What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #3,396
Google "early 20th century american astronomers" with the quotation marks. Sehr interessant.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,397
What do you mean? I know that my English punctuation isn't the best :sorry:
upload_2018-3-1_20-58-52.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-1_20-58-52.png
    upload_2018-3-1_20-58-52.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 287
  • #3,398
fresh_42 said:
What do you mean?
I really was looking for early 20th century American astronomers, not grammar lessons.

• #3,400
This guy asks me directions in the subway. I repeat patiently for almost 10 minutes. Then he just walks out of the station ?

Likes StoneTemplePython
  • #3,401
fresh_42 said:
good old Wiki?
American. Here I've finally accepted that computers/search engines can do my sorting for me, and I have to do it? It seems like an appropriately constrained inquiry/search, and such an incongruous result. Perhaps it's a function of political correctness.

• #3,402
Bystander said:
American. Here I've finally accepted that computers/search engines can do my sorting for me, and I have to do it? It seems like an appropriately constrained inquiry/search, and such an incongruous result. Perhaps it's a function of political correctness.
Remember that Google customizes searches using your search history.

• #3,404
fresh_42 said:
astronomers+USA+19th
Still forgetting the "plus" syntax; get a whole different set of results. Use it all the time for "imdb."

• #3,405
WWGD said:
And/or to find the name of their favorite artist: actor/singer, etc. Do a search for any name ; when you enter a first name, Google will most likely suggest the last name of an artist. Similar for searches of any sort. EDIT: Re reinforcing prejudices, you have Google contributing to that: it tracks your search history and gives you results that somehow " best fit" your previous searches. It then keeps you in a small neighborhood of your experience set, of your previous searches.

WWGD said:
Remember that Google customizes searches using your search history.
Always make a point of moving past Google's "lazy/customized/assumed" approach.

• #3,406
Bystander said:
Always make a point of moving past Google's "lazy/customized/assumed" approach.
How so? How do you do it? EDIT: Other than using a different search engine?

• #3,407
WWGD said:
How so? How do you do it?
Keep typing until it's no longer offering the auto-completions.

• #3,408
Bystander said:
Keep typing until it's no longer offering the auto-completions.
I always thought of how far down the answer you are looking for as a measure of how close to the mainstream you are: If what you are looking for is in the first listing, you are _the_ mainstream. If you repeatedly need to scroll down, you are pretty far away from the mainstream.

• #3,409
WWGD said:
I always thought of how far down the answer you are looking for as a measure of how close to the mainstream you are: If what you are looking for is in the first listing, you are _the_ mainstream. If you repeatedly need to scroll down, you are pretty far away from the mainstream.
I regularly use Google as a connection test. Therefore I use words which guarantee me answers. Not the words I'm usually searching for.
My reputation at Google is definitely ruined.

• #3,410
There are obviously as many ways "to google" as there are "googlers."

• #3,411
I am remembering a nice sequence that generates all composites: S_n := 1+2+...+n ( Not easy to see without the closed form).

I remember I tried to determine a while back whether ##10^n+1 ; n>2 ## was always composite. Can't remember if I did or whether it is true. EDIT/UPDATE: True thru around n=45. My programming is too primitive to even do this. This means that in lazy, impatient Math, it _is_ true. EDIT2: It seems to be an open problem.

Last edited:
  • #3,412
Bystander said:
There are obviously as many ways "to google" as there are "googlers."
I most often " Duck-Duckgo" instead of Googling. But I tend to get poor quality results from Google searches.

• #3,413
darnit. I forgot to be no PF again.

hello

• #3,414
fresh_42 said:
I regularly use Google as a connection test. Therefore I use words which guarantee me answers. Not the words I'm usually searching for.
My reputation at Google is definitely ruined.

BTW a word or phrase for which there is no google result is called a Googlenope

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Googlenope

I just got one with "effervescent peach berries"

One for which there is only one result is called a Goolewhack: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Googlewhack

I don't know even where to start...

• #3,415
Googlenope du jour -
the YAHOO spammers that are harassing me "honanmolviantebeauties.com"

i'm about to set an email filter to automatically forward them all to CEO of Yahoo's parent company Verizon, one Lowell McAdam

Likes Ibix
  • #3,416
dkotschessaa said:
darnit. I forgot to be no PF again.

hello
Hello! Life getting in the way of important stuff like PF?

• #3,417
Had a surprisingly bad night (woken several times by acid indigestion) a couple of nights ago. Today my wife picked up a magazine off the the coffee table and a ranitidine tablet fell off it, somehow having been hidden in the illustration on the front. It's good to know the explanation for the bad night; medication works better if you actually take it.

Likes BillTre
  • #3,418
Jonathan Scott said:
medication works better if you actually take it.
No kidding?:olduhh:

• #3,419
Would be nicely isomorphic if Demetrius' younger brother was called Decentimetrius. I offered to name my brother's son Denefiu , given the daughter ( my niece) was called Denise. Denise and Denefiu. I think I would never forget their names.

• #3,420
They claim the word "paying" in "paying attention" is used because the process of attending uses up resources ( so one must pay with resources). But why, then, is the word "pay" or equivalent not used in all languages?

• #3,421
WWGD said:
They claim the word "paying" in "paying attention" is used because the process of attending uses up resources ( so one must pay with resources). But why, then, is the word "pay" or equivalent not used in all languages?
It's cheaper here. Unfortunately there is no good English word for "handover a present" so I can't translate it. In a sense, it is also an act of paying something, we just skip the buying process before we give it away for free.

• #3,422
fresh_42 said:
It's cheaper here. Unfortunately there is no good English word for "handover a present" so I can't translate it. In a sense, it is also an act of paying something, we just skip the buying process before we give it away for free.
Germans are more attentive/ focused?

• #3,424
WWGD said:
Germans are more attentive/ focused?
Before or after ADHS has been invented?

• #3,425
pay (v.)

c. 1200, "to appease, pacify, satisfy," from Old French paier "to pay, pay up" (12c., Modern French payer), from Latin pacare "to please, pacify, satisfy" (in Medieval Latin especially "satisfy a creditor"), literally "make peaceful," from pax (genitive pacis) "peace" (see peace).Paid; paying.
https://www.etymonline.com/word/pay (Douglas Harper)

• #3,426
fresh_42 said:
Before or after ADHS has been invented?
IDK. "Blondes have more Fun" sounds better than " Germans pay more Attention". ( And I guess German Blondes pay more Attention _and_ have more fun".

• #3,427
WWGD said:
IDK. "Blondes have more Fun" sounds better than " Germans pay more Attention". ( And I guess German Blondes pay more Attention _and_ have more fun".
We don't pay for attention, we give it as a present (Aufmerksamkeit schenken). But as said, there is no English word for schenken, only more or less bad substitutions as give or present which mean something completely different in the first place. Schenken is something you do with a birthday present for somebody else.

• #3,428
fresh_42 said:
We don't pay for attention, we give it as a present (Aufmerksamkeit schenken). But as said, there is no English word for schenken, only more or less bad substitutions as give or present which mean something completely different in the first place. Schenken is something you do with a birthday present for somebody else.
But you're not answering my question: " Do German Blondes have more fun ( while giving you attention)"?

• #3,429
Don't shanken too much attention, I am monkeying around.

• #3,430
WWGD said:
But you're not answering my question: " Do German Blondes have more fun ( while giving you attention)"?
While giving me attention? Of course, natürlich, bien sure, naturalmente! However, I'm not a fan of Blondes. Do you know the yellow strip between the lanes on a country road? That's my list of bad experiences with Blondes. So, maybe they have more fun, but I don't hope so.

Likes WWGD