What were the consequences of Israel's attack on the Gaza Aid Flotilla?

• News
  • Thread starter TubbaBlubba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ship
In summary, a group of peace advocates organized a convoy to ship supplies to Gaza, but Israel's military attacked the vessels on international waters, resulting in injuries and deaths. The details of the incident are still unclear, but it has sparked controversy and criticism towards Israel's actions. The organizers of the convoy had hoped for a reaction from Israel, and the IDF claims that the activists on board instigated the violence. This event was not unexpected, as Israel had announced earlier that they would prevent the ships from reaching Gaza.
But then again, someone did just point out that Hamas is now refusing to let the tons of aid into Gaza.

Perhaps that's the next plan. Skinny down the kids.

Photo martyrdom opportunity #2.

Physics news on Phys.org
OmCheeto said:
But then again, someone did just point out that Hamas is now refusing to let the tons of aid into Gaza.

Perhaps that's the next plan. Skinny down the kids.

Photo martyrdom opportunity #2.

Yeah, I don't get what Hamas is doing now. They want to antagonize their own people too?

ps. I was going to use an image of holocaust kids above:

holocaust_children.jpg

But I decided that I might be accused of being biased towards Israel if I did that.

Someone actually had the audacity on Facebook-Al Jazeera of saying the "The Jews went back to Israel because they were made homeless in Europe." I corrected them; "They were not made homeless, they were slaughtered."

Sorry, but what do those images have to do with anything... ?

Ah ha! There it was:
Zowie said:
Om, there is enough space in Palesine. none of Palestinians I know want to dislocarse Israeli settlers. they just want to live as humans. they can live together
23 May at 13:35

Om said:
Zowie, that's not the message we are hearing in the west. We hear that the Arabs want all Israelis gone.

But we are far away and generally do not know any Palestinians. We know lots of Christians, Jews, and Muslims, and we seem to get along quite well here. But we do not know any Palestinians.

I've looked at Israel on Google Earth from outer space. You cannot see it in comparison to the rest of your hemisphere. If you get closer, you see the borders imposed by the west, back in the olden days. You also see wide areas of land outside of Gaza in Egypt that are basically empty.

It might be a good time right now, to redefine the borders. I mean really, when was the last time America had a president of African decent?

Change should not be feared, when good can come of it.
23 May at 14:12

Last edited:
Werg22 said:
Getting back to the topic: a 19 year old American citizen was killed in the debacle. Reportedly, they were shot 4 times in the head, and once in the chest, at close range. This definitely smells like foul play on the part of IDF. Source:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2010/06/03/2010-06-03_american_citizen_among_dead_in_botched_israeli_raid_of_gazabound_flotilla.html"

Why foul play?

If the 9 persons had had a single bullet wound in the back of their heads, THEN I'd say foul play.

But in a messy scuffle, people fighting everywhere, 4 guys seeing a friend in need from somebody atop of him, and they all fire at him, as well as their friend, then the assailant will end up dead from an over-abundance of bullet, most of them from..VERY SHORT RANGE, indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
TubbaBlubba said:
Sorry, but what do those images have to do with anything... ?

Everything young Tub. Everything.

TubbaBlubba said:
Similar to what I've heard, that only the rich have the luxury of available food.

Nonsense.

Starvation symptoms will be apparent after one week, not imperceptibly over 3 years.

This is a biological..fact.

arildno said:
Nonsense.

Starvation symptoms will be apparent after one week, not imperceptibly over 3 years.

This is a biological..fact.

What I mean is ENOUGH food. Certainly, they may survive, but they hardly live a good life. According to the UN, 61% COMPLETELY rely on supplies... which also according to the UN, there's nowhere near enough of.

OmCheeto: Looks like you're trying to pull off the "These people have it worse, so these guys have it just fine!" show. I've never quite liked it.

TubbaBlubba said:
Yeah, I don't get what Hamas is doing now. They want to antagonize their own people too?

Why should Hamas be hated by mistreating their populace??

That is NOT correct psychology..

People hate those they have some hope fighting&winning over, not those they are REALLY scared of...

I have made a thread upon this previously:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=294415&highlight=stabilizing+terror

arildno said:
Why should Hamas be hated by mistreating their populace??

That is NOT correct psychology..

People hate those they have some hope fighting&winning over, not those they are REALLY scared of...

I have made a thread upon this previously:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=294415&highlight=stabilizing+terror

I REALLY don't think the Palestinians have much hope of winning over Israel. I don't think Hamas does, either. If they do, they are QUITE detached from reality.

TubbaBlubba said:
What I mean is ENOUGH food. Certainly, they may survive, but they hardly live a good life. According to the UN, 61% COMPLETELY rely on supplies... which also according to the UN, there's nowhere near enough of.

OmCheeto: Looks like you're trying to pull off the "These people have it worse, so these guys have it just fine!" show. I've never quite liked it.

The point is if they completely rely on supplies, and there is only a quarter of the necessary supplies, this means people should be starving to death

Office_Shredder said:
The point is if they completely rely on supplies, and there is only a quarter of the necessary supplies, this means people should be starving to death

That brings us into another question that's bugging me. What is the qualitative properties of these "supplies" and which are in short... supply? (no pun intended). A ton of rice is a hell of a lot more than a ton of concrete.

TubbaBlubba said:

Did you even BOTHER to read the numerous stats I have provided for, for example, the infant mortality rates (IMR) in Gaza&West Bank compared to other countries??

Evidently not!

Here, I re-publish the one showing how the number of dead infants pr. 1000 live births is compared by OIC countries:
How do West Bank and Gaza compare with OIC members/countries with dominant Muslim population?

Here is the ranking list of 60 countries, IMR's per 1000 live births:

1. UAE: 7
2. Kuwait: 8.97
3. Saudi-Arabia: 11.57
4. Brunei: 12.27
5. Qatar: 12.66
6. Bahrain: 15.09
7. Malaysia: 15.87
8. WEST BANK: 15.96
9. Syria: 16.69
10. Oman: 16.88
11. Jordan: 17.38
12. GAZA: 18.35
13. Suriname: 18.81
14. Libya: 21.7
15. Lebanon: 21.82
16. Tunisia: 22.57
17. Uzbekistan: 23.43
18. Kazakhstan: 25.73
19. Turkey: 25.78
20. Egypt: 27.26
21. Algeria: 27.73
22. Maldives: 29.53
23. Morocco: 29.75
24. Indonesia: 29.97
25. Kyrgyzystan: 31.26
26. Iran: 35.78
27. Guyana: 39.11
28. Tajikistan: 41.03
29. Eritrea: 43.33
30. Iraq: 44.65
31. Turkmenistan: 45.36
32. Gabon: 51.78
33. Azerbaijan: 54.6
34. Mayotte: 56.29
35. Togo: 56.84
36. Djibouti: 58.33
37. Yemen: 58.4
38. Senegal: 58.94
39. Bangladesh: 59.02
40. Cameroon: 63.34
41. Mauretania: 63.42
42. Benin: 64.64
43. Uganda: 64.82
44. Guinea: 65.22
45. Comorros: 66.57
46. Pakistan: 67.36
47. Ivory Coast: 68.06
48. Gambia: 68.84
49. Western Sahara: 69.66
50. Sierra Leone: 81.86
51. Burkina Faso: 84.49
52. Nigeria: 94.35
53. Chad: 98.69
54. Guinea-Bissau: 99.82
55. Mozambique: 105.8
56. Somalia: 109.19
57. Mali: 115.86
58. Niger: 116.66
59. Afghanistan 153. 14

Gaza&West Bank is among the NOBILITY of the Muslim world, right up there with countries like Saudia-Arabia, Kuwait and United Arab Emirates

From what I have understood, they have a fairly working health care system. IMR:s don't say everything about life quality.

TubbaBlubba said:
I REALLY don't think the Palestinians have much hope of winning over Israel. I don't think Hamas does, either. If they do, they are QUITE detached from reality.

Not without the misguided help from people like you.

It is for people like you they stage these flotilla incident shams, and you swallow it, hook, line and sinker...

TubbaBlubba said:
From what I have understood, they have a fairly working health care system.

Oh, really?

Without medicines and food, as we are told?

Perhaps no doctors, either?

TubbaBlubba said:
From what I have understood, they have a fairly working health care system. IMR:s don't say everything about life quality.

Many of them receive medical care in Israel.

arildno said:
Not without the misguided help from people like you.

It is for people like you they stage these flotilla incident shams, and you swallow it, hook, line and sinker...

And once again the ad hominem attacks raid in. I was obviously referring to a MILITARY victory.

You also completely ignored the fact that I DO question exactly what is in short supply.

TubbaBlubba said:

How can you have a working healthcare system when nobody gets the necessary food to live a healthy life? And how do they get those medical supplies, make them? When they can't rebuild houses? Obviously they at least get enough medical aid

Another quality of life measurement, life span:
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2102rank.html

Gaza and the West bank both pull in right around the 100th ranking, with an average life span of 74 years. This puts them both above the median on that ranking

TubbaBlubba said:
And once again the ad hominem attacks raid in. I was obviously referring to a MILITARY victory.

You also completely ignored the fact that I DO question exactly what is in short supply.

"Winning over" someone rarely refers to a military victory

Office_Shredder said:
How can you have a working healthcare system when nobody gets the necessary food to live a healthy life? And how do they get those medical supplies, make them? When they can't rebuild houses? Obviously they at least get enough medical aid

Another quality of life measurement, life span:
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2102rank.html

Gaza and the West bank both pull in right around the 100th ranking, with an average life span of 74 years. This puts them both above the median on that ranking

*Sigh* Yes, this is exactly why I want to know WHICH supplies the UN considers them to be in need of.

Also, if they have low IRM, obviously their average life span will be higher.

TubbaBlubba said:
*Sigh* Yes, this is exactly why I want to know WHICH supplies the UN considers them to be in need of.

Unless they're suffering from malnutrition related health problems. I claimed that it was decided that there was enough food in Gaza, some people decided that it wasn't really setted, so the point now is to settle the issue. If you still need evidence that Gazans have food on the dinner table, let us know.

Going back to the flotilla aid, and whether they were carrying weapons:

Major David Elmaliach, also from the Gaza CLA, said that no guns, rockets or explosives were found on any of the ships.

TubbaBlubba said:

No, those figures are not in any significant amount inversely proportional quantities.
High incidence of untreated infectious diseases can very well reduce the average life span without adversely affecting IMR.

That is why BOTH such figures is regularly checked for.

Office_Shredder said:
Unless they're suffering from malnutrition related health problems. I claimed that it was decided that there was enough food in Gaza, some people decided that it wasn't really setted, so the point now is to settle the issue. If you still need evidence that Gazans have food on the dinner table, let us know.

Okay, let me rephrase:

If they're so well off, then why does the UN insist that they're not?

TubbaBlubba said:
Okay, let me rephrase:

When it comes to questions concerning Israel, and questions concerning Islam, UN is totally bankrupt.

That is evidenced by having countries like Saudi Arabia and Libya on its HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL!

Iran had to content itself with a position in the..WOMEN RIGHTS COMMISSION.

THAT is what the UN has degenerated into.

Well, I never liked the UN since... Oh, the Korea war or so. But I still think that they are usually fairly sensible when it comes to human rights. I really question why they would exaggerate the situation in Gaza.

TubbaBlubba said:
Well, I never liked the UN since... Oh, the Korea war or so. But I still think that they are usually fairly sensible when it comes to human rights.
Particularly in its choice of members on the Human Rights Council?

TubbaBlubba said:
Okay, let me rephrase:

They're probably referring to building supplies, but it's impossible to tell. I can't even figure out who the number came from, so I guess that's the end of discussing it

Last edited:
You guys do know that you can go onto the UN website and read the decisions and what all the Nations delegates said at various meetings and such right? Many nations outside of the middle east have made calls to increase aid available to the gaza strip. So I'm not sure how biased those opinions are.

I also am not sure what those opinions are based on in the first place, as it doesn't supply data.

But you CAN go to amnesty and look up data on there.(I'm pretty sure amnesty is another international group calling for increased aid.) I believe that these international groups just make a habit of constantly calling for increases in aid no matter the situation for many times I don't know what to believe. :-p.

TubbaBlubba said:
That brings us into another question that's bugging me. What is the qualitative properties of these "supplies" and which are in short... supply? (no pun intended). A ton of rice is a hell of a lot more than a ton of concrete.

They are complaining about the lack of concrete&coriander, in a previously linked to a Washington post article by me (in post 273):
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...6/02/AR2010060204687.html?sid=ST2010060204691

The final paragraph is VERY telling:
Gazans readily admit they are not going hungry. But that, they say, is the wrong benchmark for assessing their quality of life. While Gaza has long been poor, the economy has completely crumbled over the past three years.

Gazan workers, Shaban said, "used to be earning $100 per day, smoking Marlboros and going to Egypt every two months on vacation."

Now, he said, "I see people spending 10 hours a day for [$5] digging up stones."

How long have we heard about the awful plight of the Palestinians? For 2 years? For 5? More like for the last 60 years or so.

And now we learn, that in those years of horror and destitution, Gazan workers went on vacation to Egypt every two months...

Last edited:
Geigerclick said:
Hmm, concrete and coriander, or rocket attacks... let. me. think. I think I'll take the complaints.
You're welcome! :smile:

By the way, Geigerclick, in another thread we have reached a quandary as to the relative percentages of Ashkenazis and Sephardim/Mizrahi in Israel.

According to my wiki-source, there is a slight majority of Mizrahis among the Jews in Israel, while the other states there is a majority of Ashkenazis.

Presuming you're from Israel, do you have any more reliable figures than wiki-sources on this issue?

Last edited:
While the following statistic cannot, of course, be used to say anything about present-day material depredations in Gaza&West Bank, it speaks volumes about how terrible life have been there for the last six decades. Or perhaps..not:

Literacy rates:
1. Kuwait: 93.3%
2. GAZA 92.4%
3. WEST BANK: 92.4%
4. Jordan: 89.9%
5. Qatar: 89%
6. Turkey: 87.4%
7. Lebanon: 87.4%
8. Bahrain: 86.5%
9. Libya: 82.6%
10. Oman: 81.4%
11. Syria: 79.6%
12. Saudi-Arabia: 78.8%
13. UAE. 77.9%
14. Iran: 77%
15. Tunisia: 74.3%
16. Iraq: 74.1%
17. Egypt: 71.4%
18. Algeria: 69.9%
19. Morocco: 52.3%
20. Yemen: 50.2%
Compiled from indexmundi

92%? That seems a little high can it really be 92%? What reading level is that?

magpies said:
92%? That seems a little high can it really be 92%? What reading level is that?

Comparison numbers for Israel is 97.1%, and for the US, 99%

Check them for yourself

In collecting literacy data, many countries estimate the number of literate people based on self-reported data. Some use educational attainment data as a proxy, but measures of school attendance or grade completion may differ. Because definitions and data collection methods vary across countries, literacy estimates should be used with caution.