Collection of Science Jokes P2

In summary: Usually it's been commentated as being 'real'. Actually the joke dates back to the 30's and whether it's real or not cannot be said anymore.
  • #3,501
Tom.G said:
Try a fresh 9V battery on your tongue. Most people kind'a wish they hadn't.
Clearly, I'm not most people because I have done that more than once. It curled my tongue a little, but not much more than that.

On the other hand, at about age 12, a friend reported that he had done a science experiment the previous weekend. The conversation went about as follows:

Him: Hey Jim, I did a science experiment the other day.
Me: Tell me.
Him: I peed over an electric fence.
Me: How did it turn out?
Him: Pretty good, until the pressure started to drop.
Me: Cringe.

He went on to get married and father three kids, so there was no permanent damage.

Does that count as a science joke on the experimenter?

• Haha
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,502
Tom.G said:
Try a fresh 9V battery on your tongue. Most people kind'a wish they hadn't.
We once returned from the local pub to our tents at a camping location. Sure, drunk. Very drunk. One of us had to pee and caught an active agricultural fence! The internet says the voltage is between 2,000 and 10,000, recommended 3,000.

9V? Ridiculous.

• Wow
Likes BillTre
  • #3,503
fresh_42 said:
We once returned from the local pub to our tents at a camping location. Sure, drunk. Very drunk. One of us had to pee and caught an active agricultural fence! The internet says the voltage is between 2,000 and 10,000, recommended 3,000.

9V? Ridiculous.
Having been exposed to both, I can say that the level of discomfort is similar. There is a definite training effect with fences as with batteries.

If challenged to pee on a fence, I would definitely want to leverage Plateau-Rayleigh instability.

• #3,504
Screenshot 2024-07-20 at 4.20.42 PM.png

• #3,505
1721520328492.png

Likes jtbell, berkeman, BillTre and 2 others
  • #3,506
ohc=8CbJZjfbDNEQ7kNvgFq426H&_nc_ht=scontent-fra3-1.jpg

and it has to be added: Sell, their arms wide!

• Haha
Likes dwarde, Ibix, Borg and 1 other person
  • #3,507
Old botanists never die, they just start pushing up the daisies.

Likes davenn, collinsmark, Ibix and 1 other person
  • #3,508
It is almost poetic:

imaginary-triangle.jpg

A Facebook user explained this so elegantly:
Since i is along another dimension, perpendicular to the real plane, the projection of the triangle on the real plane looks like a line so indeed the side is 0

Likes Ibix and BillTre
  • #3,509
jack action said:
Since i is along another dimension, perpendicular to the real plane, the projection of the triangle on the real plane looks like a line so indeed the side is 0

So, I'm not a mathematician, but I don't get this (so not saying it's wrong, I just don't get it :frown:...). First off: the 'real plane', what is that? I know about the real line. And, together with the imaginary line that is a plane, but that's not in ##\mathbb{R}^2## I would guess?

So, if there would be a real plane, the first axis is horizontal and the second at a right angle to the drawing I would say. Then indeed the projection of the triangle (specifically of the hypotenuse) looks like a line. In fact, the projection of the hypotenuse coincides with the horizontal line, with 'real' length 1. But then it does have a real component and I'm having trouble seeing what is 0 about it... The vertical line though, that has indeed length 0 in the projection.

Sorry for possibly way overthinking this...

Likes gmax137
  • #3,510
jack action said:
It is almost poetic:

I mean, this is just the deprecated imaginary time description of Minkowski space ...

Likes collinsmark and Ibix
  • #3,511
Arjan82 said:
I don't get this
I think the Facebook user is adding confusion to this, yes. The hypotenuse has "length" zero, but non-zero projections on to both the horizontal and vertical axes.

As Orodruin notes, the diagram is a Minkowski diagram, widely used in relativity as a "map" of a two dimensional spacetime (one time, one space dimension) using the old "imaginary time" approach.

Likes Arjan82 and collinsmark
  • #3,512
Arjan82 said:
I just don't get it

As @Orodruin and @Ibix point out, it is a valid form of geometry, albeit non-Euclidean, akin to flat, Minkowski spacetime. However, the facebook user was overthinking it (you can probably ignore the facebook user's comments).

As a special bonus, you can even do "trigonometry"-like operations in such geometries of such right triangles, except instead of using sin(), cos(), and tan(), etc., you can invoke their hyperbolic equivalents, sinh(), cosh(), and tanh(), etc.

Likes Arjan82 and BillTre
  • #3,513
Ibix said:
I think the Facebook user is adding confusion to this, yes.
Really.

My "poem" would be:
##H^2=A^2+B^2##
##H^2=i^2+1^2##
##H^2=-1+1=0##
##H=0##

Likes Ibix and BillTre
  • #3,514
Ibix said:
I think the Facebook user is adding confusion to this, yes.
That is so weird though. Random Facebook comments are usually such a fount of indisputable knowledge … 🤔

• Haha
Likes BillTre and berkeman
  • #3,515
1721775577947.png

• Haha
Likes davenn and dwarde
  • #3,516
berkeman said:

"I got to work at 10, then grabbed a latte. Then I headed over to the gym. Then me and a couple of friends went to the salad bar for a quick bite before heading to our cool new Tibetan themed meditation center. Then we had this all-hands townhall zoom meeting..."

Last edited:
  • #3,517
ohc=CLC79POPwIwQ7kNvgEnzaX0&_nc_ht=scontent-fra5-1.jpg

• Love
Likes davenn and BillTre
  • #3,518
1000056469.jpg

• Haha
Likes dwarde, BillTre, gmax137 and 2 others
  • #3,519
fresh_42 said:
That's cheating. If adding extra elements to aluminium could count as making it transparent, then they wouldn't have to wait until the 22nd century to invent it - they could have just dug up some corundum from the ground.

• #3,520
1721879474913.png

• Love
Likes dwarde, jtbell, dextercioby and 4 others
  • #3,522
You know, this just doesn't seem like a great idea to me ....

1722336357116.png

• Haha
Likes collinsmark, BillTre, fresh_42 and 2 others
  • #3,523
1722352762246.png

• Haha
Likes dwarde, davenn, Ibix and 2 others
  • #3,524
berkeman said:
Two things come to mind:

1. The objects in the left picture are ever so slightly bigger than the man in the second.
2. The instrument used for the left picture costs ever so slightly more than that used for the right.

Likes BillTre and berkeman
  • #3,525
Orodruin said:
The instrument used for the left picture costs ever so slightly more than that used for the right.
Webb cost the better part of $10bn (I looked it up because I was just about to make a similar comment).

• #3,526
1722554417345.png

• Haha
Likes Ibix, BillTre and fresh_42
  • #3,527
1722582299795.png

• Haha
Likes BillTre, fresh_42, jack action and 4 others
  • #3,528
1722639174652.png

• Haha
Likes davenn, BillTre, jack action and 1 other person
  • #3,529
Screenshot 2024-08-02 at 4.31.33 PM.png

Likes phinds and berkeman
  • #3,530
Screenshot 2024-08-02 at 4.28.09 PM.png

Likes davenn
  • #3,531
Non Sequitur Comic Strip for August 04, 2024

Likes davenn, BillTre and jack action
  • #3,532
“…when it is least convenient.”

1722819897531.png

• Haha
  • Love
Likes phinds, jack action, Bystander and 3 others
  • #3,533
davenn said:
“…when it is least convenient.”

View attachment 349489
That was definitely one of the better ones! Last automatic update took hours!

Likes davenn and BillTre
  • #3,534
ohc=Lgw_4D968XgQ7kNvgEtN6dq&_nc_ht=scontent-fra3-1.jpg

• Haha
Likes collinsmark and berkeman
  • #3,535
fresh_42 said:
Where is the joke? This is my wife’s last birthday cake:
1722833225001.jpeg

(Yellow candles were lit when it went ”live”)

Likes collinsmark and fresh_42