Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

• Music
  • Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Track
In summary, the conversation discussed which songs were performed, arranged, or produced better in a cover than the original version. They also debated which songs should have been left alone and whether restricting covers to released singles limits interesting comparisons. The discussion also touched on the subjectivity of judging which version is "better" and the importance of adding something unique to a cover. Examples of good and unnecessary covers were also mentioned. Overall, the conversation highlighted the different interpretations and emotions that can be evoked by a cover compared to the original version.
  • #1,366

Science news on Phys.org
  • #1,367
Orig

Cover

Likes robphy
  • #1,368
Hornbein said:
Orig

Cover

Interesting.
I wasn’t aware of the Nickelback song. But you and quite a few others are. I’m somewhat concerned.

Likes pinball1970
  • #1,369
Pretty good voice I think

• Love
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970, DennisN and robphy
  • #1,370
Arjan82 said:
Pretty good?
I heard two sentences of the song (with Alice Phoebe Lou), and paused the video to reply:
She has not a pretty good voice, she has a terrific voice!
Now I'm gonna listen to the rest of the song... :smile:

Edit:

Now I've listened to the rest, and yes, she is a terrific singer. An interesting mix of pretty bright vocals, but also soulful.

And I actually don't like the original song very much, so I prefer Alices version much more.
🙂

Last edited:
Likes Arjan82 and pinball1970
  • #1,371
Arjan82 said:

That was unexpected!

An usual voice, lovely tone and kudos for taking on a track like that. I would have said that was untouchable as a cover, just too big.

She played around with it a bit.

I will listen to more of her stuff

Last edited:
Likes DennisN and Arjan82
  • #1,372
Arjan82 said:

I love the Lou Reed one too!

Likes DennisN and Arjan82
  • #1,373
DennisN said:
Pretty good?

Yeah, I understated it a bit indeed 😆

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and DennisN
  • #1,374
pinball1970 said:

That's actually what I very much like about covers. It is when the artist makes the song their own instead of just copying what has already been done. If the result of the cover is almost a carbon copy of the original, what's the point?

There used to be a Dutch morning show on the radio (3FM, with Giel Beelen) where there was a live band each morning (oh.. those were the days...) where they first did a song of their own, and then a cover of 'something out of the mega top 50 chart' (sometimes taken a bit loosely). I absolutely loved that second part, because that was what set apart the good artists from the great ones. The good ones did a carbon copy, the great ones made the song their own with some amazing results!

• Love
Likes DennisN and pinball1970
  • #1,375
Arjan82 said:
The good ones did a carbon copy, the great ones made the song their own with some amazing results!
I'm in tribute bands so that is pretty much all we do ha ha! It is hard to copy good music and good musicians and people still want to hear it because those bands are not playing anymore. Or not playing like that anymore or have different members.

• Love
Likes robphy and Arjan82
  • #1,376
Arjan82 said:
If the result of the cover is almost a carbon copy of the original, what's the point?

pinball1970 said:
I'm in tribute bands so that is pretty much all we do ha ha! It is hard to copy good music and good musicians and people still want to hear it because those bands are not playing anymore. Or not playing like that anymore or have different members.

For me, I appreciate covers and tribute bands because some reverse-engineering
was done to reveal how the original may have been done.
(For example, "Oh, that's how you play that riff (or that solo)... and maybe I can too [with practice]...")

In addition, I appreciate covers by bands that are different from the original bands,
like covers done by kids and by bands from around the world (from places one might not expect).
Maybe one could say that these bands are a few years behind...
but I think they keep the song and style alive...
and maybe they continue with new original songs in that vein.

To me, covers that are quite different from the original
suggest that elements in the original (like the melody or lyrics)
have a life beyond the original song [in its original genre and style].

• Love
  • #1,377
So good points indeed. I can definitely see that being a tribute band you need to be truthful to the original. I would love to be at a concert of a tribute band of The Cranberries for example, and I would want them to be as truthful to the original music as possible.

Also I see the point about reverse-engineering, although I would say that this is mainly the benefit for the musicians rather than the listener (but I can certainly appreciate the effort as a listener). So you would definitely learn a lot as a musician by looking very closely at others songs.

I also totally agree that a good cover that differs from the original also tells you a lot about the quality of the song itself. It's usually the very good songs that can be or are covered in this way, and by doing that you more or less immortalize them.

So thanks for pointing that out :)

Likes pinball1970
  • #1,378
One reason I spend half the year in Tokyo. No tribute bands except a few for The Beatles (who in my opinion deserve tribute). There isn't much by way of cover bands either. Tokyo people want to hear your own thing.

When I lived in northern Michigan there was a summer concert series in the park. Nine out of ten shows were tribute bands. It's a nation that looks to the past.

• #1,379
Hornbein said:
One reason I spend half the year in Tokyo. No tribute bands except a few for The Beatles (who in my opinion deserve tribute). There isn't much by way of cover bands either. Tokyo people want to hear your own thing.

When I lived in northern Michigan there was a summer concert series in the park. Nine out of ten shows were tribute bands. It's a nation that looks to the past.
You are comparing the culture of the Japanese capitol to the culture of northern Michigan? If that is a comparison of equals, I feel pretty good about the USA. If I was Japanese, I’d feel pretty insulted.

• Haha
Likes fresh_42 and BillTre
  • #1,380
Thread closed for Moderation...

EDIT -- After a Mentor discussion, thread is reopened.

Last edited:
  • #1,381
Hornbein said:

I want you to know that I am officially offended by your post.

I once attended a concert of a Beatles revival band and I am not looking to the past only. Such statements are at least unreferenced and naive, but in that specific case offensive.

• #1,382
Orig(sort of). If there were a vote for best rhythm section ever I'd go for this one. Shingo Tanaka[Farmer] on ebass. So free yet entirely solid. As usual in Nihon they were together for only one tour then never again. Thank God for recordings of music.

Note how English(sort of) is included. "Melto". This practive is common.

There are a great many covers. Hit the CC button to get a translation. The ebass player here is also terriffic. Looks like Los Angeles.

Real humans on this Earth who could sing that are few.

The composer made enough money off of this that he was able to hire the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra. Nice counterpoint. And at last we get good recordings of orchestras .

This one is an update by the original artist ten years later. I wish more musicians would do that. It's the philosophy of continuous improvement.

• #1,383
So I'm a bit of a Tool fan, and although I don't think this is better than the original, I think it is a nice attempt. (And I guess an excuse to post a Tool video 😇)

Orig:

Brass Against:

• #1,384
robphy said:
To me, covers that are quite different from the original
suggest that elements in the original (like the melody or lyrics)
have a life beyond the original song [in its original genre and style].
Long ago in the days of crude 8-bit ringtones, I thought, if it sounds good played back like that then you can be sure you have a nice melody.

Likes robphy
  • #1,385
Smooth Criminal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smooth_Criminal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Jackson

Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal - Live Seoul 1996 - HQ [HD]

(2018) Smooth Criminal - Michael Jackson, arranged and played by Feng E, ukulele

(2024) Charles Berthoud - Smooth Criminal (Official Music Video)

(2011) Michael Jackson - SMOOTH CRIMINAL - Guitar Cover by Adam Lee

(2021) Smooth Criminal - Michael Jackson ('Film Noir' Style Cover) ft. Aubrey Logan - PostmodernJukebox

(2009) Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal (Official Music Video) - (321M views)

Honorable mention

Last edited:
Likes Arjan82 and berkeman
  • #1,386
Orig Use Me by Bill Withers.

Cover by Esther Phillips

I saw Esther in Back Bay Boston at this time (1972) and still remember her doing this. I thought it was sexy as hell. In 1973 this recording didn't get a Grammy. That year's winner (Aretha Franklin) thought this was so unjust she gave Esther the trophy.

I revisited this because of Esi Okai-Tetteh, who might be the best blues singer of the 21st century. Her face reminded me of someone. Aha. Esther Phillips.

Likes Arjan82
  • #1,387
"What a Diff'rence a Day Made" is a popular song originally written in Spanish by María Grever, a Mexican songwriter, in 1934 with the title "Cuando vuelva a tu lado" ("When I Return to Your Side") and first recorded by Orquesta Pedro Vía that same year. Not available on Youtube, so let's go with Ksenya Nikora & Nikorason'g band.

Cover by Chantal Chamberland

Everyone in jazz calls this What A Difference A Day Makes after Dinah Washington. She had the hit record.

Likes Arjan82
  • #1,388
Arjan82 said:

pinball1970 said:
That was unexpected!

An usual voice, lovely tone and kudos for taking on a track like that. I would have said that was untouchable as a cover, just too big.

I will listen to more of her stuff

I knew of Aurora. She's a very talented Norwegian singer & songwriter.

Here is an ethereal concert (full concert) in a cathedral:

AURORA - Live in Nidarosdomen [Full concert]
The video is of AURORA's concert in Nidarosdomen (Nidaros cathedral), Trondheim, Norway. She performed in front of a sold-out audience alongside her band, TrondheimSolistene (ensemble/orchestra), Oslo Fagottkor (choir), Petra Bjørkhaug (organist) and Ruth Potter (harpist). This concert was recorded on the 2nd of November, 2017 and was broadcast by NRK (Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation) on the 28th of December, 2017.

At 52:22 she performs Life On Mars?, with the huge reverb of the cathedral... :smile:

• Love
  • Informative
  • #1,389
I'd say that Aurora now owns Across The Universe. Nice harmony singer too.

That's a Fender Bass VI. An ebass made to be like a guitar, with six strings. John Lennon played one, maybe that's why it's there. I've never seen one in real life.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Arjan82, pinball1970 and DennisN
  • #1,390
Ok, are you fellows ready for a cover that is very much out of left field?

I did not think about this artist for this thread until today, and I decided I had to post about her...

Here's a very talented cellist doing very creative stuff...
she is looping herself and plays... Jimi Hendrix songs!
:))

Ah, the passion, the feeling, it's just amazing, in my opinion :kiss:.

Rachael Lander - Jimi Hendrix (looped Cello cover)

Likes Hornbein, pinball1970 and fresh_42
  • #1,391
DennisN said:
Here's a very talented cellist doing very creative stuff...
she is looping herself and plays... Jimi Hendrix songs!
:))

Hmm, unfortunately she made only 8 videos :(. I like her Royal Blood cover actually.

The Jimi Hendrix song is a little bit less for me, sacrilegious! No, kidding, but in my opinion Jimi Hendrix can only be covered by Stevie Ray Vaughn for good results (at least, I like this cover):

• Love
Likes DennisN, Hornbein and pinball1970
  • #1,392
robphy said:
Smooth Criminal
I love this song. I had a cassette of Michael Jackson (probably some greatest hits) when I was young. I've listened to it so, so many times...

robphy said:
(2024) Charles Berthoud - Smooth Criminal (Official Music Video)

Charles Berthoud is an amazing bass player. Love his version!

robphy said:
(2011) Michael Jackson - SMOOTH CRIMINAL - Guitar Cover by Adam Lee

Didn't know Adam Lee, love his guitar play!

robphy said:
(2021) Smooth Criminal - Michael Jackson ('Film Noir' Style Cover) ft. Aubrey Logan - PostmodernJukebox

I love Postmodern Jukebox. Lots of inspiration for coves.

robphy said:
(2009) Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal (Official Music Video) - (321M views)

Some more good old memories, This actually came out in 2001, when I was just studying at the University, It was played at parties and you could find me in the mosh pit usually🤘😁

Likes robphy
  • #1,393
Hornbein said:
Orig Use Me by Bill Withers.

Funny, I never realized the version I listened to was a cover :)

Hornbein said:
Cover by Esther Phillips

Love this version as well!

But for me this is an absolutely phenomenal version, by Patricia Barber (which I thought was original):

Also in live form:

Likes Hornbein
  • #1,394
Arjan82 said:
Hmm, unfortunately she made only 8 videos :(. I like her Royal Blood cover actually.

The Jimi Hendrix song is a little bit less for me, sacrilegious! No, kidding, but in my opinion Jimi Hendrix can only be covered by Stevie Ray Vaughn for good results (at least, I like this cover):

Remarkably detailed. I bet he put hundreds of hours of practice into it.

Likes Arjan82
  • #1,395
Arjan82 said:
Funny, I never realized the version I listened to was a cover :)

Love this version as well!

But for me this is an absolutely phenomenal version, by Patricia Barber (which I thought was original):

Also in live form:

I was in tears listening to that.

• Love
Likes pinball1970 and Arjan82
  • #1,396
Ramsey Lewis Trio plays Summer Breeze. The star is bass viol player Cleveland Eaton. Wow!

To an ebass player that style is immediately recognizable as that of Jamie Jamerson of Motown fame. Playing this way with the high action and string tension of a bass viol must be pretty hard to do. So hard that he's sweating heavily. Maybe that explains why this didn't catch on even though it sounds great.

In case you don't know, old time ebass players pretty much think that Jamie was the first to really do something with that instrument. I lived in nearby Ann Arbor so the Motown sound was everywhere.

Likes pinball1970 and Arjan82
  • #1,397
Hornbein said:
Ramsey Lewis Trio plays Summer Breeze. The star is bass viol player Cleveland Eaton. Wow!

Wow indeed. I love the interplay between the bass and pianist!

• #1,398
Victim of Changes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_of_Changes_(song) (1976)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judas_Priest

JUDAS PRIEST 🤘 Victim of Changes ! “.. just WOW!!” #1983 #HeavyMetal [HDadv Remastered - MikeNadi ]

(2017) Judas Priest - Victim of Changes - Chicago School of Rock - MidWest Concert Video

(2021) Judas Priestess: "Victim of Changes" (Judas Priest Cover) Live 11/12/21 King of Clubs, Columbus, OH

(2010) Judas Priest "victim of changes" cover Junk Priest Osaka Japan - Teruzo Iwasa

(2017) Victim Of Changes - Judas Priest cover by Bohle

(2005) Al Atkins OFFICIAL Victim Of Changes

• Forgotten footage of the Al Atkins Band, 2005 with Al Atkins, first lead singer and founder of Judas Priest.
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judas_Priest#Origins_(1969–1974)
    ...Atkins continued to write material for the band—including "Whiskey Woman", which became the base for the Judas Priest staple "Victim of Changes"—but as finances were tight and he had a family to support, he played his last gigs with the band in December 1972. Campbell left soon afterwards, later to surface in the band Machine, and the band enlisted two members of the band Hiroshima: drummer John Hinch and vocalist Rob Halford,...
  • (2004) Al Atkins-Whiskey Woman (Victim Of Changes)
    From one time Judas Priest vocalist, Sun n Steel Fest 2004. Al Atkins wrote this song WHISKEY WOMAN before leaving Priest, which became a PRIEST Classic. The guy who replaced Al, Rob Halford wrote a song called RED LIGHT LADY, and the band put the two songs together and titled it VICTIM OF CHANGES.
  • (1973 audio) Judas Priest Whiskey Woman [Atkins] demo 1973 - vocals with Halford
    Whiskey Woman [Al Atkins] (demo) (1973)
    Line-up: Rob Halford, KK Downing, Ian Hill and John Hinch (1973-74)

Judas Priest line-ups up until this demo recording:
    Al Atkins, Ernest Chataway, Bruno Stapenhill and John Partridge (1969-70)
    Al Atkins, KK Downing, Ian Hill and John Ellis (1970-71)
    Al Atkins, KK Downing, Ian Hill and Alan Moore (1971)
    Al Atkins, KK Downing, Ian Hill and Chris Campbell (1971-1973)

Glenn Tipton joined the band in 1974.
  • (1973 audio) Judas Priest - Red Light Lady Live at Bolton Town Hall (1973) Audio - vocals with Halford

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes jack action and pinball1970
  • #1,399
Romania rocks again.

Fat Bottomed Girls.

I like the way they enjoy being naughty.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
  • #1,400
Frabjous said:
You are comparing the culture of the Japanese capitol to the culture of northern Michigan? If that is a comparison of equals, I feel pretty good about the USA. If I was Japanese, I’d feel pretty insulted.
I have never been to the states but if they like tribute bands I think our guys would fit right in.
Hornbein said:
"What a Diff'rence a Day Made" is a popular song originally written in Spanish by María Grever, a Mexican songwriter, in 1934 with the title "Cuando vuelva a tu lado" ("When I Return to Your Side") and first recorded by Orquesta Pedro Vía that same year. Not available on Youtube, so let's go with Ksenya Nikora & Nikorason'g band.

Cover by Chantal Chamberland

Everyone in jazz calls this What A Difference A Day Makes after Dinah Washington. She had the hit record.

Probably better than Esther Philips version 1975, awful. I always thought it was Eartha Kitt till I went looking.

Back