean, first it was crystal clear and you could see where you were stepping, and all of a sudden, the terrain abruptly becomes a cliff and everything is dark blue. Scary.

It was like this, let me try to draw it:
Code:
Shallow water, crystal clear
                              |
                               |
Now I remember this... the 'butt' scene (from Finding Nemo... he calls it open water :nb)). I wouldn't get that close to the cliff. It looks dark and scary and goes deep blue pretty fast. Only reason I did back then was because I was curious about the waves. I didn't know it was like a cliff in the water that went deep and deep until your eyes couldn't catch light of what was in the deepness :nb).

Last edited:
Likes Sophia
  • #1,256
  • #1,257
Psinter said:
There is a talk about a chocolate called Toblerone. They are saying it has less mass, but it costs the same to the consumers.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/09/world/europe/toblerone-triangle-change-uk.html?_r=0

I suppose their attempt to reduce cost for them will make them lose more if angry costumers stop buying it. Or not... who knows. Everybody likes chocolate.

I have never tried that chocolate though.
Yes, it's a huge debate. They explained that British pound lost its value after Brexit which translated to higher production cost.

I understand they decreased the size but it looks weird in the picture. You can evidently see that something is missing. They should have decreased the size of triangles, not increase gaps between them.

Likes Psinter
  • #1,258
Scott Pelley (CBS News) speaks on American democracy.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/scott-pelley-are-we-going-to-be-ok-election-2016-essay/
Do these words sum up, for you, the faults in these campaigns: “passionate partisanship, absurd judgment, and ambitious self-serving behavior?” If so, consider, those are the words John Adams used in 1776 to advocate for a constitution with three branches of government: Separate, equal, and hopelessly encumbered by hobbles known as checks and balances. James Madison called the separation of powers “the essential precaution in favor of liberty.”

Likes Ibix
  • #1,259
Sophia said:
Yes, it's a huge debate. They explained that British pound lost its value after Brexit which translated to higher production cost.

I understand they decreased the size but it looks weird in the picture. You can evidently see that something is missing. They should have decreased the size of triangles, not increase gaps between them.
I tend to think size of current packaging (supply on hand or order commitments) and the visual affect on the consumer is why the design is what it is. :smile:

• #1,260
The separation of powers is only relevant when the different branches of government are in the hands of different parties.
That is not the case when the executive branch and the legislative branch are fully controlled by one power and the judicial branch will probably soon be following.