What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #1,261
Engineering: https://imgur.com/gallery/pkvTi

This looks pretty cool. I most definitely wanted this. Then I looked at the price tag and said: It's okay, I don't want it.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,262
Psinter said:

This looks pretty cool. I most definitely wanted this. Then I looked at the price tag and said: It's okay, I don't want it.
Reminds me that I have a Carette hot air engine (used to be my grandfather's) which I bring out about once a decade. It looks exactly like this one:
ce640eab79806af047a58cd4a4fff752.jpg

Likes Psinter
  • #1,263
Psinter said:

Jonathan Scott said:
Reminds me that I have a Carette hot air engine (used to be my grandfather's) which I bring out about once a decade. It looks exactly like this one:

Within five minutes after I've read your posts, I've found this:

http://phys.org/news/2016-11-18th-century-steam-physicists-quantum-breakthrough.html

Is there a conspiracy under way? The steam engine insurrection? The apostles of James?

Likes Psinter
  • #1,265
Jonathan Scott said:
ce640eab79806af047a58cd4a4fff752.jpg
That looks pretty cool :smile:. I like it. Mechanisms call my attention.

• #1,266
jim hardy said:
Had a lot of chaos lately. Adding a guest house for kids and grandkids' summer visits . If my posts have seemed scrambled, well, probably they were.

Had good help,
[...]

but we sure tore up the yard running electric and water to it.View attachment 108556

Whew glad that part is done !
Hand dug trenches. Somebody doesn't mind hard work.

• #1,267
there more thoughts than there are words to express them.

• #1,268
Likes DennisN, mheslep and Tsu
  • #1,269
PF has some serious side effects. They wrote something with lead on the news channel and I have read lead.

• #1,270
Krylov said:
It sounds nice. The old proof was rather dull.
Just wanted to say: Thank you! - without spoiling the original thread. You made my day, I'm still laughing.

Last edited:
  • #1,271
A number of posts were deleted because they were reported for being political. If your post disappeared, that is why.

Likes Bystander
  • #1,272
Back on October 16, Annie Schmidt went hiking, then disappeared. Her car was found unattended. Apparently she went for a hike.

Sadly, her remains were found at the base of one of the ridges at Munra Point.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4575101-155/body-found-in-oregon-likely-is
http://www.sltrib.com/news/4577402-155/oregon-medical-examiner-identifies-remains-as

Munra Point has some wonderful views of the Columbia River Gorge, but it is a dangerous place.
https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Munra_Point_from_Yeon_Trailhead_Hike

WARNING

Munra is a non-maintained trail. Hikers have been seriously injured falling from the summit ridges. Use extreme caution near the summit of Munra and do not climb the chimney to the summit ridge unless you will be able to safely climb back down unassisted.

• #1,273
Just in case one needs to know this, or if someone stops and asks one while one is strolling along the Avenue des Champs-Élysées or main street in Улаанбаатар.

Find out about the lighthouses and beacons outside our harbour limits that are owned and maintained by Maritime New Zealand.
http://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/public/history/lighthouses/

Cape Campbell lighthouse - http://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/public/history/lighthouses/Cape-Campbell/

• #1,274
This woman at Wendy's right across from me was dipping her fries on a chocolate smoothie. I thought she was just trying to be/appear shocking, so I followed up by dipping my hamburger in my coke -- yikes, not worth the (possible) shock effect..

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,275
WWGD said:
This woman at Wendy's right across from me was dipping her fries on a chocolate smoothie. I thought she was just trying to be/appear shocking, so I followed up by dipping my hamburger in my coke -- yikes, not worth the (possible) shock effect..
Ha ha! :DD That made me laugh.

Seriously though, Wendy's has marketed the acceptance of eating their Frosty® product with french fries for years [decades] now. Here is an example of one ad, but it's not the first:

• #1,276
WWGD said:
Ever since I've heard about Haggis and fried Mars bars there's nothing left to shock me. But you know, that you're strengthening existing prejudices?

• #1,277
I hate it when people say things like "you got your work cut out for you." WTF? I was up all night yesterday writing a paper for submission to an academic conference on neural networks thinking that my lab director would say, "hey, this looks great, let's go with it." Instead, he marked up the paper like there's no tomorrow, told me I had to re-write about half of it, get the font and formatting right, create visuospatial figures and graphs, all by noon today!

So I asked him if he wanted to see me in the morning (today about this time, east coast 8am). Guess what his answer was? It was no, you've got your work cut out for you today.

Oh thanks.

• #1,278
Sounds familiar. My suspicion is, that to whomever you hand your paper in which ever condition it is, he will have something to correct. I often thought, they would even completely redesign their own work if they didn't know. I once suggested the following general rules:
  • Write it in a way students would understand it. Then remove every line except those divisible by three.
  • Insert obvious weaknesses which can either be easily repaired or dropped out. That distracts them from ruining the good stuff.

• #1,279
fresh_42 said:
Sounds familiar.

Thanks for the input. I'm new at this graduate student stuff. I stayed up all night writing this submission because I really wanted to impress him in a big way so he felt like he was glad he hired me. I fully expected his jaw to drop and to only offer suggestions on minor revisions. He basically offered me faint praise and wanted a complete re-write. So welcome to the machine, I guess.

• #1,280
I have a sore throat as usually at this time of year.
I went to website of certain medication for this issue and what surprised me is the math formula they use as their central logo/marketing signature.

The formula is
3x3+4

They want to say that they have three forms (candy, spray and mouthwash solution). Each of these comes in 4 flavours and works against 3 things (inflammation, bacteria, pain).

Shouldn't there be times 4 instead of plus? I guess they want to say that each of the flavours in all 3 forms has these 3 benefits. I really suck at maths but something seems to be wrong there

• #1,281
phinds said:
There could be unicorns but since nobody's ever seen one, we don't discuss them on this forum.
:cry::cry::cry:

Sorry @phinds - couldn't resist.

Likes phinds
  • #1,283
I think my winter will turn out less dull now... I am going to play this game. :woot:

Ping @ZapperZ , and everybody else who like theme parks... a new theme park simulation game (construction and management simulation):

Trailer:

On Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Coaster
And another video is here.

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,284
This new thread: "What is the Great Attractor?"

It is so hard, so da... hard. Not one, not two, half a dozens of ... it is so hard not to ... so hard ...

• #1,285
There are octonions. There are quaternions. It's time to call complex numbers secondions and the reals primions.

Likes Bystander and DennisN
  • #1,287
Seems like one of these examples when economists knew better than their engineers ...

• #1,288
  • #1,289
19:24 - pretty close

• #1,290
I just saw this miniseries (4 episodes), I liked it a lot:
Tutankhamun (2016)
"Archaeologist Howard Carter (Max Irons) stumbles upon evidence of an undiscovered tomb of one of Egypt's forgotten Pharaohs, Tutankhamun. His peers, however, scorn it as being impossible, save for one man: the wealthy Lord Carnarvon (Sam Neill), a born gambler and thrill-seeker, who agrees to fund Carter's digs."
Trailer:

• #1,291
A couple of hours ago, when plunged abruptly into darkness...

Oh, it's a power cut. Never mind, I have plenty of flashlights, and by anti-Murphy's law I recharged all the batteries yesterday.

So until the power comes back, I'll just... no, that won't work, I'll just... no, that's no use either. Help! No internet! (And I don't have mobile data).

So I'll go outside in the freezing but clear weather (coldest day this year so far at -3C) and look at stars for a while. Don't often get the chance. Saw Andromeda galaxy - not often possible around here.

(Power came back after a little more than an hour).

Likes collinsmark, beamie564, Sophia and 2 others
  • #1,292
I have the impression that my life is not random-enough: I have run into way more people who are ## 3\sigma ## taller than average than into people who are smaller than average by the same amount.

• #1,293
WWGD said:
I have the impression that my life is not random-enough: I have run into way more people who are ## 3\sigma ## taller than average than into people who are smaller than average by the same amount.
OK, we can meet sometime, I'll improve your statistics :-p

Likes WWGD
  • #1,294
Sophia said:
OK, we can meet sometime, I'll improve your statistics :-p
Thanks, but a bit too late -- I just ran into the local basketball team.

Likes Sophia and fresh_42
  • #1,295
WWGD said:
Thanks, but a bit too late -- I just ran into the local basketball team.
I've searched for dwarfs where @Sophia lives, but haven't found any. However, their fairy tales are full of diminutives, so there is still a good chance to improve your statistics.