82-year-old who claims he has not had any food or water

• Thread starter phyzmatix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food Water
In summary, this man claims to have had no food or drink for 70 years, and may be able to survive without food or water for much longer.
rtved said:
'What is truly astonishing, and something we have no explanation for, is that he has not passed stools or urine. To my knowledge, that is medically unprecedented.’

Not only medically unprecedented, but medically IMPOSSIBLE.

An active biological organism will produce 'waste products"

Recycling can only exist on a very limited scale. There are significant TOXIC components of human waste that will kill the human if not eliminated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
If he fasted a couple of days first and cleared his bowels with a colonic, he'd have no stool.

Since for the first 5 days of the study he was not allowed bathing facilities he would not be able hide what he cleared from his ,errr ...Guts.

Last edited:
pallidin said:
Not only medically unprecedented, but medically IMPOSSIBLE.

An active biological organism will produce 'waste products"

Recycling can only exist on a very limited scale. There are significant TOXIC components of human waste that will kill the human if not eliminated.

Correct, And that is what makes it miraculous or an ingenious fraud.

The question is how the premier Defence organisation fell for it?.

rtved said:
Since for the first 5 days of the study he was not allowed Toilet facilities he would not be able hide what he cleared from his ,errr ...Guts.
I am talking about before he started the test.

rtved said:
Correct, And that is what makes it miraculous or an ingenious fraud.

The question is how the premier Defence organisation fell for it?.

Yeah, I hear you on that!
Perhaps some in their Defense Ministry have a less-than-scientific background, and some sort of cultural predisposition to a blind acceptance of the "bizarre"

pallidin said:
Yeah, I hear you on that!
Perhaps some in their Defense Ministry have a less-than-scientific background, and some sort of cultural predisposition to a blind acceptance of the "bizarre"

Possible, but highly unlikely.So, one has to wait for the Detailed report on results of tests conducted and peer review.

Evo said:
Looks like work by Dr Shaw is very questionable.

That was the point I was making. This is ridiculous, the man has had water, and his doctor is a fraud or a lunatic. This seems like a closed case to me.

rtved said:
Possible, but highly unlikely.So, one has to wait for the Detailed report on results of tests conducted and peer review.

Because they have religious beliefs they wish to see confirmed, or which lead them to believe this is possible? It does not seem a stretch to posit this. There will be no peer reviewed report that does not end with, "haha, you are kidding, are you not?"

rtved said:

I wonder if any international medical organization is allowed to independently study this.
Or, is this solely on "their" word.

If the latter becomes the case, it means nothing to most of us. Guess we'll see.

IcedEcliptic said:
Because they have religious beliefs they wish to see confirmed, or which lead them to believe this is possible? It does not seem a stretch to posit this.

Indeed, I tend to agree with you.

you guys are all going to be sorry when he either falls over dead or starts floating around his room on his carpet

rewebster said:
you guys are all going to be sorry when he either falls over dead or starts floating around his room on his carpet

I'm looking forward to it. He's a hoax.
Nothing tells me otherwise (in my opinion)

rewebster said:

At this point I can accept his death. :)

pallidin said:
I wonder if any international medical organization is allowed to independently study this.
Or, is this solely on "their" word.

As far as the report is concerned ,yes.
The Defense research organisation will do a three months study on the medical reports and comeout with a plausible explanation.

Mr prahlad is ready to be subjected to more tests if the scientific community beleives it to be of benefit to mankind.
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/on-fast-for-65-years-yogi-helps-military/114783-17.html?from=tn

If the latter becomes the case, it means nothing to most of us. Guess we'll see.

If for any reasons the defense organisation is not willing to share the results Mr prahlad is available(his own statement) for further study.

IcedEcliptic said:
Because they have religious beliefs they wish to see confirmed, or which lead them to believe this is possible?

If some one from DRDO wants his religious beleifs to be confirmed by this study he exposes himself to crucifixion :biggrin:

It does not seem a stretch to posit this. There will be no peer reviewed report that does not end with, "haha, you are kidding, are you not?"

Wait and see.

rtved said:
As far as the report is concerned ,yes.
The Defense research organisation will do a three months study on the medical reports and comeout with a plausible explanation.

Mr prahlad is ready to be subjected to more tests if the scientific community beleives it to be of benefit to mankind.
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/on-fast-for-65-years-yogi-helps-military/114783-17.html?from=tn

If for any reasons the defense organisation is not willing to share the results Mr prahlad is available(his own statement) for further study.

rtved, rt Vedas? Just a guess. I recall the american CIA undertaking many ridiculous experiments of the psychic, and less benign subjects such as chemical control. Why assume that a government agency is less gullible than a single person? They are gullible with money, and face to save.

IcedEcliptic said:
rtved, rt Vedas? Just a guess.

nope.Your guess is wrong.

I am more comfortable with something i can understand; say Ayurveda. :wink:

I recall the american CIA undertaking many ridiculous experiments of the psychic, and less benign subjects such as chemical control. Why assume that a government agency is less gullible than a single person?

If you say CIA is gullible then a similar organisation of India i.e. RAW is braindead and stupid.

This is a medical study.Plain and simple.I would once again say wait for the report.

IcedEcliptic said:
That was the point I was making. This is ridiculous, the man has had water, and his doctor is a fraud or a lunatic. This seems like a closed case to me.

You may like to check the info on posts 88 and 94.

rtved said:
nope.Your guess is wrong.

I am more comfortable with something i can understand; say Ayurveda. :wink:

If you say CIA is gullible then a similar organisation of India i.e. RAW is braindead and stupid.

This is a medical study.Plain and simple.I would once again say wait for the report.

We are all waiting, but now the question of the validity of this report is called into question. For instance, the CIA took their time in releasing their findings, and intelligence and armed services do not seek truth, but advantage.

rtved said:
A questionable medical study. I'm not holding my breath for the "results".

Borg said:
Ever heard of a http://www.thefreedictionary.com/joke" ? If people are serious, they will post a link. Do you have one that has the current status? It's been over two weeks since he started his fast and no updates have been posted on his status. Makes people wonder what's going on.
rtved said:
Here is the latest(link)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...ars-Why-eminent-doctors-taking-seriously.html

"quote..

The medical experts of Defence Institute of Physiology and Allied Sciences (DIPAS) undertook an intense medical observation of 'Mataji'

Giving preliminary details of the exercise to mediapersons, Dr Ila Vazgan of DIPAS and Dr Sudhir Shah of a local hospital confirmed that Mr Jani had not consumed any food, or had any water or passed any urine or stool during the 15-day exercise from April 22 to May 6.

Count me among the unconvinced. Your own article refers to a group in India whose purpose is to expose things like this. The fact that they were repeatedly denied access is very suspicious. I don't doubt that he can fast for long periods of time but, until there is verification from multiple groups of medical professionals, I'm not buying it.

Last edited by a moderator:
pallidin said:
I'm looking forward to it. He's a hoax.
Nothing tells me otherwise (in my opinion)

You know, to dismiss something prematurely is as grievous a crime to the scientific method as to accept something prematurely.

Borg said:
Count me among the unconvinced.

It(the detailed report) is not yet ready.Why would you want to be convinced or otherwise at this stage.

Your own article refers to a group in India whose purpose is to expose things like this. The fact that they were repeatedly denied access is very suspicious.

The group that exposes frauds are doing a good job, perhaps the defence organisation is not comfortable with the gungho attitude of the small time people with questionable means of going about the study like the one mentioned in the link
( quote" To further prove the case, a gas was released into the room that made the woman vomit. The contents of her stomach were found to include pieces of recently-eaten chapatti and potatoes)
I don't doubt that he can fast for long periods of time but, until there is verification from multiple groups of medical professionals, I'm not buying it.

It is not just fasting; the study says nothing goes in and nothing comes out, including fluids.Why don't you read the preliminary report thoroughly before jumping into conclusions.

until there is verification from multiple groups of medical professionals, I'm not buying it.
Mr Prahlad is ready to assist if any group of scientists or medical professionals want to conduct another study.(quote from Mr prahlad:

If science and these doctors can get something useful from this study, then I am more than willing to assist," said Jani.- link:http://ibnlive.in.com/news/on-fast-for-65-years-yogi-helps-military/114783-17.html?from=tn)

Last edited:
rtved said:

Thank you very much for this update.

Evo said:
Copuldn't someone that has been training his body for 60 years to go for prolonged periods of not eating or drinking easily go 15 days?

I would think it possible. Which is why I really don't get that they let him go after 15 days! Surely their primary concern would've been to validate or disqualify his claim and, in my humble opinion, the only way to do that would be to keep him indefinitely. Tests can be analysed even while he is still under observation and the longer it takes them to analyse said tests, the better...

rtved said:

Man, I hope someone else takes him up on this. It's not as if it's a very expensive experimental procedure in his case is it? The only thing that any scientific organisation need to provide him with is a room! :biggrin:

DaveC426913 said:
You know, to dismiss something prematurely is as grievous a crime to the scientific method as to accept something prematurely.

I agree with you Dave and this is largely why I find this particular case so extremely unsatisfying. Nothing has really been achieved, we still do not know if the man's claims are truthful or fraudulent.

rtved said:
It(the detailed report) is not yet ready.Why would you want to be convinced or otherwise at this stage.
When a claim that is so far from accepted norms is made, it has a large burden of proof. From what I've read, this study won't meet that criteria no matter what the report says because of the lack of transparency. This doesn't pass the sniff test IMHO.

rtved said:
It is not just fasting; the study says nothing goes in and nothing comes out, including fluids.Why don't you read the preliminary report thoroughly before jumping into conclusions.

I have read the articles that you provided and I am not jumping to conclusions. I am questioning the scientific methodology. You are ignoring the points that people are making about the transparency of the study.

rtved said:
Mr Prahlad is ready to assist if any group of scientists or medical professionals want to conduct another study.(quote from Mr prahlad:

If science and these doctors can get something useful from this study, then I am more than willing to assist," said Jani.- link:http://ibnlive.in.com/news/on-fast-for-65-years-yogi-helps-military/114783-17.html?from=tn)

Yes, I read that. And your point? This doesn't change what I wrote - until there is verification from multiple groups of medical professionals, I'm not buying it. Just because he says that he is willing to participate in another study, doesn't mean it will happen. And again, it needs to be transparent.

Last edited:
phyzmatix said:
I would think it possible. Which is why I really don't get that they let him go after 15 days! Surely their primary concern would've been to validate or disqualify his claim

It is not their concern at all to validate or disqualify his claim of 60 years.The militiray organisation's primary interest is to find "his technique" to survive without food and fluids for longer periods of time; long enough for the armed forces personnel for the logistics reach them and hence the 15 day study.
Man, I hope someone else takes him up on this. It's not as if it's a very expensive experimental procedure in his case is it? The only thing that any scientific organisation need to provide him with is a room! :biggrin:

There are hidden costs like insurance.The sterling hospitals(ahmedabad,India) that provided facilities for his stay wanted insurance obligations out of their way.

I agree with you Dave and this is largely why I find this particular case so extremely unsatisfying. Nothing has really been achieved, we still do not know if the man's claims are truthful or fraudulent.

There is actually noway to verify the claim of 60 years surviving.The primary interest of the study is not that.

DaveC426913 said:

On occasion, common sense is more powerful than the scientific method.

When it comes to hoaxes and fraud, a scientist or a scientific experiment can be easily fooled. Study up on the field of deception and you'll see that intelligent people, scientists, engineers and the scientific method can be fooled quite easily. There are many examples of this.

The bottom line is this guy is a fraud. I know it, you know it and everybody with common sense knows it. You can show me 100 studies of 15 days, 100 days or 1000 days that seem to support his claims, and I will still know he is a fraud.

You can quote all kinds of good sounding scientific mottos that we all basically agree with, but it won't change the basic fact he is a fraud.

The real crime is spending time and money studying a liar. The only area of real scientific value here is any genetic predisposition or training that gives this man longer survival time without food and water, but that can only be studied once the guy is honest about what he is doing.

stevenb said:
On occasion, common sense is more powerful than the scientific method.
Ouch. I guess the Sun really does still go around the Earth...

There is a pretty wide gap between "we are all sure it's a fraud" and "so let's not bother testing our beliefs anymore".

Stevenb is right. Science is so much build on honest observations/reporting etc. that scientists are not by training the best sutable persons to design experiments in which deception may play a big role.

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html" would be far more difficult to fool than the typical absent minded professor:

220px-Calculus_savate.png

Last edited by a moderator:
rtved said:
It is not their concern at all to validate or disqualify his claim of 60 years.The militiray organisation's primary interest is to find "his technique" to survive without food and fluids for longer periods of time; long enough for the armed forces personnel for the logistics reach them and hence the 15 day study...

...There is actually noway to verify the claim of 60 years surviving.The primary interest of the study is not that.

I never understood the primary concern of this study to be the verification of his claim that he has lived without food or water for 70 years but rather that he claims he can live without food and water at all!

DaveC426913 said:

I am actually comfortable with the idea of a stationary earth.:smile:

My comonsense tells me that i cannot remain rooted to the ground with Earth traveling at 30km/sec :smile:.

DaveC426913 said:

There is a pretty wide gap between "we are all sure it's a fraud" and "so let's not bother testing our beliefs anymore".

True, but can you expect a study which clearly has an agenda, and a group with the same to release honest results? You do not apply scientific standards to non-scientific material. If you put this man in a cage for 30 days with no food or water (which has not happened) and have constant stream of video, that would be the start. This is not extraordinary proof for an extraordinary claim, and this would require the discarding of much physics and medicine which HAS passed the scientific method. It is not enough to cast aspersions on the ridicule this garners without understanding the context.

rtved said:
My comonsense tells me that i cannot remain rooted to the ground with Earth traveling at 30km/sec :smile:.

After all your study of modern science, your common sense tells you that? Wow, that is truly amazing! :smile:

rtved said:
I am actually comfortable with the idea of a stationary earth.:smile:

Uh, yes. And you'd be wrong. i.e. your common sense will have led you astray. i.e. do not trust it.

What was your point?

IcedEcliptic said:
True, but can you expect a study which clearly has an agenda, and a group with the same to release honest results? You do not apply scientific standards to non-scientific material. If you put this man in a cage for 30 days with no food or water (which has not happened) and have constant stream of video, that would be the start. This is not extraordinary proof for an extraordinary claim, and this would require the discarding of much physics and medicine which HAS passed the scientific method. It is not enough to cast aspersions on the ridicule this garners without understanding the context.

OK, you are questioning the rigor of the experiment and the veracity of the claimers.