What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #3,186
Just deleted 1100 messages from my inbox. Plenty more garbage to clean; would make more sense to delete on-the-spot.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,187
[command][shift][j] is my inbox hero.

Likes BillTre
  • #3,188
OmCheeto said:
[command][shift][j] is my inbox hero.
Command? Is that a Mac thing?

• #3,189
WWGD said:
My guess was: shift to junk [somewhere]. but I tested it here, just in case ...

• #3,190
WWGD said:
Yes.
fresh_42 said:
My guess was: shift to junk [somewhere]. but I tested it here, just in case ...
It not only sends it to the "junk" file, but all future emails from that sender go straight to the junk file.

Likes WWGD and BillTre
  • #3,191
I'm not OCD, but that really is a neat manner to fold those socks: :approve:

*Psinter approves* :thumbup:

Edit (Changed picture for video)

Last edited:
  • #3,192
When I tell a person about one of my relative's death they will often say " I am sorry about that". Then I say:
"Why, were you the one who killed him/her ?" Not everyone seems to think it is funny. EDIT: I know it is a Non-Seq, but I just like the shock value.

• #3,193
I am in this Seinfeld-like situation where I frequent two street vendors (food, mostly Shiske-Bob ) and one seems upset when I buy from the other. I end up walking extra blocks to avoid being seen when I eat at anyone of them.

• #3,194
WWGD said:
When I tell a person about one of my relative's death they will often say " I am sorry about that". Then I say:
"Why, were you the one who killed him/her ?" Not everyone seems to think it is funny. EDIT: I know it is a Non-Seq, but I just like the shock value.
I'm really concerned about your health, but anyway: stay away from rednecks!

• #3,195
WWGD said:
When I'm at the doctor's office and they ask me if I'm allergic to anything, I answer "just poison". It stops them dead in their tracks every time as they try to process that. :oldtongue:

Likes WWGD
  • #3,196
Borg said:
When I'm at the doctor's office and they ask me if I'm allergic to anything, I answer "just poison". It stops them dead in their tracks every time as they try to process that. :oldtongue:
Do you answer to the question, whether there have been mental problems in your family with a list of dead relatives?

• #3,197
fresh_42 said:
Do you answer to the question, whether there have been mental problems in your family with a list of dead relatives?
But they're not dead yet.

• #3,198
Hi, I might be wayyyy off topic, but using sodium and capturing the Hydrogen released to create a fuel has to be possible. I think we are numb to think otherwise.

• #3,199
Borg said:
When I'm at the doctor's office and they ask me if I'm allergic to anything, .

I tell them "Only Poison Ivy". . Usually gets enthusiastic agreement and brightens the mood..

• #3,200
I think we are currently dumber than DaVinci, periodic tables, can we contain hydrogen.? Yes, why do we not use is always as it returns to the sea

• #3,201
Borg said:
But they're not dead yet.
... as long as nobody is allergic to shrubberies everything should be fine ...

Likes Borg
  • #3,202
Wecandothis said:
Hi, I might be wayyyy off topic, but using sodium and capturing the Hydrogen released to create a fuel has to be possible. I think we are numb to think otherwise.
And what energy source do you use to obtain the sodium from your source material? And why would it not be better to use that energy to produce hydrogen directly from water?
Hydrogen fuel cells are very promising as a power source for vehicles. But please can you take any further discussion of that topic to a more appropriate area, not random thoughts?

• #3,203
Hello,
In our thought?? my thought you simply take it from the ocean, not fresh water, but highly salt-sodium extract the sodium and use the remains as a coolant. Sorry, can you please direct me to a forum for random thoughts? the Ocean is there to use there is a purpose.

• #3,204
Wecandothis said:
Hello,
In our thought?? my thought you simply take it from the ocean, not fresh water, but highly salt-sodium extract the sodium and use the remains as a coolant. Sorry, can you please direct me to a forum for random thoughts? the Ocean is there to use there is a purpose.
Without any specific question, problem or suggestion, there is probably no appropriate forum for this. We already use desalination facilities, produce hydrogen by renewable energy sources and use them e.g. in cars and also use salt or oil as heat storage capacities. So I can't see anything new in your thought - random or not. It is just so, that this random thought forum is meant to be a kind of recreational area filled with thoughts which are unrelated to actual science.

• #3,205
Sodium metal reacts highly to freshwater.

• #3,206
Please don't beat me down, I am only a thinker

• #3,207
The desalinization facilities are old and full of toxic fluoride. and mate we need like the old greenhouses, we need them sucking water in , dribbling down a wall of plastic or rubber balls 4 inch thick with a cooling fan on the other side its reverse osmoses... hand on a beer it drips water, nothing new.

• #3,208
Borg said:
Been snake-bit so many times you made your own anti-toxin?

• #3,209
BillTre said:
Been snake-bit so many times you made your own anti-toxin?
I just like being unpredictable. :oldwink:

• #3,210
Borg said:

There are some doctors in my family. One of them is an Anesthesiologist. As part of the background work before surgery he (or a surgeon) will ask:
"Are there any drugs you are allergic to?"

A very common response:
"Milk and other dairy."

No joke.

• #3,211
StoneTemplePython said:
There are some doctors in my family. One of them is an Anesthesiologist. As part of the background work before surgery he (or a surgeon) will ask:

A very common response:
"Milk and other dairy."

No joke.
The anesthesiologist's (no)joke put me to sleep...

• #3,212
Borg said:
Maybe something else too, like gun shots?

Likes jim wolfe and Borg
  • #3,213
Wecandothis said:
Sodium metal reacts highly to freshwater.
Getting sodium metal out of water in the first place involves the reverse of a similarly energetic reaction. First you have to extract it from the water then separate it from the chloride (which can be done using large amounts of electricity to split molten salt giving sodium and chlorine). There are much more efficient ways to make hydrogen than extracting sodium and reacting it with water.

• #3,214
WWGD said:
The anesthesiologist's (no)joke put me to sleep...

I suppose I could one-up this, with a callback and a French twist to be:
= = = =
question:

response:
"Just poisson"

• #3,215
StoneTemplePython said:
= = = =
question:

response:
"Just poisson"
You could have spent at least an old, if not a rotten.

• #3,216
StoneTemplePython said:
= = = =
question:

response:
"Just poisson"
A propos poisson. The common Proto-Indo-European heritage "ghabh" which led to English "give" or German "Gabe" (=the given) also led to English "gift" and in some countries around the North Sea "Gift" (= poison). Strange, isn't it?

Likes WWGD
  • #3,217
fresh_42 said:
A propos poisson. The common Proto-Indo-European heritage "ghabh" which led to English "give" or German "Gabe" (=the given) also led to English "gift" and in some countries around the North Sea "Gift" (= poison). Strange, isn't it?
Ja wohl.

especially since most north sea countries are germanic... finde ich das auf interessant.
- - -
edit: das Gift = poison, in german no less.

Last edited:
  • #3,218
Yes, but the difference between a gift and Gift aka poison is somehow strange. I mean, o.k. both is given, but the consequences ...

• #3,219
fresh_42 said:
And the Snakes engage in Poison distribution.

• #3,220
Malala laments that Reuben Ben Ben-ami likes the banana narrative.