What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #3,221
It was no use taking the cat to the vet: the lupins had done a better job than poison ivy [ M. Python sketch , "Dennis Moore" a.k.a. Robin Hood ]

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,222
I know a Vietnam Vet who practices here. Maybe the Vietnam part refers to where he got his degree. He has these flashbacks, drives to the airport and takes a flight to Canada every time he hears the word 'Vietnam'.

Likes Janosh89
  • #3,223
I am still trying to pin down when and how I end up being able to internalize certain ideas/knowledge. There are some things that just do not seem to register by effort and I must wait until my brain/mind somehow absorbs them. I have no clue of how this works.

• #3,224
TWAIN - Technology Without an Interesting Name. :oldlaugh:

• #3,225
Psinter said:
TWAIN - Technology Without an Interesting Name. :oldlaugh:
I took the Twain , to get to wauk .

• #3,226
WWGD said:
I took the Twain , to get to wauk .
*giggles*

What's/where's waku?

• #3,227
Psinter said:
*giggles*

What's/where's waku?
Unfortunately, no stable job for a while, just bits hew and thew.

Likes Psinter
  • #3,228
WWGD said:
Unfortunately, no stable job for a while, just bits hew and thew.
I still don't get it. :doh:

• #3,229
Psinter said:
I still don't get it. :doh:
Just a way of mispronouncing (mister-pronouncing, given today's issues?): hew:=here, thew: there

Likes Psinter
  • #3,230
WWGD said:
I am still trying to pin down when and how I end up being able to internalize certain ideas/knowledge. There are some things that just do not seem to register by effort and I must wait until my brain/mind somehow absorbs them. I have no clue of how this works.

Thinking is a lot like riding a bicycle or dancing. Our brain has to get accustomed to the necessary 'movements' to make a new train of thought executable.

Likes Psinter, Ibix and WWGD
  • #3,231
WWGD said:
Just a way of mispronouncing (mister-pronouncing, given today's issues?): hew:=here, thew: there
And, of course, Twain:= Train.

Likes Psinter
  • #3,232
Borg said:
When I'm at the doctor's office and they ask me if I'm allergic to anything, I answer "just poison". It stops them dead in their tracks every time as they try to process that. :oldtongue:
A friend's doctor apparently once told her that amputation at the neck cures most medical problems. I suggested that she reply "except for a slight attack of death", but I don't know if she ever did.

• #3,233
WWGD said:
I find information needs some kind of framework to sit in if it's to stay in my brain. Agreeing holiday dates with my wife used to be dreadful because she'd say stuff like "how about the 25th July to 1st August" and I would have no idea how far in the future that was or how long it was or anything. The raw dates seem to mean something to her. I just can't process it that way. Now I've learned that I need to have a calendar in front of me. I have a good idea what my work "looks like" and I can check dates against that as long as I have a table of dates in front of me.

I think it's why I like science and programming. It's all structured information; it fits together and reinforces itself.

Likes Psinter and WWGD
  • #3,234
Best thing I've read today:

Q: "HOW you have soared these past years to the top?"
A: [Olga Peretyatko] "Top doesn't exist!"

• #3,235
fresh_42 said:
Best thing I've read today:

Q: "HOW you have soared these past years to the top?"
A: [Olga Peretyatko] "Top doesn't exist!"
I remember receiving a message from a secretary from school saying that due
to weather, last day of classes had been canceled.

So there will be no last day. Feed that into a program!

• #3,236
WWGD said:
I remember receiving a message from a secretary from school saying that due
to weather, last day of classes had been canceled.

So there will be no last day. Feed that into a program!
Imagine we replied: "Assuming AC or not?" Could be a difficult discussion afterwards.
Or what happens to the Mormons and their spin-offs?

• #3,237
We often guide students in the transition from school to university or self study and tell them which fields are absolutely necessary, especially the mathematical ones. But I haven't read the most important advice of all. Never. Nobody thinks about it. Just sloppy. Dereliction of duty. They should by no means forget to learn as most as they can about Monty Python, Kafka and the Hitchhiker.

• #3,238
fresh_42 said:
Imagine we replied: "Assuming AC or not?" ?

Only in the worse , hottest Summer days ;).

• #3,239
fresh_42 said:
and tell them which fields are absolutely necessary, especially the mathematical ones.
Student: Professor, what of this is important for the exam?
Mathematics Professor: Nooooooo! You don't ask that! All of it! All of it is important! :mad:
Student: :olduhh:
funny-yellow-highlighter-book-marker.jpg
:oldlaugh:

Attachments

• funny-yellow-highlighter-book-marker.jpg
    funny-yellow-highlighter-book-marker.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 282
  • #3,240
Ibix said:
I find information needs some kind of framework to sit in if it's to stay in my brain.
Similarly, the days in English have no definition in my mind. Like, if someone says the name of a day in my language, it is associated with data, but in English... NullPointerException. :biggrin:

Say we have a meeting this Thursday and I have to enumerate the days and map them to the name of the days in my language for it to have meaning. I start like: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thurs... Got it. Now I know when Thursday is. :doh:

• #3,241
Ibix said:
I find information needs some kind of framework to sit in if it's to stay in my brain. Agreeing holiday dates with my wife used to be dreadful because she'd say stuff like "how about the 25th July to 1st August" and I would have no idea how far in the future that was or how long it was or anything. The raw dates seem to mean something to her. I just can't process it that way. Now I've learned that I need to have a calendar in front of me. I have a good idea what my work "looks like" and I can check dates against that as long as I have a table of dates in front of me.

I think it's why I like science and programming. It's all structured information; it fits together and reinforces itself.
I agree with you and others in this regard, but there also seem to be some mindsets where the mind is particularly receptive and can absorb just-about anything while in them. I have tried to understand these states better so I can put myself in them , but I have not gotten very far in this regard. Mayble alpha?

• #3,242
WWGD said:
... there also seem to be some mindsets where the mind is particularly receptive and can absorb just-about anything while in them. I have tried to understand these states better so I can put myself in them ...
You mean a toddler?

• #3,243
fresh_42 said:
You mean a toddler?
? No, states of mind. I guess ##\alpha, \beta ## , etc. Mental states where/when you can absorb anything. But these states set in without any (conscious) control, and only maybe people with very specialized skills can consciously enter into them or trigger them.

• #3,244
I think we're usually in such a state as long as we're younger than, say 6, maybe sometimes a little bit more. From there on ... To achieve something you've described, we would probably need a good portion of a Tibetan monk and eventually some chemicals. It's not really a western state of mind.

• #3,245
fresh_42 said:
I think we're usually in such a state as long as we're younger than, say 6, maybe sometimes a little bit more. From there on ... To achieve something you've described, we would probably need a good portion of a Tibetan monk and eventually some chemicals. It's not really a western state of mind.
Seems kind of cruel that toddlers have the needed state of mind but not the necessary knowledge/context and viceversa for adults.

• #3,246
55 m to go and I'll approach this state of mind :biggrin:

• #3,247
They have a street called "Prince St". I suggest having a cross street called " The Revolution", so that you can be at "Prince and the Revolution" . They also have a street name " Spring St" , where they could have a business called "een", so it is Spring St een (Bruce).

• #3,248
How about a bar in NYC named "99 Bottles of Beer"? Probably not financeable at this location, though.

• #3,249
fresh_42 said:
How about a bar in NYC named "99 Bottles of Beer"? Probably not financeable at this location, though.
I think they do have a place with a similar name. But my $ situation does not allow me to do much bar-hoping.

• #3,250
WWGD said:
I think they do have a place with a similar name. But my $ situation does not allow me to do much bar-hoping.
Just found a Random Road ... What must have happened to call it this way?

• #3,251
fresh_42 said:
It may be someone's last name, as in Random Publishers, which I think has the same origin. Sorry, it is Suntag Nicht and I am too lazy to do a (non-random) search for it.

• #3,252
Honest there's an intersection in Palm Beach "Prosperity Farms Road" and "Easy Street" ...

• #3,253
I can do some correlated subqueries and some aggregates but doing a combo of both ( including joins) took me like three weeks.Finding the sum of highest invoices of companies in each state. Fun but exhausting. Clearly not on Easy Street...;).

• #3,254
WWGD said:
it is Suntag Nicht

doch!

fresh_42 said:

First guess: Wilson's Algorithm of course.

Second guess: Drunkard's Walk?

• #3,255
Likes russ_watters