What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #3,361
Borg said:
If there was a spammer on the forum, it's hard to say how most people would react but I like to think that I would charge after him and click the Report button.
Well, yeah, but you're a collective and indifferent to individual harm. :smile:

Likes Bystander
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,362
phinds said:
Well, yeah, but you're a collective and indifferent to individual harm. :smile:
Even spammers have no usefulness in the collective.
If only we could find a way to waste their time like this:

A robot that has fun at telemarketers' expense.
Roger Anderson may not seem like a superhero. But to many, he has become one.
by night, he wages battles against evil telemarketers, tweaking and honing a robot that can talk endlessly to telemarketers, wasting their time so they don’t have to waste yours.
Enter the Jolly Roger Telephone Company. Whenever Mr. Anderson hears from a telemarketer, he patches the caller through to his robot, puts his phone on mute and let's his bot do the talking.

• #3,363
StoneTemplePython said:
Was trying to weave in lyrics from the song -- "Hand in my pocket".

- - - -
It sounded more clever before I finished my coffee
I always wanted a concert with Sheryl Crow, Counting Crows, Crowbar and Cameron Crow -- sponsored by Russell Crowe. All I got is the Petty Cash tour ( Roseanne Cash and Tom Petty).
EDIT: Oops, it seems this was not a Sheryl Crow song, but it sounds better with her and all the Crow- people.

Last edited:
  • #3,364
Listening to Disclosure - January ft Jamie Woon

• #3,365
Wonder if there is such a thing as a hypercrit, or just a crit. Still, as some have pointed out, there is such a thing as a minister (mini -ster) but not a maxister nor an ister.

• #3,366
WWGD said:
Wonder if there is such a thing as a hypercrit, or just a crit. Still, as some have pointed out, there is such a thing as a minister (mini -ster) but not a maxister nor an ister.
And this in a country where many think the ad-mini-stration is actually an ad-maxi-stration.

• #3,367
fresh_42 said:
And this in a country where many think the ad-mini-stration is actually an ad-maxi-stration.
Actually, the whole thing came about from someone asking why there existed the words " underwhelmed" , " overwhelmed" but not just plain " whelmed": I am whelmed at the situation.

Likes collinsmark
  • #3,368
WWGD said:
I am whelmed at the situation.
Well, you're sunk then :smile:

Likes WWGD
  • #3,369
phinds said:
Well, you're sunk then :smile:

Sure, then I will have a nice ( an ice) coffee to deal with that.

• #3,370
What happens when making typos in English is far more interesting. I've rarely seen a language so sensible on single letters (drops, order changes, insertions). Writing error correcting codes in English must be a nightmare.

• #3,371
fresh_42 said:
What happens when making typos in English is far more interesting. I've rarely seen a language so sensible on single letters (drops, order changes, insertions). Writing error correcting codes in English must be a nightmare.
Sure. Have an Ice Day.

• #3,372
WWGD said:
Sure. Have an Ice Day.
That was easy. You've probably been on whether.com that you new now ducking coal it's hear.

Likes Ibix
  • #3,373
WWGD said:
Actually, the whole thing came about from someone asking why there existed the words " underwhelmed" , " overwhelmed" but not just plain " whelmed": I am whelmed at the situation.
Also, people can be gormless but never gormful. "I have moderate quantities of gorm" also seems linguistically impossible.

• #3,374
Ibix said:
Also, people can be gormless but never gormful. "I have moderate quantities of gorm" also seems linguistically impossible.
Didn't the Composite (mini)ster address that?

• #3,375
Ibix said:
I think many people have actually big amounts of gorm.

• #3,376
fresh_42 said:
I have indefinite amounts, until I read the definition of gorm and find a way of measuring it. EDIT: I still think " Irregardless" takes the cake -- and eats it too.

• #3,377
Ouch, I hope I am (equivalent to) gormful, or at least not equivalent to gormless.

• #3,378
fresh_42 said:
That was easy. You've probably been on whether.com that you new now ducking coal it's hear.
No, that's the way people in Anctarctica's anti-global warming environmental station greet each other.

• #3,379
fresh_42 said:
There are a few gorm-free zones, too.
WWGD said:
I still think " Irregardless" takes the cake -- and eats it too.
Anybody tells me they want to go ahead with something irregardless, I tell them to hang fire on that.

• #3,380
Ibix said:
There are a few gorm-free zones, too.
Anybody tells me they want to go ahead with something irregardless, I tell them to hang fire on that.
Including the composite ( non-prime) minister?

Any minister who is not a prime minister must be composite.

• #3,381
WWGD said:
Including the composite ( non-prime) minister?

Any minister who is not a prime minister must be composite.
I have a feeling there's a maths joke I'm missing here. But yes, all politicians are composite. They're at least 50% human. Most of them.

• #3,382
Ibix said:
I have a feeling there's a maths joke I'm missing here. But yes, all politicians are composite. They're at least 50% human. Most of them.
My part-time job is explaining Math jokes. The comments I get are...I wish you had not explained that, it is worse than it first sounded.

• #3,383
Ibix said:
Anybody tells me they want to go ahead with something irregardless
I just thought, if you answered "I know!" whether anybody would recognize the insult.

• #3,384
fresh_42 said:
I just thought, if you answered "I know!" whether anybody would recognize the insult.
I must admit I haven't recognised that one...

• #3,385
Ibix said:
I must admit I haven't recognised that one...
Maybe I'm wrong, I set it equal to regardless, meaning "more than regardless", and if we go ahead with something without regard, that doesn't sound smart.

Likes Ibix
  • #3,386
fresh_42 said:
Maybe I'm wrong, I set it equal to regardless, meaning "more than regardless", and if we go ahead with something without regard, that doesn't sound smart.
Please move this to the " Jokes Explained" Forum, Fresh_meister.

• #3,387
WWGD said:
Please move this to the " Jokes Explained" Forum, Fresh_meister.
This is similar to another set phrase people use to say on birthdays, and which I always considered as a curse: "Stay as you are!" Hell, no, this excludes development and improvement!

• #3,388
I am trying to record a slow clap and use it as a wake up alarm.

• #3,389
WWGD said:
I am trying to record a slow clap and use it as a wake up alarm.
Be careful with rhythms. I once used techno as wake up channel with the result, that my heart frequency adjusted to the beat and I've slept even better. :cool:

• #3,390
I need some assistance. My wife and her co-workers are constantly swamped with so many overlapping meetings that they don't even get time for lunch. They've tried blocking out time for lunch on their calendar but others see that as an open invitation to schedule their meeting. I want to come up with an official sounding meeting name that has the acronym of LUNCH. Any ideas?

• #3,391
I like BS-Bingo. Unfortunately, I assume lunatic is out of competition. To know the branch would have helped.
Here's my proposal for the banking sector:

Leverage
under
non-standard
conditional
home-markets

For more science related topics, one could replace the last one by hypotheses.

Likes Borg
  • #3,392
I'm trying to say lunch without actually saying it. I sent this one to my wife:

Longitudinal
Users
Nonworking
Considerations
Huddle

Likes BillTre
  • #3,393
Aliments in the workplace

Likes dlgoff