COVID-19 Coronavirus Containment Efforts

In summary, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is closely monitoring an outbreak of respiratory illness caused by a novel (new) Coronavirus named 2019-nCoV. Cases have been identified in a growing number of other locations, including the United States. CDC will update the following U.S. map daily. Information regarding the number of people under investigation will be updated regularly on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
  • #1,191
phinds said:
What do you all think?

I think restaurants that do proper social distancing in seating, and proper hygiene in cooking, plus plenty of hand sanitizing stations can remain open without any issues.

Not knowing New York I can't speak to the other issues eg it may be that its just not possible and/or realistic to maintain proper social distancing in the city unless roads are closed.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
  • #1,192
phinds said:
I have it from a so-far accurate source (he told me the NY restaurants would be closed then day before Cuomo closed them) that Cuomo is going to shut down the NY borders to all but essential travel (mail, food, gas, etc deliveries) in and out. I can't decide whether I hope that's just a rumor or think it's a good idea. I'm leaning to good idea if it doesn't go on for too long. What do you all think?
Won't closing the roads to travelers cause huge amounts of backed up traffic?

Likes hagopbul
  • #1,193
Ygggdrasil said:
get FDA approval

that means about 3 years starting from theoretical studies to paper work to lab setup , to data analyses , until fda and mass production

best
hagop

hope you are all safe and fine in this troubling times
this is my second day of quarantine and i start reading we should put a thread for members activities and what they are doing during the quarantinejust don't panic

Last edited:
  • #1,194
by the way it is covering 150 countries ?

• #1,195
I just saw an interview with Professor Paterson, UQ Center for Clinical Research director. He is very excited and starting clinical trials of a potential cure in 50 Australian hospitals:
https://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/cure-found-for-coronavirus-in-australia/3973564/

Thanks
Bill

• #1,196
Evo said:
Yeah, but I'm guessing only for the first week or two...

• #1,197
Evo said:
That's one of a number of good questions. I suspect I haven't even thought of all the ramifications but now that our tri-state area has jointly shut down restaurants, etc. it likely isn't necessary anyway. Probably it WAS just a rumor.

• #1,198
In NYC, a bigger issue than roads is public transportation. They frequently have >50 people in railroad and subway cars, and sometimes on buses, and often waiting on the train platforms and bus stops. But if they stopped all transportation, then nobody could get to work including police and hospital employees.

• #1,199
hagopbul said:
that means about 3 years starting from theoretical studies to paper work to lab setup , to data analyses , until fda and mass production

best
hagop

For the CRISPR-based methods, both companies already have working prototypes of the test (https://www.broadinstitute.org/files/publications/special/COVID-19 detection (updated).pdf https://mammoth.bio/wp-content/uplo...ing-CRISPR-diagnostics-SARS-CoV-2-DETECTR.pdf), so they are well past the theoretical studies and lab setup. They are seeking emergency use authorization from the FDA which is likely to be quicker than the standard timeline for FDA approval. Not sure what the capacity of these companies is for mass production and distribution, however.

• #1,200
anorlunda said:
In NYC, a bigger issue than roads is public transportation. They frequently have >50 people in railroad and subway cars, and sometimes on buses, and often waiting on the train platforms and bus stops. But if they stopped all transportation, then nobody could get to work including police and hospital employees.

IIRC, in Wuhan (also a big, modern metro), pretty much EVERYONE was locked in, except for government workers and essential workers (hospitals, obviously). They delivered food and essentials to people.

Could that work for NYC? Could everyone be forced to stay in - enforced by police. And, then, you have a group of volunteers and government workers deliver things to people (non-essential workers) for a month or two?

It'd be miserable, but a way to prevent a health system overcrowding disaster if COVID19 ramped up. High crime neighborhoods would also need extra policing. This sort of idle time, lockdown, and lack of money from commission of crime could cause criminals to "act up."

Likes DennisN
  • #1,201
kyphysics said:
Could everyone be forced to stay in - enforced by police. And, then, you have a group of volunteers and government workers deliver things to people (non-essential workers) for a month or two?
What police? What government workers? What doctors? What nurses? What bus drivers? Those people have children to care for and public transportation needs too, otherwise they can't work. In big cities, many people don't own cars.

I saw the Emergency Manager in Boston say that it was his agency's responsibility to deliver food, medicine, and essentials to anyone under isolation or quarantine. But if we shut down transportation, his workers can not perform those services.

Likes PeroK and russ_watters
  • #1,202
anorlunda said:
What police? What government workers? What doctors? What nurses? What bus drivers? Those people have children to care for and public transportation needs too, otherwise they can't work. In big cities, many people don't own cars.

I saw the Emergency Manager in Boston say that it was his agency's responsibility to deliver food, medicine, and essentials to anyone under isolation or quarantine. But if we shut down transportation, his workers can not perform those services.
Transportation workers would still show up in my scenario.

Childcare is something I hadn't thought about. Time to Google Wuhan's lockdown protocol. I seem to recall they did this, so that's why I made the comment. *time to research*

• #1,203
kyphysics said:
Could that work for NYC? Could everyone be forced to stay in - enforced by police. And, then, you have a group of volunteers and government workers deliver things to people (non-essential workers) for a month or two?
With 8 million + people? No.

• #1,204
My dog keeps trying to give me a coronavirus...

1584393503004.jpeg

• Haha
Likes DennisN, Klystron, Haorong Wu and 7 others
  • #1,205
Mondayman said:
They all bought mountains of toilet paper. I bought a bidet 😂.

Seriously though, I see no point in me or other healthy people leaving their house to go get tested and possibly get infected by other people.
Smart man!

Likes hagopbul
  • #1,206
chemisttree said:
Are you sure that’s the reason?😷

The checkpoint could use big sack to cover each person and insert the thermometer in the anus. But the problem is, the vagina is very near the anus. Some as short as 1 inch. If there is wrong insertion, it could cause Urinary Track Infection.

Hence it is decided to initiate Wuhan style Total Lockdown. This means no more checkpoints as people are demanded to stay home. Military and police man the streets and anything caugh walking would be scrutinized or followed.

https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/03/16/20/duterte-places-luzon-under-enhanced-community-quarantine-to-fight-covid-19

Can this contain the virus? How effective is it? But in Italy, there is total lockdown yet so many patients still end up in hospitals.

The World Health Organization projected we would have 75,000 infections in the next 5 weeks unless we initiate total Lockdown (even if we only have 142 infected and `12 deaths).

https://kami.com.ph/107943-dilg-who-projects-75000-coronavirus-cases-5-months-ph.html

Because of the warning by WHO and uncertainties or possible wrong thermometer entries. We initiated total lockdown.

Likes bhobba
  • #1,207
anorlunda said:
In Philly, today, a bunch of conductors didn't show up for work this morning, presumably out of fear of being packed-into a metal tube with a whole bunch of people, and a bunch of trains had to be cancelled. "A bunch" is only a baker's dozen, but it made the radio and news:
https://www.inquirer.com/health/cor...-coronavirus-fare-refund-credit-20200316.html

Likes Keith_McClary
  • #1,209
It's time to think seriously about the economic repercussions of the current containments efforts. Millions will be without jobs maybe for months in the service sector. This will have a huge negative effect on the entire economic system. Are we really burning economic fuel for the best long term containment effect? Is the risk of a worldwide depression by also isolating the 80% that won't likely have serious health issues after infection and recovery (and are tested not to be virus carriers) really the best way to handle the current CV infection rate? I don't know but it seems to me that a total national Bay Area shutdown could be even more damaging in the long run.

Likes PeroK, BillTre and russ_watters
  • #1,210
nsaspook said:
It's time to think seriously about the economic repercussions of the current containments efforts. Millions will be without jobs maybe for months in the service sector. This will have a huge negative effect on the entire economic system. Are we really burning economic fuel for the best long term containment effect? Is the risk of a worldwide depression by also isolating the 80% that won't likely have serious health issues after infection and recovery (and are tested not to be virus carriers) really the best way to handle the current CV infection rate? I don't know but it seems to me that a total national Bay Area shutdown could be even more damaging in the long run.
Agreed. Right now it does not seem we are weighing the risks, but only thinking "stop Coronavirus at all costs". The costs should be considered.

Likes bhobba and BillTre
  • #1,212
Inevitably some trade-offs will have to be made.

Especially if the current approach of flattening the curve succeeds, then there will be a longer lasting situation of people potentially getting infected rather than a quick nasty spike of most people getting infected all at once. Although good from a medical point of view, it will exacerbate the financial problems.

Besides the economy vs. medical consideration, there will also be the interruptions of many other activities and how to best respond to the complex developing situation and promote a more rapid recovery.

Of course all this is inherently political and the decisions made will be political (so it seems).
PF will have to come to some decisions about what kind of discussion to permit.

Likes Keith_McClary, chemisttree and nsaspook
  • #1,213
russ_watters said:
Agreed. Right now it does not seem we are weighing the risks, but only thinking "stop Coronavirus at all costs". The costs should be considered.

All I'm saying is that the response to seasonal to flu outbreaks that kill thousands a year, every year as been mainly mitigation focused on specific populations. Common Flu risk has been factored in and accepted as a cost of living our lives in a world filled with risk. If we change (what are the criteria?) to the mass confinement model for those types of risks what will be the likely repercussions of that change?

Likes russ_watters
  • #1,214
chirhone said:
Hence it is decided to initiate Wuhan style Total Lockdown. This means no more checkpoints as people are demanded to stay home. Military and police man the streets and anything caugh walking would be scrutinized or followed.

Logically that should really help. Interestingly countries doing well like Singapore do other things as well:
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/13/...-learn-from-singapore-hk-bociurkiw/index.html
'Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has said community transmission can be prevented "if countries detect, treat, test, isolate, trace, and mobilize their people in the response."'

And get this one 'When the island's younger citizens were found to be neglecting their elderly parents, for example, the government gave seniors the right to sue their offspring for "lack of maintenance."'. Amazing.

Thanks
Bill

• #1,215
nsaspook said:
All I'm saying is that the response to seasonal to flu outbreaks that kill thousands a year, every year as been mainly mitigation focused on specific populations. Common Flu risk has been factored in and accepted as a cost of living our lives in a world filled with risk. If we change (what are the criteria?) to the mass confinement model for those types of risks what will be the likely repercussions of that change?
There is important differences between the flu and corona virus:
Corona virus has a higher death rate (at least for certain populations).
There is no immunity in the population, so many more can get sick and they can get sick all at once, which would overwhelm the health system's capacity.

Likes Keith_McClary, chemisttree and bhobba
  • #1,216
russ_watters said:

I gave it my like because I think you are right. But some are saying because of the exponential nature of this you should go hard as early as possible - and by hard they mean until the people say you are overreacting. It's an interesting view.

Thanks
Bill

Likes BillTre
  • #1,217
BillTre said:
Especially if the current approach of flattening the curve succeeds, then there will be a longer lasting situation of people potentially getting infected rather than a quick nasty spike of most people getting infected all at once. Although good from a medical point of view, it will exacerbate the financial problems.

I posted before a professor at our local university thinks he has found the 'cure':
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-australia-queensland-researchers-find-cure-want-drug-trial/news-story/93e7656da0cff4fc4d2c5e51706accb5

It will be tested at 50 hospitals last I heard (they are looking for more if I recall correctly). Of course the test may find - nice try but no prize. However if it does work it would make a big difference in treating those that go to hospital. I think we should go hard, but be flexible enough to change strategy as we find out more.

A little worrying though is they are using 'crowd funding' - that's crazy - they only need $750,000. Our government alone is spending billions on other measures.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
  • #1,218
russ_watters said:
Right now it does not seem we are weighing the risks, but only thinking "stop Coronavirus at all costs".

As was pointed out in a press conference today, the steps that many people think would be 'more reasonable' are based on reports/results from several days to a week ago. What people don't realize is that the situation has changed, for the worse, since then. That is why recommendations/restrictions seem too extreme, they are addressing the current situation, not the previous one.

For those that are interested, here is a link to todays Press Conference given by Pres. Trump and several medical experts. Some is politics but there is a fair amount of actual information in it too. Downside: it goes on for 55 minutes.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes bhobba
  • #1,219
kyphysics said:
Creating a DVD/movie (I buy/rent them on YouTube) binge watching list - so far I've got:

1.) Contagion (virus movie)
2.) The Martian (isolation/survival film)
3.) Castaway (isolation/survival film)

who wants to make some recommendations?
"Robinson Caruso" for classic lovers and "Swiss Family Robinson" for Disney fans.

Various films based on Richard Matheson's novel "I Am Legend", such as "The Omega Man" (1971) staring Charlton "Moses" Heston; the latter being one of the early killer-vamp-virus flicks. Will Smith starred in this 2007 remake including a very smart dog.

Speaking of smart dogs, the movie "A Boy and His Dog" 1975 is among the first and funniest post-apocalypse avant-garde survival flicks. Also on Prime video.

Since @bhobba posted about psoriasis and treatments, the definitive related art must be Dennis Potter's play/script/novel "The Singing Detective".

BBC aired a brilliant version of The Singing Detective" (1986) staring Michael Gambone, Patrick Malahide and young Joanne Whalley. More recently (2003) Robert Downey Jr. played the eponymous character. Yes, methotrexate as a treatment is featured in song and dance.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0314676/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
1584425011220.png

Last edited:
  • #1,220
Italy is under comlete lockdown but it records 350+ deaths in single day. How is virus transmitted during complete lockdown? Our groceries and essentials remain open (all else are close) and there are long lineups with customers close to one another. Is this the mode of transmission in Italy?

• #1,221
What is the percentage of false positive in the current testing equipments ?

How much time is needed to find out about this false positive ?

• #1,222
chirhone said:
Italy is under comlete lockdown but it records 350+ deaths in single day. How is virus transmitted during complete lockdown?
The lockdown affects the new infections only, not the newly discovered ill or new deaths. The number of the newly discovered ill is expected to stop growing only after ~ two weeks.

Ps.: like in Hubei, graph is from here
1*r-ddYhoUtP_se6x-NOEinA.png

Likes BillTre, bhobba and chirhone
  • #1,223
I'm in guangzhou, China. On the second day after academician li lanjuan proposed to the state on January 22 that "wuhan must be closed down", China resolutely took measures to close down the city, which prevented the outbreak of the epidemic in the first place. Thanks to the right decision, the outbreak in our country is now pretty clear and almost under control. So the best way to deal with this outbreak is for everyone to stay at home and be quarantined and work together to stop the source of infection and get this virus over with. Our country and people are very friendly and will try our best to help people around the world fight the virus during this time of crisis. Good luck to all of you.:sun:

Likes mattt, Tom.G, BillTre and 4 others
  • #1,224
kyphysics said:
Everyone should have some hand sanitizer, but hoarders who deprive others should read this:

The week that changed lives: For one Garner family, sanitizer shortage puts a life at risk
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article241193256.htmlIf you have a few months' supply - great. If you have 10 years worth and people like this cannot access any, then in emergencies like COVID19, that is practically criminal.
DennisN said:
I will try to find the email to the journalist who wrote the article to get the contact info to the family.
If I succeed I will try to locate hand sanitization and send it to them. But it would take some time for a delivery from Sweden to the US, so if anyone here reading this is in the US and have access to available hand sanitization it would go much faster.

WWGD said:
Ok, please post if you get it. Good job.

@WWGD :

As I said, I managed to find the mother of the family on facebook and I contacted her. And I just got a reply from her:
Mother of family said:
Hi Dennis!
Once I put our request on FB and NextDoor, our community responded in a huge way.
They have shared so much with us. I've located three families like ours to share with them everything that's been given to us!
So we are good--thank you for your kindness!
I told her that washing hands with soap and warm water is a good alternative if and when hand sanitizers are not available. I also gave her the link to the WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) advice for the public. And then I wished them good health and good luck.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Tom.G and kyphysics
  • #1,225
yiqingtu.jpg

This is the epidemic trend chart of our country. From the analysis of the chart, I think the effective measures taken by our country are as follows:
1) close the city all over the country, stop all gathering activities, and try to isolate people at home.
2) send medical teams and donations from all over the country to support key epidemic areas, so that local hospitals can fully identify and treat patients and control the source of infection.
3) timely take measures to trace the source of infection outside the epidemic area to control it and timely block it.
4) the data of the epidemic situation is transparent, and the virus epidemic should be disclosed in time so that people can avoid going near that place.

We hope to have the epidemic place, we should stay at home to play, or learn something new, as far as possible to avoid going out of the close contact between people, must wear a protective mask, touch the public place to wash their hands, this is a more effective way.