Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

• Music
  • Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Track
In summary, the conversation discussed which songs were performed, arranged, or produced better in a cover than the original version. They also debated which songs should have been left alone and whether restricting covers to released singles limits interesting comparisons. The discussion also touched on the subjectivity of judging which version is "better" and the importance of adding something unique to a cover. Examples of good and unnecessary covers were also mentioned. Overall, the conversation highlighted the different interpretations and emotions that can be evoked by a cover compared to the original version.
  • #1,331
this one blew my mind ...

Blind Willie Johnson​

Original

Depeche Mode​

Cover

• Love
Likes DennisN and pinball1970
Science news on Phys.org
  • #1,332
Another amazing cover ...

Johnny Cash

Big River - Original

The Secret Sisters (With Jack White)

Cover

Likes pinball1970
  • #1,333
Some covers are completely different from the original ...like this one ...

Neil Young - Heart of Gold

Original​

Tori Amos Cover

Likes pinball1970
  • #1,334
Some covers elevate the song to new sonic heights ...like this one

The Seeker by The Who

Original

Rush Covered it!

Likes pinball1970
  • #1,335
Some covers are very different BUT both versions are fantastic!

Sam & Dave "I Thank You"​

Original​

ZZ Top​

Cover​

Likes Hornbein, pinball1970 and robphy
  • #1,336
A lot of covers are simply better than the original ...like this one

Britney Spears - Toxic
Original ...not too bad

Now listen to the Local H version
Cover

This cover is a lot of fun ...​

Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra
Cover

• Wow
Likes pinball1970 and robphy
  • #1,337
OK ...last one (for now)

Willie's haunting cover of a Dave Matthew tune is just soooo good...

Dave Matthews - Gravedigger
Original

Willie Nelson's Cover

Likes pinball1970
  • #1,338
An extremely interesting topic.

I was a singer songwriter for over a decade and far preferred composing my own pieces as opposed to playing existing records even by artists that I idolised.

‘Ain’t No Sunshine’ by Bill Withers is an amazing piece of music and you experience the work of a heartfelt wordsmith upon every single revisit.

However Zakk Wylde of BLS fame did a haunting rendition that I would strongly recommend if you haven’t had the privilege.

Zakk is naturally at home with hard rock and metal stonkers but strips all the overdrive and other effects you have come to associate with him as a performer and delivers a haunting stripped back acoustic cover.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
  • #1,339

Likes pinball1970
  • #1,340
Original:

Cover: close but also completely different (and does anyone know that language? Romanes?)

I'm not sure which one I like better.

• #1,341
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_of_Spades_(song) (1980)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motörhead

Motörhead – Ace Of Spades (Official Video)
1722470194837.png

https://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/motorhead-ace-of-spades-tab-s335

audio only: (2020) Ace of Spades IceT/Body Count

(2024) PettyRock-Ace Of Spades ( Cover petch ) #เสียง The Rock
- PettyRock ( @PettyRockVimolwanSaisathit ) is about 14 years old here.
Start at @2m05s

(2019) Motorbäbe - Ace of Spades (Motörhead tribute)

(2020) ACE OF SPADES - Motorhead (rockabilly cover by Mosh Lab)

(2022) “Ace of Spades” (Motörhead) 1920s Jazz Cover by Robyn Adele Anderson

(2017) Ace of Spades cover Motörhead by Carre-court

mashup : (2017) Motörhead Ace of Spades Vs Notorious B.I.G. Juicy - Lewis Floyd Henry Cover (Brick Lane London 2017)

Honorable Mentions:

Update:

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes pinball1970
  • #1,342
Ok this is a stretch.

There was, in my eyes, an iconic song created but in a TV scenario.

The creation was via two catholic priests fitting a former failed Eurovision song B side to their words for a new Eurovision entry.

It counts as it's a song and there is a cover

Last edited:
  • #1,343
pinball1970 said:
Ok this is a stretch.

There was, in my eyes, an iconic song created but in a TV scenario.

The creation was via two catholic priests fitting a former failed Eurovision song B side to their words.

It counts as it's a song and there is a cover

Creation.

After they stole a Scandinavian entry from the 1970s to fit the lyrics.

The cover. Two guys.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes jack action and robphy
  • #1,344

Likes pinball1970
  • #1,345
These guys are phenomenal. Leonid and friends (lots of friends!)

Likes robphy and Hornbein
  • #1,346
The bass player is the star for me. Loose and solid at the same time. Few can ever do that. Note how prominent in the mix. That hardly ever happens for a bass player. Maybe the trick is to key off of the singer.

Tom Scholz's bass playing is really good. Also Steven Stills and Jimi Hendrix.

Likes robphy and pinball1970
  • #1,347
They rock too,

Likes robphy
  • #1,348
CDMartini said:
Some covers are completely different from the original ...like this one ...

Neil Young - Heart of Gold​

Original​

Tori Amos Cover

That bass line is from the stooges' I Want To Be Your Dog. I bet that was the model.

Likes pinball1970
  • #1,349
  • #1,350
Reading this line:
robphy said:
NEW HD: Blue Öyster Cult - (Don't Fear) The Reaper (Live) 10/9/1981 [2021 Digital Restoration]
Me in my head: The Reaper ... Don't Fear The Reaper ... Tonk, Tonk, Tonk, ... Where did I hear this? ... What does it remind me of?
robphy said:
More Cowbell - SNL
There it is!

Likes robphy
  • #1,351
Wow, I just found two covers which I did not know about...
...I was genuinely very surprised as I am a fan of both artists...
But who could have guessed that they were also fans of eachother?
...reality is sometimes weirder than poetry, I guess :smile:...

David Bowie covers ABBA:s "The Winner Takes It All"
Quote: "RARE AUDIO - Recorded inbetween sessions for Bowie's Let's Dance Single at The Power Station in Manhattan in 1982. Bowie apparently played around a lot with the song and really wanted to record it properly, but it was never to be."

Original: here

ABBA:s Frida covers David Bowies "Life On Mars?", translated to Swedish:

Original: here

I like both covers, but as often, the originals are the best.
But I really liked Bowies "naked" version of "The Winner Takes It All", it is very fragile, sad and emotional.

• Wow
Likes pinball1970, Hornbein and fresh_42
  • #1,352
It's Raining Men by the WOW! Girls.

Gotta be from Romania. I wish they'd gone a little lighter on the Autotune.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes pinball1970
  • #1,353
King Hussein of Jordan was a big ABBA fan.

• Wow
Likes DennisN and pinball1970
  • #1,354
Over the Mountain
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over_the_Mountain (1981)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozzy_Osbourne

Ozzy Osbourne - Over the Mountain (Live - Albuquerque, NM Jan 7, 1982)
&t=3m00s solo

Kids going "Over the Mountain"

(2024) Ozzy Osbourne - Over the mountain (cover) - Maximum Friction
Jaden - Guitar 13 Jasmine - bass 15 Anton - drums 18.
&t=2m15s solo

(2011) Over the Mountain Cover Ozzy Osbourne performed by Party Boys (guitarist Jake)
&t=2m20s solo

(2020) Over the Mountain - Ozzy Osbourne (Cover) / Yoyoka with FRIENDS (with SATSUMA3042 )
My name is Yoyoka, I'm a 10 year old drummer from Japan
&t=2m40s solo

(2014) Ozzy Osbourne Over the Mountain Cover - Deraps
Jacob Deraps, 17 years old, playing Ozzy Osbourne's Over the Mountain.
&t=2m30s solo

Honorable mention:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970
  • #1,355
Orig

Cover

The orig still rules, but a very good effort by the women.

Likes pinball1970
  • #1,356
Hornbein said:
King Hussein of Jordan was a big ABBA fan.
Everyone was and is a big ABBA fan. Elvis to Lemmy, Biden to Putin, Thatcher to Starmer, Hawking to Brian Cox. They cross boundaries.

EDIT: A pfer asked for evidence of this and I have none it is my guess my references liked ABBA. The people I used were polar opposites to make a point.

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42 and jack action
  • #1,357
robphy said:
Over the Mountain
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over_the_Mountain (1981)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozzy_Osbourne

Ozzy Osbourne - Over the Mountain (Live - Albuquerque, NM Jan 7, 1982)
&t=3m00s solo

Kids going "Over the Mountain"

(2024) Ozzy Osbourne - Over the mountain (cover) - Maximum Friction

&t=2m15s solo

(2011) Over the Mountain Cover Ozzy Osbourne performed by Party Boys (guitarist Jake)
&t=2m20s solo

(2020) Over the Mountain - Ozzy Osbourne (Cover) / Yoyoka with FRIENDS (with SATSUMA3042 )

&t=2m40s solo

(2014) Ozzy Osbourne Over the Mountain Cover - Deraps

&t=2m30s solo

Honorable mention:

We do this one in the tribute. The drum intro is "Pictures of home," off Machine head but a bit slower I think.
Ian Paice, the best rock drummer for me.

Those kids are amazing though. If you stuck them on our gear with a good sound engineer they would nail it.

Likes robphy
  • #1,358
pinball1970 said:
Everyone was and is a big ABBA fan. Elvis to Lemmy, Biden to Putin, Thatcher to Starmer, Hawking to Brian Cox. They cross boundaries.
Yes.
And your quote prompted me to tell a little personal story....

As you very well know I am a BIG ABBA fan (not so much of their more easy/cheesy pop, but of their experimental and really creative music, which I think is just fantastic), and I was a fan from a very early age.

But one thing I never quite understood was how darn popular they were outside of our small country.
Because it was highly unusual (and it has never been even nearly repeated by any other Swedish artist to such a big extent). And I was young then too and did not travel much to other countries either.

You see, we are a really small country (about 8 million people back then), and we were definitely not famous for our music, until ABBA came and broke all the rules.

Since I never quite understood how they managed to appeal to such a wide audience, I decided to research it to find out, because it IS so unusual.

Look at this chart, it is crazy:

The Official Top 20 biggest selling groups of all time revealed! (UK)​

(the ten first listed below)

1​
BEATLES​
22.1 MILLION​
2​
QUEEN​
12.8 MILLION​
3​
ABBA​
11.3 MILLION​
4​
ROLLING STONES​
10.1 MILLION​
5​
OASIS​
9.079 MILLION​
6​
TAKE THAT​
9.078 MILLION​
7​
SPICE GIRLS​
8.0 MILLION​
8​
BEE GEES​
7.6 MILLION​
9​
U2​
7.5 MILLION​
10​
STATUS QUO​
7.2 MILLION​

Source: https://www.officialcharts.com/char...t-selling-groups-of-all-time-revealed-__2515/

Seeing this chart is just crazy for a Swede. First is the Beatles (of course), then Queen (I can see that) and then... ABBA? What? Before Rolling Stones? And U2?

Why? Here's my take on it after my research:

1. They were incredibly versatile, playing many different music styles (so did the Beatles), e.g. pop, rock, experimental and even musical-like
2. They actively mixed different styles into new unique styles (so did the Beatles)
3. They had (at least) TWO ridiculously good composers in the band (as did the Beatles)
4. They wrote easy listening stuff, but they also wrote very advanced music (so did the Beatles)
5. Even so, they both still had a unique sound; if your hear The Beatles or ABBA you can not mistake it for something else.

And there are probably more comparisons with the Beatles I haven't thought of yet :smile:.

Here is a interesting video which actually started my personal research on the topic; in this video they ask this very question to other composers and artists:

Why we all love ABBA | DW History and Culture​

Bonus fun, because it is SO weird for me as a Swede to see this... :

John Lydon, the lead singer of the iconic punk band Sex Pistols here tells his older punk audience that Sid Vicious' favorite band was ABBA. And then they sing along to "Fernando":

You see, this just blows my mind. My brain can't really comprehend that UK anti-establishment punk rebels, without any irony at all, like ABBA. It just doesn't make sense :)). But it sure is fun :biggrin:.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes robphy, fresh_42 and pinball1970
  • #1,359
DennisN said:
As you very well know I am a BIG ABBA fan (not so much of their more easy/cheesy pop, ...
I once read a discussion about their "easy/cheesy pop." IIRC it was "Thank you for the music" but I am not sure. Anyway, the message was that their music is all but not easy. They have sophisticated harmonies and baselines. What may sound like "easy/cheesy pop" is the result of hard work hiding the actual complexity.

Likes Hornbein and pinball1970
  • #1,360
fresh_42 said:
I once read a discussion about their "easy/cheesy pop." IIRC it was "Thank you for the music" but I am not sure. Anyway, the message was that their music is all but not easy. They have sophisticated harmonies and baselines. What may sound like "easy/cheesy pop" is the result of hard work hiding the actual complexity.

"Thank you for the music" is not the easy listening/cheesy I was thinking about.
That song is spectacular, and far from easy, and it's from their very creative album called "The Album", probably my favorite album if I have to choose one.

Regarding easy listening pop I was thinking more about songs like "Ring Ring", "Take A Chance On Me", still good songs, but definitely not among their best (in my subjective opinion).

Excellent songs on "The Album" (according to me):
  • Eagle (just stunning, it's like a fantasy)
  • The Name of the Game (simply an incredible mix of genres if you analyze it, one analysis here, another great analysis here by a pro DJ. My note: excellent verse, bridge, chorus and break, AND they mix styles in the same song... the verse is mystical and groovy, then it goes into a classical bridge and then into a killer chorus sounding a bit like the Beatles AND they also get in psychedelic guitars AND a capella parts... in the same song!
    In short: it takes a musical genius to manage to pull that off in the same song, there is no doubt.
  • Move On (a mix of genres and very deep existential lyrics)
  • Hole In Your Soul (a crazy mix of genres, and a dedication to rock'n roll from this pop band, and the verse could have been the Beatles)
  • Thank You for the Music - spectacular, a mix of quality pop, and sounding very close to a piece from a musical
  • I Wonder (Departure) - incredibly emotional
  • I'm A Marionette - crazy experimental music, and a superb verse
A shoutout goes also to "The Visitors" on their last album
Very unusual for ABBA, much more serious and really, really dark, and with synthesizers that are just out of this world... with VERY weird sounding vocals in the verse.
And what is the lyrics about? It's a mystery to the listener.
Listen to it, and make a judgment...

Then, read this spoiler:
It is about political dissidents in the Soviet Union. A protest song against the treatment of political prisoners in the Soviet Union, disguised as an experimental piece.
- and some people say that their music wasn't deep... well, they were wrong. :biggrin:

Edit:

I just have to add something regarding the song "The Visitors"...
It was released in 1981 and wasn't very successful, partly because it did not sound like the usual ABBA.

But it was SO ahead of its time that people didn't understand that ABBA was breaking new ground
with it. It is now categorized as a synth-pop/art rock song, but people did not get it at the time, because no-one had heard such music before.

It is essentially ABBA pioneering into the dark wave and goth genre that became popular later in the 1980s by UK bands like Depeche Mode, The Cure, Soft Cell etc.

Phil Collins later told ABBA they should have released it as the opening single for that album. :smile:

And I challenge anyone to find a song from that time that sounds just like it...
...I don't think there is any. It is something like as if Vangelis or Jean Michel Jarre decided to make a dark synth song with lyrics. It is very unique. Here is one who gets it, but he's more than 40 years late :biggrin:.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes robphy, pinball1970 and fresh_42
  • #1,361
DennisN said:
Regarding easy listening pop I was thinking more about songs like "Ring Ring", "Take A Chance On Me", still good songs, but definitely not among their best (in my subjective opinion).
I bought Waterloo back in the '70s. I was probably one of a few who liked the B-side "Watch Out" even more.

Likes pinball1970 and DennisN
  • #1,362
DennisN said:
Yes.

As you very well know I am a BIG ABBA fan (not so much of their more easy/cheesy pop, but of their experimental and really creative music, which I think is just fantastic), and I was a fan from a very early age.

But one thing I never quite understood was how darn popular they were outside of our small country.
Because it was highly unusual (and it has never been even nearly repeated by any other Swedish artist to such a big extent). And I was young then too and did not travel much to other countries either.

You see, we are a really small country (about 8 million people back then), and we were definitely not famous for our music, until ABBA came and broke all the rules.

Since I never quite understood how they managed to appeal to such a wide audience, I decided to research it to find out, because it IS so unusual.

1​
BEATLES​
22.1 MILLION​
2​
QUEEN​
12.8 MILLION​
3​
ABBA​
11.3 MILLION​
4​
ROLLING STONES​
10.1 MILLION​
5​
OASIS​
9.079 MILLION​
6​
TAKE THAT​
9.078 MILLION​
7​
SPICE GIRLS​
8.0 MILLION​
8​
BEE GEES​
7.6 MILLION​
9​
U2​
7.5 MILLION​
10​
STATUS QUO​
7.2 MILLION​

Source: https://www.officialcharts.com/char...t-selling-groups-of-all-time-revealed-__2515/

Seeing this chart is just crazy for a Swede. First is the Beatles (of course), then Queen (I can see that) and then... ABBA? What? Before Rolling Stones? And U2?

1. They were incredibly versatile, playing many different music styles (so did the Beatles), e.g. pop, rock, experimental and even musical-like
2. They actively mixed different styles into new unique styles (so did the Beatles)
3. They had (at least) TWO ridiculously good composers in the band (as did the Beatles)
4. They wrote easy listening stuff, but they also wrote very advanced music (so did the Beatles)
5. Even so, they both still had a unique sound; if your hear The Beatles or ABBA you can not mistake it for something else.

And there are probably more comparisons with the Beatles I haven't thought of yet :smile:.

Here is a interesting video which actually started my personal research on the topic; in this video they ask this very question to other composers and artists:

John Lydon, the lead singer of the iconic punk band Sex Pistols here tells his older punk audience that Sid Viscious' favorite band was ABBA. And then they sing along to "Fernando":

You see, this just blows my mind. My brain can't really comprehend that UK anti-establishment punk rebels, without any irony at all, like ABBA. It just don't make sense :)). But it sure is fun :biggrin:.

ive started a new thread

Likes DennisN
  • #1,363
jack action said:
The day before yesterday, Duane Eddy passed away. Younger, I always knew Peter Gunn by The Art of Noise. This one fits in this thread.

Not really a cover, but I thought of another popular song that uses the Peter Gunn theme: Planet Claire from The B-52s.

• #1,364
DennisN said:
Yes.

1​
BEATLES​
22.1 MILLION​
2​
QUEEN​
12.8 MILLION​
3​
ABBA​
11.3 MILLION​
4​
ROLLING STONES​
10.1 MILLION​
5​
OASIS​
9.079 MILLION​
6​
TAKE THAT​
9.078 MILLION​
7​
SPICE GIRLS​
8.0 MILLION​
8​
BEE GEES​
7.6 MILLION​
9​
U2​
7.5 MILLION​
10​
STATUS QUO​
7.2 MILLION​

John Lydon, the lead singer of the iconic punk band Sex Pistols here tells his older punk audience that Sid Vicious' favorite band was ABBA. And then they sing along to "Fernando":

You see, this just blows my mind. My brain can't really comprehend that UK anti-establishment punk rebels, without any irony at all, like ABBA. It just doesn't make sense :)). But it sure is fun :biggrin:.

That chart turns out to be sales of singles. Huh. ABBA is 32nd on album sales. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

• Informative
Likes DennisN
  • #1,365
S!CK by The Warning

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Warning_(band)
https://thewarningband.com/
https://www.discogs.com/artist/4533866-The-Warning

Related earlier posts by me:​
The Warning (formed in 2013) is a rock group of three sisters from Monterrey, Mexico.​
They had a well-viewed cover [now at 25M views] (2014) Enter Sandman - METALLICA Cover - The Warning
when guitarist Daniela "Dany" was 14, drummer Paulina "Pau" was 12, and bassist Alejandra "Ale" was 9. Metallica invited them to contribute to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Metallica_Blacklist (2021).​
This track, S!CK, is from their fourth album Keep Me Fed (2024).​
While I was looking at Maximum Friction, who was featured in the Over the Mountain covers (#1354) ,​
I saw that they had covered S!CK and was pleasantly surprised to find a few others who covered the song. It's nice to see covers of songs from a relatively-new band that I've liked.​

(April 8, 2024) Sick Drum Cover: Victoria Takes on The Warning's Explosive Hit!

(June 6, 2024) The Warning-S!CK covered by Venus

(June 8, 2024) S!CK - The Warning ⚡| Cover By LAVENDERS

(May 3, 2024) The Warning - S!CK [COVER] - Fiebre de Cover

(Jul 15, 2024) Sick - The Warning (cover/ Soundcheck) - Maximum Friction
Maximum Friction takes on a cover by all sister trio The Warning. Filmed while while doing sound check opening for Nicko McBrains Titanium Tart at The OCC Roadhouse in Clearwater, FL.

Likes jack action
Back