Which system to apply conservation of momentum to?

In summary, the question is whether conservation of angular momentum should be applied to the person, the swing, or the person-swing system. The angular momentum of the person-swing system is conserved, but the individual angular momentums of the person and the swing are not. The necessary torque for the person-swing system to maintain angular momentum comes from the force of static friction between the swing and the person's feet.
chris25
Homework Statement
A person stands on the seat of a swing and squats down, so that the distance between their center of mass (CM) and the swing’s pivot is L0. As the swing gets to the lowest point, the speed of their CM is V. At this moment, they quickly stand up, and thus decrease the distance from their CM to the swing’s pivot to L'. Immediately after they finish standing up, their CM speed is v0.
Relevant Equations
Comes from F=ma 2020b
Conservation of Angular Momentum
For this problem I was very confused whether conservation of angular momentum should be applied to the person, the swing or the person-swing system. It seems to me that there is no net torque on any of the three systems I listed above. However, it seems that the angular momentums of the three separates systems I listed cannot all be conserved simultaneously. Which system should I use, and for the systems wthere angular momentum is not conserved, where does the net torque come from? Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 10.56.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 10.56.57 PM.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 72
Physics news on Phys.org
If you take as your system the person + the swing, then the angular momentum of this system is conserved. As the person stands up, his/her/zes CM at its new radius must acquire a smaller angular velocity for the system's two components to continue moving as one. The torque that provides the needed angular acceleration opposite to the angular velocity comes from the force of static friction exerted by the swing on the person's soles. Of course an equal and opposite torque is exerted by the soles on the swing and the net torque on the two-component system is zero.

Likes chris25 and Lnewqban
kuruman said:
The torque that provides the needed angular acceleration opposite to the angular velocity comes from the force of static friction exerted by the swing on the person's soles
Not the soles, I think. Unless holding on to the ropes either side, the swinger would be thrown forwards off the seat.

Related to Which system to apply conservation of momentum to?

What is the conservation of momentum principle?

The conservation of momentum principle states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant if no external forces act on it. Momentum, which is the product of an object's mass and velocity, is conserved in both elastic and inelastic collisions.

How do I identify a closed system for applying conservation of momentum?

A closed system is one where no external forces act on the objects within the system. To identify a closed system, ensure that all forces acting on the objects are internal (e.g., forces between colliding objects) and that external influences (e.g., friction, gravity from outside the system) are negligible or balanced.

Can I apply conservation of momentum to systems with external forces?

Conservation of momentum can be applied to systems with external forces only if the net external force is zero or if the analysis is done over a very short time interval where the effect of external forces is negligible. Otherwise, the momentum of the system will change due to the external forces.

How do I choose the boundaries of the system for momentum conservation?

Choose the boundaries of the system such that all relevant interactions are included and external forces are minimized or balanced. The system should encompass all objects whose momentum you are analyzing, ensuring that internal forces are the primary interactions considered.

What are some common examples where conservation of momentum is applied?

Common examples include collisions (elastic and inelastic) between objects, explosions, and recoil situations. In these scenarios, defining a closed system allows for the application of the conservation of momentum principle to predict the final velocities and directions of the objects involved.