COVID-19 Coronavirus Containment Efforts

In summary, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is closely monitoring an outbreak of respiratory illness caused by a novel (new) Coronavirus named 2019-nCoV. Cases have been identified in a growing number of other locations, including the United States. CDC will update the following U.S. map daily. Information regarding the number of people under investigation will be updated regularly on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
PeterDonis said:
But that change could be individual people taking common sense precautions because they know about something they didn't before.
People in Wuhan were well aware of the situation by Jan 23. People in Italy knew about their outbreaks as soon as they were detected, but it still spread more (and is still spreading). A lack of awareness of the situation isn't the problem. Sure, there are still some people who claim all this isn't a concern, but they will do that no matter what happens.
PeterDonis said:
14 days seems like the high end of a pretty wide range of 2 - 14 days (although some outliers with longer incubation periods have been reported); the mean appears to be somewhere between 3 and 6 days.
Wuhan kept adding restrictions as far as I know. They made it look like a ghost town. I don't have a detailed timeline, however.

Biology news on Phys.org
PeterDonis said:
It does not happen without some kind of change in the circumstances. But that change could be individual people taking common sense precautions because they know about something they didn't before. I don't think we know how much of the change was due to that vs. the top-down government interventions.

To be clear, I'm not saying the government should do nothing. Since we the people have given the government a number of jobs, including disseminating accurate information, coordinating testing and procuring test kits, analyzing samples, giving good advice to people on what precautions they should take, analyzing all of the available data and trying to make predictions, giving good advice to localities on what actions they should take, etc., obviously the government needs to do those jobs, and we should hold the government accountable for how well it does them.

Well, there were 23 passengers that were let off the Diamond Princess without testing. Why didn't those passengers apply common sense and refuse to leave until they had been tested?
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/22/national/coronavirus-chiba-kumamoto/#.XmXNkkpS-Uk

Risk Assessment of Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 Outbreaks Outside China
Published paper: https://www.mdpi.com/2077-0383/9/2/571/pdf

[abstract]
Abstract: We developed a computational tool to assess the risks of novel Coronavirus outbreaks
outside of China. We estimate the dependence of the risk of a major outbreak in a country from
imported cases on key parameters such as: (i) the evolution of the cumulative number of cases
in mainland China outside the closed areas; (ii) the connectivity of the destination country with
China, including baseline travel frequencies, the effect of travel restrictions, and the efficacy of
entry screening at destination; and (iii) the efficacy of control measures in the destination country
(expressed by the local reproduction number ##R_loc##). We found that in countries with low connectivity
to China but with relatively high ##R_loc##, the most beneficial control measure to reduce the risk of
outbreaks is a further reduction in their importation number either by entry screening or travel
restrictions. Countries with high connectivity but low ##R_loc## benefit the most from policies that further
reduce ##R_loc##. Countries in the middle should consider a combination of such policies. Risk assessments
were illustrated for selected groups of countries from America, Asia, and Europe. We investigated
how their risks depend on those parameters, and how the risk is increasing in time as the number of
cases in China is growing.

Jarvis323 said:
when the scientific research suggests 40 to 70% of the population is likely to get the virus
What I have heard is that there is a potential that 40 to 70% of the population could get infected by the virus. And that controlling the spread is up to us and our societies.

Here's what I am going to do after reading the WHO advice and some suggestions in this thread:

* Wash hands more often and thoroughly. I'm also going to buy some alcoholbased washing solution.
* Avoid touching face with hands and practice respiratory hygiene
* Maintain social distancing and avoid large crowds.
* Buy some more (a little stock) of the things I personally need (food, medications etc) so I don't have to go to stores as many times as usual
* Keep being informed and updated on the development of the virus and containment efforts.

Here in Sweden we have about 200 verified infections, and some schools where there have been infected cases are now temporarily closed.

I'm also thinking of getting a flu shot when I can, because I quite easily get colds and flulike symptoms during the winters.

Edit: Also, I'd like to add that the main symptoms to look out for according to WHO are fever, cough and difficulty breathing.

Last edited:
Likes atyy, chemisttree and jedishrfu
PeterDonis said:
It does not happen without some kind of change in the circumstances. But that change could be individual people taking common sense precautions because they know about something they didn't before. I don't think we know how much of the change was due to that vs. the top-down government interventions.

To be clear, I'm not saying the government should do nothing. Since we the people have given the government a number of jobs, including disseminating accurate information, coordinating testing and procuring test kits, analyzing samples, giving good advice to people on what precautions they should take, analyzing all of the available data and trying to make predictions, giving good advice to localities on what actions they should take, etc., obviously the government needs to do those jobs, and we should hold the government accountable for how well it does them.

Or to give another example: Why did this Chinese couple give false information about their whereabouts, hindering tracing of close contacts for monitoring and quarantining if necessary?
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...uple-charged-infectious-diseases-act-12480170

Is it safe to use the pool in condominium, hotels, resorts? Since it can be transmitted thru respiratory droplets?

PeterDonis said:
14 days seems like the high end of a pretty wide range of 2 - 14 days (although some outliers with longer incubation periods have been reported); the mean appears to be somewhere between 3 and 6 days.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-incubation-period/

I am sorry I made a mistake. In China, people usually say the incubation period is 14 days, which is not precise.

The paper is here: http://jtd.amegroups.com/article/view/36385

I did not read it. I only read a report introducing it in Chinese.

DennisN said:
I'm also thinking of getting a flu shot when I can, because I quite easily get colds and flulike symtoms during the winters.
That’s a good idea. If you do catch this thing it will help your doctor rule out seasonal flu and may help you get COVID-19 test earlier. Might help your close contacts not catch it from you.

Likes bhobba and DennisN
jedishrfu said:
Another recent article from propublica on the virus from a reporter who lived through SARS and reported on Ebola

Very nice.

Thanks
Bill

PeterDonis said:

Here's another story for you:
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/e...secretive-church-at-heart-of-spike-in-s-korea
"Angry netizens, however, are calling her "crazy ajumma" (auntie in Korean) for the way she refused twice to test for the Coronavirus despite developing symptoms such as a sore throat and fever, then attending church twice despite her condition worsening, and how she roamed freely even though she was warded for 10 days in a hospital after a car accident.
The woman also left the hospital to have lunch with friends at a buffet restaurant and spent time at a jimjilbang (Korea spa with large resting areas) in the neighbouring city of Cheongdo, where infections linked to a hospital are multiplying.
She even argued with a health official for an hour before finally agreeing to take the Coronavirus test, according to local reports."

So you the people, need to give the government more jobs, including quarantining the sick and close contacts who have a high chance of developing the disease. This includes cancelling events such as SXSW that may lead to quick spread of the disease. As @Haorong Wu said above, it is a good idea if there are enough facilities to quarantine people away from their families, so that their families don't get the disease. Even if people want to do this, they won't have the facilities. And also, it would be good if the government provided care for COVID-1`9 patients free of charge.

Deeply concerned with the 1,100 crew of the cruise ship which has now been allowed to dock in a port at Oakland...

Only the Americans will be allowed to leave the cruise ship... quarantined in several military bases and those who tested positive to be confined in hospitals...

Foreigners will also be allowed to leave but will ostensibly be flown out in charter flights to their home countries...

And what about the 1,100 crew of the ship?

They are instructed to STAY ON BOARD the ship!

Deeply concerning that the crew will suffer the same consequences of increased contamination when another cruise ship in Japan was kept ashore for 28 days...

kadiot said:
Well, that's a real concern, especially since the crew quarters are anything but OK for a quarantine...

Rive said:
Well, that's a real concern, especially since the crew quarters are anything but OK for a quarantine...
Will the US Immigration’s fears of JUMPING SHIP by the crew trump health concerns?

Overnight. Our cases in the Philippines jump from 5 to 20.

Community transmission is not far behind because many can't be traced to one another. One doesn't even have a passport

I have 3 questions that I'd like to have clear answers now.

1. During a lockdown. Two or three city blocks are quarantined with police checkpoints? What is your experience? How do the people there go to market or grocery if they ran out of stock in that area?

2. It started in a market in Wuhan, and there are now over 100,000 victims from that initial sprout. How does it differ if it started in a market in India, or London, or Seoul? Would it also sprout into 100,000 or more (or even 10,000)?

3. Is Wuhan near the most advanced biotech laboratory in China? It makes me wonder. If you have a computer virus that develops near Silicon Valley that affects worldwide. You won't think it just started in a computer of someone but from expert sources.

Wuhan is near the most advanced laboratory. In fact, it was even mentioned in a Novel. This shows Wuhan has some significance. The following excerpt is just to show there is something to Wuhan, and its not just a normal city but something with biotechnology high techness to it:

Written by Dean Koontz, “The Eyes of Darkness” is a story about a mother who discovers her son Danny is being kept in a military facility after being infected with a man-made microorganism called “Wuhan-400”.

Chapter 39 reads: “To understand it, you have to go back 20 months.

“It was around then that a Chinese scientist named Li Chen defected to the US, carrying a diskette record of China’s most important and dangerous new biological weapon in a decade.

“They call the stuff ‘Wuhan-400’ because it was developed at their RDNA labs outside the city of Wuhan and it was the 400th viable strain of man-made microorganisms created at that research centre."
"

DennisN said:
Here's what I am going to do after reading the WHO advice and some suggestions in this thread
I'm just back from the pharmacy where I got different medication I need and also a disinfectant (hand sanitizer). The public awareness in my neighborhood is clearly visible here: generally less people are outside and less people are visiting stores, and people seem to be more generally aware and careful. The cashier at the hardware store (which usually has many visitors) was wearing gloves, and there was a bottle with disinfectant available for free for pharmacy customers who wanted to clean their hands. Now I'm off to buy some food for me and my cat.

chirhone said:
1. During a lockdown. Two or three city blocks are quarantined with police checkpoints? What is your experience? How do the people there go to market or grocery if they ran out of stock in that area?

There is no need for police to guard those blocks. Almost everyone is aware the situation. There are only several volunteers guarding at gates. In Wuhan, people are not allowed to go out. Instead, volunteers deliver food and daily supplies to every family. People just have to submit their needs on mobilephones.

chirhone said:
2. It started in a market in Wuhan, and there are now over 100,000 victims from that initial sprout. How does it differ if it started in a market in India, or London, or Seoul? Would it also sprout into 100,000 or more (or even 10,000)?

It seems there is evidence that the virus is brought to the market from other places. The origin may not be trackable. However, the market, with high population density, bad ventilation and high moisture, did provide a perfect environment for the virus to spread.

chirhone said:
3. Is Wuhan near the most advanced biotech laboratory in China? It makes me wonder. If you have a computer virus that develops near Silicon Valley that affects worldwide. You won't think it just started in a computer of someone but from expert sources.

I am not sure what you are referring here. If you mean that the virus may be designed by someone, it would seems impossible. I remember there are some paper saying the virus are naturally produced.

chirhone said:
Overnight. Our cases in the Philippines jump from 5 to 20.
The spread is being detected now, that means it began, unseen, weeks ago.

chirhone said:
Wouldn't make a difference if it can't be contained quickly. Every city that is well-connected has the risk of a fast spread. A disease in some remote place in western China might have been easier to contain.
chirhone said:
It's a biological virus, it's a completely different situation to a computer virus (which is always written by a human).
Oh, and don't start with conspiracy theories please, especially not if they are based on misinformation. Here is Reuters actually looking at the book. It has a virus called Wuhan-400 (in the most recent version, earlier it was a Russian virus), but the city is all it has in common with this new virus.

Likes chemisttree and kadiot
mfb said:
...but the city is all it has in common with this new virus.
Yes, we can contain the spread of the virus of misinformation and fear (a.k.a. news virus) by holding that smartphone and forwarding a part of us that we really should just keep to ourselves!

kadiot said:
Yes, we can contain the spread of the virus of misinformation and fear (a.k.a. news virus) by holding that smartphone and forwarding a part of us that we really should just keep to ourselves!

An even better way is for you to stop spreading nutty conspiracy theories.

Vanadium 50 said:
An even better way is for you to stop spreading nutty conspiracy theories.
Did i?

kadiot said:

They are instructed to STAY ON BOARD the ship!

And what would you have them do instead? Imprison them in the US?

Vanadium 50 said:
Have they not heard of the spread of Covid 19 in that cruise ship in Yokohama which was not allowed to dock for 28 days?
Are immigration fears going to trump health concerns of the crew, many of whom are Filipinos?
Is the health concern of crew members of this cruise ship of lower premium than those of the Americans?

I notice that you did not answer my question. Telling.

Vanadium 50 said:
Give them the option to live in whatever place the US can arrange, even if they cannot leave that place? Better than staying on the ship for sure.

That's at least an answer. What happens if they change their minds?

Vanadium 50 said:
I notice that you did not answer my question. Telling.
No need. Our Department of Foreign Affairs already know the number of Filipino crews and are preparing their repatriation. Thank you.

chemisttree said:
When I see medical experts saying things like we have a strategic reserve of masks and other PPE for use by healthcare providers in one breath and then say those same masks are useless for the general public, I can spot the lie easily.

All I can do is again reefer to Professor Nigel McMillan who also teachers this stuff - see from 8 minutes on:
https://www.2hd.com.au/2020/02/25/b...el-mcmillan-on-the-spread-of-the-coronavirus/

chemisttree said:
I am no layman.

Neither is he.

If you think this is some kind of 'con' then as one comment intimated - he was skeptical, as am I.

Thanks
Bill

Haorong Wu said:
There is no need for police to guard those blocks. Almost everyone is aware the situation. There are only several volunteers guarding at gates. In Wuhan, people are not allowed to go out. Instead, volunteers deliver food and daily supplies to every family. People just have to submit their needs on mobilephones.

Good. I thought police would man some checkpoint. In our country. The police are most feared because many are masterminds of the criminal organizations (reference Nation Police Chief is Crime Head too https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-50120723 are you sure no police is involved in lockdown anywhere? )
It seems there is evidence that the virus is brought to the market from other places. The origin may not be trackable. However, the market, with high population density, bad ventilation and high moisture, did provide a perfect environment for the virus to spread.
I am not sure what you are referring here. If you mean that the virus may be designed by someone, it would seems impossible. I remember there are some paper saying the virus are naturally produced.

I thought there was a real high tech biolab near Wuhan. I read cnn the scientists swore they didnt create it. Can someone give the reference to clear this up (about china's most advanced lab near Wuhan)?

(Edit: Pls confirm or disconfirm this. One of china most advanced labs is near Wuhan right? https://www.thestar.com.my/news/reg...fringe-theory-linking-coronavirus-to-lab-leak

Last edited:
chirhone said:
Good. I thought police would man some checkpoint. In our country. The police are most feared because many are masterminds of the criminal organizations (reference Nation Police Chief is Crime Head too https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-50120723 are you sure no police is involved in lockdown anywhere? )

I am not in Wuhan, but my friend there told me there is no need for police at the gates unless necessary.

Police play in another role. There are district police who are responsible to checking everyone in his or her area is healthy. Also police are drivers, nurses or repairers. I mean, if you are tripped, you can ask police to help you get home; if you feel not well, you can not go to hopital by yourself under lockdown, but you can ask police to drive you there.

Besides, police are highly respected in China. If we run into troubles, we would seek help from police at the first time. I am sorry I could not imagine police are feard by their own people.

There is a P4 lab in Wuhan. This is the reason why we are optimistic at the early period because we believed that with such a high level lab, the virus can be under control. But it turned out to be wrong.

Likes bhobba and atyy
Haorong Wu said:
I am not in Wuhan, but my friend there told me there is no need for police at the gates unless necessary.

Police play in another role. There are district police who are responsible to checking everyone in his or her area is healthy. Also police are drivers, nurses or repairers. I mean, if you are tripped, you can ask police to help you get home; if you feel not well, you can not go to hopital by yourself under lockdown, but you can ask police to drive you there.

Besides, police are highly respected in China. If we run into troubles, we would seek help from police at the first time. I am sorry I could not imagine police are feard by their own people.

There is a P4 lab in Wuhan. This is the reason why we are optimistic at the early period because we believed that with such a high level lab, the virus can be under control. But it turned out to be wrong.

How many P4 labs in china? What areas have them? What is the most advanced one? P4 stands for level 4 (P?)

chirhone said:
How many P4 labs in china? What areas have them? What is the most advanced one? P4 stands for level 4 (P?)
Google is your friend. Start by spending 15 seconds there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosafety_level

• Haha
Likes phinds
Haorong Wu said:

It is not yet clear how this particular Coronavirus was produced, but it seems closely related to coronaviruses found in bats and pangolins.
https://nextstrain.org/groups/blab/sars-like-cov?c=host

Likes DennisN and bhobba
Two recent articles from Reuters, one regarding measures in Europe and one regarding world markets:

(Italy currently has the second-highest death toll after China and are taking a number of various measures which are described in the article)
Article said:
Italy’s prime minister promised “massive shock therapy” to beat the Coronavirus on Monday and urged Europe to act decisively after markets plunged and his country sealed off much of its wealthy industrial north.
France echoed Giuseppe Conte’s call for action, saying Europe must come up with a “strong, massive and coordinated response” and euro zone finance ministers, meeting next week, must decide on a stimulus plan to avoid economic crisis.
“We will not stop here,” Conte told the daily La Repubblica. “We will use a massive shock therapy. To come out of this emergency we will use all human and economic resources.”

And markets are taking hits:

chemisttree said:
That’s a good idea. If you do catch this thing it will help your doctor rule out seasonal flu and may help you get COVID-19 test earlier. Might help your close contacts not catch it from you.

Here is Aus the flu season is a couple of months away, but to help free resources to fight coronovirus CSR that manufactures the vaccine is strengthening it. I know I will get a call from my doctor to come in and get the shot as soon as its released - but likely I will ring up and make an appointment before.

Thanks
Bill

Likes chemisttree